CSNbbs
La Tech @ South Alabama discussion - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: La Tech @ South Alabama discussion (/thread-855951.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

La Tech @ South Alabama discussion - EigenEagle - 08-22-2018 08:15 AM

I think this one is getting overlooked because of Troy playing Boise. I expect both teams to be better this season.

RE: La Tech @ South Alabama discussion - TrueBlueDrew - 08-22-2018 08:18 AM

This is a huge statement game for USA and Campbell. I hope they take the W.

RE: La Tech @ South Alabama discussion - Dawgxas - 08-22-2018 08:46 AM

I was really surprised when the line open -10 Tech, Boise State is -10.5 over Troy, Maybe to induce some action. Would be an upset for USA with new coach but definitely could happen.

RE: La Tech @ South Alabama discussion - sdcritter - 08-22-2018 09:04 AM

The thing about South has been how inconsistent they can be. Whether or not Campbell can bring consistency is the question.

RE: La Tech @ South Alabama discussion - EigenEagle - 08-22-2018 09:18 AM

(08-22-2018 08:46 AM)Dawgxas Wrote:  I was really surprised when the line open -10 Tech, Boise State is -10.5 over Troy, Maybe to induce some action. Would be an upset for USA with new coach but definitely could happen.

I think that makes sense in many cases when you're talking about one team being 4-8 last year and one being 7-6.

I've watched some of Steve Campbell's UCA teams when we were doing our coaching search. It looks like his offenses actually takes what the defense gives them instead of randomly drawing from a group of plays that don't appear to have any kind of synergy.

Having seasons where you always get a nice win or two while losing lots of games IMO is a sign of a team that's got talent and not well-coached.

RE: La Tech @ South Alabama discussion - DETLTU - 08-22-2018 10:49 AM

Thank you for starting this thread by the way. I am ready to start talking about actual football.

I think USA has shown they have talent. As others have pointed out consistency and poor coaching have been the problem.
I'm curious what the statistics are on first year head coaches. It feels like they don't usually come in and set the world on fire in the first year.

Our team should be pretty talented, particularly on defense this year. The offense is the big question mark. I haven't looked at matchups between USA and Tech, but I suspect we match up pretty well.

I think both teams start slow and it's a good game going into half time and we pull away in the second half.

RE: La Tech @ South Alabama discussion - jag313 - 08-22-2018 11:07 AM

This was a good game in Ruston last year up to the 4th quarter. USA had chances last year but had to settle for FGs. Honestly, have no idea what to expect from us other than we should be much more disciplined.

RE: La Tech @ South Alabama discussion - DETLTU - 08-22-2018 11:10 AM

(08-22-2018 11:07 AM)jag313 Wrote:  This was a good game in Ruston last year up to the 4th quarter. USA had chances last year but had to settle for FGs. Honestly, have no idea what to expect from us other than we should be much more disciplined.
It was a good game last year. A few things snowballed at the end to give us the win, but it was back and forth for most of the game.

RE: La Tech @ South Alabama discussion - jag313 - 08-22-2018 11:13 AM

(08-22-2018 11:10 AM)DETLTU Wrote:  
(08-22-2018 11:07 AM)jag313 Wrote:  This was a good game in Ruston last year up to the 4th quarter. USA had chances last year but had to settle for FGs. Honestly, have no idea what to expect from us other than we should be much more disciplined.
It was a good game last year. A few things snowballed at the end to give us the win, but it was back and forth for most of the game.

What kind of crowd size do you think you guys will bring next weekend? Made the trip to Ruston last year. Not a bad drive from Mobile. Had a damn good burger at the Dawg House before the game.

RE: La Tech @ South Alabama discussion - DETLTU - 08-22-2018 11:21 AM

(08-22-2018 11:13 AM)jag313 Wrote:  
(08-22-2018 11:10 AM)DETLTU Wrote:  

What kind of crowd size do you think you guys will bring next weekend? Made the trip to Ruston last year. Not a bad drive from Mobile. Had a damn good burger at the Dawg House before the game.

Should be decent. I won't be able to make it even though it is only a about a 2 hour drive for me. We have quite a bit of family coming to stay with us for labor day weekend and I don't think I can bail on them.

Dawg house does have some good burgers. Service can be slow sometimes but the food is usually really good.

RE: La Tech @ South Alabama discussion - JCGSU - 08-22-2018 11:28 AM

La Tech seems to have our number..

RE: La Tech @ South Alabama discussion - Jag89 - 08-22-2018 12:47 PM

(08-22-2018 11:28 AM)JCGSU Wrote:  La Tech seems to have our number..

This should be another good game. Last year the Jags were playing their 5th straight game and defense seemed to be gassed in the 4th quarter. Latech went to a faster paced offense and took advantage. Seems like we had several injured players on defense too.

Hopefully being the first game of the year and better off season conditioning Jags will be better prepared.

RE: La Tech @ South Alabama discussion - Dawgxas - 08-22-2018 01:06 PM

Some homers on the Sunbelt board. 34-16 last year and -10 favorite is pretty substantial for away team. Thats 2 touchdown favorite.

Anyone betting on this game?

RE: La Tech @ South Alabama discussion - debragga - 08-22-2018 04:00 PM

(08-22-2018 01:06 PM)Dawgxas Wrote:  Some homers on the Sunbelt board. 34-16 last year and -10 favorite is pretty substantial for away team. Thats 2 touchdown favorite.

Anyone betting on this game?

Since when do you get 10 points from 2 touchdowns???

RE: La Tech @ South Alabama discussion - kevinwmsn - 08-22-2018 09:15 PM

The home team is usually given 3 points. I wonder if the stadium vote affects the players. I want to see the team go all "Major League" out there and win to spite the lack of votes from the council.

RE: La Tech @ South Alabama discussion - ragin4u - 08-24-2018 11:16 AM

Geaux Jags!! Beat laturd!!

RE: La Tech @ South Alabama discussion - CardinalBlackTrojan - 08-24-2018 11:37 AM

OC Edenfield is going to have some tricks up his sleeve, I guarantee it. He was always good for a RB pass, QB moving to WR, wildcat formation, or a fake screen.

If USA winds up having a good passing QB, La Tech better have a decent pass defense... because Edenfield will call for 30+ yard pass plays quite often.

On the flipside, if Edenfield doesn't have confidence in his QB to throw downfield, you'll see A LOT of screen passes.

RE: La Tech @ South Alabama discussion - DETLTU - 08-24-2018 12:55 PM

(08-24-2018 11:37 AM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  OC Edenfield is going to have some tricks up his sleeve, I guarantee it. He was always good for a RB pass, QB moving to WR, wildcat formation, or a fake screen.

If USA winds up having a good passing QB, La Tech better have a decent pass defense... because Edenfield will call for 30+ yard pass plays quite often.

On the flipside, if Edenfield doesn't have confidence in his QB to throw downfield, you'll see A LOT of screen passes.

Expectations are high for our pass defense this year. Run defense is the big question.... and offense in general.

RE: La Tech @ South Alabama discussion - CardinalBlackTrojan - 08-24-2018 02:10 PM

(08-24-2018 12:55 PM)DETLTU Wrote:  
(08-24-2018 11:37 AM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  OC Edenfield is going to have some tricks up his sleeve, I guarantee it. He was always good for a RB pass, QB moving to WR, wildcat formation, or a fake screen.

Expectations are high for our pass defense this year. Run defense is the big question.... and offense in general.

USA's RB Tra Minter is going to be tough. He's a big, physical RB. He absolutely hurt Troy last season with his catching abilities also.

I'd say the player you need to worry about most is WR Jamarius Way. I'd imagine he's going to be one of the go-to targets this season for the Jags. He's likely to go in the NFL Draft come April.

RE: La Tech @ South Alabama discussion - JoeJag - 08-25-2018 12:43 PM

Staff has pretty much kept the starting qb private. They know by now I'm sure, but not ready to make it public. My prediction is that Cole Garvin will start, but playing time will be shared in the second half between Orth and Johnson if Garvin isn't effective.