CSNbbs
2018/2019 College Football Coaching Carousel - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: 2018/2019 College Football Coaching Carousel (/thread-864515.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

RE: 2018/2019 College Football Coaching Carousel - Bearcat2012 - 11-29-2018 01:24 PM

(11-29-2018 12:27 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  ECU job just opened up.

Colorado: Mike MacIntyre ->
North Carolina: Larry Fedora -> Mack Brown
Maryland: DJ Durkin ->
Louisville: Bobby Petrino ->
Texas Tech: Kliff Kingsbury ->
Kansas: David Beatty -> Les Miles
Georgia Tech : Paul Johnson - >

Western Kentucky: Mike Sanford -> Tyson Helton
Massachusetts: Mark Whipple ->
Charlotte: Brad Lambert ->
Texas State: Everett Withers -> Jake Spavital
Bowling Green: Mike Jinks -> Scot Loeffler
Central Michigan: John Bonamego ->
East Carolina: Scottie Montgomery ->

I'm going to take Mike Houston to Charlotte off the board . While it sounds like a done deal , it doesn't sound like he's officially committing to anything while James Madison is still in the playoffs. Now with ECU's hat in the ring , they may try to come after him as well

http://footballscoop.com/news/mike-houston-ive-offered-charlotte-job-thats/

Thursday AM Update> East Carolina has fired Scottie Montgomery. Today. Sources tell FootballScoop part of the reasoning is to go after Houston. Stay tuned…

RE: 2018/2019 College Football Coaching Carousel - Cataclysmo - 11-29-2018 01:25 PM

(11-29-2018 01:21 PM)bearcatseminole Wrote:  Sort of related, but at what point do we consider bringing Shaq Washington back in the fold as a coach? I think he'll probably coach one more season at Maple Heights and then I think he'll be back on the collegiate sideline. He's *only* 24, so maybe he'll come back as a GA?

He's doing amazing work with his high school alma mater. (12-1 in his first season)!

Shaq Washington All-Ohio Division II Coach of the Year - 2018

He's probably making a decent salary coaching high school ball. It'd be a tough sell to ask him to give that up for a GA position.

That being said, Tommy Tuberville once stated that he gave up a 6-figure salary coaching high school ball to join Jimmy Johnson's staff at the U. So perhaps that's just the way it goes.

Even still, I'd think a player development position, a la Doug Rosfeld, might make more sense.

RE: 2018/2019 College Football Coaching Carousel - BearcatMan - 11-29-2018 01:29 PM

(11-29-2018 01:25 PM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  
(11-29-2018 01:21 PM)bearcatseminole Wrote:  Sort of related, but at what point do we consider bringing Shaq Washington back in the fold as a coach? I think he'll probably coach one more season at Maple Heights and then I think he'll be back on the collegiate sideline. He's *only* 24, so maybe he'll come back as a GA?

He's doing amazing work with his high school alma mater. (12-1 in his first season)!

He's probably making a decent salary coaching high school ball. It'd be a tough sell to ask him to give that up for a GA position.

That being said, Tommy Tuberville once stated that he gave up a 6-figure salary coaching high school ball to join Jimmy Johnson's staff at the U. So perhaps that's just the way it goes.

Even still, I'd think a player development position, a la Doug Rosfeld, might make more sense.

Ehhhhh....this ain't Texas. I'd venture a guess at under $15,000. Shaq would be a solid hire as the Director of Player Development though, I completely agree.

With that being said, to make it to the Elite 8 in the state with only two all-state performers is pretty great, definitely shows that he has the chops.

RE: 2018/2019 College Football Coaching Carousel - BearcatMan - 11-29-2018 01:30 PM

Kendall Briles just got a 3 year, $2,000,000 extension at Houston as their OC...that's the new G5 coordinator benchmark, can we afford to pay Freeman anywhere close though?

RE: 2018/2019 College Football Coaching Carousel - CliftonAve - 11-29-2018 01:37 PM

^^ Currently we have Greg Scruggs for that position, who appears to be pretty dynamic and has the full support CLF and the athletic department.

The current offensive GA played WR for Joker at UK. Mike Hartline is the Quality Control guy and he too played for Joker. Mike's brother played at OSU and I am going to assume there is a close relationship with CLF.

We now have a number of grads out there coaching at various levels of football and doing well (Walter Stewart, Shaq, DeAngelo Smith, etc.). We can't bring 'em all in here folks-- and I would want to.

RE: 2018/2019 College Football Coaching Carousel - Banter - 11-29-2018 01:43 PM

(11-29-2018 01:37 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  

We now have a number of grads out there coaching at various levels of football and doing well (Walter Stewart, Shaq, DeAngelo Smith, etc.). We can't bring 'em all in here folks-- and I would want to.

Sometimes I think it is better that they earn their coaching chops elsewhere and join the staff when they are a bit more experienced like Geno or Mickens. We don't have to raise them up their entire career.

RE: 2018/2019 College Football Coaching Carousel - CliftonAve - 11-29-2018 01:43 PM

(11-29-2018 01:30 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  Kendall Briles just got a 3 year, $2,000,000 extension at Houston as their OC...that's the new G5 coordinator benchmark, can we afford to pay Freeman anywhere close though?

Saw that number this morning and it astounds me. I guess the thing is we can always come up with that number, but the question is where is it going to come from and what is the universities tolerance for it? Its not coming from revenue from the conference or ticket sales, so it would have to come from:

1. Taking some money out of the budget that is ear-marked for another sport. NOT LIKELY

2. Increasing the athletic department budget from the university budget.

3. Extend the hand out to the big donors again to further fund the athletic department's budget to pay for it.

4. Increase student fees

5. Significantly raise ticket prices next season.

RE: 2018/2019 College Football Coaching Carousel - Marcus - 11-29-2018 01:57 PM

A lot of Butch Jones smoke for the ECU job. LOL

Also, been seeing Derek Mason's name mentioned quite a bit for Colorado. I would think he'd jump at that if offered.

RE: 2018/2019 College Football Coaching Carousel - Marcus - 11-29-2018 02:01 PM

(11-29-2018 12:00 PM)AeroCat Wrote:  If Fick bolts, would Freeman be able to step in? I like the continuity.

Obviously he doesn't have much experience, but he's shown a helluva knack for coaching.

IMO, he's nowhere near ready. As for a list, I have no clue where I'd start. Do you bring Butch Jones back? I'd say no even though he'd likely jump at the chance. Do you go after a coach who's been let go at a P5 school? Go the P5 coordinator route again? Do you go after someone like a Hugh Freeze who's a great coach but has obvious baggage?

RE: 2018/2019 College Football Coaching Carousel - Banter - 11-29-2018 02:03 PM

(11-29-2018 01:57 PM)Marcus Wrote:  A lot of Butch Jones smoke for the ECU job. LOL

I have said many times before that Butch can be a successful G5 coach. He could possibly last awhile at a AAC school, but we all know he will likely jump at a new job given the chance.

RE: 2018/2019 College Football Coaching Carousel - Marcus - 11-29-2018 02:05 PM

(11-29-2018 02:03 PM)Banter Wrote:  
(11-29-2018 01:57 PM)Marcus Wrote:  A lot of Butch Jones smoke for the ECU job. LOL

I have said many times before that Butch can be a successful G5 coach. He could possibly last awhile at a AAC school, but we all know he will likely jump at a new job given the chance.

He could possibly do well at ECU but that is his maximum ceiling IMO. He'd be a disaster in P5 though. He just can't survive at that level with the way he talks and responds in robotics and clichés to any tough question. It makes him come across as totally clueless about the actual game. People will see right through that immediately and turn on him in an instant.

RE: 2018/2019 College Football Coaching Carousel - TubaCat - 11-29-2018 02:10 PM

Putting an unholy beatdown on Lyle every year would be fun! The student section would be obligated to make a fathead of him:

[Image: Af4F0uF.jpg]

RE: 2018/2019 College Football Coaching Carousel - CliftonAve - 11-29-2018 02:11 PM

(11-29-2018 02:01 PM)Marcus Wrote:  
(11-29-2018 12:00 PM)AeroCat Wrote:  If Fick bolts, would Freeman be able to step in? I like the continuity.

Obviously he doesn't have much experience, but he's shown a helluva knack for coaching.

IMO, he's nowhere near ready. As for a list, I have no clue where I'd start. Do you bring Butch Jones back? I'd say no even though he'd likely jump at the chance. Do you go after a coach who's been let go at a P5 school? Go the P5 coordinator route again? Do you go after someone like a Hugh Freeze who's a great coach but has obvious baggage?

I think Fickell is staying for now...

That being said, I say no to Butch. Second tours rarely work out, with the exception of Bill Snyder at K-State.

You are probably right that Freeman might be a little to green to handle the whistle over at this point-- but then again so was Mike Norvell and he has done well at Memphis. Freeman is a very good recruiter, and like CLF has those OSU chops that give him instant credibility with the high school coaches across the state. I imagine he wouldn't do much different than what CLF is doing in most aspects of managing a program or within a game itself (same focus on defense, running the football and special teams).

RE: 2018/2019 College Football Coaching Carousel - Marcus - 11-29-2018 02:22 PM

(11-29-2018 02:11 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(11-29-2018 02:01 PM)Marcus Wrote:  

I think Fickell is staying for now...

That being said, I say no to Butch. Second tours rarely work out, with the exception of Bill Snyder at K-State.

You are probably right that Freeman might be a little to green to handle the whistle over at this point-- but then again so was Mike Norvell and he has done well at Memphis. Freeman is a very good recruiter, and like CLF has those OSU chops that give him instant credibility with the high school coaches across the state. I imagine he wouldn't do much different than what CLF is doing in most aspects of managing a program or within a game itself (same focus on defense, running the football and special teams).

Good point on Freeman and his ties. His inexperience would be a real concern for me, but you definitely can't overlook the OSU effect in this state. It goes a long way with just about everyone in the HS coaching ranks.

And I'm with you on Butch. It just seems to me like everywhere he leaves, he leaves exposed as a fraud. I just think he may be too tainted to ever come back here and be successful both in recruiting and on the field.

RE: 2018/2019 College Football Coaching Carousel - dsquare - 11-29-2018 02:23 PM

I would not be surprised if Maryland did interview LF. However, i doubt he wants to move to the east coast and end up in the same division as OSU.

RE: 2018/2019 College Football Coaching Carousel - Cataclysmo - 11-29-2018 03:04 PM

(11-29-2018 01:29 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  

Ehhhhh....this ain't Texas. I'd venture a guess at under $15,000. Shaq would be a solid hire as the Director of Player Development though, I completely agree.

With that being said, to make it to the Elite 8 in the state with only two all-state performers is pretty great, definitely shows that he has the chops.

He's head coach, right? Don't they normally find some sort of teaching/administrative position to up their salary? Apples to Oranges here but Rosfeld is making pretty good money at Moeller. In fact, I recall you being one to first mention that on here. I know it's D2 but <15,000 doesn't make sense, even if Shaq is young.

RE: 2018/2019 College Football Coaching Carousel - BearcatMan - 11-29-2018 03:26 PM

(11-29-2018 03:04 PM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  

He's head coach, right? Don't they normally find some sort of teaching/administrative position to up their salary? Apples to Oranges here but Rosfeld is making pretty good money at Moeller. In fact, I recall you being one to first mention that on here. I know it's D2 but <15,000 doesn't make sense, even if Shaq is young.

Yeah, private schools tend to do what they want with positions since most are playing with funny money and don't have the same employment regulations as public schools.

Unless Shaq is a trained educator (which he very well may be, I'm unsure of what his major was here), he isn't teaching there, and he would not be eligible for an administrative position for the same reason. $15,000-$20,000 is a pretty damned good coaching stipend in a middle of the road public district, the only public schools with higher budgets are the high level teams with consistent performance and some serious coaching longevity. Hell, I look at the district where I worked on the staff for a while (largest HS in NW Ohio and one that consistently makes playoffs and who your boys played a few times in the state title game) and their coaching stipend is barely above $10,000.

RE: 2018/2019 College Football Coaching Carousel - Captain Bearcat - 11-29-2018 03:40 PM

(11-29-2018 03:26 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(11-29-2018 03:04 PM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  

Yeah, private schools tend to do what they want with positions since most are playing with funny money and don't have the same employment regulations as public schools.

Unless Shaq is a trained educator (which he very well may be, I'm unsure of what his major was here), he isn't teaching there, and he would not be eligible for an administrative position for the same reason. $15,000-$20,000 is a pretty damned good coaching stipend in a middle of the road public district, the only public schools with higher budgets are the high level teams with consistent performance and some serious coaching longevity. Hell, I look at the district where I worked on the staff for a while (largest HS in NW Ohio and one that consistently makes playoffs and who your boys played a few times in the state title game) and their coaching stipend is barely above $10,000.

I went to a coed Catholic school in Cincy in the late 90s. Our football coach told us that he calculated his hourly pay, and it was about 60 cents an hour. Given the trend in Catholic school budgets since then, I doubt it's gone up. He was a helluva coach, too.

RE: 2018/2019 College Football Coaching Carousel - Bearcat2012 - 11-29-2018 03:49 PM

Kliff Kingsbury seems to be headed to USC to be Offensive Coordinator

RE: 2018/2019 College Football Coaching Carousel - CliftonAve - 11-29-2018 03:52 PM

(11-29-2018 03:49 PM)Bearcat2012 Wrote:  Kliff Kingsbury seems to be headed to USC to be Offensive Coordinator

He's going to have a blast at USC

[Image: Kliff-Kingsbury-Texas-Tech-football-coac...070840.jpg]