CSNbbs
A Win is a Win - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Northern Illinois (/forum-468.html)
+----- Thread: A Win is a Win (/thread-858143.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

A Win is a Win - BDB5yp - 09-15-2018 06:27 PM

I was really concerned about how our offense would perform this game. If we’re honest the 1st quarter was the ugliest Huskie Football that I’ve ever witnessed as a fan. What a turn around?! It wasn’t a great performance but my God we looked way better this game than the last. Childers still struggles but found a rhythm. We finally committed to running with Harbs and he had a monster day. Tears provided a spark, and a much needed threat. Confidence is everything for a struggling offense. If our offense can give us 21 per game with the way our defense locks in we can still contend for the MAC. Now we will need to use this as momentum going into the next game.

RE: A Win is a Win - Rabid Squirrel - 09-15-2018 06:41 PM

I’m more down after this game than ever. CMU is bad. Childers did not complete a pass longer than 10 yards. Harbs broke a few, but he was facing 9 man fronts. If you run into that 30 tim s you will bust a few long ones. No defense will allow us to run effectively until Childers completes a pass downfield. He failed miserable when given the chance. The CMU qb looked like a entirely different level of qb the way he made plays.

RE: A Win is a Win - MaddDawgz02 - 09-15-2018 06:44 PM

(09-15-2018 06:41 PM)Rabid Squirrel Wrote:  I’m more down after this game than ever. CMU is bad. Childers did not complete a pass longer than 10 yards. Harbs broke a few, but he was facing 9 man fronts. If you run into that 30 tim s you will bust a few long ones. No defense will allow us to run effectively until Childers completes a pass downfield. He failed miserable when given the chance. The CMU qb looked like a entirely different level of qb the way he made plays.

When you are taught to play checkers, you will look bad when your opponent was taught chess.

RE: A Win is a Win - Rabid Squirrel - 09-15-2018 06:52 PM

(09-15-2018 06:44 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  
(09-15-2018 06:41 PM)Rabid Squirrel Wrote:  I’m more down after this game than ever. CMU is bad. Childers did not complete a pass longer than 10 yards. Harbs broke a few, but he was facing 9 man fronts. If you run into that 30 tim s you will bust a few long ones. No defense will allow us to run effectively until Childers completes a pass downfield. He failed miserable when given the chance. The CMU qb looked like a entirely different level of qb the way he made plays.

When you are taught to play checkers, you will look bad when your opponent was taught chess.

Not if my opponent is blind like Childers is.

RE: A Win is a Win - MaddDawgz02 - 09-15-2018 07:00 PM

(09-15-2018 06:52 PM)Rabid Squirrel Wrote:  

It is probably the most non-ideal situation a QB could be in right now with NIU. Childers may be not starting material for a program with the history of NIU, but its impossible to tell with this coaching staff. I just feel bad for all the recent QBs , Graham, Santa, and Childers. They didn't have a chance from the word Go.

RE: A Win is a Win - Rabid Squirrel - 09-15-2018 07:05 PM

(09-15-2018 07:00 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  

It is probably the most non-ideal situation a QB could be in right now with NIU. Childers may be not starting material for a program with the history of NIU, but its impossible to tell with this coaching staff. I just feel bad for all the recent QBs , Graham, Santa, and Childers. They didn't have a chance from the word Go.

Graham and Childers are terrible qbs. That iS Carey’s weakness. He can’t evaluate qbs worth a damn. He built maybe the best defense in NIU history. He’s made a really good O-line. But his inability to understand the qb position is why he fails and why he is not getting out of the Mac

RE: A Win is a Win - MaddDawgz02 - 09-15-2018 07:08 PM

(09-15-2018 07:05 PM)Rabid Squirrel Wrote:  

Graham and Childers are terrible qbs. That iS Carey’s weakness. He can’t evaluate qbs worth a damn. He built maybe the best defense in NIU history. He’s made a really good O-line. But his inability to understand the qb position is why he fails and why he is not getting out of the Mac

Lack of handling the QB position, and just an overall conservative nature and creating a culture of fear and paralysis. This NIU defense has about 2 weeks before it gets to full out shredding mode. No defense can be ridden that hard, for that long. I almost feel like NIU having that defense has exacerbated pre-existing tendencies. Major major crutch

RE: A Win is a Win - NIUSox10 - 09-15-2018 07:10 PM

(09-15-2018 07:08 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  
(09-15-2018 06:44 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  When you are taught to play checkers, you will look bad when your opponent was taught chess.

Lack of handling the QB position, and just an overall conservative nature and creating a culture of fear and paralysis. This NIU defense has about 2 weeks before it gets to full out shredding mode. No defense can be ridden that hard, for that long. I almost feel like NIU having that defense has exacerbated pre-existing tendencies. Major major crutch

If he sucks at it he should hire a qb coach who can, and who Carey can rely on.

RE: A Win is a Win - BDB5yp - 09-15-2018 07:16 PM

FYI......That Kansas Team that also beat Central Michigan last week that nobody should lose to just romped Rugters 55-14. You have to enjoy your wins when you can get them. Also FSU got romped by Syracuse 30-7. They’re 1-2 and barely beat Samford last week . We have an angry Seminoles team to play against next week.

RE: A Win is a Win - MaddDawgz02 - 09-15-2018 07:19 PM

(09-15-2018 07:10 PM)NIUSox10 Wrote:  
(09-15-2018 07:08 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  
(09-15-2018 06:52 PM)Rabid Squirrel Wrote:  Not if my opponent is blind like Childers is.

If he sucks at it he should hire a qb coach who can, and who Carey can rely on.

Amen , amen and amen. Taking all things offense away from Carey was the answer given NIU's inability to dismiss him. That was the only way to save this thing. Like has been mentioned he does have some strengths it appears, but he should not be allowed in the same room where anything related to the offense is discussed.

RE: A Win is a Win - DiehardHuskie - 09-15-2018 08:30 PM

Agree. A win is a win, but I don't feel good about the rest of the season. I have zero faith in the offense. That first half was something else. The D can only carry this team for so long.

RE: A Win is a Win - HuskiePride12 - 09-15-2018 08:32 PM

A win against a team that we struggled against and will likely end up with maybe 3-4 wins this season. Sad that this is what it has come to.

RE: A Win is a Win - MaddDawgz02 - 09-15-2018 08:33 PM

(09-15-2018 08:32 PM)HuskiePride12 Wrote:  A hard win against a team that will likely end up with maybe 3-4 wins this season. Sad that this is what it has come to.

It was interesting, Rutgers, a team that is seem as somewhat beginning an upward ascent, got manhandled by Kansas. Maybe getting beat soundly by Kansas was not such a bad thing for CMU

RE: A Win is a Win - HuskiePride12 - 09-15-2018 08:36 PM

(09-15-2018 08:33 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  
(09-15-2018 08:32 PM)HuskiePride12 Wrote:  A hard win against a team that will likely end up with maybe 3-4 wins this season. Sad that this is what it has come to.

It was interesting, Rutgers, a team that is seem as somewhat beginning an upward ascent, got manhandled by Kansas. Maybe getting beat soundly by Kansas was not such a bad thing for CMU

Rutgers and upward trend do not belong in the same sentence. That game was between the two worst power 5 teams And someone had to win. Biggest pillow fight.

RE: A Win is a Win - HuskiePride12 - 09-15-2018 09:03 PM

I know I sound like a Debbie downer after a win, but hard to get excited about the rest of the season. I really thought today we would see a lot of different positives for offense cuz it was the MAC and they just weren’t there. I even thought the o-line didn’t pass protect well today. The defense is gong to have to bail us out almost ever game except maybe ball state

RE: A Win is a Win - NIU84 - 09-15-2018 09:22 PM

(09-15-2018 09:03 PM)HuskiePride12 Wrote:  I know I sound like a Debbie downer after a win, but hard to get excited about the rest of the season. I really thought today we would see a lot of different positives for offense cuz it was the MAC and they just weren’t there. I even thought the o-line didn’t pass protect well today. The defense is gong to have to bail us out almost ever game except maybe ball state
Agree 12. What I saw today didn't make me think we'll have a great season, only that we won't go 3-8 or 4-7. I am resigned to watching this year to see the improvement of players over a few games, I'm hoping to see guys develop into play makers for next year.

RE: A Win is a Win - HuskiePride12 - 09-15-2018 09:35 PM

I mean I hope Childers turns into the next drew hare and I’ll gladly eat crow. Maybe something just eventually clicks, but I just don’t see it.

As for FSU. I can’t wait to see Sutton smith licking his chops after how bad FSU line has been. https://www.tomahawknation.com/florida-state-football-fsu-noles/2018/9/15/17864676/florida-state-offensive-line-struggles-willie-taggart-post-game-fsu-football-loses-syracuse

I did like that we saw hall out there today and they were going to try something different with the trick play, just not enough time for it to develop. Need to see some of that next week.

RE: A Win is a Win - HuskieJoe - 09-15-2018 10:14 PM

(09-15-2018 09:35 PM)HuskiePride12 Wrote:  I mean I hope Childers turns into the next drew hare and I’ll gladly eat crow. Maybe something just eventually clicks, but I just don’t see it.

As for FSU. I can’t wait to see Sutton smith licking his chops after how bad FSU line has been. https://www.tomahawknation.com/florida-state-football-fsu-noles/2018/9/15/17864676/florida-state-offensive-line-struggles-willie-taggart-post-game-fsu-football-loses-syracuse

I did like that we saw hall out there today and they were going to try something different with the trick play, just not enough time for it to develop. Need to see some of that next week.

FSU is down right now, it is definitely possible we play a Carey conservative game and back into a W in Tallahassee next week.

RE: A Win is a Win - HuskiePride12 - 09-15-2018 10:32 PM

(09-15-2018 10:14 PM)HuskieJoe Wrote:  
(09-15-2018 09:35 PM)HuskiePride12 Wrote:  I mean I hope Childers turns into the next drew hare and I’ll gladly eat crow. Maybe something just eventually clicks, but I just don’t see it.

FSU is down right now, it is definitely possible we play a Carey conservative game and back into a W in Tallahassee next week.

If the defense scores 2 td we will have a chance. Otherwise our offense won’t score enough. Hope they prove me wrong tho

RE: A Win is a Win - HW58 - 09-16-2018 05:11 PM

Our D has been outstanding so far, Iowa included (they were gassed by midway through the third quarter). But they have yet to score a TD. Offense is going to have to score. Period.