CSNbbs
Thank you Mick Cronin! - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: Thank you Mick Cronin! (/thread-859810.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Thank you Mick Cronin! - Romell Shorter - 10-05-2018 07:54 AM

I know some of you have issues with Mick. Hell! people have issues with me.

Thank goodness Mick has the integrity to keep UC out of this over-flowing toilet of crap!

https://sports.yahoo.com/brian-bowen-sr-details-payments-schools-aau-programs-college-hoops-seedy-underbelly-exposed-225250219.html

RE: Thank you Mick Cronin! - JPBearcat3 - 10-05-2018 09:30 AM

Meh. I couldn't care less either way.

Sure, I don't mind having what's perceived as a clean program. But I also don't see what the real penalties are for doing what these programs are doing. Louisville has a pretty good recruiting class coming in. Arizona just got a 5 star player. So on and so on...

Part of me wishes UC had pockets and fans as deep as these other programs.

RE: Thank you Mick Cronin! - bearcatmill - 10-05-2018 11:17 AM

Just win. Nothing is going to happen to those programs. Everyone is doing it and they will all get a slap on the wrist. Maybe it's time UC gets off their high horse and does what everyone else has been doing.

RE: Thank you Mick Cronin! - stxrunner - 10-05-2018 11:36 AM

(10-05-2018 09:30 AM)JPBearcat3 Wrote:  Meh. I couldn't care less either way.

Sure, I don't mind having what's perceived as a clean program. But I also don't see what the real penalties are for doing what these programs are doing. Louisville has a pretty good recruiting class coming in. Arizona just got a 5 star player. So on and so on...

Part of me wishes UC had pockets and fans as deep as these other programs.

I have a feeling the penalties for UC would be a little different from many of the 'too big to fail' type programs that are discussed there...

RE: Thank you Mick Cronin! - TubaCat - 10-05-2018 11:46 AM

Just win.

RE: Thank you Mick Cronin! - The T-Shirt - 10-05-2018 11:47 AM

Win the right way, or dont compete.

RE: Thank you Mick Cronin! - natibeast21 - 10-05-2018 12:02 PM

(10-05-2018 11:47 AM)The T-Shirt Wrote:  Win the right way, or dont compete.

+1

If I grew up a Louisville fan I would have lost tons of interest after the scandals.

RE: Thank you Mick Cronin! - Def Berkkat - 10-05-2018 12:04 PM

Just win? Everybody's doing it? I wish we were cheaters too?

That's just nuttier than monkey sh*t.

RE: Thank you Mick Cronin! - Bearcat2012 - 10-05-2018 12:11 PM

(10-05-2018 12:04 PM)Def Berkkat Wrote:  Just win? Everybody's doing it? I wish we were cheaters too?

That's just nuttier than monkey sh*t.

It was a positive shout out to Mick Cronin. You know that had to be derailed immediately around here.

RE: Thank you Mick Cronin! - OKIcat - 10-05-2018 12:24 PM

I think it's wrong to assume winning and running a clean program are mutually exclusive attributes.

RE: Thank you Mick Cronin! - bearcatmark - 10-05-2018 12:33 PM

Very proud that all indications are Mick has run an incredibly clean program.

RE: Thank you Mick Cronin! - TubaCat - 10-05-2018 12:34 PM

(10-05-2018 12:24 PM)OKIcat Wrote:  I think it's wrong to assume winning and running a clean program are mutually exclusive attributes.

This here. I'm not "nuttier than monkey sh*t" for being more concerned about our own annual Xavier and first weekend NCAAT losses than what the coaches at UL and Arizona are doing.

RE: Thank you Mick Cronin! - JPBearcat3 - 10-05-2018 01:04 PM

After re-reading my response above, I think my initial sentiment was lost a little. I'm definitely not a Mick-basher. The opposite, actually.

With that said, I don't personally care whether we run a "clean" program or not. There aren't actual consequences either way.

RE: Thank you Mick Cronin! - BigDawg - 10-05-2018 01:28 PM

(10-05-2018 01:04 PM)JPBearcat3 Wrote:  After re-reading my response above, I think my initial sentiment was lost a little. I'm definitely not a Mick-basher. The opposite, actually.

With that said, I don't personally care whether we run a "clean" program or not. There aren't actual consequences either way.

I'd be afraid what could happen to UC. The NCAA has come down hard on some of the non-blue blood programs. UMass is still nowhere to be seen and there are plenty of other cases where the NCAA came down hard on some programs, but often seem to be light on the big boys. That and they really don't care and will likely continue to cut corners and are big enough that players don't seem to care either.

RE: Thank you Mick Cronin! - bearcatlawjd2 - 10-05-2018 01:33 PM

The head coach as three jobs.

1. Win at a high level
2. Run a clean program
3. Graduate players.

I believe the current coaching staff is doing a good job at all three. We all want to win more games in the NCAA tournament but I don't want to do that at the expense of 2 and 3.

RE: Thank you Mick Cronin! - Def Berkkat - 10-05-2018 01:50 PM

(10-05-2018 12:34 PM)TubaCat Wrote:  
(10-05-2018 12:24 PM)OKIcat Wrote:  I think it's wrong to assume winning and running a clean program are mutually exclusive attributes.

This here. I'm not "nuttier than monkey sh*t" for being more concerned about our own annual Xavier and first weekend NCAAT losses than what the coaches at UL and Arizona are doing.

Leaving it at "just win" implies that you don't care how it's done.

We ALL want to beat zavier and get out of the first weekend of the NCAA. However, the line being drawn here is between the people who don't care if we're cheating scumbags like Louisville ...and the people with sense.

So, which are you again?

RE: Thank you Mick Cronin! - CoachFickFan - 10-05-2018 02:39 PM

Of course Louisville is going to keep winning and cheating: they have Chris Mack as head coach!
The Cards this year (2019) have signed four players in the top 100 and three are from out of state. The weird thing is that Bowen is not even a turn around player like Deandre Ayton. Bowen was probably about a top 80 player, until an Under Armour team -- Maryland -- put in a bid! Addidas matched and increased their bid! Most of the colleges listed in the article are Addidas teams.
Here's something good to say about Chris Mack: right now is a good time to leave any of the Big East teams, because their contract with FS1 network is way over priced. Nobody wants to watch Big East basketball games. The AAC football/network contract is way, way undervalued and gets renegotiated starting this June. Our Bearcats will make a lot more money soon. With what network, nobody knows.

RE: Thank you Mick Cronin! - BearcatJerry - 10-05-2018 04:07 PM

(10-05-2018 12:02 PM)natibeast21 Wrote:  
(10-05-2018 11:47 AM)The T-Shirt Wrote:  Win the right way, or dont compete.

+1

If I grew up a Louisville fan I would have lost tons of interest after the scandals.

No offense is meant with this, but let's be honest... If you "grew up a Louisville fan" you'd still be cheering them on and hoping they get back to winning at the top levels again.

Seriously... I hear people say stuff like this all the time, but the numbers don't support it. Louisville has more fans now than 10 years ago; I don't honestly think they've lost any real "fans" because of the scandals. Ditto with Kentucky, North Carolina, Miami, or any other school or team.

It just is what it is.

RE: Thank you Mick Cronin! - Ring of Black - 10-05-2018 05:04 PM

(10-05-2018 01:33 PM)bearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  The head coach as three jobs.

1. Win at a high level
2. Run a clean program
3. Graduate players.

I believe the current coaching staff is doing a good job at all three. We all want to win more games in the NCAA tournament but I don't want to do that at the expense of 2 and 3.

The fulfillment of bullet point 3 is the responsibility of the players, no one else.

RE: Thank you Mick Cronin! - JackieTreehorn - 10-05-2018 05:58 PM

(10-05-2018 05:04 PM)Ring of Black Wrote:  
(10-05-2018 01:33 PM)bearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  The head coach as three jobs.

1. Win at a high level
2. Run a clean program
3. Graduate players.

The fulfillment of bullet point 3 is the responsibility of the players, no one else.

I would think coaches and ADs with academic performance incentives in their contracts would probably disagree.