CSNbbs
OT: Akron pulls out of Nebraska game - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: OT: Akron pulls out of Nebraska game (/thread-857042.html)

OT: Akron pulls out of Nebraska game - TheOrigamiJimmyChin - 09-02-2018 07:58 PM

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24560545/nebraska-says-logistical-challenges-forced-akron-pull-plug-sunday

I missed this until just now. Nebraska-Akron game cancelled last night due to severe weather in Nebraska. Nebraska was immediately making plans to play on Sunday morning (a la rescheduled ECU game). Akron AD refused and said the Zips don't want to play on Sunday. Apparently there were "logistical challenges" that didn't allow Akron to play today.

In question is the $1.17 million payout that Akron was set to recieve. It's questionable whether Akron will get paid at all for the trip.

What's the real story? Why pass up the payday when you're already there?

RE: OT: Akron pulls out of Nebraska game - HuskyU - 09-02-2018 08:01 PM

Sounds like something Norvell would do... 02-13-banana

They should get nothing.

RE: OT: Akron pulls out of Nebraska game - UCGrad1992 - 09-02-2018 08:14 PM

I've yet to read an official statement from the Akron AD but this article offers an angle to why the Zips didn't agree to play the next day...

Quote:It’s pretty easy to see why Akron said no to this idea. Nebraska players could go back to their dorms and apartments for the night. Where would Akron’s players go? Keep in mind that Husker fans have every hotel in Lincoln booked on football weekends. How would they get eight hours of sleep, fed and back to the stadium in time to prepare for a game at 10:30 am?

Frankly, it’s a simple situation that really makes you wonder why the game wasn’t called at 8:30 pm instead of 10 pm.

Logistics in Lincoln

RE: OT: Akron pulls out of Nebraska game - TheOrigamiJimmyChin - 09-02-2018 08:28 PM

I guess that makes some sense. Didn't think about the limited hotel rooms in Nebraska (spoiled by living in a modern city).

Easier to understand why they cancelled, especially if Nebraska refused to budge on a 10:30 AM game time. Little time for sleep in that scenario.

RE: OT: Akron pulls out of Nebraska game - HuskyU - 09-02-2018 08:31 PM

Makes sense, but they still shouldn't get paid. Maybe reimbursed for travel expenses.

RE: OT: Akron pulls out of Nebraska game - ultraviolet - 09-02-2018 08:36 PM

I wish North Carolina A&T had done the same.

RE: OT: Akron pulls out of Nebraska game - TheOrigamiJimmyChin - 09-02-2018 08:38 PM

(09-02-2018 08:31 PM)HuskyU Wrote:  Makes sense, but they still shouldn't get paid. Maybe reimbursed for travel expenses.

Reading through the responses on UC Grad's link, someone makes a valid point: Nebraska already collected their money for tickets, parking and some concessions. They aren't refunding tickets at this point. Nebraska got their $$$, should Akron get their cut too?

Akron made their travel arrangements and showed up for a game, as obligated. Not their fault the game didn't go on. Are they obligated to extend their stay, and make additional travel arrangements (likely for additional expense) to make sure the game gets played?

Apparently this scenario isn't covered in the contract?

RE: OT: Akron pulls out of Nebraska game - KnightLight - 09-02-2018 08:38 PM

(09-02-2018 08:31 PM)HuskyU Wrote:  Makes sense, but they still shouldn't get paid. Maybe reimbursed for travel expenses.

They will get paid.

The game actually started (Akron kicked off), and then before Nebraska QB could take his first snap, their Assoc AD ran on the field to tell ref about lightning detected within 8 miles...game was suspended...then storms rolled in.

Not Akron's fault there was bad weather...as Akron already budgeted this money...and Nebraska benefited from 90,000 tickets that were sold and used (game had already started) and Nebraska as of now, is not offering them refunds.

Also, Nebraska Athletics Insurance policy also helps with payout of canceled games (thats what UCF did last year).

OT: Akron pulls out of Nebraska game - Jjoey52 - 09-02-2018 09:20 PM

I will be surprised if the Nebraska fans don’t get some type of reimbursement. If that happened to me, I would be on the phone so much, they would give something just to get me off the phone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RE: OT: Akron pulls out of Nebraska game - Chappy - 09-02-2018 09:22 PM

(09-02-2018 08:36 PM)ultraviolet Wrote:  I wish North Carolina A&T had done the same.

Evidently they wanted to but we told them to play or they don't get paid. Oops.

RE: OT: Akron pulls out of Nebraska game - gulfcoastgal - 09-02-2018 09:25 PM

(09-02-2018 08:01 PM)HuskyU Wrote:  Sounds like something Norvell would do... 02-13-banana

They should get nothing.

El Nino, El Norvello...

RE: OT: Akron pulls out of Nebraska game - KNIGHTTIME - 09-02-2018 09:28 PM

(09-02-2018 09:20 PM)Jjoey52 Wrote:  I will be surprised if the Nebraska fans don’t get some type of reimbursement. If that happened to me, I would be on the phone so much, they would give something just to get me off the phone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They will. UCF did reimburse last year.

RE: OT: Akron pulls out of Nebraska game - HuskyU - 09-03-2018 08:16 AM

(09-02-2018 08:38 PM)KnightLight Wrote:  

They will get paid.

The game actually started (Akron kicked off), and then before Nebraska QB could take his first snap, their Assoc AD ran on the field to tell ref about lightning detected within 8 miles...game was suspended...then storms rolled in.

Not Akron's fault there was bad weather...as Akron already budgeted this money...and Nebraska benefited from 90,000 tickets that were sold and used (game had already started) and Nebraska as of now, is not offering them refunds.

Also, Nebraska Athletics Insurance policy also helps with payout of canceled games (thats what UCF did last year).

Ah...That fact that the game actually started kind of changes things. Partial pay-out at least.

RE: OT: Akron pulls out of Nebraska game - panama - 09-03-2018 03:50 PM

(09-02-2018 08:28 PM)TheOrigamiJimmyChin Wrote:  I guess that makes some sense. Didn't think about the limited hotel rooms in Nebraska (spoiled by living in a modern city).

Easier to understand why they cancelled, especially if Nebraska refused to budge on a 10:30 AM game time. Little time for sleep in that scenario.
Also the charter flight. I am sure that was a hassle. Not the same as ECU vs. NCA&T

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RE: OT: Akron pulls out of Nebraska game - KNIGHTTIME - 09-03-2018 04:49 PM

(09-03-2018 08:16 AM)HuskyU Wrote:  
(09-02-2018 08:38 PM)KnightLight Wrote:  

They will get paid.

Ah...That fact that the game actually started kind of changes things. Partial pay-out at least.

Nebraska has so much money. Plus insurance will cover it.