CSNbbs
The Great C-USA/Sunbelt Regional Split - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: The Great C-USA/Sunbelt Regional Split (/thread-857859.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

The Great C-USA/Sunbelt Regional Split - cmett003 - 09-12-2018 11:52 AM

I have finally found the best realignment for the 2 conferences.

New Sunbelt (12 football, 14 basketball, UTEP goes to MW)
FAU
FIU
UTSA
Texas State
Rice
North Texas
La Tech
La Monroe
La Lafayette
Southern Miss
South Alabama
Arkansas State
Arkansas LR (bball only)
UT Arlington (bball only)

New C-USA (14 teams)
Old Dominion
JMU
Liberty
Marshall
WKU
App State
Charlotte
Coastal Carolina
MTSU
UAB
Troy
Ga State
Ga Southern
UMass

Although I dont think everyone will be happy with this, its the best possible alignment.

RE: The Great C-USA/Sunbelt Regional Split - MarshallHerdFanz - 09-12-2018 11:58 AM

Give the SunBelt UAB and Troy. Have C-USA take FAU and FIu

RE: The Great C-USA/Sunbelt Regional Split - cmett003 - 09-12-2018 12:03 PM

(09-12-2018 11:58 AM)MarshallHerdFanz Wrote:  Give the SunBelt UAB and Troy. Have C-USA take FAU and FIu

Who thinks thats a good idea? Trade UAB and Troy for FAU and FIU.

RE: The Great C-USA/Sunbelt Regional Split - cmett003 - 09-12-2018 12:41 PM

(09-12-2018 11:58 AM)MarshallHerdFanz Wrote:  Give the SunBelt UAB and Troy. Have C-USA take FAU and FIu

Regardless of the fringe teams that get in, would you like this conference?

RE: The Great C-USA/Sunbelt Regional Split - mturn017 - 09-12-2018 12:46 PM

I'd say let UMASS & Liberty stay independent.

RE: The Great C-USA/Sunbelt Regional Split - ValleyBoy - 09-12-2018 12:46 PM

Why do fans of CUSA teams want to merge with SunBelt teams. You know there is a reason that fans of SunBelt teams don't start these threads.

Coosa must have been left behind.

RE: The Great C-USA/Sunbelt Regional Split - cmett003 - 09-12-2018 12:59 PM

(09-12-2018 12:46 PM)ValleyBoy Wrote:  Why do fans of CUSA teams want to merge with SunBelt teams. You know there is a reason that fans of SunBelt teams don't start these threads.

So you want to keep things the way they are down in the #FunBelt?

RE: The Great C-USA/Sunbelt Regional Split - CAJUNNATION - 09-12-2018 01:10 PM

If a SBC/CUSA mish mash is the route we end up going, 1 of 2 scenarios will play out.

CUSA West breaks away. Adds a few schools. CUSA East adds a few schools.

SBC is done.

-or-

SBC adds a few schools. CUSA scrambles to make sense of what's left. I'm thinking Rice, UNT, USM and UAB. SBC 14/16

Basically, either CUSA breaks into 2 and takes a bite of the SBC from either side or the SBC will take a bite from the middle of CUSA.

RE: The Great C-USA/Sunbelt Regional Split - Tom in Lazybrook - 09-12-2018 01:19 PM

Neither will happen. You need to get 3/4th of the members of both conferences to agree or it wont happen without lawsuits, regulatory inquiries and massive payments of exit fees.

RE: The Great C-USA/Sunbelt Regional Split - cmett003 - 09-12-2018 01:46 PM

(09-12-2018 01:19 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Neither will happen. You need to get 3/4th of the members of both conferences to agree or it wont happen without lawsuits, regulatory inquiries and massive payments of exit fees.

Im sure they could figure out a deal.

RE: The Great C-USA/Sunbelt Regional Split - ValleyBoy - 09-12-2018 03:23 PM

CUSA fans what to split so bad just go ahead and do the following.

Split into 2 new conferences

CUSA West
1. UTSA
2. Rice
3. UNT
4. UTEP
5. LaTech
6. WKU
7. MT
8. NMSU (add)

CUSA East

1. FAU
2. FIU
3. ODU
4. Marshall
5. Charlotte
6. UAB
7. Southern Miss
8. Liberty or ODU (add)

RE: The Great C-USA/Sunbelt Regional Split - mturn017 - 09-12-2018 03:39 PM

(09-12-2018 03:23 PM)ValleyBoy Wrote:  CUSA fans what to split so bad just go ahead and do the following.

CUSA West
1. UTSA
2. Rice
3. UNT
4. UTEP
5. LaTech
6. WKU
7. MT
8. NMSU (add)

CUSA East

1. FAU
2. FIU
3. ODU
4. Marshall
5. Charlotte
6. UAB
7. Southern Miss
8. Liberty or ODU (add)

Somebody get this guy a map.

RE: The Great C-USA/Sunbelt Regional Split - ValleyBoy - 09-12-2018 03:58 PM

(09-12-2018 03:39 PM)mturn017 Wrote:  
(09-12-2018 03:23 PM)ValleyBoy Wrote:  CUSA fans what to split so bad just go ahead and do the following.

CUSA West
1. UTSA
2. Rice
3. UNT
4. UTEP
5. LaTech
6. WKU
7. MT
8. NMSU (add)

CUSA East

1. FAU
2. FIU
3. ODU
4. Marshall
5. Charlotte
6. UAB
7. Southern Miss
8. Liberty or ODU (add)

If you don't the above swap FAU and FIU for WKU and MT.

Don't need a map to split 14 teams in half then add 1 to each side.

RE: The Great C-USA/Sunbelt Regional Split - shere khan - 09-12-2018 04:01 PM

(09-12-2018 12:46 PM)ValleyBoy Wrote:  Why do fans of CUSA teams want to merge with SunBelt teams. You know there is a reason that fans of SunBelt teams don't start these threads.

Fact

RE: The Great C-USA/Sunbelt Regional Split - mturn017 - 09-12-2018 04:09 PM

(09-12-2018 03:58 PM)ValleyBoy Wrote:  

CUSA West
1. UTSA
2. Rice
3. UNT
4. UTEP
5. LaTech
6. WKU
7. MT
8. NMSU (add)

CUSA East

1. FAU
2. FIU
3. ODU
4. Marshall
5. Charlotte
6. UAB
7. Southern Miss
8. Liberty or ODU (add)

Don't need a map to split 14 teams half then add 1 to each side.

What?

RE: The Great C-USA/Sunbelt Regional Split - ValleyBoy - 09-12-2018 04:17 PM

(09-12-2018 04:09 PM)mturn017 Wrote:  

CUSA West
1. UTSA
2. Rice
3. UNT
4. UTEP
5. LaTech
6. WKU
7. MT
8. NMSU (add)

CUSA East

1. FAU
2. FIU
3. ODU
4. Marshall
5. Charlotte
6. UAB
7. Southern Miss
8. Liberty or ODU (add)

What?

Look CUSA did not use a map when adding members because they went the market route why should they change now. If CUSA does not like what they have now it is up to CUSA members to fix it.

By the way the SunBelt used a map when adding members which is why the members of the SunBelt are happy with their conference makeup.

RE: The Great C-USA/Sunbelt Regional Split - mturn017 - 09-12-2018 04:27 PM

(09-12-2018 04:17 PM)ValleyBoy Wrote:  
(09-12-2018 04:09 PM)mturn017 Wrote:  

CUSA West
1. UTSA
2. Rice
3. UNT
4. UTEP
5. LaTech
6. WKU
7. MT
8. NMSU (add)

CUSA East

1. FAU
2. FIU
3. ODU
4. Marshall
5. Charlotte
6. UAB
7. Southern Miss
8. Liberty or ODU (add)

What?

Look CUSA did not use a map when adding members because they went the market route why should they change now. If CUSA does not like what they have now it is up to CUSA members to fix it.

By the way the SunBelt used a map when adding members which is why the members of the SunBelt are happy with their conference makeup.

Well at least we used a map when we divided ourselves up between East/West.

And I hear this a lot from fans of schools that feel jilted by not being invited to CUSA. After all the defectors left to the AAC, CUSA still had members in West Virginia, the Gulf Coast and West Texas. It was not going to be a nice tidy regional conference by adding members, so they added enough to make two decently regional divisions. These divisions would have already split by now if not for autobids and CFP contract money. So it's just jabbering until that gets figured out. But if we were to split you'd see how happy your Sun Belt brethren truly are.

RE: The Great C-USA/Sunbelt Regional Split - arkstfan - 09-12-2018 04:38 PM

If there is a commissioner, or university president/chancellor, or athletic director at a CUSA or Sun Belt school who has the magnetic personality and skills of persuasion to convince the 24 Sun Belt /CUSA football schools (or 26 hoops schools) to realign in a purely geographic manner I would love to be introduced to them.

Now you want to tell me that ODU and MTSU might get disgruntled and try to convince App and another seven to nine schools to join them in going rogue and starting something new? I'll listen.
Want to tell me that USM is tired of how they are aligned and will start calling their peers in the region about a defection? I'll listen to that as well.

There is essentially no precedent for nice, neat, and orderly.

Big 10 birthed anew, MAC as well but with only one charter left. ACC and SEC were the result of members of the Southern Conference getting frustrated and choosing to do their own thing. Big 12 was born out of the Big 8 needing the prime properties of the SWC in order to survive. The Pac-12 emerged out of the preceding conference being in turmoil. The MWC was birthed out of frustration over WAC16. Conference USA born out of the inability of Great Midwest and Metro to meet the new need to have a football conference and resulted in not everyone getting invited to come along. AAC was birthed out of the collapse of the Big East and the Big East football league rose out of the need to have a football league and the Great Metro failing to launch. Sun Belt football was born out of the inability of the Big West to fill its ranks with western schools and the desire of the Sun Belt football members to have a league.

Seriously if MTSU, ODU, WKU, Marshall sat down and said we want a 12 team conference they might well end up producing something that looks like the monthly SBC/CUSA merger posts but it is just as likely that it varies in spots.

RE: The Great C-USA/Sunbelt Regional Split - mturn017 - 09-12-2018 04:50 PM

(09-12-2018 04:38 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  If there is a commissioner, or university president/chancellor, or athletic director at a CUSA or Sun Belt school who has the magnetic personality and skills of persuasion to convince the 24 Sun Belt /CUSA football schools (or 26 hoops schools) to realign in a purely geographic manner I would love to be introduced to them.

Now you want to tell me that ODU and MTSU might get disgruntled and try to convince App and another seven to nine schools to join them in going rogue and starting something new? I'll listen.
Want to tell me that USM is tired of how they are aligned and will start calling their peers in the region about a defection? I'll listen to that as well.

There is essentially no precedent for nice, neat, and orderly.

Big 10 birthed anew, MAC as well but with only one charter left. ACC and SEC were the result of members of the Southern Conference getting frustrated and choosing to do their own thing. Big 12 was born out of the Big 8 needing the prime properties of the SWC in order to survive. The Pac-12 emerged out of the preceding conference being in turmoil. The MWC was birthed out of frustration over WAC16. Conference USA born out of the inability of Great Midwest and Metro to meet the new need to have a football conference and resulted in not everyone getting invited to come along. AAC was birthed out of the collapse of the Big East and the Big East football league rose out of the need to have a football league and the Great Metro failing to launch. Sun Belt football was born out of the inability of the Big West to fill its ranks with western schools and the desire of the Sun Belt football members to have a league.

Seriously if MTSU, ODU, WKU, Marshall sat down and said we want a 12 team conference they might well end up producing something that looks like the monthly SBC/CUSA merger posts but it is just as likely that it varies in spots.

I have no doubt there's been conversations. ODU and MT's AD's have made public comments saying a realignment should happen. App's AD made a statement the weekend we were there to play. Isn't it harder now to create new conferences and retain your autobid though? And the CFP contract lists the conferences by name. If you're not one of those I don't think you're getting paid. But otherwise I agree with you. It'll be some sort of power-move when it happens or else the P5 expands and the AAC is left with scattered pieces and some amount of horse trading happens to get in generally more regional conferences.

RE: The Great C-USA/Sunbelt Regional Split - cmett003 - 09-12-2018 05:04 PM

(09-12-2018 04:01 PM)shere khan Wrote:  

Fact

Sunbelt might be content but if an alliance starts to form. Don’t bet that your members won’t jump ship for a better opportunity.