CSNbbs
The Jauan Wesley conundrum... - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Northern Illinois (/forum-468.html)
+----- Thread: The Jauan Wesley conundrum... (/thread-863554.html)

Pages: 1 2

The Jauan Wesley conundrum... - HW58 - 11-15-2018 10:04 AM

Jauan Wesley has been so frustrating to watch this year it makes my head spin. On the plus side, he's got speed and quickness and must run great routes (I admit to not watching him on a play by play basis) because the kid gets open--wide open--a lot. He's also second on the team in catches (one behind Brown) and is first in yards per catch. That said, I don't recall a #1 receiver at NIU (and I do think he's our #1 based on stats and playing time) drop as many balls as he does. His two drops yesterday were HUGE--the first one would have been a first down on one of our early drives, and the second was the route across the middle one play before the pick 6. He would have run forever on that one, and from the stands the ball appeared to be perfectly thrown. He's also fumbled several times in key spots, and of course, there was the huge mistake in the FSU game where he stepped out of bounds for no reason and cost us a touchdown. Similar to yesterday, FSU scored a couple plays later basically resulting in a 14 point swing. I try hard not to be overly critical of college players--I truly appreciate the time and effort they dedicate to being the best they can be on behalf of our college, and that goes for Jauan as well. But man oh man... 03-banghead

RE: The Jauan Wesley conundrum... - Rabid Squirrel - 11-15-2018 10:09 AM

He and Harmston have hurt the team more than helped. The O would be better with those 2 on the bench. Id use Wesley for just jet sweeps and as a decoy on fly routes to draw the safety help.

RE: The Jauan Wesley conundrum... - badmoonrising13 - 11-15-2018 12:08 PM

Whatever they've been doing in practice to alleviate the situation, it's not working. They've had the whole season to work on this and it's still a problem. So whose fault is it???

RE: The Jauan Wesley conundrum... - 17Huskies - 11-15-2018 12:12 PM

There's a reason he's playing here and not at Iowa, has trouble catching the ball. I'm sure he's not happy about it, feel bad for him.

RE: The Jauan Wesley conundrum... - HW58 - 11-15-2018 12:41 PM

After the pick 6, as Wesley walked off the field, he looked totally deflated, so yeah I feel bad for him, too.

Rabid makes a good point about Harmston. His fumble was a back breaker, and he's definitely had the dropsies like Wesley. If I recall on the play where Harmston fumbled after the catch, wasn't that on like a 3rd and 16 or something like that and he had the first down? I remember Childers staying in the pocket and directing a receiver (Harmston maybe) before throwing a strike. I mean, Childers' frustration level had to be pretty high with all the ineptitude going on last night with his receivers.

RE: The Jauan Wesley conundrum... - badmoonrising13 - 11-15-2018 12:42 PM

He was playing extremely well in the beginning of the year. His issues didn't show up until a week ago.

RE: The Jauan Wesley conundrum... - Dtownboys - 11-15-2018 01:25 PM

There were some blown interference calls too that caused a couple drops. One was Brown though. Overall good receiver but has some faults. All our receivers have them though and we don’t have a clear #1. WR pass on 4th and 2 was a questionable call and tough spot to put the WR in when he’s not used to throwing the ball.

RE: The Jauan Wesley conundrum... - NIU05 - 11-15-2018 02:00 PM

We don't have a #1 WR. Not on the square at this time. What you have an average QB, it really hurts

RE: The Jauan Wesley conundrum... - HuskiePride12 - 11-15-2018 02:14 PM

Lots of drops all around. I don't know what the hell is going on at the TE position. We were recruiting/signing players at that position really well for a few season and between a couple transferring or whatever happened it is not deep at all now. Need to really focus on that position this off-season. A good or even decent tight end opens up a lot in this offense IMO.

RE: The Jauan Wesley conundrum... - Teamduh - 11-15-2018 03:11 PM

(11-15-2018 01:25 PM)Dtownboys Wrote:  There were some blown interference calls too that caused a couple drops. One was Brown though. Overall good receiver but has some faults. All our receivers have them though and we don’t have a clear #1. WR pass on 4th and 2 was a questionable call and tough spot to put the WR in when he’s not used to throwing the ball.
But the pass was there between 2 safeties and 14 just didn't adjust to the flight of the ball. The ball was in the air for 40 yards. 14 needs to run under the ball. He overran it and then reached back 1 handed.

Irony is wesley gave tears a chance to touch it deep which childers rarely does.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

RE: The Jauan Wesley conundrum... - Teamduh - 11-15-2018 03:12 PM

(11-15-2018 02:14 PM)HuskiePride12 Wrote:  Lots of drops all around. I don't know what the hell is going on at the TE position. We were recruiting/signing players at that position really well for a few season and between a couple transferring or whatever happened it is not deep at all now. Need to really focus on that position this off-season. A good or even decent tight end opens up a lot in this offense IMO.
Perhaps last years TE recruit who went juco will be eligible. He double signed to both schools at the time.

RE: The Jauan Wesley conundrum... - Teamduh - 11-15-2018 03:16 PM

(11-15-2018 12:12 PM)17Huskies Wrote:  There's a reason he's playing here and not at Iowa, has trouble catching the ball. I'm sure he's not happy about it, feel bad for him.
That is an unnecessary and flawed dig at NIU. What is the last Iowa wr in the NFL because I can tell you 2 from NIU.

(Fyi, it was iowa st)

RE: The Jauan Wesley conundrum... - cawoo22 - 11-15-2018 03:43 PM

(11-15-2018 01:25 PM)Dtownboys Wrote:  There were some blown interference calls too that caused a couple drops. One was Brown though. Overall good receiver but has some faults. All our receivers have them though and we don’t have a clear #1. WR pass on 4th and 2 was a questionable call and tough spot to put the WR in when he’s not used to throwing the ball.

I'll respectfully disagree with you on the idea that those should have been interference penalties. Just because the receiver goes down after dropping the ball and then makes an ass of himself twice doing the "flag" motion doesn't mean it was actually interference.

I could be wrong. Maybe it was, but I didn't think so at the time. I have no intention of going back and rewatching last night's game. I'll cut Brown some slack on it, too. I think he was just frustrated at the offense's inability to sustain anything. None of those guys were OK with how they played last night. It was just a bad game.

Hey, maybe it was the annual post-MAC West-clinching "WTF is going on here?"-game we usually reserve for our appearances at Ford Field. If we play well the next two weeks, we can consign this one to the bin with all of the inexplicable CMU losses and Ball State in 2005.

RE: The Jauan Wesley conundrum... - NIUHuskie - 11-15-2018 04:03 PM

(11-15-2018 12:41 PM)HW58 Wrote:  After the pick 6, as Wesley walked off the field, he looked totally deflated, so yeah I feel bad for him, too.

I saw Carey give him a pat on the back as he walked off the field after the pick-6. There was a lot of game left to be played and I'm sure he wanted to keep Wesley's head in the game.

RE: The Jauan Wesley conundrum... - HW58 - 11-15-2018 04:42 PM

I saw that, too. Thanks for pointing it out. Carey still gets in players' faces when he has to (used to be viewed as a federal crime on this board), but he's dialed it back a bit. This was a good example.

RE: The Jauan Wesley conundrum... - kflyer - 11-15-2018 05:07 PM

(11-15-2018 04:42 PM)HW58 Wrote:  I saw that, too. Thanks for pointing it out. Carey still gets in players' faces when he has to (used to be viewed as a federal crime on this board), but he's dialed it back a bit. This was a good example.

Was that after he was done with words for the Q?

RE: The Jauan Wesley conundrum... - MaddDawgz02 - 11-15-2018 05:23 PM

(11-15-2018 04:42 PM)HW58 Wrote:  I saw that, too. Thanks for pointing it out. Carey still gets in players' faces when he has to (used to be viewed as a federal crime on this board), but he's dialed it back a bit. This was a good example.

I sure wish Carey was as hard on himself as he was other players. His coaching has cost NIU NUMEROUS games over the past few years. A little self reflection sure would be appropriate.

The Jauan Wesley conundrum... - Teamduh - 11-15-2018 07:11 PM

Just rewatched the 3rd Q. Wesley man to man on right side. Just b4 snap safety runs towards line in run support. NO safety help. Childers recognizes and fakes handoff.

Quick slant and ball hits both Wesley hands head-high with defender not close enough to defend. Catch it and it is a race to endzone with defender a yard deeper but 2-3 yards to his side. With no body on other 2/3rds of field he was getting 30 yards easy and probably td.

RE: The Jauan Wesley conundrum... - HW58 - 11-15-2018 08:02 PM

MaddDawg, you have no idea how hard on himself or self reflective Coach Carey is. Good grief.

RE: The Jauan Wesley conundrum... - Dtownboys - 11-15-2018 09:22 PM

(11-15-2018 08:02 PM)HW58 Wrote:  MaddDawg, you have no idea how hard on himself or self reflective Coach Carey is. Good grief.

I know he’s really hard on himself.