CSNbbs
Starting QB - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Rice (/forum-444.html)
+----- Thread: Starting QB (/thread-854744.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Starting QB - Pan95 - 08-13-2018 04:21 PM

Anyone have any thoughts or background on walk-on Redshirt freshman QB Evan Marshman? His name keeps coming up a lot when Coach Bloomgren talks about the QBs. When it happened during spring practice, I somewhat thought that it was due to lack of depth. But now during fall camp, he appears to be impressing the staff. I have yet to see him play, but I am intrigued as to what his ceiling could be at Rice.

RE: Starting QB - OptimisticOwl - 08-13-2018 05:29 PM

(08-13-2018 04:21 PM)Pan95 Wrote:  Anyone have any thoughts or background on walk-on Redshirt freshman QB Evan Marshman? His name keeps coming up a lot when Coach Bloomgren talks about the QBs. When it happened during spring, I some what though that it was due to lack of depth. But now in fall, he appears to be impressing the staff. I have yet to see him play, but I am intrigued as to what his ceiling could be at Rice.

Bloom must be comfortable with him at third string to move Glaesman.

RE: Starting QB - Fort Bend Owl - 08-13-2018 05:30 PM

Marshman was the guy we got late under Bailiff to walk on to Rice after also being offered a preferred walk-on spot at Mississippi State I believe. I wouldn't be surprised if he's already on scholarship by now.

RE: Starting QB - Rice FB Fan - 08-13-2018 05:36 PM

(08-13-2018 05:30 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Marshman was the guy we got late under Bailiff to walk on to Rice after also being offered a preferred walk-on spot at Mississippi State I believe. I wouldn't be surprised if he's already on scholarship by now.

That was Robbie Blosser who flipped PWO from Miss. State and came to us - a 3-star who appears to be last on the depth chart behind this years' two freshmen according to what was released pre-camp.

What I can find of Marshman is that he was a 0-star, 5'11" kid who has apparently come out and learned the system and is doing well. Kudos to him!!!

RE: Starting QB - ExcitedOwl18 - 08-13-2018 06:12 PM

Ty Detmer coached Marshman for three years so that certainly helped him adjust I’m sure.

RE: Starting QB - ATXowl - 08-13-2018 10:48 PM

(08-13-2018 06:12 PM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  Ty Detmer coached Marshman for three years so that certainly helped him adjust I’m sure.

http://www2.hudl.com/video/3/3318367/57f176d1ed57ee22f8139805

Three varsity starter (2 yrs)Ty Detmer at St. Andrews. When Ty became OC for BYU, Marshman played Sr. year under (1yr)Max Bowman at Houston Christian. Listed as Duel threat QB, he holds the 200 meter track record at Houston Christian. Listed at 5 11 but Nike has verified at 6'1". As a walk on, he will have to wait for his turn. Hudl video looks like he can pass, run, and extend a play. JR and Soph highlights are sold too

RE: Starting QB - Neely's Ghost - 08-14-2018 07:44 AM

(08-10-2018 02:13 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(08-10-2018 09:56 AM)Neelys Ghost Wrote:  Yes... I like being "that" guy.. especially when I'm spot on... I think I definitely fell into the "play Freshman for an excuse" category....

So, what do you think of Bloomgren having a freshman as the starting center? preparing an excuse?

How about having a Freshmen listed #1 at 4 of the 13 offensive positions (and one defensive position)? Or how do you like the position with a soph backed up by THREE FRESHMEN?

I think your theory was an ABOrtion.

Pre camp depth chart

I apologize for my absence. Once I heard the news that Broke Owl blocked me, I went on an introspective sabbatical to discover my true self and make amends with my misgivings....

As far as the Freshman thing... Dude.... you just weren't paying attention I guess.... But I'll try and explain: last year's staff was clearly under the gun to win. They didn't have the "guys to win with" apparently so as that season progressed they started "tanking" under the excuse of "youth and injuries".... All you had to do was listen to the pressers to figure that out.

BUT!! now Coach Bloom is on a new agenda. He's building. He's on ground zero. I wouldn't begrudge him if he started 22 Freshman.

If I can't "teach" you better, I have to assume you're unteachable, hence incompetent... Please try and keep up. #spoton

RE: Starting QB - OptimisticOwl - 08-14-2018 08:10 AM

(08-14-2018 07:44 AM)Neelys Ghost Wrote:  
(08-10-2018 02:13 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(08-10-2018 09:56 AM)Neelys Ghost Wrote:  Yes... I like being "that" guy.. especially when I'm spot on... I think I definitely fell into the "play Freshman for an excuse" category....

So, what do you think of Bloomgren having a freshman as the starting center? preparing an excuse?

How about having a Freshmen listed #1 at 4 of the 13 offensive positions (and one defensive position)? Or how do you like the position with a soph backed up by THREE FRESHMEN?

I think your theory was an ABOrtion.

Pre camp depth chart

I apologize for my absence. Once I heard the news that Broke Owl blocked me, I went on an introspective sabbatical to discover my true self and make amends with my misgivings....

As far as the Freshman thing... Dude.... you just weren't paying attention I guess.... But I'll try and explain: last year's staff was clearly under the gun to win. They didn't have the "guys to win with" apparently so as that season progressed they started "tanking" under the excuse of "youth and injuries".... All you had to do was listen to the pressers to figure that out.

BUT!! now Coach Bloom is on a new agenda. He's building. He's on ground zero. I wouldn't begrudge him if he started 22 Freshman.

If I can't "teach" you better, I have to assume you're unteachable, hence incompetent... Please try and keep up. #spoton

A. Take all the Sabbatical you need, since the first one didn’t work.
B. This year’s staff is also under the gun to win, or are,you saying 1-12 is fine with you?
C. We are playing freshmen. I presume that as we have injuries, more freshmen will rise in the depth chart. Do you see this differently?
4. You cannot teach me because I see the problems with your flat earth theory. Been competent for 73years, don’t need a conspiracy theorist to demean me.
5. Brookesis highly intelligent. He made a good po8nt which you not only cannot refute, you haven’t even addressed it yet.

RE: Starting QB - Owl 69/70/75 - 08-14-2018 09:07 AM

Year 1 is not year 11.

In year 1 you are trying to figure out what you have, particularly if you come into a program that is down. Playing freshmen makes sense in that context.

By year 11, you are supposed to have a program in place and you are supposed to know what you have. If you’re playing freshmen then, either you had the greatest recruiting class ever, or your program is a failure.

RE: Starting QB - waltgreenberg - 08-14-2018 09:19 AM

(08-14-2018 09:07 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  Year 1 is not year 11.

In year 1 you are trying to figure out what you have, particularly if you come into a program that is down. Playing freshmen makes sense in that context.

By year 11, you are supposed to have a program in place and you are supposed to know what you have. If you’re playing freshmen then, either you had the greatest recruiting class ever, or your program is a failure.

This.

RE: Starting QB - OptimisticOwl - 08-14-2018 09:36 AM

(08-14-2018 09:19 AM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  

This.

Ok, Bailiff was a failure, and n year eleven we should have have been better.

So what? We didn’t give Bailiff a free pass in year one, so why should we give anybody ls a free pass in year one? If Bloom feels the need to lay fresh,en, no need to create a conspiracy about it.

I think the conspiracy theory as outlined by Brookes demonstrates the deficiencies of the ABO theory quite well.

If coach X plays freshmen because of injuries to starters, and coach Y does the sam, to me it is the same. Every year. Why is is different in year one, or four, or twenty-six. PLaying the best available personal Regardless of class seems to me to be basic. NG is saying that Bailiff played freshmen in place of better talent in order to make excuses, with hetacit approval of JK. Do either of you concur with that?

One person sees an apple fall and deduces the law of gravity. Another sees the same apple fall and deduces the existence of an angry apple tree god. I think NG is the latter

RE: Starting QB - Owl 69/70/75 - 08-14-2018 09:49 AM

(08-14-2018 09:36 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
This.
So what? We didn’t give Bailiff a free pass in year one, so why should we give anybody ls a free pass in year one? If Bloom feels the need to lay fresh,en, no need to create a conspiracy about it.
I think the conspiracy theory as outlined by Brookes demonstrates the deficiencies of the ABO theory quite well.
If coach X plays freshmen because of injuries to starters, and coach Y does the sam, to me it is the same. Every year. Why is is different in year one, or four, or twenty-six. PLaying the best available personal Regardless of class seems to me to be basic. NG is saying that Bailiff played freshmen in place of better talent in order to make excuses, with hetacit approval of JK. Do either of you concur with that?

I don’t get any sense that anyone is giving Bloomgren a free ride. If this year looks like last year, I think he will catch plenty of Flack. And he should.

Bloomgren takes over a team that was 1-11 last year. 3 wins would be disappointing, but an improvement. Bailiff took over a team that was 7-6 and in a bowl the prior year. 3-9 was both a step backwards and a disappointment. 2008 turned some of that disappointment around. The question then was whether he could maintain that. 2009-11 proved that he couldn’t. Those are two very different situations with different expectations. I expect Bloomgren to generate improvement until he gets to the top of CUSA and maintain there, or I expect him to be gone, either to a bigger job or terminated.

RE: Starting QB - Houston Owl - 08-14-2018 09:58 AM

Not to defend Bailiff, but if he had not taken over after the 7-6 team in 2007, the 2008 team would have had to play six-man football.

There would have been numerous defections if the change had not occurred.

RE: Starting QB - Frizzy Owl - 08-14-2018 10:00 AM

Can we declare "free pass" a straw man and be done with it?

At the very least, the next person to use that phrase with respect to Bloomgren should provide us a link to a post in which someone has actually given him a free pass.

RE: Starting QB - waltgreenberg - 08-14-2018 10:01 AM

(08-14-2018 09:58 AM)Houston Owl Wrote:  Not to defend Bailiff, but if he had not taken over after the 7-6 team in 2007, the 2008 team would have had to play six-man football.

??? The Toad was fired before Bailiff was hired. I agree Bailiff had a depleted depth chart, as does Bloomgren, but he had far better returning talent than Coach Bloom has.

RE: Starting QB - OptimisticOwl - 08-14-2018 10:12 AM

(08-14-2018 09:49 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
This.

I don’t get any sense that anyone is giving Bloomgren a free ride. If this year looks like last year, I think he will catch plenty of Flack. And he should.

It doesn’t have to look like last year to disappoint. Some people are predicting 7,8,9 wins, bowl games, etc. I predicted four wins, so three would be a mild disappointment to me, and a big disappointment to others. Regardless of how many people are disappoimted, and by how much, will part of the blame be put on him be for playing freshmen? I expect he will get a pass for that. Like NG said, he can play all freshmen if he wants. Apparently Bailiff could not play any.

I think the ABO theory is junk.

RE: Starting QB - RiceFootball2K5 - 08-14-2018 10:20 AM

(08-14-2018 10:01 AM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  
(08-14-2018 09:58 AM)Houston Owl Wrote:  Not to defend Bailiff, but if he had not taken over after the 7-6 team in 2007, the 2008 team would have had to play six-man football.

??? The Toad was fired before Bailiff was hired. I agree Bailiff had a depleted depth chart, as does Bloomgren, but he had far better returning talent than Coach Bloom has.

Graham wasn't fired. He left for Tulsa. You may remember the bathroom negotiation.

Houston Owl is right, a big chunk of the 2006 team wasn't coming back if Graham returned. Might want to read the current articles about Maryland if you can't imagine why that might've been the case.

None of this has anything to do with the current team or QB situation.

RE: Starting QB - RiceOL83 - 08-14-2018 10:24 AM

(08-14-2018 10:12 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(08-14-2018 09:49 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
This.

It doesn’t have to look like last year to disappoint. Some people are predicting 7,8,9 wins, bowl games, etc. I predicted four wins, so three would be a mild disappointment to me, and a big disappointment to others. Regardless of how many people are disappoimted, and by how much, will part of the blame be put on him be for playing freshmen? I expect he will get a pass for that. Like NG said, he can play all freshmen if he wants. Apparently Bailiff could not play any.

I think the ABO theory is junk.

ABO theory junk or not, all of the participants are gone from the program or changed positions (Glaesman WR) for the exception of Tyner. Bailiff did many great things for the program and the players who played for him. Unfortunate that he didn’t step away before the wheels came off the bus but thanks to the hard work of David Bailiff we have some top notch facilities to showcase.

RE: Starting QB - Pan95 - 08-14-2018 10:25 AM

(08-13-2018 10:48 PM)ATXowl Wrote:  
(08-13-2018 06:12 PM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  Ty Detmer coached Marshman for three years so that certainly helped him adjust I’m sure.

http://www2.hudl.com/video/3/3318367/57f176d1ed57ee22f8139805

Three varsity starter (2 yrs)Ty Detmer at St. Andrews. When Ty became OC for BYU, Marshman played Sr. year under (1yr)Max Bowman at Houston Christian. Listed as Duel threat QB, he holds the 200 meter track record at Houston Christian. Listed at 5 11 but Nike has verified at 6'1". As a walk on, he will have to wait for his turn. Hudl video looks like he can pass, run, and extend a play. JR and Soph highlights are sold too

Just watched his Senior highlights. Wow, not a bad preferred walkon. And given that Bloomgren is utilizing a meritocracy approach, the fact that he is #3 on the depth chart is telling.

RE: Starting QB - RiceLad15 - 08-14-2018 10:26 AM

(08-14-2018 10:01 AM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  

Well that's some revisionist history if I've ever seen it.