CSNbbs
New School maybe - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: WACbbs (/forum-376.html)
+--- Thread: New School maybe (/thread-861608.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

RE: New School maybe - DavidSt - 02-14-2019 06:45 PM

So, do we know how many RMAC schools they reached out to besides Colorado Mesa, Metro State and Dixie State? I find it strange during this time of these news, Western State in Colorado decided to change their name to Western Colorado. That usually a sign a school looking to improve their image and make a move to something bigger. Western Colorado was one that was considered a major school before 1940s founding the RMAC with Colorado and Colorado State. Could be very interesting to see a renew games more often for all sports with former RMAC schools who are in D1 now.

RE: New School maybe - DavidSt - 02-14-2019 06:47 PM

Western State Name Change Plus $80 million Donation

$80 million is a lot of money to give to a school.

RE: New School maybe - AZcats - 02-16-2019 02:25 AM

(02-14-2019 06:47 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  Western State Name Change Plus $80 million Donation

It is an informal name change. The official and legal name of the school is still "Western State Colorado University". Maybe they should go ahead and formalize the name change.

RE: New School maybe - dbackjon - 02-18-2019 01:16 PM

(02-14-2019 06:47 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  Western State Name Change Plus $80 million Donation

And Gunnison is in the middle of nowhere

RE: New School maybe - DavidSt - 02-18-2019 04:54 PM

West Texas A&M Feasability Study

We might look at them as a possibility as a WAC invite. Why would they do a study right now at the same time as Tarleton State, Dixie State and Metro State? UTPB also mentioned doing one as well. It was not clear what it was for, but it seems West Texas A&M is getting a lot of donations faster than they know it. It could be logical that Tarleton State could be invited next, but they need to gather more schools in Texas as a main core in the Colorado region. West Texas A&M and UTPB used the same company that Dixie State did theirs.

RE: New School maybe - jacksfan29 - 02-18-2019 05:04 PM

(02-18-2019 01:16 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  

Under statement of the year. We lived in Crested Butte, wife worked in Gunnison for 9 1/2 years. The idea of Western going D1 is the funniest thing I have ever read. We left to get back to the city (Denver), we were dying out there. It is absolutely the end of the road, no mans land.

As for Dave's $80 million gift. It is not going to athletics, it is all going for academics. Specifically, to put up an Engineering building so the school can partner with CU and offer a program along with some added science programs. The building is already going up, the money will start, and sustain the program for decades. It has nothing to do with athletics.

RE: New School maybe - AZcats - 02-18-2019 06:04 PM

(02-18-2019 04:54 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  West Texas A&M Feasability Study

We might look at them as a possibility as a WAC invite. Why would they do a study right now at the same time as Tarleton State, Dixie State and Metro State? UTPB also mentioned doing one as well. It was not clear what it was for, but it seems West Texas A&M is getting a lot of donations faster than they know it. It could be logical that Tarleton State could be invited next, but they need to gather more schools in Texas as a main core in the Colorado region. West Texas A&M and UTPB used the same company that Dixie State did theirs.

Why would they do a study now? Did you bother to read what you linked? The article tells you why the study was done:

Quote:The Feasibility Study was completed in anticipation of $11 million fundraising campaign to complete the new Buffalo Stadium and expand the Bain Athletic Center. This included developing a case for support, conducting a wealth screening program of 90 athletic prospective donors, and interviewing WTAMU’s top-25 potential donors.

WTAMU and UTPB both did similar studies for fundraising campaigns. Nothing in the article gives any indication that the studies for either school are related to D1. There are many reasons a school will do a feasibility study that don't involve a possible D1 move.

RE: New School maybe - DavidSt - 02-18-2019 08:54 PM

(02-18-2019 06:04 PM)AZcats Wrote:  

Why would they do a study now? Did you bother to read what you linked? The article tells you why the study was done:

Quote:The Feasibility Study was completed in anticipation of $11 million fundraising campaign to complete the new Buffalo Stadium and expand the Bain Athletic Center. This included developing a case for support, conducting a wealth screening program of 90 athletic prospective donors, and interviewing WTAMU’s top-25 potential donors.

WTAMU and UTPB both did similar studies for fundraising campaigns. Nothing in the article gives any indication that the studies for either school are related to D1. There are many reasons a school will do a feasibility study that don't involve a possible D1 move.

Why do another study when the projects are already began a few years ago? Something is not right on the timing for doing another study when it was already done. It is a waste of money.

RE: New School maybe - NotANewbie - 02-18-2019 09:12 PM

(02-18-2019 08:54 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  
(02-18-2019 06:04 PM)AZcats Wrote:  

Why do another study when the projects are already began a few years ago? Something is not right on the timing for doing another study when it was already done. It is a waste of money.

Wow.

Why assume the study was about adding programs?

Many schools and nonprofit organizations use consultants to shape a fundraising campaign. The idea is to identify those who can give big, and what nature of appeal is most likely to result in donations.

Nothing to look at folks. Move on.

RE: New School maybe - MidWestMidMajor - 02-18-2019 10:40 PM

(01-25-2019 12:24 AM)MidWestMidMajor Wrote:  
(01-24-2019 10:14 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  On paper Metro St Denver and UC Colorado Springs would be great adds but if they have little to no fan support now it's hard to gauge if they would as a DI.

Just going by UNOmaha's experience: in d2 they played in front of a few hundred- and UNO generally had good teams. Last year UNO averaged 1815. I looked at a couple games this season real quick: UNO had 2100 when they played Denver (that was during school break). They had 2100 this week against South Dakota.

If you'll permit me to go back a few days- I heard on the radio this afternoon that last Thursday (Feb. 14) UNO had over 4200 in their arena when they played South Dakota State. UNO won on a buzzer beater that moved them into (basically) a tie for 1st with SDSU. (SDSU has a 1/2 game lead but has played 1 more game than UNO so far.)

UNO had very respectable teams in d2. But playing Missouri Southern State University & Ft. Hays State just doesn't pack the stands.

The point being that attendance at d2 is not always a good predictor of future attendance in a d1 conference. (Of course nothing fills the stands better than a winning team.)

RE: New School maybe - NMSUPistolPete - 02-18-2019 11:33 PM

(02-18-2019 10:40 PM)MidWestMidMajor Wrote:  
(01-25-2019 12:24 AM)MidWestMidMajor Wrote:  
(01-24-2019 10:14 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  On paper Metro St Denver and UC Colorado Springs would be great adds but if they have little to no fan support now it's hard to gauge if they would as a DI.

Just going by UNOmaha's experience: in d2 they played in front of a few hundred- and UNO generally had good teams. Last year UNO averaged 1815. I looked at a couple games this season real quick: UNO had 2100 when they played Denver (that was during school break). They had 2100 this week against South Dakota.

If you'll permit me to go back a few days- I heard on the radio this afternoon that last Thursday (Feb. 14) UNO had over 4200 in their arena when they played South Dakota State. UNO won on a buzzer beater that moved them into (basically) a tie for 1st with SDSU. (SDSU has a 1/2 game lead but has played 1 more game than UNO so far.)

UNO had very respectable teams in d2. But playing Missouri Southern State University & Ft. Hays State just doesn't pack the stands.

The point being that attendance at d2 is not always a good predictor of future attendance in a d1 conference. (Of course nothing fills the stands better than a winning team.)

I think any real discussion concerning attendance is moot when the WAC already has four members who are hovering around 1000 in attendance this season. Chicago State - 401... Seattle U - 1,022... UT Rio Grande Valley - 1,033... UM Kansas City - 1,145.

Any D2 additions wouldn't really hurt the WAC any more than some of the current members. I think the focus should be on budget size, ability to compete, and the potential to grow a fan base; large market.

RE: New School maybe - dbackjon - 02-19-2019 11:48 AM

(02-18-2019 05:04 PM)jacksfan29 Wrote:  
(02-18-2019 01:16 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  

Under statement of the year. We lived in Crested Butte, wife worked in Gunnison for 9 1/2 years. The idea of Western going D1 is the funniest thing I have ever read. We left to get back to the city (Denver), we were dying out there. It is absolutely the end of the road, no mans land.

As for Dave's $80 million gift. It is not going to athletics, it is all going for academics. Specifically, to put up an Engineering building so the school can partner with CU and offer a program along with some added science programs. The building is already going up, the money will start, and sustain the program for decades. It has nothing to do with athletics.

Crested Butte is literally at the end of the road.

RE: New School maybe - PojoaquePosse - 02-19-2019 12:18 PM

(02-18-2019 10:40 PM)MidWestMidMajor Wrote:  (Of course nothing fills the stands better than a winning team.)

Not necessarily true. NMSU has set and tied the all time wins record the past 2 years and is on pace to exceed that this year. Yet our attendance has not changed one iota.

RE: New School maybe - MidWestMidMajor - 02-19-2019 11:32 PM

(02-19-2019 12:18 PM)PojoaquePosse Wrote:  
(02-18-2019 10:40 PM)MidWestMidMajor Wrote:  (Of course nothing fills the stands better than a winning team.)

Not necessarily true. NMSU has set and tied the all time wins record the past 2 years and is on pace to exceed that this year. Yet our attendance has not changed one iota.

I'm curious- why do you think that is?

Is the athletic department not doing a good job of marketing?
Is it changing cultural patterns (i.e., people staying home watching netflix)?
Is it the economics? (ticket cost + donation to athletic dept.)?
Is it the new conference and lost of traditional rivalries in the Big West?
Does media tilt people's attention in the directions of El Paso and Albuquerque?
2017's attendance was about 5000: Is that about the ceiling in a metro area of 200,000 people?
A little bit of each of the above?

Is there something that could be done to improve attendance?

RE: New School maybe - SeattleVandals - 02-20-2019 01:24 AM

They are also doing it with Collegiate Consulting, who:
Helped Dixie State, GCU, CBU join the WAC from D2
Runs the ticket sales departments for Seattle U and I think UMKC
Is/was helping UTRGV start football
Working with Tarleton St, CS LA, Metro St confirmed on WAC D1
Has worked in some way with every WAC school besides NMSU and Chicago State

RE: New School maybe - SeattleVandals - 02-20-2019 01:30 AM

I haven't read WTAMUs study in depth, but the summary Collegiate Consulting gives as they conduct the study, is for fundraising football and basketball stadium expansions. So that isn't a for sure thing about D1 by any means, but easily could be connected.

https://www.collegiateconsulting.com/news/collegiate-consulting-completes-west-texas-aampm-university-feasibility-study

RE: New School maybe - NMSUPistolPete - 02-20-2019 02:55 AM

At one time West Texas A&M (then West Texas State) was division 1A as part of the Missouri Valley Conference; when they sponsored football. Although there is still no indication that they want to be D1 again (in basketball & FCS in football), it would not surprise me if they might have a renewed interest. Their one great basketball player back in the late 1970's was Maurice Cheeks; a very good point guard in the MVC during the days when NMSU was also a member of that conference.

RE: New School maybe - DavidSt - 02-20-2019 10:29 AM

(02-20-2019 02:55 AM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  At one time West Texas A&M (then West Texas State) was division 1A as part of the Missouri Valley Conference; when they sponsored football. Although there is still no indication that they want to be D1 again (in basketball & FCS in football), it would not surprise me if they might have a renewed interest. Their one great basketball player back in the late 1970's was Maurice Cheeks; a very good point guard in the MVC during the days when NMSU was also a member of that conference.

As it is, West Texas A&M may not be too happy being in the Lone Star Conference with 20 schools and another one looking to join them as well (UT-Dallas.) Going to D1 and the WAC with the possibility of UMKC and Chicago State could be gone soon, New Mexico State, Metro State, Dixie State and Grand Canyon would be closer to them, and the only schools outlier would be Cal. Baptist and Seattle. UTRGV would be manageable. Lone Star, they have to travel to Rogers State, UAFS, Commerce, Kingsville, UT-Tyler and other schools east of the Dallas line. Going to the WAC would help keep their travel budget in check. I do think it is possible that 4 or 5 Lone Star schools talking to the WAC besides Tarleton State.

RE: New School maybe - PojoaquePosse - 02-20-2019 10:31 AM

(02-19-2019 11:32 PM)MidWestMidMajor Wrote:  
(02-19-2019 12:18 PM)PojoaquePosse Wrote:  

I'm curious- why do you think that is?

Is the athletic department not doing a good job of marketing?
Is it changing cultural patterns (i.e., people staying home watching netflix)?
Is it the economics? (ticket cost + donation to athletic dept.)?
Is it the new conference and lost of traditional rivalries in the Big West?
Does media tilt people's attention in the directions of El Paso and Albuquerque?
2017's attendance was about 5000: Is that about the ceiling in a metro area of 200,000 people?
A little bit of each of the above?

Is there something that could be done to improve attendance?

This has been discussed ad nauseam on the Aggie board. All of your questions have been dissected to the nth degree. Our marketing team and AD have done a commendable job trying to pump up attendance. We have seen slight increases year over year across the past 3 seasons.

In my humble opinion, I think the biggest issue, and it is affecting all levels of college and pro sports, is people have a lot of choices for their entertainment and get most of it via their phone/computer/xbox/TV. Why get in your car, drive to the arena, pay x amount of dollars, deal with crowds/parking, when I can watch a game on my huge TV, in HD, with surround sound and drink/eat what I want for a fraction of the price and hassle? It's just too convenient.

RE: New School maybe - chrisattsu - 02-20-2019 11:20 AM

(02-20-2019 10:29 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  
(02-20-2019 02:55 AM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  At one time West Texas A&M (then West Texas State) was division 1A as part of the Missouri Valley Conference; when they sponsored football. Although there is still no indication that they want to be D1 again (in basketball & FCS in football), it would not surprise me if they might have a renewed interest. Their one great basketball player back in the late 1970's was Maurice Cheeks; a very good point guard in the MVC during the days when NMSU was also a member of that conference.

As it is, West Texas A&M may not be too happy being in the Lone Star Conference with 20 schools and another one looking to join them as well (UT-Dallas.) Going to D1 and the WAC with the possibility of UMKC and Chicago State could be gone soon, New Mexico State, Metro State, Dixie State and Grand Canyon would be closer to them, and the only schools outlier would be Cal. Baptist and Seattle. UTRGV would be manageable. Lone Star, they have to travel to Rogers State, UAFS, Commerce, Kingsville, UT-Tyler and other schools east of the Dallas line. Going to the WAC would help keep their travel budget in check. I do think it is possible that 4 or 5 Lone Star schools talking to the WAC besides Tarleton State.

WT has always publicly stated they are happy with D2 and strive to be a premier D2 school in the mold of Grand Valley State. Big Fish Small Pond. They've stated that they would rather compete for National championships in all sports rather than fodder for better-funded D1 schools.

This thought process is represented in their new football stadium. Their legacy stadium from the D1 days (Kimbrough) held 20,000. The new stadium (opening this fall), will have 8500 seats with grass berms for overflow. They have plans for expansion if needed, but note that max capacity is 14000.

WITH THAT SAID, many of us are hesitant about this new Franken-Star Conference. 20 teams seems unwieldy and makes OOC scheduling more problematic. Travel is being mitigated by splitting into three divisions. WT will be in the West Division with Angelo State, Lubbock Christian, Eastern NM, Western NM, and UT Permian Basin.

This will be better for them in the long run than the current conference. The Arkansas school (Fort Smith, Rogers) and seem "far" but they are closer than instate rival Kingsville and roughly the same distance as Commerce (all under 7 hours from Canyon).