CSNbbs
The sleeping giant - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: The sleeping giant (/thread-854759.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

The sleeping giant - sdcritter - 08-05-2018 07:18 PM

In the Sun Belt. Who is it?

I've watched South Alabama for the past few years and thought to myself that if they can every take all that talent and find some focus they could be deadly. I know everyone is high on ULM in the west right now but they have a history of inconsistency. Can the new coaching regime at SoAl bring them to the top? I'm going to say I suspect they will. But they have the same worry that stAte always has. Get a great coaching staff and they'll buy the first ticket out of town.

Who have you got and why?

RE: The sleeping giant - troutbummike - 08-05-2018 07:26 PM

Georgia Southern, because they win almost as much as Appalachian State wins.

RE: The sleeping giant - Usajags - 08-05-2018 08:06 PM

I’d look at 3 different schools right now:

South, they have just about all the tools, and with the new coaching staff, who knows here we might end up.

GaSt, putting a lot of money into facilities, in the ATL market.

TxSt, can’t seem to get a coach right, but they are in the great state of Texas, right coaches with recruiting, they could climb to the top quickly.

RE: The sleeping giant - Yarddog - 08-05-2018 08:10 PM

(08-05-2018 08:06 PM)Usajags Wrote:  I’d look at 3 different schools right now:

South, they have just about all the tools, and with the new coaching staff, who knows here we might end up.

TxSt, can’t seem to get a coach right, but they are in the great state of Texas, right coaches with recruiting, they could climb to the top quickly.

Texas State has been bad for a while. They were not always bad tho. They have won two national titles too.

RE: The sleeping giant - Usajags - 08-05-2018 08:20 PM

(08-05-2018 08:10 PM)Yarddog Wrote:  

Texas State has been bad for a while. They were not always bad tho. They have won two national titles too.

A series of bad coaching hires will do that to a program. They have good fan support, they will eventually(hopefully for them) make a good hire.

RE: The sleeping giant - HCJag - 08-05-2018 08:32 PM

That's the three I had in mind. There a more than one team in the conference that has the potential. I believe GaSt will see their attendance grow with the converted Turner Field and they sit right in the middle of one of the best recruiting areas in the country. Texas State and GaSt also have large enrollments and alumni bases. If they can get on a roll with the right coaches and get the fan bases involved, they can go places.

RE: The sleeping giant - Bobcat87 - 08-05-2018 08:55 PM

(08-05-2018 08:10 PM)Yarddog Wrote:  

Those titles were D II, while nice, hardly relevant to our current situation.

RE: The sleeping giant - sdcritter - 08-05-2018 09:01 PM

The separation between divisions in college football, while there, are not as distinct a line as so many want to believe. It's often about the kind of players you can put on the field. Texas Western (UTEP) figured that out in 1966.

RE: The sleeping giant - TroyFootball05 - 08-05-2018 09:01 PM

(08-05-2018 07:26 PM)troutbummike Wrote:  Georgia Southern, because they win almost as much as Appalachian State wins.

Their giant is more like day dreaming, or napping, rather than a slumber, or hibernation....

RE: The sleeping giant - JSinLR - 08-05-2018 09:02 PM

Texas St is much like N. Texas, they are fighting for recognition and support with 11 FBS teams (Texas, A&M, Houston, SMU, TCU, Baylor, Texas Tech, UTEP, UTSA, UNT, Rice) and how many FCS teams?! And then you have all the pro teams to compete with.

FIU faces the same problem in south Florida.

RE: The sleeping giant - Bobcat2013 - 08-05-2018 09:07 PM

(08-05-2018 09:02 PM)JSinLR Wrote:  Texas St is much like N. Texas, they are fighting for recognition and support with 11 FBS teams (Texas, A&M, Houston, SMU, TCU, Baylor, Texas Tech, UTEP, UTSA, UNT, Rice) and how many FCS teams?! And then you have all the pro teams to compete with.

FIU faces the same problem in south Florida.

We don't really have to fight for recognition with the FCS teams. They're basically invisible in Texas. That's why we wanted to move up to FBS.

RE: The sleeping giant - High Country Student - 08-05-2018 09:34 PM

I'm gonna throw out a name that hasn't been said. Coastal. Joe Moglia is back at the helm this year. He's 51-15 as the head coach at Coastal. I'm not saying its going to be this year but give it a couple of years and I expect Coastal to compete based off of Moglia's track record as coach.

RE: The sleeping giant - sdcritter - 08-05-2018 09:40 PM

Coastal was my second. I'm not familiar enough with them to have a good read but watching them push the piggies to the wall last year had me convinced that they could, with the right mix of coaching and chemistry, surprise some folks. The only thing is they are a few years away on being able to recruit the bodies necessary to make it all come together for 10+ games. Kind of the same thing you're saying I suppose.

RE: The sleeping giant - chiefsfan - 08-05-2018 11:20 PM

Coastal.

Great recruiting area, easy place to recruit to, and a rapidly expanding stadium situation. The potential is high.

RE: The sleeping giant - T2003 - 08-06-2018 02:00 AM

GA State. ATL market. They won't be SBC for long.

RE: The sleeping giant - balanced_view - 08-06-2018 04:52 AM

(08-05-2018 07:18 PM)sdcritter Wrote:  In the Sun Belt. Who is it?

I've watched South Alabama for the past few years and thought to myself that if they can every take all that talent and find some focus they could be deadly. I know everyone is high on ULM in the west right now but they have a history of inconsistency. Can the new coaching regime at SoAl bring them to the top? I'm going to say I suspect they will. But they have the same worry that stAte always has. Get a great coaching staff and they'll buy the first ticket out of town.

can you define what characteristics make a program a giant??
we are all still sleeping right now, some harder than others.

RE: The sleeping giant - eaglewraith - 08-06-2018 06:33 AM

(08-06-2018 02:00 AM)T2003 Wrote:  GA State. ATL market. They won't be SBC for long.

With the fallout from market driven realignment, I wouldn't be confident in the entire makeup of the G5 staying the same in the not so distant future.

RE: The sleeping giant - Golota76 - 08-06-2018 07:14 AM

(08-05-2018 07:18 PM)sdcritter Wrote:  In the Sun Belt. Who is it?

I’d say ULM is pretty consistent. We’ve consistently won 4,5,6 games. Lol

Out of 24 seasons we’ve won 4,5,6 games 16 times. Lol

RE: The sleeping giant - TrueBlueDrew - 08-06-2018 07:23 AM

(08-06-2018 06:33 AM)eaglewraith Wrote:  
(08-06-2018 02:00 AM)T2003 Wrote:  GA State. ATL market. They won't be SBC for long.

With the fallout from market driven realignment, I wouldn't be confident in the entire makeup of the G5 staying the same in the not so distant future.

The market alone doesn't make the giant, but I think GA ST has more going for it right now than just its market

RE: The sleeping giant - balanced_view - 08-06-2018 07:34 AM

can anyone list what makes a giant?