CSNbbs
Most underappreciated stat... - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: Most underappreciated stat... (/thread-863887.html)

Pages: 1 2

Most underappreciated stat... - ApexRedWolf - 11-18-2018 02:00 PM

Cody Grace, punter for A-State, in two seasons played:
102 punts
-7 Punt Return yds
1 touchback.

Bet he doesn't even make the Ray Guy Finalist list.

RE: Most underappreciated stat... - Georgia_Power_Company - 11-18-2018 09:08 PM

(11-18-2018 02:00 PM)ApexRedWolf Wrote:  Cody Grace, punter for A-State, in two seasons played:
102 punts
-7 Punt Return yds
1 touchback.

Bet he doesn't even make the Ray Guy Finalist list.

Wow! That's a good one!

RE: Most underappreciated stat... - moehler - 11-18-2018 09:28 PM

Ya don’t get he isn’t on the list, against us he kept flipping the field with those bomb punts

RE: Most underappreciated stat... - ericsaid - 11-18-2018 10:28 PM

That's astonishing. For comparison, how do other punters stack up? This is obscure so i'm sure some work would be needed to put together some information.

RE: Most underappreciated stat... - Usajags - 11-18-2018 10:31 PM

If he’s that much better then other punters, your school and coaching staff needs to promote this kid to the right people.

RE: Most underappreciated stat... - Senatobia - 11-18-2018 10:55 PM

(11-18-2018 10:31 PM)Usajags Wrote:  If he’s that much better then other punters, your school and coaching staff needs to promote this kid to the right people.

He is............

RE: Most underappreciated stat... - chiefsfan - 11-18-2018 11:01 PM

(11-18-2018 09:28 PM)moehler Wrote:  Ya don’t get he isn’t on the list, against us he kept flipping the field with those bomb punts

Couple reasons, one our offense is strong enough that a lot of times he's pinning punts inside the 20, keeping his yardage average down. Two, he's in the Sun Belt.

If he was in the SEC, he'd be a finalist.

RE: Most underappreciated stat... - GoBigRed26 - 11-18-2018 11:14 PM

(11-18-2018 10:28 PM)ericsaid Wrote:  That's astonishing. For comparison, how do other punters stack up? This is obscure so i'm sure some work would be needed to put together some information.

I was curious about this today, because I felt some on our board were over estimating him, speaking of him leaving school early and/or and getting drafted, when I thought he might not even be the best in our conference (behind Troy and Ga St punters). There’s many ways to value a punter and the most common is how far he can kick it. In that regards, he doesn’t stack up very well. He averages just over 40 yards a punt which is 7th in conference and somewhere beyond 50th in the nation, since the stats I could find only listed top 50. He’s also over 50th in longest punt (62 yds.). However, on the year, we lead the nation in punt defense with -15 yards on 8 returns. We are 2nd in the nation only to Alabama in yards/return avg, since they only have 1 return for -9 yards. We are 17th in the nation in net return yards at a shade over 40 yards per punt. So for a punter, you can’t get a much more solid, dependable guy back there. Every time he punts, you can expect him to flip the field by around 40-45 yards, or put it inside the 10, with no returns. Why is he so effective without spectacular length on his punts? Does he have superb blockers that allow him more time Bedford he punts, or are the gunners super fast getting down the field? Maybe, but the biggest thing is his hang time, averaging 4.8 sec per punt. I don’t know how that ranks, but I’d guess it’s at or close to the top. Grace is a pretty stout dude, and he’s not afraid to hit someone, so he’s a true 11th defender, but there’s never been the need.

Grace and the GaSt punter have both been named to the list of 10 semi finalists for the Ray Guy award. Hopefully both can be finalists, but I’m sure the money is on the TA&M punter to win who averages 51 yards per punt.

RE: Most underappreciated stat... - ericsaid - 11-18-2018 11:18 PM

(11-18-2018 11:14 PM)GoBigRed26 Wrote:  
(11-18-2018 10:28 PM)ericsaid Wrote:  That's astonishing. For comparison, how do other punters stack up? This is obscure so i'm sure some work would be needed to put together some information.

I was curious about this today, because I felt some on our board were over estimating him, speaking of him leaving school early and/or and getting drafted, when I thought he might not even be the best in our conference (behind Troy and Ga St punters). There’s many ways to value a punter and the most common is how far he can kick it. In that regards, he doesn’t stack up very well. He averages just over 40 yards a punt which is 7th in conference and somewhere beyond 50th in the nation, since the stats I could find only listed top 50. He’s also over 50th in longest punt (62 yds.). However, on the year, we lead the nation in punt defense with -15 yards on 8 returns. We are 2nd in the nation only to Alabama in yards/return avg, since they only have 1 return for -9 yards. We are 17th in the nation in net return yards at a shade over 40 yards per punt. So for a punter, you can’t get a much more solid, dependable guy back there. Every time he punts, you can expect him to flip the field by around 40-45 yards, or put it inside the 10, with no returns. Why is he so effective without spectacular length on his punts? Does he have superb blockers that allow him more time Bedford he punts, or are the gunners super fast getting down the field? Maybe, but the biggest thing is his hang time, averaging 4.8 sec per punt. I don’t know how that ranks, but I’d guess it’s at or close to the top. Grace is a pretty stout dude, and he’s not afraid to hit someone, so he’s a true 11th defender, but there’s never been the need.

Grace and the GaSt punter have both been named to the list of 10 semi finalists for the Ray Guy award. Hopefully both can be finalists, but I’m sure the money is on the TA&M punter to win who averages 51 yards per punt.

Can any one speculate, with any sense of credibility, to the tactics used by the coaching staff on Special Teams? Perhaps his short kicks are utilized to reduce opportunities to return the ball. Even if Special Teams touchdowns are rare, reducing the chances to 0% by reducing the distance seems like a logical place to avoid any game-breaking plays by the opposing team.

RE: Most underappreciated stat... - GoBigRed26 - 11-18-2018 11:27 PM

(11-18-2018 11:18 PM)ericsaid Wrote:  
(11-18-2018 11:14 PM)GoBigRed26 Wrote:  

Can any one speculate, with any sense of credibility, to the tactics used by the coaching staff on Special Teams? Perhaps his short kicks are utilized to reduce opportunities to return the ball. Even if Special Teams touchdowns are rare, reducing the chances to 0% by reducing the distance seems like a logical place to avoid any game-breaking plays by the opposing team.

Look, he’s not kicking bloopers over the line of scrimmage. He’s not holding back. If he averages 5 yards further, he’d be 10th. He can kick the ball, but he doesn’t have the ability to completely boom one that flies 60 yards through the air. Most of his punts are fair caught, so his averages don’t get padded by an uncaught ball rolling down the field. Not sure if he has more short yardage punting than others, but that could play a role, as he’s pretty accurate of putting it at the 10yrd line (only 1 touchback) instead of putting too much on it, sending it into the end zone.

RE: Most underappreciated stat... - arkstfan - 11-19-2018 09:59 AM

He has quite a few sub 30 yard punts downed inside the 20.

He has at least one over 60 yards.

If we had a stronger placekicker, Grace's average would be better because we often punt in situations when other schools are seeing a 60% to 75% chance to put three on the board.

RE: Most underappreciated stat... - CoastalAlum2011 - 11-19-2018 10:02 AM

Coastal found a way to keep him in check.

We just let Ark State score every drive so he never came on the field.

See there....strategy....

RE: Most underappreciated stat... - arkstfan - 11-19-2018 10:51 AM

(11-18-2018 09:28 PM)moehler Wrote:  Ya don’t get he isn’t on the list, against us he kept flipping the field with those bomb punts

Went back to look at the game book.
He had a 10 yard mess that he was lucky to get rid of that was downed at the AState 35 and App went four and out AState ball at our 32
48 yards fair catch at the App 32
46 yards to the App 19 with a -1 return to the 18
62 yards downed at the App 3
51 yards fair caught at the App 14
51 yards fair caught at the App 18
50 yards downed at the App 25

Seven punts with an average of 45.4 and four inside the 20.
Of the seven punts, Mountaineers launched a scoring drive on only one drive following a punt and that was an 86 yard drive late in the third.

RE: Most underappreciated stat... - doberman1 - 11-19-2018 11:58 AM

Grace is asked to kick 35 yards and down it inside the 10 a lot. Most of his kicks are very high and fair caught so he doesn't get the benefit of the roll that other punters get. I don't know where those who think he can't boot it a mile and a half get that. He averaged 47 yds at Alabama after muffing the first one and getting it 7 yrds down the field. He can boom them 60-70 yards if we need him to.....in the air. He was noticeably better than Alabama's punter. Plus I pity that one returner who finally returns one against him and gets past the defense. He runs down the sideline and the only one left to beat is Grace. That's going to be a collision the punt returner both remembers and regrets.

RE: Most underappreciated stat... - WinstonTheWolf - 11-20-2018 02:07 PM

You can hear the ball explode off Grace's foot. He just kicks the **** out of it. Hang time is what is different - gunners always standing there waiting for the fair catch, and last year would just catch the ball themselves.

RE: Most underappreciated stat... - tapate50 - 11-20-2018 02:38 PM

We can barely get a punt off much less average over 40 yards.

Impressive.

RE: Most underappreciated stat... - WinstonTheWolf - 11-20-2018 07:48 PM

[Image: DpG6j5BXgAEHlOp.jpg]

RE: Most underappreciated stat... - troutbummike - 11-21-2018 10:20 AM

I was cracking up at that Popeye mofo during our game.

RE: Most underappreciated stat... - sdcritter - 11-21-2018 11:19 AM

Yeah, but when the last guy you have to beat is the punter and you see that guy coming at you...

RE: Most underappreciated stat... - doberman1 - 11-21-2018 12:08 PM

Grace was setting himself up for a professional career in Aussie Rules football. He hurt his knee thus ending that dream. He still can't believe that we have a position in American football where all he has to do is kick. (pass as he still calls it sometimes) Aussie rules football players wear no pads or even a helmet. I bet he thinks our style of football is a bit wussed up compared to knees and elbows flying at you full speed. Those guys get knocked out quite a bit. Considering how long he has been punting, he really is pretty awesome. Plus, our punter can beat up your punter !!!! lol