CSNbbs
Who is #3 on the GCU team? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: WACbbs (/forum-376.html)
+---- Forum: WAC West Division (/forum-1008.html)
+----- Forum: Grand Canyon (/forum-988.html)
+----- Thread: Who is #3 on the GCU team? (/thread-855343.html)

Who is #3 on the GCU team? - NMSUPistolPete - 08-13-2018 04:51 PM

According to Verbal Commits, Parker Dale left the team. However, viewing a recent picture of the GCU team, there is a player with the #3 jersey.

That player looks a lot like Michigan Grad transfer (to be) Brent Hibbitts (6'8, 220-lbs).

Brent Hibbitt interview at Michigan

RE: Who is #3 on the GCU team? - gleadley - 08-13-2018 07:54 PM

(08-13-2018 04:51 PM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  According to Verbal Commits, Parker Dale left the team. However, viewing a recent picture of the GCU team, there is a player with the #3 jersey.

That player looks a lot like Michigan Grad transfer (to be) Brent Hibbitts (6'8, 220-lbs).

Get this man a prize. Heard it is Hibbitts. 2 years of eligibility remaining. Not expected to see much game time.

RE: Who is #3 on the GCU team? - NMSUPistolPete - 08-13-2018 09:02 PM

(08-13-2018 07:54 PM)gleadley Wrote:  
(08-13-2018 04:51 PM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  According to Verbal Commits, Parker Dale left the team. However, viewing a recent picture of the GCU team, there is a player with the #3 jersey.

Get this man a prize. Heard it is Hibbitts. 2 years of eligibility remaining. Not expected to see much game time.

It also looks like Majerle added a walk-ons? (or two). I see 14 players dressed out in practice uniforms in the video below... one in red who might be on the team.

RE: Who is #3 on the GCU team? - gleadley - 08-13-2018 11:02 PM

(08-13-2018 09:02 PM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  
(08-13-2018 07:54 PM)gleadley Wrote:  

It also looks like Majerle added a walk-ons? (or two). I see 14 players dressed out in practice uniforms in the video below... one in red who might be on the team.

Majerle usually rolls 3-4 deep with walkons (aka GPA guys), so that would make sense. Still also only have 12 of 13 scholarships accounted for, as I believe Hibbitts is a non-scholarship player. Seems like they learned the lesson from Zamora and are keeping a scholarship in the back pocket, just in case a late opportunity presents itself .

RE: Who is #3 on the GCU team? - NMSUPistolPete - 08-14-2018 05:33 PM

GCU has a lot of size this season. But like last year with Casey Benson as the Lopes point guard, I question whether GCU has enough speed on the perimeter to defend quicker teams like NMSU (and possibly Seattle).

RE: Who is #3 on the GCU team? - gleadley - 08-14-2018 05:50 PM

(08-14-2018 05:33 PM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  GCU has a lot of size this season. But like last year with Casey Benson as the Lopes point guard, I question whether GCU has enough speed on the perimeter to defend quicker teams like NMSU (and possibly Seattle).

Not sure GCU had a problem guarding the perimeter, as they were one of the best in the nation at defending the 3. I'm with you on up and down quickness, though. Going to need a lot out of Rhymes, Drechsel, Frayer, younger Finke, and Milstead on the defensive end, as they should be the speediest we have.

I am also hoping to see a lot more lateral quickness out of the big fellas. For as good as I feel about Lever's offensive game, there is no hiding that he didn't show to be a strong rebounder or defender last season. Maybe elder Finke brings something more, but I'm not sure. Without quicker feet and better awareness from the 6'8+ crew.

RE: Who is #3 on the GCU team? - NMSUPistolPete - 08-14-2018 07:22 PM

(08-14-2018 05:50 PM)gleadley Wrote:  
(08-14-2018 05:33 PM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  GCU has a lot of size this season. But like last year with Casey Benson as the Lopes point guard, I question whether GCU has enough speed on the perimeter to defend quicker teams like NMSU (and possibly Seattle).

Not sure GCU had a problem guarding the perimeter, as they were one of the best in the nation at defending the 3. I'm with you on up and down quickness, though. Going to need a lot out of Rhymes, Drechsel, Frayer, younger Finke, and Milstead on the defensive end, as they should be the speediest we have.

I am also hoping to see a lot more lateral quickness out of the big fellas. For as good as I feel about Lever's offensive game, there is no hiding that he didn't show to be a strong rebounder or defender last season. Maybe elder Finke brings something more, but I'm not sure. Without quicker feet and better awareness from the 6'8+ crew.

Let me rephrase my original statement, I don't think GCU has the quickness on the perimeter to defend in the open court. Too many times, NMSU used the dribble drive to blow up GCU's interior defense because their big men had to help stop the ball. As for defending the three, GCU has the length on the perimeter to alter/disrupt shots.

GCU should have a nice rotation of big men with Lever, M. Finke, Blumburgs, and Jackson (and maybe Hibbitts). Again the question is can they rebound well given their size; all are considered to be stretch 4s and 5s. And, none are really hardhat blue collar rebounder who can rebound outside their area (reach)... like the quick bouncy Jemerrio Jones.

As of right now I see the following starters...

PG: Damari Milstead 6'2 / Trey Drechsel 6'6
SG: Oscar Frayer 6'7 / T. Finke 6'6
SF: JJ Rhymes 6'4 / Gerard Martin 6'7
PF: Michael Finke 6'10 / Roberts Blumbergs 6'10
C: Alessandro Lever 6'10 / Matt Jackson 6'8

RE: Who is #3 on the GCU team? - Lopes87 - 08-14-2018 08:20 PM

Hibbitts won't see the court unless GCU has major injuries to their post players.

I would say Damari is quicker than Benson
Rhymes is quicker than Braun and has 2 good knees
M.Finke is bigger and probably less athletic than Tay was but I'd say Finke has better disciple away from the hoop than did Tay.
Lever and Oscar are who they are but need to be more consistent in certain parts of their games.

I think ppl will enjoy Trey who is from my area and he can hoop.
T.Finke is a freshman that is talented but unless he starts out hot he might have somewhat of a smaller role.
Martin is Dan's swiss army knife great defensive player and moves alright on offense just needs to stop launching 3's lol.
Blumbergs needs to step his game up if he wants to really be part of the rotation in a year from now.
MattyJ5 is a decent post player who should get the least amount of minutes .

The best thing to happen to GCU basketball is that they hired Coach Wilson to the staff.

RE: Who is #3 on the GCU team? - gleadley - 08-14-2018 10:46 PM

(08-14-2018 07:22 PM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  
(08-14-2018 05:50 PM)gleadley Wrote:  

Let me rephrase my original statement, I don't think GCU has the quickness on the perimeter to defend in the open court. Too many times, NMSU used the dribble drive to blow up GCU's interior defense because their big men had to help stop the ball. As for defending the three, GCU has the length on the perimeter to alter/disrupt shots.

GCU should have a nice rotation of big men with Lever, M. Finke, Blumburgs, and Jackson (and maybe Hibbitts). Again the question is can they rebound well given their size; all are considered to be stretch 4s and 5s. And, none are really hardhat blue collar rebounder who can rebound outside their area (reach)... like the quick bouncy Jemerrio Jones.

As of right now I see the following starters...

PG: Damari Milstead 6'2 / Trey Drechsel 6'6
SG: Oscar Frayer 6'7 / T. Finke 6'6
SF: JJ Rhymes 6'4 / Gerard Martin 6'7
PF: Michael Finke 6'10 / Roberts Blumbergs 6'10
C: Alessandro Lever 6'10 / Matt Jackson 6'8

I think Damari can and will get into guys more in his second year, as I've heard his nutrition and training have helped elevate his game since last season. Martin and Frayer are both All-Defensive team guys. Rhymes has played high-intensity, ball pressure defense since high school, and I'm with Lopes87 thast Drechsel might be the biggest surprise of all. Good offensive numbers, but also snagged more than 7 rebounds per game as a PG. The kid is a grinder who may just catch a lot of people sleeping.