CSNbbs
New School maybe - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: WACbbs (/forum-376.html)
+--- Thread: New School maybe (/thread-861608.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

RE: New School maybe - NoDak - 10-30-2018 06:54 PM

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900039556/dixie-state-exploring-move-to-ncaa-division-i-status.html

https://www.thespectrum.com/story/sports/college/dixie-state/2018/10/30/dsu-closing-division-move/1822468002/

Hurd won’t comment because he was taught not to lie in North Dakota where he grew up.

RE: New School maybe - NMSUPistolPete - 10-30-2018 08:01 PM

I doubt the WAC would start a FCS affiliated conference. Hurd is more likely to urge the creation of a non-affiliated WAC football conference to house new WAC Olympic sports members; much like the function of the Missouri Valley Football conference.

However, to be honest, if Dixie State is willing to move ahead and join the WAC without an FCS home and Tarleton State can secure an FCS home in the Southland while committing all its other sports to the WAC, I could see the WAC eventually adding Metro State, Dixie State, Tarleton State, and Cal State Los Angeles as new WAC members... while losing Cal State Bakersfield and potentially UM Kansas City and Chicago State in the near future.

RE: New School maybe - SeattleVandals - 10-31-2018 12:01 AM

This WAC FCS is exciting news and if it happens, could create a very stable league of 10-14 members.

The GNAC is down to four football playing schools, and two of them would be logical to invite. Azusa Pacific and Simon Fraser. If the NCAA would let SFU go D1, and I would think they'd be able to if they appealed, it'd bring a giant University and accessible city to the WAC.

I'd like to see a WAC FCS invite San Diego football as well. Throw in UTRGV when they can get it going and UT-Arlington as a temporary football member as they want to restart football again, you have the formation of a nice FCS western league. Perhaps one with a reduced scholorship limit for football like the NEC.

From the Seattle U fan in me, I'm hoping Central Washington is invited with their football. One of the best D2 programs in a growing school full of local kids. 1.5 hours from Seattle across the mountains in Ellensburg, and ideal college town. Western Washington in Bellingham as well, though they do not play football anymore

RE: New School maybe - NoDak - 10-31-2018 01:47 AM

CWU has been busy improving its football facilities even though NW DII programs are almost extinct.

https://www.dailyrecordnews.com/sports/cwu-s-athletic-department-shows-its-dedication-to-football-with/article_ea3d0af2-4063-536b-9c2d-2ff90c64f33d.html

Earlier this year, there were tweets that CWU expected an FCS bid by 2021.

RE: New School maybe - DoubleRSU - 10-31-2018 09:45 AM

NoDak, how do these recent developments impact the Great Northern? How did this info get out, but the GNC info never leaked? Weird!

RE: New School maybe - dbackjon - 10-31-2018 04:52 PM

(10-31-2018 09:45 AM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  NoDak, how do these recent developments impact the Great Northern? How did this info get out, but the GNC info never leaked? Weird!

I know, right?

RE: New School maybe - NoDak - 10-31-2018 06:05 PM

The two previous posters are why I left the realignment board. They constantly harassed my ideas when they don’t have a clue what going on but still respond to much more ridiculousness with seriousness.

RE: New School maybe - dbackjon - 10-31-2018 06:22 PM

(10-31-2018 06:05 PM)NoDak Wrote:  The two previous posters are why I left the realignment board. They constantly harassed my ideas when they don’t have a clue what going on but still respond to much more ridiculousness with seriousness.

No, you left the forum because your hair-brained ideas never came to fruition, and missed all of your self-appointed deadlines, and you disappeared after your last "guaranteed" prediction never happened like we all said it wouldn't.

Now you are pushing your super-secret Great Northern FBS fantasy here in a thread that is based in reality (WAC FCS Football).

RE: New School maybe - dbackjon - 10-31-2018 06:24 PM

(10-30-2018 08:01 PM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  I doubt the WAC would start a FCS affiliated conference. Hurd is more likely to urge the creation of a non-affiliated WAC football conference to house new WAC Olympic sports members; much like the function of the Missouri Valley Football conference.

However, to be honest, if Dixie State is willing to move ahead and join the WAC without an FCS home and Tarleton State can secure an FCS home in the Southland while committing all its other sports to the WAC, I could see the WAC eventually adding Metro State, Dixie State, Tarleton State, and Cal State Los Angeles as new WAC members... while losing Cal State Bakersfield and potentially UM Kansas City and Chicago State in the near future.

The west could use more FCS teams - Dixie State could find plenty of OOC opponents.

RE: New School maybe - NoDak - 10-31-2018 06:48 PM

So the WAC wants FCS but still want non football03-nutkick Metro State to study DI! 03-puke That’s entirely wrong headed but that doesn’t catch your fine tooth realignment bristles, but NAU can’t accomplish anything that requires finances.

These teams are just to backfill for the Big Sky and the WAC covers for them as the Big Sky is too bloated as it is. The Big Sky will need these teams because current Big Sky and Southland teams will fill the WAC and capable northern Big Sky teams will escape to a Summit FBS

Said that before but was just a little early but getting a whole new trend as FCS teams with fan bases will stampede toward FBS with the CFP pot awaiting for them come 2025 negotiations. The Presidents are not stupid as you imply. Predicted it too early so I’m guilty as charged. But moneyed people pay for early predictions and you just ridicule them.

RE: New School maybe - desertscholar974 - 10-31-2018 10:10 PM

(10-26-2018 04:26 PM)RobtheAggie Wrote:  Get the rehashed list again.
Metro St
Tartleton St
Dixie State
Western Washington
Chico St - Would the State rule of state funding prohibition on Texas inhibit this?

"requested that they look into the possibility" - I am not sure if this could be any more wishy washy.

Any mention of Drury? It was mentioned previously that they could be a travel partner for UMKC and to also convince UMKC to stay in the conference. Let's hope Drury has been approached.

RE: New School maybe - HawaiiMongoose - 10-31-2018 10:35 PM

(10-31-2018 10:10 PM)desertscholar974 Wrote:  
(10-26-2018 04:26 PM)RobtheAggie Wrote:  Get the rehashed list again.
Metro St
Tartleton St
Dixie State
Western Washington
Chico St - Would the State rule of state funding prohibition on Texas inhibit this?

"requested that they look into the possibility" - I am not sure if this could be any more wishy washy.

Any mention of Drury? It was mentioned previously that they could be a travel partner for UMKC and to also convince UMKC to stay in the conference. Let's hope Drury has been approached.

Geographic dispersion hurts WAC member travel budgets, is tough on coaches and student athletes who have to endure long road trips, and perpetuates the conference’s image as an unwieldy cobbling together of schools with disparate interests. That’s why IMHO the WAC should move as fast as it reasonably can to pull its footprint out of the Central Time Zone, with the exception of Texas (which is a hotbed for recruiting, has growing markets, and is easy to reach due to the presence of multiple airline hubs and mild winter weather). If the conference can add enough members from the western half of the country and Texas, it doesn't need to retain or seek schools from points further east.

RE: New School maybe - HawaiiMongoose - 11-01-2018 01:48 AM

(10-31-2018 12:01 AM)SeattleVandals Wrote:  This WAC FCS is exciting news and if it happens, could create a very stable league of 10-14 members.

The GNAC is down to four football playing schools, and two of them would be logical to invite. Azusa Pacific and Simon Fraser. If the NCAA would let SFU go D1, and I would think they'd be able to if they appealed, it'd bring a giant University and accessible city to the WAC.

I'd like to see a WAC FCS invite San Diego football as well. Throw in UTRGV when they can get it going and UT-Arlington as a temporary football member as they want to restart football again, you have the formation of a nice FCS western league. Perhaps one with a reduced scholorship limit for football like the NEC.

From the Seattle U fan in me, I'm hoping Central Washington is invited with their football. One of the best D2 programs in a growing school full of local kids. 1.5 hours from Seattle across the mountains in Ellensburg, and ideal college town. Western Washington in Bellingham as well, though they do not play football anymore

I didn’t think about the football-playing GNAC schools. They were already reduced to playing in-season home-and-homes to enable an eight-game conference schedule. With Humboldt State dropping the sport that will decrease to six. Under those circumstances Central Washington should certainly be a WAC target.

If the WAC’s strategy is to build a new western FCS conference primarily with D-2 move-ups the conference also needs to be scouring Texas for candidates beyond Tarleton State. For comparison purposes here are 2017 per-game football attendance numbers for GNAC and selected RMAC and Lone Star Conference D-2 schools:

Texas A&M Commerce - 8,580 (won D-2 national championship)
FCS national average - 8,223
Midwestern State - 8,037
West Texas A&M - 6,316
Colorado State-Pueblo - 6,285
Texas A&M Kingsville - 5,784
Tarleton State - 5,307
Central Washington - 4,781
Azusa Pacific - 3,843
D-2 national average - 3,273
Dixie State - 3,011
Western Oregon - 1,731
Simon Fraser - 379 (no that’s not a typo)

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/Attendance/2017.pdf

RE: New School maybe - Lopes87 - 11-01-2018 02:04 AM

(11-01-2018 01:48 AM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  
(10-31-2018 12:01 AM)SeattleVandals Wrote:  This WAC FCS is exciting news and if it happens, could create a very stable league of 10-14 members.

I didn’t think about the football-playing GNAC schools. They were already reduced to playing in-season home-and-homes to enable an eight-game conference schedule. With Humboldt State dropping the sport that will decrease to six. Under those circumstances Central Washington should certainly be a WAC target.

If the WAC’s strategy is to build a new western FCS conference primarily with D-2 move-ups the conference also needs to be scouring Texas for candidates beyond Tarleton State. For comparison purposes here are 2017 per-game football attendance numbers for GNAC and selected RMAC and Lone Star Conference D-2 schools:

Texas A&M Commerce - 8,580 (won D-2 national championship)
FCS national average - 8,223
Midwestern State - 8,037
West Texas A&M - 6,316
Colorado State-Pueblo - 6,285
Texas A&M Kingsville - 5,784
Tarleton State - 5,307
Central Washington - 4,781
Azusa Pacific - 3,843
D-2 national average - 3,273
Dixie State - 3,011
Western Oregon - 1,731
Simon Fraser - 379 (no that’s not a typo)

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/Attendance/2017.pdf

Texas is a great option but wouldn't the WAC be wary of a Texas school voting block if they add 5 to 6 of them?

RE: New School maybe - HawaiiMongoose - 11-01-2018 12:14 PM

(11-01-2018 02:04 AM)Lopes87 Wrote:  Texas is a great option but wouldn't the WAC be wary of a Texas school voting block if they add 5 to 6 of them?

I once had a boss who would say “That’s the kind of problem we like to have.”

RE: New School maybe - CrimsonPhantom - 11-01-2018 02:38 PM

(11-01-2018 12:14 PM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  
(11-01-2018 02:04 AM)Lopes87 Wrote:  Texas is a great option but wouldn't the WAC be wary of a Texas school voting block if they add 5 to 6 of them?

Thats what led to the creation of the MWC.

If that were to happen the WAC would most likely go to divisions. The Texas schools and NMSU would be one division and the rest of the WAC another.

RE: New School maybe - jdgaucho - 11-01-2018 03:34 PM

Karl Benson?

RE: New School maybe - CrimsonPhantom - 11-01-2018 04:18 PM

(11-01-2018 03:34 PM)jdgaucho Wrote:  

Karl Benson?

03-lmfao

RE: New School maybe - DoubleRSU - 11-01-2018 06:55 PM

Tarleton, Dixie, and Metro are the only ones that have come up. Let’s not get too ahead of ourselves.

RE: New School maybe - joshadam84 - 11-01-2018 07:10 PM

(11-01-2018 06:55 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  Tarleton, Dixie, and Metro are the only ones that have come up. Let’s not get too ahead of ourselves.

Agreed. If we can find a legitimate source or feasibility study from another school, then certainly could try to see how they’d fit in. But right now, just a few confirmed schools. The studies seem to indicate other institutions were contacted.. so hopefully we’ll hear more on it.