CSNbbs
MBB: 3 games in 3 days at Oakland Univ. (Fri-Sun) - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+----- Thread: MBB: 3 games in 3 days at Oakland Univ. (Fri-Sun) (/thread-864184.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

MBB: 3 games in 3 days at Oakland Univ. (Fri-Sun) - Wear Purple - 11-21-2018 08:25 AM

Tough night last night. We are right where I thought we'd be at 4-1. (though I had us losing at Charlotte and winning at home last evening)

Not a bad start through the first one-sixth of the regular season though.

Dukes travel to Oakland U. in Rochester, Michigan, just outside of Pontiac. The schedule:

Fri: at Oakland, 2:30pmET, streamed live via ESPN-3
Sat: vs Northern Illinois, 12pm, no TV or streaming
Sun: vs Oral Roberts, 12pm, no TV or streaming

Oakland: the host Golden Grizzlies are off to a tough start to their season. A member of the Horizon Conference, they have 2 wins against non-D1 programs in blowout fashion, but are 0-3 vs D1 opposition. They lost by 1 to Toledo at home, then followed with a loss by 8 at home to Western Michigan, before losing on the road at UNLV (smart scheduling!) by 13. They play a fast pace, high-scoring game.

Northern Illinois: The Huskies have a similar profile in that they are 2-0 vs non-D1 teams and winless against D1 opponents at 0-1. They face Oral Roberts on Friday before facing the Good Guys. Their lone D1 opponent to date saw NIU lose 88-85 to Northern Kentucky at home.

Oral Roberts: Yet again, the same type of profile. ORU has 2 wins over non-D1 teams, but is 0-4 vs D1 competition. They lost by 34 to open the season at Missouri State. They lost at TCU by 17. They lost at home to California Baptist by 1. Cal Baptist is a recent addition to the WAC and in their first year. ORU also lost at BYU by 20.

3-0 would be great. I think 2-1 is a more reasonable expectation. 1-2 would be a little disappointing considering the competition.

Good luck to the Dukes in Michigan!

RE: MBB: 3 games in 3 days at Oakland Univ. (Fri-Sun) - AssyrianDuke - 11-21-2018 09:17 AM

Need to come back with at least two wins this weekend, but would like to see improvement in shooting and turnovers, especially from Banks and Lewis. I love those guys and the tenacity with which they play, but the turnovers are just crushing my soul! I have a great feeling about this team (and I'm usually a pessimistic guy overall), and look forward to a successful trip for them.

RE: MBB: 3 games in 3 days at Oakland Univ. (Fri-Sun) - Wear Purple - 11-21-2018 09:21 AM

I wonder what's going on with Devon Flowers??? He hasn't dressed for any of the first 5 games. Injured? Being redshirted? Perhaps both? Suspended? Anybody know?

RE: MBB: 3 games in 3 days at Oakland Univ. (Fri-Sun) - olddawg - 11-21-2018 10:34 AM

And Cam Smith too. Dressed but not active yet. Maybe his role this year is more mentor and an emergency sub.

RE: MBB: 3 games in 3 days at Oakland Univ. (Fri-Sun) - Dukester - 11-21-2018 11:00 AM

I'm guessing 1-2

RE: MBB: 3 games in 3 days at Oakland Univ. (Fri-Sun) - Duke Dawg - 11-21-2018 11:59 AM

wait....what??!?

you mean there are 3 other teams who scheduled two Non-D1 opponents?

i could have swore we were the only school in the history of college basketball to do that based on comments on here.

RE: MBB: 3 games in 3 days at Oakland Univ. (Fri-Sun) - jmudukes001 - 11-21-2018 06:06 PM

ESPN Matchup predictor has us going 1-2 although the second game is about 50/50.

MBB: 3 games in 3 days at Oakland Univ. (Fri-Sun) - Centdukesfan - 11-21-2018 09:02 PM

3-0 for the GOAT

RE: MBB: 3 games in 3 days at Oakland Univ. (Fri-Sun) - Wear Purple - 11-23-2018 08:03 AM

Dukes open as 2 pt underdogs at Oakland this afternoon. O/U is 144.5

RE: MBB: 3 games in 3 days at Oakland Univ. (Fri-Sun) - NJDuke97 - 11-23-2018 09:09 AM

(11-21-2018 09:21 AM)Wear Purple Wrote:  I wonder what's going on with Devon Flowers??? He hasn't dressed for any of the first 5 games. Injured? Being redshirted? Perhaps both? Suspended? Anybody know?

I asked the DNR beat writer about this- all 3 (Flowers, Smith, and Phillips) have been practicing but haven't been cleared for action due to injuries. FWIW he said that Flowers looked good in practice the other day. He sounds like someone who will get a shot at the rotation when he's healthy and also someone who is a good outside shooter for his size which this team could use. I also think if/when Smith is healthy he would be a good compliment to Wilson- a shot blocker from 4 to go with Wilson's big body but below the rim style at 5. I've noticed with Phillips out (aside from Jacobs) the Dukes don't have a shot blocking presence and while the rebounding has been solid this hurts when a opposing guard breaks free which has been happening too often early in the season.

RE: MBB: 3 games in 3 days at Oakland Univ. (Fri-Sun) - Wear Purple - 11-23-2018 02:07 PM

FWIW, Northern Illinois defeated Oral Roberts by 21 in the first game at Oakland today

RE: MBB: 3 games in 3 days at Oakland Univ. (Fri-Sun) - Wear Purple - 11-23-2018 02:16 PM

Oakland has moved from a 2pt favorite versus the Dukes to now a 3.5 pt favorite

RE: MBB: 3 games in 3 days at Oakland Univ. (Fri-Sun) - Wear Purple - 11-23-2018 02:49 PM

Dukes down 17-11 early. Wilson has 6 of our first 11.

RE: MBB: 3 games in 3 days at Oakland Univ. (Fri-Sun) - Wear Purple - 11-23-2018 03:00 PM

It's the Mosley & Wilson show so far for the Dukes. Down 25-21 at the 7:23 mark. Mosley has 9 and Wilson has 8 (17 of our 21 so far).

Oakland is not missing much from the field.

RE: MBB: 3 games in 3 days at Oakland Univ. (Fri-Sun) - Wear Purple - 11-23-2018 03:04 PM

Flowers appears to be dressed and on the bench today, FWIW. Cam Smith is on the bench, but wearing sweat clothes.

RE: MBB: 3 games in 3 days at Oakland Univ. (Fri-Sun) - Wear Purple - 11-23-2018 03:11 PM

After starting the season hot as a firecracker, Banks has turned into a turnover machine of late. So far today, 1 pt (1 of 2 at the line), 3 TO's and no assists. 0-for-2 from the field. Only 7 players (5 sophs, 1 Fr., & 1 Sr.) have played for the Dukes so far with just under 3' left.

RE: MBB: 3 games in 3 days at Oakland Univ. (Fri-Sun) - DoubleDDuke - 11-23-2018 03:12 PM

Rotations are way too slow on defense. Nothing seems to change with that. Giving them way too many open looks. To their credit, they've hit quite a few contested shots, too. This team has more talent than we've had the last few years but they just look disjointed out there. Hopefully we have a run in us.

RE: MBB: 3 games in 3 days at Oakland Univ. (Fri-Sun) - Wear Purple - 11-23-2018 03:20 PM

Good Guys down 38-31 at the half. Mosley with 12 and Wilson with 11. Banks was injured and being looked at by the Oakland U team doctor. Fingers crossed. He took an inadvertent shot to the head on a drive to the rim.

RE: MBB: 3 games in 3 days at Oakland Univ. (Fri-Sun) - Hart Foundation - 11-23-2018 03:22 PM

How about their coach’s pink hair. He is all in for the coaches vs cancer game.
The dark court is hideous.
JMU down 7 at the half and are only playing a 7 man rotation.

RE: MBB: 3 games in 3 days at Oakland Univ. (Fri-Sun) - olddawg - 11-23-2018 03:26 PM

I cringe when I see any of our guys attempt a running floater (except Jacobs). My kingdom for an outside shooting presence.