CSNbbs
OT: Football conference championship games - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: OT: Football conference championship games (/thread-865135.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: OT: Football conference championship games - doss2 - 12-01-2018 11:58 PM

(12-01-2018 11:03 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  Assuming Clemson hangs on to win...

CFP Playoff Tickets Punched:
Bama
Clemson
Kelly's Heroes

Oklahoma TBD
Georgia TBD

Ohio State Close but no cigar (Underwhelming against NW)

UCF Close but no cigar (25-0 over 2 seasons)

OK avenged it's only loss. GA's second loss Hursts. Nod to OK.

RE: OT: Football conference championship games - Billy_Bearcat - 12-02-2018 12:00 AM

(12-01-2018 01:56 PM)Billy_Bearcat Wrote:  
(12-01-2018 01:53 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  
(12-01-2018 01:02 PM)Bruce Monnin Wrote:  I would be all in on that if it didn't help Ohio State.

I don't see NW hanging with OSU. NW has played really well the 2nd half of the season. They seem to do just enough to win.

Take the Bucks and give the 15. Easiest money you’ll make. Urb is gonna run the score up today.

[Image: K1S46Qa.png]

RE: OT: Football conference championship games - CoachFickFan - 12-02-2018 12:13 AM

There was a Bearcat (former) sighting today.
Bob Golic Jr (who scored 1 TD for the Bearcats)
was the announcer for the Big-12 Dr Pepper scholarship toss.
The tossers use a two handed push.
The nurse beat the social worker for $100k.

RE: OT: Football conference championship games - Loco Bearcat - 12-02-2018 12:39 AM

My playoff Teams
1 Alabama
2 Clemson
3 Ohio St.
4 Oklahoma

Notre Dame is overrated. Barely beat Michigan and Northwestern where as Ohio St whipped them. They barely Pitt who Clemson just crushed, Ball St, Vandy, and USC. They are an Independent and didn't win a Conference Championship like the 4 Teams i would put in.

I would prefer an 8 Team playoff where the higher seed plays its Quarterfinal game at home and then use the Big Bowl games for the Semifinals and National Championship, like they do now. UCF would get in a 8 Team playoff.

RE: OT: Football conference championship games - SuperFlyBCat - 12-02-2018 01:00 AM

(12-02-2018 12:39 AM)Loco Bearcat Wrote:  My playoff Teams
1 Alabama
2 Clemson
3 Ohio St.
4 Oklahoma

Notre Dame is overrated. Barely beat Michigan and Northwestern where as Ohio St whipped them. They barely Pitt who Clemson just crushed, Ball St, Vandy, and USC. They are an Independent and didn't win a Conference Championship like the 4 Teams i would put in.

I would prefer an 8 Team playoff where the higher seed plays its Quarterfinal game at home and then use the Big Bowl games for the Semifinals and National Championship, like they do now. UCF would get in a 8 Team playoff.
Lock,
Alabama
Clemson
ND
Oklahoma

RE: OT: Football conference championship games - Cat-Man - 12-02-2018 01:08 AM

1 Alabama
2 Clemson
3 Ohio St.
4 Oklahoma

I was kind of thinking the same thing. Just because ND is undefeated doesn't mean they should automatically be in. They should give them the UCF treatment.

The only reason I hope it doesn't end up like this is because that's EXACTLY how the powers that be want it to work out. A team representing each of the big four conferences.

RE: OT: Football conference championship games - doss2 - 12-02-2018 06:35 AM

1 Alabama
2 Clemson
3 Ohio St.
4 Oklahoma

Agree and ND beat Navy 44-22 The next week UC beat Navy 42-0

RE: OT: Football conference championship games - Racinejake - 12-02-2018 06:46 AM

(12-02-2018 12:13 AM)CoachFickFan Wrote:  There was a Bearcat (former) sighting today.
Bob Golic Jr (who scored 1 TD for the Bearcats)
was the announcer for the Big-12 Dr Pepper scholarship toss.
The tossers use a two handed push.
The nurse beat the social worker for $100k.

Mike Golic Jr. - And it was his brother, Jake, that played for UC.

RE: OT: Football conference championship games - jarr - 12-02-2018 07:24 AM

I think it may play into our favor this year to not have UCF in the CFP. I don't think this team would really have a chance against Alabama or Clemson, so it may be best they go to a NY6 and beat LSU or someone. This will continue the narrative better that the G5 is getting screwed, rather than getting embarrassed va Alabama.

RE: OT: Football conference championship games - Def Berkkat - 12-02-2018 08:37 AM

It's once again going to be [yawn] Alabama v. Clemson in the championship.

Oklahoma's defense couldn't hold Alabama's cheerleaders to under 40 points and Clemson basically has a first round bye against the Notre Dame Fighting TV Ratings, who gets there for beating their entirely lousy schedule by a touchdown every week.

RE: OT: Football conference championship games - Bruce Monnin - 12-02-2018 08:48 AM

If they claim to go by best teams, then:

My playoff Teams
1 Alabama
2 Clemson
3 Georgia
4 Ohio State

That would be two excellent semi-final games.

RE: OT: Football conference championship games - Ragpicker - 12-02-2018 08:58 AM

(12-02-2018 08:48 AM)Bruce Monnin Wrote:  If they claim to go by best teams, then:

My playoff Teams
1 Alabama
2 Clemson
3 Georgia
4 Ohio State

You guys that pick OSU need to move far away from Columbus. They lost to 6-6 Purdue by 29. Barely beat a bad Nebraska team at home. And it took overtime to win by 1 at Maryland.

Just because they beat an overrated Michigan team at home? Heck, they struggled with a 8-5 Northwestern team that lost to Akron. UC would kill Northwestern.

RE: OT: Football conference championship games - bearcatmark - 12-02-2018 09:00 AM

I think a four team playoff this year should include:
Bama
Clemson
Notre Dame
UCF

As long as you are limiting it to four teams, than give me these 4 unbeatens and lets see what happens.

I think the playoffs will include:
Bama
Clemson
Notre Dame
Oklahoma

The committee isn't going to take UCF, so i HOPE the committee takes Georgia instead of Oklahoma. 1 loss Big Ten Champ (Ohio State in particular) and 1 loss Big 12 Champ (Oklahoma in particular) and a PAC 12 champ all left out seems like a recipe for moving toward change.

RE: OT: Football conference championship games - jarr - 12-02-2018 09:12 AM

The problem with college football is they are too worried about picking the best team instead of letting the results (Ws and Ls) determine inclusion. This is the only major sport where teams have to worry about style points instead of just getting the W or L. Georgia lost 2 games, didnt win their conference, and lost to another CFP already on a neutral field. Why do we need them in the playoff again? Haven't we already determined what we need to know, and maybe they are one of the 4 best teams, but other teams deserve their shot. Georgia has had theirs.

RE: OT: Football conference championship games - bearcatmark - 12-02-2018 09:26 AM

(12-02-2018 08:58 AM)Ragpicker Wrote:  
(12-02-2018 08:48 AM)Bruce Monnin Wrote:  If they claim to go by best teams, then:

My playoff Teams
1 Alabama
2 Clemson
3 Georgia
4 Ohio State

You guys that pick OSU need to move far away from Columbus. They lost to 6-6 Purdue by 29. Barely beat a bad Nebraska team at home. And it took overtime to win by 1 at Maryland.

Just because they beat an overrated Michigan team at home? Heck, they struggled with a 8-5 Northwestern team that lost to Akron. UC would kill Northwestern.

04-bow

RE: OT: Football conference championship games - bearcatlawjd2 - 12-02-2018 09:27 AM

[quote='jarr' pid='15727056' dateline='1543759953']
The problem with college football is they are too worried about picking the best team instead of letting the results (Ws and Ls) determine inclusion. This is the only major sport where teams have to worry about style points instead of just getting the W or L. Georgia lost 2 games, didnt win their conference, and lost to another CFP already on a neutral field. Why do we need them in the playoff again? Haven't we already determined what we need to know, and maybe they are one of the 4 best teams, but other teams deserve their shot. Georgia has had theirs.
[/quote

College football has more in common with professional wrestling than it does professional football.

RE: OT: Football conference championship games - Ragpicker - 12-02-2018 09:48 AM

(12-02-2018 09:27 AM)bearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  [quote='jarr' pid='15727056' dateline='1543759953']
[/quote

College football has more in common with professional wrestling than it does professional football.

Finally, we 100% agree!

RE: OT: Football conference championship games - RealDeal - 12-02-2018 09:48 AM

Letting the results dictate only works if schedules are balanced like they are in pro sports. To find 4 teams from 5 power conferences + ND requires a high degree of subjectiveness. I honestly think if I compare OU and UGA that UGA being top 5 in both offensive and defensive efficiency means a lot to me.

If the goal is truly finding the best 4 teams a team with a last minute loss against the #1 team doesn't deserve to drop from #4. They're essentially getting penalized for having the extra game.

RE: OT: Football conference championship games - bearcatlawjd2 - 12-02-2018 10:09 AM

(12-02-2018 09:48 AM)RealDeal Wrote:  Letting the results dictate only works if schedules are balanced like they are in pro sports. To find 4 teams from 5 power conferences + ND requires a high degree of subjectiveness. I honestly think if I compare OU and UGA that UGA being top 5 in both offensive and defensive efficiency means a lot to me.

If the goal is truly finding the best 4 teams a team with a last minute loss against the #1 team doesn't deserve to drop from #4. They're essentially getting penalized for having the extra game.

But they lost the game. They had their chance and they lost. UCF and every G5 doesn't get a chance. If you win every game you should get a chance to play for the championship. I don't care what conference you play in you deserve a chance to play for it all. Every other sport gives everyone a chance at a championship except college football. Honestly, the BCS was better than this because at least we still could get a split poll finish. Under the BCS scenario we would get these top four games based on the tie-ins and creating compelling match ups: Alabama-Clemson (BCS Title), Georgia-Oklahoma (Sugar), Notre Dame-UCF, (Fiesta) Ohio State-Washington (Rose). I rather go back to a modified BCS that takes the committee out of the equation than continue with the shame going on now.

RE: OT: Football conference championship games - Marcus - 12-02-2018 10:15 AM

No way UGA should be in. Two losses, one by 20 points. Just can’t justify that at all. I agree ND is overrated and will likely get destroyed in the semifinal but they are a lock. I’d put UCF in over OSU/Oklahoma. My guess is it will be OU though for that 4th spot since they revenged their only loss.