CSNbbs
Just Bad ~ j.fisher - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Tulsa (/forum-436.html)
+----- Thread: Just Bad ~ j.fisher (/thread-861933.html)

Just Bad ~ j.fisher - Foreverandever - 10-30-2018 12:53 AM

J.fisher put up the post in Tulsa football and I copied to here. We're a small group. To a lesser or greater degree we have posted similar thoughts. I like Tulsa fans talking sports though and reacting to each other, we tend to be high info fans.

Quote:Post: #2RE: Just bad
(10-28-2018 05:19 PM)jfisher Wrote:
I knew it was going to be a long season......but this is longer than even I thought!! You have to be honest, this is not a very good team at all......all kinds of penalties at just the wrong time......that's just a lack of discipline. The defense would have been real good a couple of years ago when we were scoring 40+ points every game. The offensive line is terrible.....you sure can't blame all the problems on the young QB with a line like that in front of him.......we are going to have to run into an opponent that is playing a really bad game to have a chance to win.

RE: Just Bad ~ j.fisher - Foreverandever - 10-30-2018 12:55 AM

(10-30-2018 12:53 AM)Foreverandever Wrote:  J.fisher put up the post in Tulsa football and I copied to here. We're a small group. To a lesser or greater degree we have posted similar thoughts. I like Tulsa fans talking sports though and reacting to each other, we tend to be high info fans.
(10-28-2018 05:19 PM)jfisher Wrote:
I knew it was going to be a long season......but this is longer than even I thought!! You have to be honest, this is not a very good team at all......all kinds of penalties at just the wrong time......that's just a lack of discipline. The defense would have been real good a couple of years ago when we were scoring 40+ points every game. The offensive line is terrible.....you sure can't blame all the problems on the young QB with a line like that in front of him.......we are going to have to run into an opponent that is playing a really bad game to have a chance to win.

My original response

Good to see you post. Wish it was for celebration type things like Jerry O's jersey being retired. .

I'm going to copy and past to our main board and give you credit. Despite our poor showing in football we are still getting some people commenting on there and I always like reading reactions to good posts.

Tulsa main board:
https://csnbbs.com/forum-436.html

I'd say that is a very fair assesment with out a lot of emotion something I haven't been able to do much this season.

I agree this seems to be more than a QB problem. It scream coaching to me. In particular our bad penalties (either in timing or decisions made) and terrible streak of turnovers early in the year.

I dont blame the talent. We're not getting physically whipped. Hell we had a goal line stand vs Texas. Our ability to do successful situations for the talent to thrive I is what I find frustrating. Particularly because I like Monty, but he isn't doing a good job right now.

RE: Just Bad ~ j.fisher - Hurricane Drummer - 10-30-2018 12:54 PM

To me, the biggest problem this year is inexperience. Particularly on offense. We've seen what Monty can do with experience on the offense (see 2016). Last year we were very inexperienced on defense too due to injuries. Now look at the improvement on that side of the ball now that we have people back.

Most of the offense is pretty young minus a few players here and there. Once we get some guys with more years playing under their belt this thing is going to hum again.

I think we're getting there. The turnovers and penalties are slowly improving although there's still a lot of work to do in those areas. Although I think the coaching staff does need to crack down on the penalties more. We've seen this problem in previous years also.

RE: Just Bad ~ j.fisher - Foreverandever - 10-31-2018 05:04 PM

(10-30-2018 12:54 PM)Hurricane Drummer Wrote:  To me, the biggest problem this year is inexperience. Particularly on offense. We've seen what Monty can do with experience on the offense (see 2016). Last year we were very inexperienced on defense too due to injuries. Now look at the improvement on that side of the ball now that we have people back.

Most of the offense is pretty young minus a few players here and there. Once we get some guys with more years playing under their belt this thing is going to hum again.

I think we're getting there. The turnovers and penalties are slowly improving although there's still a lot of work to do in those areas. Although I think the coaching staff does need to crack down on the penalties more. We've seen this problem in previous years also.

I do feel like the turnovers have improved and we've only averaged 1 a game the last three, but penalties continue to be a problem as it's still 7-8 a game. Our turnoversgoing down may just be the Skipper change, but Boomer has been lucky a couple times. I've seen some improvement lately but it is still pretty bad for a FBS team.

I don't buy the excuse as us being inexperienced. Our offense has struggled and it certainly has experience. Seven upperclassmen of starting ten players not counting our QB. Eight of them have been here for three calendar years or more and nine if you count a hurt Skipper (RS sophmore). Twelve of the two deep are juniors or seniors, there are another four RS Sophmores on there too. There are five freshman including Boomer, the back up receiver and running back get some time but not much. Not sure the other two freshmen have seen the field.

Our defense is playing much better and they actually are inexperienced. Ten sophmores and freshmen in the two deep. Including four true freshmen who play signfigant minutes compared to four seniors who play regularly.

RE: Just Bad ~ j.fisher - Hurricane Drummer - 11-01-2018 01:23 PM

(10-31-2018 05:04 PM)Foreverandever Wrote:  
(10-30-2018 12:54 PM)Hurricane Drummer Wrote:  To me, the biggest problem this year is inexperience. Particularly on offense. We've seen what Monty can do with experience on the offense (see 2016). Last year we were very inexperienced on defense too due to injuries. Now look at the improvement on that side of the ball now that we have people back.

I do feel like the turnovers have improved and we've only averaged 1 a game the last three, but penalties continue to be a problem as it's still 7-8 a game. Our turnoversgoing down may just be the Skipper change, but Boomer has been lucky a couple times. I've seen some improvement lately but it is still pretty bad for a FBS team.

I don't buy the excuse as us being inexperienced. Our offense has struggled and it certainly has experience. Seven upperclassmen of starting ten players not counting our QB. Eight of them have been here for three calendar years or more and nine if you count a hurt Skipper (RS sophmore). Twelve of the two deep are juniors or seniors, there are another four RS Sophmores on there too. There are five freshman including Boomer, the back up receiver and running back get some time but not much. Not sure the other two freshmen have seen the field.

Our defense is playing much better and they actually are inexperienced. Ten sophmores and freshmen in the two deep. Including four true freshmen who play signfigant minutes compared to four seniors who play regularly.

We have some guys with years under their belts, but how many of them have actual game experience? Especially some of those RS Sophomores. Despite that, having inexperience at the qb position is going to hurt a lot more than at the other positions, and that is where we are probably the most inexperienced.

Yes, some of it is just bad play. Like lineman getting beat on blocks, or RB's not picking up blocks. WR's not getting open or not making catches. But I still think a big part of it is the lack of game experience by the qbs and also some of the WRs and some Olinemen.

RE: Just Bad ~ j.fisher - Foreverandever - 11-02-2018 12:05 PM

(11-01-2018 01:23 PM)Hurricane Drummer Wrote:  
(10-31-2018 05:04 PM)Foreverandever Wrote:  

We have some guys with years under their belts, but how many of them have actual game experience? Especially some of those RS Sophomores. Despite that, having inexperience at the qb position is going to hurt a lot more than at the other positions, and that is where we are probably the most inexperienced.

Yes, some of it is just bad play. Like lineman getting beat on blocks, or RB's not picking up blocks. WR's not getting open or not making catches. But I still think a big part of it is the lack of game experience by the qbs and also some of the WRs and some Olinemen.

Listening to the announcers of the UCF/Temple game talk about the good position the coaches were putting their respective teams in made me sad last night. That use to be us.

When it comes to players, our defense held Temple to half the yards and less points then UCF. I think we did statistically better than Maryland did against them.

It's bad and hard to watch us.