CSNbbs
AP Preseason Poll says Tigers - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: AP Preseason Poll says Tigers (/thread-861232.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

AP Preseason Poll says Tigers - Shooters - 10-22-2018 11:45 AM

Are not in the top 53 teams in the nation and some of the teams receiving votes do not appear to have talent and depth that the Tigers do. Is this a slap at our coaching staff or our basketball team or both?

https://collegebasketball.ap.org/poll

From the standpoint of an avid basketball follower and Tiger fan for over a half century, this may be the most undervalued Tiger team that I can recall. I did a quick skim and maybe the 1987 team that’s was on probation and was a top 10 team after curb stomping Louisville at Freedom Hall for conference championship may have been more underrated.

RE: AP Preseason Poll says Tigers - Tigergary - 10-22-2018 11:52 AM

I dont think it's a slap at all. Just the reality of things right now. Too many unknowns with this team yet.
Win and we will rise probably pretty quick.

RE: AP Preseason Poll says Tigers - BandwagonJumper - 10-22-2018 11:59 AM

Results matter.

RE: AP Preseason Poll says Tigers - mairving - 10-22-2018 12:11 PM

(10-22-2018 11:45 AM)Shooters Wrote:  Are not in the top 53 teams in the nation and some of the teams receiving votes do not appear to have talent and depth that the Tigers do. Is this a slap at our coaching staff or our basketball team or both?

From the standpoint of an avid basketball follower and Tiger fan for over a half century, this may be the most undervalued Tiger team that I can recall. I did a quick skim and maybe the 1987 team that’s was on probation and was a top 10 team after curb stomping Louisville at Freedom Hall for conference championship may have been more underrated.

No one in their right mind would vote for us in the pre-season top 25. Way too many question marks this season.

RE: AP Preseason Poll says Tigers - memtigbb - 10-22-2018 01:15 PM

Eh, after the last few years of the clown show, followed by 2 years of the tub of crap, can't really expect much from the national media until we win games.

RE: AP Preseason Poll says Tigers - fsquid - 10-22-2018 01:31 PM

make a good showing at the tourney in Orlando and the votes will follow.

RE: AP Preseason Poll says Tigers - Shooters - 10-22-2018 02:43 PM

(10-22-2018 12:11 PM)mairving Wrote:  
(10-22-2018 11:45 AM)Shooters Wrote:  Are not in the top 53 teams in the nation and some of the teams receiving votes do not appear to have talent and depth that the Tigers do. Is this a slap at our coaching staff or our basketball team or both?

No one in their right mind would vote for us in the pre-season top 25. Way too many question marks this season.

But they would vote for these teams??

Others receiving votes:Loyola of Chicago 162, Marquette 124, Indiana 98, Florida 71, Nebraska 35, Maryland 28, Wisconsin 24, Notre Dame 22, Cincinnati 21, UCF 15, Alabama 15, Arizona 14, Buffalo 14, Louisville 11, Miami 10, San Diego St. 9, Texas Tech 6, Southern Cal 6, Butler 6, Texas 5, St. John's 3, Arizona St 3, Providence 2, Xavier 2, Davidson 1, Missouri 1, Marshall 1, NC State 1.

You guys were all over the FB team preseason: most were debating whether we were going to be 11-1 or 10-2 yet think the basketball Tigers are basically a low D1 team this year.

Basketball returns key players from last year
Basketball had a top 30ish recruiting class
Basketball will have a great home court advantage this year (most coaches
think on the average HC is worth 2-3 extra wins a year
Basketball has a tremendous depth, a true PG, 3 point shooters. Not had in
Past

So I think some of you feel burned by how football has fallen short of predictions and are taking a show me attitude in basketball. You are going to be surprised if casual fans get off their ass and come to ALL games.

I can remember so many games in Dana’s, Larry’s and Cal’s years when we would be behind with 10 minutes to go and had a super crowd that KNEW we would come back and win.

IMHO we are a top 30ish team that could struggle a little early due to 7 newcomers (5 will play) but will be playing their best ball in February as really good teams do. I see a top 2 finish in the regular season conference standings and rolling through the conference tournament for our auto bid.

RE: AP Preseason Poll says Tigers - mairving - 10-22-2018 02:57 PM

(10-22-2018 02:43 PM)Shooters Wrote:  

Others receiving votes:Loyola of Chicago 162, Marquette 124, Indiana 98, Florida 71, Nebraska 35, Maryland 28, Wisconsin 24, Notre Dame 22, Cincinnati 21, UCF 15, Alabama 15, Arizona 14, Buffalo 14, Louisville 11, Miami 10, San Diego St. 9, Texas Tech 6, Southern Cal 6, Butler 6, Texas 5, St. John's 3, Arizona St 3, Providence 2, Xavier 2, Davidson 1, Missouri 1, Marshall 1, NC State 1.

You guys were all over the FB team preseason: most were debating whether we were going to be 11-1 or 10-2 yet think the basketball Tigers are basically a low D1 team this year.

Past

So I think some of you feel burned by how football has fallen short of predictions and are taking a show me attitude in basketball. You are going to be surprised if casual fans get off their ass and come to ALL games.

I can remember so many games in Dana’s, Larry’s and Cal’s years when we would be behind with 10 minutes to go and had a super crowd that KNEW we would come back and win.

IMHO we are a top 30ish team that could struggle a little early due to 7 newcomers (5 will play) but will be playing their best ball in February as really good teams do. I see a top 2 finish in the regular season conference standings and rolling through the conference tournament for our auto bid.

So we don't think we are a pre-season top 25 team basketball team because of football?

RE: AP Preseason Poll says Tigers - ballhog - 10-22-2018 03:01 PM

Past

You're reaching to stir the pot

RE: AP Preseason Poll says Tigers - mairving - 10-22-2018 03:24 PM

(10-22-2018 03:01 PM)ballhog Wrote:  

Past

You're reaching to stir the pot

Maybe a little but there is a lot of craziness in that post. I honestly don't know how good this team will turn out to be. It's not unreasonable to not receive any top 25 votes is the only real point I was making.

RE: AP Preseason Poll says Tigers - Alcalde2 - 10-22-2018 03:33 PM

Imagine if Tubby stayed and got the exact same recruits. Likely 26-3Oish

RE: AP Preseason Poll says Tigers - mairving - 10-22-2018 03:36 PM

(10-22-2018 03:33 PM)Alcalde2 Wrote:  Imagine if Tubby stayed and got the exact same recruits. Likely 26-3Oish

You think? We probably would be ranked top 2 or 3 in conference but I doubt we would be ranked.

RE: AP Preseason Poll says Tigers - Bill83 - 10-22-2018 03:52 PM

We are off the radar, that's probably best to start out.

RE: AP Preseason Poll says Tigers - ncrdbl1 - 10-22-2018 04:23 PM

(10-22-2018 03:33 PM)Alcalde2 Wrote:  Imagine if Tubby stayed and got the exact same recruits. Likely 26-3Oish

Imagine if we all farted french perfume and crapped golden nuggets. That is just about as likely as Orlando getting the same level recruits we got this past year.

RE: AP Preseason Poll says Tigers - fsquid - 10-22-2018 04:29 PM

Past

you seem to have some insecurity issues.

RE: AP Preseason Poll says Tigers - 450bench - 10-22-2018 05:08 PM

(10-22-2018 01:15 PM)memtigbb Wrote:  Eh, after the last few years of the clown show, followed by 2 years of the tub of crap, can't really expect much from the national media until we win games.

agreed

RE: AP Preseason Poll says Tigers - 450bench - 10-22-2018 05:10 PM

(10-22-2018 03:52 PM)Bill83 Wrote:  We are off the radar, that's probably best to start out.

Agreed

RE: AP Preseason Poll says Tigers - 450bench - 10-22-2018 05:11 PM

Agreed

RE: AP Preseason Poll says Tigers - Briskbas - 10-22-2018 09:14 PM

People talking about top 25 votes are getting way out over their skis. We’re 107 preseason in Kenpom (we finished 160 plus last year). And while there are plenty of good reasons to think we might outperform that, it’s not very likely that we’re going to outperform that by 82 places. Top 50ish season, 3rd or 4th in the AAC, maybe the NIT is going to be a good finish for these guys.

RE: AP Preseason Poll says Tigers - holyterror - 10-22-2018 09:16 PM

(10-22-2018 09:14 PM)Briskbas Wrote:  People talking about top 25 votes are getting way out over their skis. We’re 107 preseason in Kenpom (we finished 160 plus last year). And while there are plenty of good reasons to think we might outperform that, it’s not very likely that we’re going to outperform that by 82 places. Top 50ish season, 3rd or 4th in the AAC, maybe the NIT is going to be a good finish for these guys.

About right.