CSNbbs
#GivingTuesday - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - East Team Talk (/forum-463.html)
+----- Forum: Kent State (/forum-474.html)
+----- Thread: #GivingTuesday (/thread-862197.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

#GivingTuesday - thanksjim - 11-01-2018 09:47 PM

Football team is asking for $15,000 this year, nice to see Coach Lewis start the campaign with a $500 gift. Feel free to follow his lead!

Message from Coach Lewis

https://flashes.givetokent.org/team/196336

RE: #GivingTuesday - Proud pilot - 11-06-2018 11:35 AM

Good luck trying to donate keeps on rejecting my donation attempt.

RE: #GivingTuesday - Proud pilot - 11-11-2018 06:35 PM

Does anyone know a telephone number to call in case I have a problem again trying to donate Tuesday? Nothing listed on web site nor email address for a point of contact Fund Raising office.

RE: #GivingTuesday - luckyflash - 11-11-2018 07:46 PM

contact the football office and/or the advancement office.

RE: #GivingTuesday - thanksjim - 11-11-2018 08:44 PM

330-672-3350 Football office

RE: #GivingTuesday - KSU93 - 11-12-2018 09:33 AM

I am setting up a fund to help with moving costs for Nielson.

RE: #GivingTuesday - ilovegymnast - 11-12-2018 11:26 AM

(11-12-2018 09:33 AM)KSU93 Wrote:  I am setting up a fund to help with moving costs for Nielson.

Outside of Haynes has Nielson made another bad hire? Every team has won at least one division/conference/tournament title. What more do you want out of an AD?

RE: #GivingTuesday - GFlash68 - 11-12-2018 05:13 PM

It is just possible that Nielson is an adequate AD, maybe even a good one. I really do not know so my overall opinion is OK. I do take a big time issue with the hiring of Haynes (admit that it may be hind sight) but more importantly, the length of time to take action for the good of the program. I think that any of us who follow college recruiting know that it is the life blood of any successful program. On this site we discuss the offers and recruits often. I doubt that any of us thought that the program was going to get better as early as Haynes second year. Hanging on for 3 more years ran our program into being in the most pitiful condition that I can ever remember it being. Coach Lewis and staff are trying to right a sinking ship and I believe they will. I admire the AD at BG for recognizing a hiring mistake after 2 1/2 years and letting go even in mid season. The AD at Louisville in firing Petrino said that having a bad year happens, but when the signs point to no improvement for next year, change must be made. It means that recruiting is not good enough. This shows that an AD is knowledgeable of the sport in all facets. If Nielson could not see this for us, he does not know his job. If he knew it and did nothing, he is lazy and overpaid. Outside of that, I like him. ?

RE: #GivingTuesday - ksu315 - 11-12-2018 05:16 PM

(11-12-2018 05:13 PM)GFlash68 Wrote:  It is just possible that Nielson is an adequate AD, maybe even a good one. I really do not know so my overall opinion is OK. I do take a big time issue with the hiring of Haynes (admit that it may be hind sight) but more importantly, the length of time to take action for the good of the program. I think that any of us who follow college recruiting know that it is the life blood of any successful program. On this site we discuss the offers and recruits often. I doubt that any of us thought that the program was going to get better as early as Haynes second year. Hanging on for 3 more years ran our program into being in the most pitiful condition that I can ever remember it being. Coach Lewis and staff are trying to right a sinking ship and I believe they will. I admire the AD at BG for recognizing a hiring mistake after 2 1/2 years and letting go even in mid season. The AD at Louisville in firing Petrino said that having a bad year happens, but when the signs point to no improvement for next year, change must be made. It means that recruiting is not good enough. This shows that an AD is knowledgeable of the sport in all facets. If Nielson could not see this for us, he does not know his job. If he knew it and did nothing, he is lazy and overpaid. Outside of that, I like him. ?

I'd bet its option 3. He knew it was bad, wanted to let him go but was told we're not paying buyouts on coaches because times are tough. Remember EVERYONE has a boss.

RE: #GivingTuesday - dannyb73 - 11-12-2018 07:59 PM

(11-12-2018 05:16 PM)ksu315 Wrote:  
(11-12-2018 05:13 PM)GFlash68 Wrote:  It is just possible that Nielson is an adequate AD, maybe even a good one. I really do not know so my overall opinion is OK. I do take a big time issue with the hiring of Haynes (admit that it may be hind sight) but more importantly, the length of time to take action for the good of the program. I think that any of us who follow college recruiting know that it is the life blood of any successful program. On this site we discuss the offers and recruits often. I doubt that any of us thought that the program was going to get better as early as Haynes second year. Hanging on for 3 more years ran our program into being in the most pitiful condition that I can ever remember it being. Coach Lewis and staff are trying to right a sinking ship and I believe they will. I admire the AD at BG for recognizing a hiring mistake after 2 1/2 years and letting go even in mid season. The AD at Louisville in firing Petrino said that having a bad year happens, but when the signs point to no improvement for next year, change must be made. It means that recruiting is not good enough. This shows that an AD is knowledgeable of the sport in all facets. If Nielson could not see this for us, he does not know his job. If he knew it and did nothing, he is lazy and overpaid. Outside of that, I like him. ?

I'd bet its option 3. He knew it was bad, wanted to let him go but was told we're not paying buyouts on coaches because times are tough. Remember EVERYONE has a boss.

You nailed it. No way in hell we were paying a buyout.

RE: #GivingTuesday - Proud pilot - 11-12-2018 10:51 PM

In my opinion another major element of the AD job performance is fund raising. I think in this area he is lacking greatly.I understand why we play Power 5 schools in football most schools play 2 "money games" Kent State plays 3. Not only that we play for the most part top tier programs. Next year Wisconsin , Auburn and Arizona State. 2020 we are in the SEC which some consider the toughest playing Arkansas, Kentucky and Bama.
Point being for a AD and those in the fund raising department easier to play the money games with the priority being revenue over improving the football team record.

RE: #GivingTuesday - thanksjim - 11-12-2018 10:55 PM

(11-12-2018 10:51 PM)Proud pilot Wrote:  In my opinion another major element of the AD job performance is fund raising. I think in this area he is lacking greatly.I understand why we play Power 5 schools in football most schools play 2 "money games" Kent State plays 3. Not only that we play for the most part top tier programs. Next year Wisconsin , Auburn and Arizona State. 2020 we are in the SEC which some consider the toughest playing Arkansas, Kentucky and Bama.
Point being for a AD and those in the fund raising department easier to play the money games with the priority being revenue over improving the football team record.

I really liked the Illinois game this year, winnable game and still got $1 million. For where we are now, the upper tier games are getting old quite frankly.

Find a balance between fundraising and the money games

RE: #GivingTuesday - ilovegymnast - 11-12-2018 11:45 PM

The fundraising is stuck in a catch 22 situation. No one wants to give money to losing program so they schedule money games to make up for it. But because of the money games they make it harder to have a winning program. I would love to see two seasons where we play a "cupcake" schedule with no money games to increase the win total and build some hype in the program. I hate to do it but would it be in the best interest of the program to sell new naming rights to the stadium?

RE: #GivingTuesday - KSU93 - 11-13-2018 04:13 PM

(11-12-2018 11:45 PM)ilovegymnast Wrote:  The fundraising is stuck in a catch 22 situation. No one wants to give money to losing program so they schedule money games to make up for it. But because of the money games they make it harder to have a winning program. I would love to see two seasons where we play a "cupcake" schedule with no money games to increase the win total and build some hype in the program. I hate to do it but would it be in the best interest of the program to sell new naming rights to the stadium?

50 years of losing means you are a loser! We tried not having money games. A D4 punter came in and told his other teams "dont call me for money. Money is going to football first then your teams" Ask around hell Joel didnt even take calls from his other coaches. HE FREAKING HIDE FROM THEM. Ask wrestling, baseball, hoops. These teams win and represent our university well. So, he tried and failed. I hope football has 10 money games. Eventually, it will go away.

RE: #GivingTuesday - burden - 11-13-2018 04:16 PM

(11-12-2018 11:26 AM)ilovegymnast Wrote:  
(11-12-2018 09:33 AM)KSU93 Wrote:  I am setting up a fund to help with moving costs for Nielson.

Outside of Haynes has Nielson made another bad hire? Every team has won at least one division/conference/tournament title. What more do you want out of an AD?

While I’m not going to contribute to Nielsen’s moving costs I think he has made more mistakes than 1. First missing on the football coach is big. We will see if his second choice is better.

He also missed badly on O’Banion putting women’s basketball fans through 4 years of pain. Starkey had a great first season but a not so great second year. We will know this year if he was a good selection.

His volleyball choice hasn’t done any better than previous coaches.

Finally even though he hasn’t picked any coaches for these sports I would have to say gymnastics, wrestling and men’s basketball Are approaching mediocrity under his watch. Don’t know exactly why but they have. Only his women’s golf choice has flourished and taken the program to a new level. I realize much of this is a Kent State issue and not solely an AD issue but I think saying he has only made one bad choice is giving him a little too much credit.

RE: #GivingTuesday - ilovegymnast - 11-13-2018 07:40 PM

I wasn't trying to defend him just trying to understand the hate that some have for the guy.

I forgot about O'Banion as those teams were hard to watch. He did hire Hazell so he is batting .500 for football with the tiebreaker in his first year. The Duncan hire has been a good one so far.

It will be interesting how the new lacrosse team does in the upcoming seasons.

RE: #GivingTuesday - thanksjim - 11-16-2018 10:13 AM

Almost 3/4 of the way there! $72,292/$100,000.

RE: #GivingTuesday - DavidCarducci - 11-19-2018 08:38 PM

That fund might do well... and you'd probably raise most of the money from inside the department :)

RE: #GivingTuesday - thanksjim - 11-19-2018 09:12 PM

(11-19-2018 08:38 PM)DavidCarducci Wrote:  

That fund might do well... and you'd probably raise most of the money from inside the department :)

Well that's not a ringing endorsement from someone who has meant so much to KSU athletics lol

RE: #GivingTuesday - burden - 11-19-2018 10:06 PM

There’s been too many hints that Nielsen is not much fun to work with for it not to have some truth. Having said that a well liked manager is not necessarily a good manager so I don’t think that’s the whole story. He obviously forced Lindsey and Morrow (and maybe some assistants)out because they didn’t fit his mold and that’s not unusual for a new boss. In fact it’s common. That time period is long gone now. If their are still issues it needs to be fixed and I’m afraid that the deterioration of some of the better programs might be related to this. David’s comment is certainly concerning.

Some of the recent decisions worry me. Spending 1,500,000 (that’s what I heard, correct me if someone knows better) on a scoreboard seems like money poorly spent. I don’t know how the students feel. For all I know they like the fact their seats are a little better but I do know now that their more scattered, we have lost some of our home court advantage. I’m kind of rambling but I know I don’t feel the atmosphere for the games has improved and I’m considering not buying season tickets after this year. There are no sports where I’m more interested in the college game than the pro game except for basketball but my support is being tested.