CSNbbs
Starting QB - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Rice (/forum-444.html)
+----- Thread: Starting QB (/thread-854744.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Starting QB - OptimisticOwl - 08-05-2018 04:11 PM

http://www.ricethresher.org/article/2018/08/football-training-camp-update-what-we-know

"The starting quarterback: The million-dollar question. The three contenders listed at the top of the precamp depth chart are senior transfer Shawn Stankavage, junior Jackson Tyner and sophomore Sam Glaesmann. Who will line up under center? Bloomgren said even opening day may not provide a long-term answer; he is willing to play multiple quarterbacks this season if nobody makes it clear who the starter should be. This question could linger for a few more weeks, if not even longer."

Uh-Oh. Been there, done that.

RE: Starting QB - Owl 69/70/75 - 08-05-2018 04:52 PM

(08-05-2018 04:11 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  http://www.ricethresher.org/article/2018/08/football-training-camp-update-what-we-know
"The starting quarterback: The million-dollar question. The three contenders listed at the top of the precamp depth chart are senior transfer Shawn Stankavage, junior Jackson Tyner and sophomore Sam Glaesmann. Who will line up under center? Bloomgren said even opening day may not provide a long-term answer; he is willing to play multiple quarterbacks this season if nobody makes it clear who the starter should be. This question could linger for a few more weeks, if not even longer."

Yes, except I think these guys know what they are doing. I remember Tom Landry using multiple quarterbacks. He was a pretty good football coach.

RE: Starting QB - OptimisticOwl - 08-05-2018 05:55 PM

(08-05-2018 04:52 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(08-05-2018 04:11 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  http://www.ricethresher.org/article/2018/08/football-training-camp-update-what-we-know

Yes, except I think these guys know what they are doing. I remember Tom Landry using multiple quarterbacks. He was a pretty good football coach.

This is the part that worries me:

"he is willing to play multiple quarterbacks this season if nobody makes it clear who the starter should be."

What if nobody makes it clear he is the one?

I have often heard it said, "If you have two (or three) quarterbacks, you don't have any."

RE: Starting QB - Owl 69/70/75 - 08-05-2018 06:47 PM

(08-05-2018 05:55 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(08-05-2018 04:52 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
This is the part that worries me:
"he is willing to play multiple quarterbacks this season if nobody makes it clear who the starter should be."
What if nobody makes it clear he is the one?
I have often heard it said, "If you have two (or three) quarterbacks, you don't have any."

If nobody makes it clear, then we don't have any, regardless. Give everybody a chance until somebody steps up. If nobody is distinguishing himself, I'd rather play 3 than pick somebody arbitrarily just so we could have one and only one. I might feel differently if this were an established team with high ambitions for this season, but we're not competing for a national championship this year.

RE: Starting QB - Ourland - 08-05-2018 06:56 PM

So if he has to, Bloomgren will handle the QB battle in the same way Bailiff did.

RE: Starting QB - Antarius - 08-05-2018 06:59 PM

(08-05-2018 06:56 PM)Ourland Wrote:  So if he has to, Bloomgren will handle the QB battle in the same way Bailiff did.

Year 1 and year 11 are different. You can inherit no QB in year one and have to deal. Year 11 if you have no QBs, then it's your fault.

The other difference is Bloomgren is saying this up front vs acting like we have a #1 and then pulling the "lightning in a bottle" crap.

So yes, same potential result of QB shuffling but one had a decade to recruit one and therefore should get cut no slack.

But yes, even if we dont have a QB I expect whoever we have to not have chronic meltdowns like years past. There is no excuse for poor preparation and sloppy play - year 1, 11 or 111.

RE: Starting QB - Owl 69/70/75 - 08-05-2018 07:02 PM

(08-05-2018 06:59 PM)Antarius Wrote:  
(08-05-2018 06:56 PM)Ourland Wrote:  So if he has to, Bloomgren will handle the QB battle in the same way Bailiff did.
Year 1 and year 11 are different. You can inherit no QB in year one and have to deal. Year 11 if you have no QBs, then it's your fault.
The other difference is Bloomgren is saying this up front vs acting like we have a #1 and then pulling the "lightning in a bottle" crap.
So yes, same potential result of QB shuffling but one had a decade to recruit one and therefore should get cut no slack.
But yes, even if we dont have a QB I expect whoever we have to not have chronic meltdowns like years past. There is no excuse for poor preparation and sloppy play - year 1, 11 or 111.

Big difference between year 1 and year 11. Another big difference is that whoever is on the field, I expect him to be prepared.

RE: Starting QB - Tomball Owl - 08-05-2018 07:23 PM

I thought such details don't matter as long as the Owls win?

Let season at least start before panic and criticism consume the Parliament.

RE: Starting QB - Ourland - 08-05-2018 07:57 PM

I remember Bailiff choosing Glaesman early, but he was injured in the second game. The shuffling of QB's then ensued, and none of them were effective, especially Tyner. I agree that the team was never adequately prepared to play, but I think the QB nightmare of last season developed under it's own momentum, not by indecisiveness on Bailiffs part IMO. Granato's transfer out compounded the problem .

RE: Starting QB - OptimisticOwl - 08-05-2018 09:35 PM

(08-05-2018 09:20 PM)RiceOL83 Wrote:  
(08-05-2018 07:57 PM)Ourland Wrote:  

I remember Bailiff choosing Glaesman early, but he was injured in the second game. The shuffling of QB's then ensued, and none of them were effective, especially Tyner. I agree that the team was never adequately prepared to play, but I think the QB nightmare of last season developed under it's own momentum, not by indecisiveness on Bailiffs part IMO. Granato's transfer out compounded the problem .

Very astute observations of last season. Tyner was the least effective??? Ok... He gave up the fewest points of all the QB’s, only participated in 4 games and a series against Stanford. Two of his games were in clean up duty of the horrific play of lightning and flash. Oh and in playing four games he was the leading passer until the final game of the season but I guess you’re right he wasn’t effective. Research shows he only played three snaps after the open date.. two at TE and one throwing a desperation Hail Mary attempt after the starter threw a pic six to seal the defeat. Granatos departure was a blessing in disguise. Sorry don’t want to hurt your feelings about that one. The way I figure it it’s between Tyner and Stankodore. One will start and the other be one play away from continuing the great scheme and plan Bloomgren and staff have in place instead of the MSO we were all subjected to the last three years.

I wasn't thinking of year 11 when I said been there, done that. I was thinking of another year when we didn't have a clear starter. Three guys, and we had to wait until the opener to pick one, and then we kept changing. One was the transfer from Miami, one the transfer from Alabama. Funny y'all forgot that year and thought I was talking about last year.

RE: Starting QB - Owl 69/70/75 - 08-05-2018 09:51 PM

(08-05-2018 09:35 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
Very astute observations of last season. Tyner was the least effective??? Ok... He gave up the fewest points of all the QB’s, only participated in 4 games and a series against Stanford. Two of his games were in clean up duty of the horrific play of lightning and flash. Oh and in playing four games he was the leading passer until the final game of the season but I guess you’re right he wasn’t effective. Research shows he only played three snaps after the open date.. two at TE and one throwing a desperation Hail Mary attempt after the starter threw a pic six to seal the defeat. Granatos departure was a blessing in disguise. Sorry don’t want to hurt your feelings about that one. The way I figure it it’s between Tyner and Stankodore. One will start and the other be one play away from continuing the great scheme and plan Bloomgren and staff have in place instead of the MSO we were all subjected to the last three years.
I wasn't thinking of year 11 when I said been there, done that. I was thinking of another year when we didn't have a clear starter. Three guys, and we had to wait until the opener to pick one, and then we kept changing. One was the transfer from Miami, one the transfer from Alabama. Funny y'all forgot that year and thought I was talking about last year.

That was year 3. Not year 1 either. Year 1 is a whole different matter from year 3 in this regard. And note a slight but potentially different manner of handling. We picked one, then kept changing. This approach is maybe keeping all 3 in play until one steps up.

RE: Starting QB - GoodOwl - 08-05-2018 11:06 PM

If he loses to Prairie View like the last guy lost to $.05 State in game 1, then he loses the benefit of the doubt. As of now, he has no real QB, and seems to be putting the guys on notice it's time to step up. Very low hurdle to clear, but one that more or less set the tone for the past 11 seasons. Rooting for Coach Bloom to do better.

RE: Starting QB - Antarius - 08-05-2018 11:13 PM

Glaesman and Tyner being ineffective last year - we should have known that going in. it wasn't like either tore it up in the spring game or anything else we saw. Next, Smalls was clearly not planned - he wasn't even remotely ready to play. He looked like we picked a dude out of the stands and threw him in the game; being even less prepared than the average Bailiff team was pretty impressive and that seems to indicate he wasn't even being considered to see field time last year.

This was not a situation where we lost Peyton Manning and had a useless backup like Curtis Painter, which resulted in a bad season. We had nothing but Curtis Painter on our roster. Glaesman, Tyner and Smalls in year 11 as the top 3.. thats the problem to begin with, less so who gets the nod.

FTR- Bill Polian got canned after the Colts went 2-14 after losing Manning. Because again, there is no excuse to have Curtis Painter on your roster as your best option.

RE: Starting QB - Antarius - 08-05-2018 11:22 PM

I assume you are talking about 2010 with Fanuzzi, Cook and McHargue. We also had 2009 with Fanuzzi, JT Shepherd and Ryan Lewis.

So 3 instances. Lightning (or bad luck) doesn't tend to happen in 3s, no matter what the saying says. People tend to default to the most recent instance which is why it went to last year.

RE: Starting QB - OptimisticOwl - 08-05-2018 11:50 PM

(08-05-2018 09:51 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(08-05-2018 06:59 PM)Antarius Wrote:  Year 1 and year 11 are different. You can inherit no QB in year one and have to deal. Year 11 if you have no QBs, then it's your fault.

That was year 3. Not year 1 either. Year 1 is a whole different matter from year 3 in this regard. And note a slight but potentially different manner of handling. We picked one, then kept changing. This approach is maybe keeping all 3 in play until one steps up.

Oh, OK, no worries then.

RE: Starting QB - RiceLad15 - 08-06-2018 08:37 AM

I know the situations are a bit difference, but I do laugh that one of our biggest criticisms of DB over the years, the inability to pick a QB and stick with them, is already manifesting itself with the new coaching staff.

I can't wait until Bloomgren claps his hands on the side line...

This coaching staff should get the benefit of the doubt this year as it will be Bloomgren's first as a HC, and the staff has generally not worked together. The nice thing is, that the coaching staff has seem to have taken a much more aggressive and public-facing stance to the start of the year, giving the few fans of us that are sticking around, hope that we've got a competent staff that can do more than just clap or poorly handle QB situations.

RE: Starting QB - OptimisticOwl - 08-06-2018 10:19 AM

(08-06-2018 08:37 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  I know the situations are a bit difference, but I do laugh that one of our biggest criticisms of DB over the years, the inability to pick a QB and stick with them, is already manifesting itself with the new coaching staff.

I can't wait until Bloomgren claps his hands on the side line...

This coaching staff should get the benefit of the doubt this year as it will be Bloomgren's first as a HC, and the staff has generally not worked together. The nice thing is, that the coaching staff has seem to have taken a much more aggressive and public-facing stance to the start of the year, giving the few fans of us that are sticking around, hope that we've got a competent staff that can do more than just clap or poorly handle QB situations.

The coaches talk the talk. I hope this season will show they can walk the walk. I am cautiously optimistic. I think the talent merits two wins. I picked four because I thought Bloom could steal another couple.

I hope, as Bloom says, one shows himself to be the number one soon. I cannot see us going into October and still rotating QBs, and having much success. First year, third year, eleventh year, seventieth year, it is never good not to have a settled QB order.

I trust Bloom not to let this go too long.

RE: Starting QB - Antarius - 08-06-2018 11:30 AM

(08-06-2018 08:37 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  I know the situations are a bit difference, but I do laugh that one of our biggest criticisms of DB over the years, the inability to pick a QB and stick with them, is already manifesting itself with the new coaching staff.

Leaving aside the differences, which you allude to, I do not think the starting QB situation was one of the biggest criticisms. Reading the board, preparation (or lack thereof), sloppiness, discipline, under 0.500 record, never beaten a top 50 team, "preaseason" comments, clapping etc. would rank far higher.

The issue was less the inability to pick a QB and stick with it as much as an Inability to recruit a QB that we could stick with and prepare him to play.

Quote:This coaching staff should get the benefit of the doubt this year as it will be Bloomgren's first as a HC, and the staff has generally not worked together. The nice thing is, that the coaching staff has seem to have taken a much more aggressive and public-facing stance to the start of the year, giving the few fans of us that are sticking around, hope that we've got a competent staff that can do more than just clap or poorly handle QB situations.

This.

By explaining to people what they are doing and trying to do, it removes the WTF factor.

RE: Starting QB - RiceLad15 - 08-06-2018 02:09 PM

(08-06-2018 11:30 AM)Antarius Wrote:  

Leaving aside the differences, which you allude to, I do not think the starting QB situation was one of the biggest criticisms. Reading the board, preparation (or lack thereof), sloppiness, discipline, under 0.500 record, never beaten a top 50 team, "preaseason" comments, clapping etc. would rank far higher.

The issue was less the inability to pick a QB and stick with it as much as an Inability to recruit a QB that we could stick with and prepare him to play.

Quote:This coaching staff should get the benefit of the doubt this year as it will be Bloomgren's first as a HC, and the staff has generally not worked together. The nice thing is, that the coaching staff has seem to have taken a much more aggressive and public-facing stance to the start of the year, giving the few fans of us that are sticking around, hope that we've got a competent staff that can do more than just clap or poorly handle QB situations.

This.

By explaining to people what they are doing and trying to do, it removes the WTF factor.

It's not even that. As much as a poster or two loves to wax-poetically about how DB didn't have a plan, he did. In the last 3 or 4 years of his tenure, DB constantly said how we wanted to control possession and win the TOP battle, slowing down the play. He also reworked the defense and simplified it. He didn't go into a ton of detail, but he did tell us the broad idea of what his plans included.

The problem wasn't that he did not communicate a plan, it was was that his plans weren't executed well.

It's much less about removing a WTF factor (you'll always have that when things are going bad), it's more about being open and transparent about all facets of coaching (from game-day decisions, to recruiting philosophy, to depth chart battles), and speaking in a technical enough manner that you seem competent and willing to stand behind your plan. We have no idea if Bloomgren's plans will be better, but he is at least selling them better than DB did by the end of his tenure.

RE: Starting QB - Neely's Ghost - 08-06-2018 02:12 PM

Finally.. a Topic within the expertise of the Ghost.... Everyone makes decent points... Let me try and put some emphasis on the good points made and hopefully shed a light of optimism for fans going into the year:

1) Coaching is everything.... The old staff threw darts at the wall schematically... Literally... "(2016) Uh... Texas Tech has good offense, let's run that one" .... "(2017) Well that sucked because we were slow, so why don't we just run that stuff Pitt runs, because it has a lot of motion and stuff"... fail.... Then instead of admitting incompetent scheme or development, they just blamed personnel... I won't go into that.. My readers (all three of you) know how I felt about the ABO.

1A) Coaching is everything (continued)... cultivating a culture... having an identity... an offense that is connected and builds packages off of "hat hanger" plays.... Coach Bloom identified it the very first day: "We are a team that will run the Power"... Then he has backed it up with "oklahoma drills", 9 v 7 live inside hull, etc.

On those points alone, Tyner and Glaesman are both/either worth 3-5 more wins than last year.

2) "A Real competition"... Trust me.. you just have to trust me and listen to the people referring to "Lightning in a bottle", etc. last year, at no time, was a QB trusted to play to his strengths.. Not any of them. For instance, one told not to throw deep, one told never to run, etc.... They were handcuffed by total and complete incompetence and coaches who put politics ahead of play. The ABO has covered that in depth. Those coaches were acting to protect resumes, recruiting labels, and their next job interview...

Coach Bloom is here to win. He might win quick and leave quick, but hes not here to appease any narrative other than winning.

3) For my money, which won't buy any of you a cup of coffee from this computer, I love the fact that we have:
a) a guy with NFL arm talent
b) a guy that practiced in an SEC program
c) a athlete who can run
(those are words from the coaches, not me)......... Sure, I'm pulling for "a)", but I am confident the product on offense will not even be recognizable from anything anyone saw the last two years with any of those guys.