CSNbbs
Will this finally be the year? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: Will this finally be the year? (/thread-854722.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Will this finally be the year? - NewTimes - 08-06-2018 08:46 AM

Finally, some beginning smack talk about the Liberty game. I would thought it would have generated more interest from both LU and ODU fans. So far this has been a yawner with little online interest from either camp. I get it that LU has little to bring to the party other than FBS newness. Mediocre FCS success in the past does not elicit a strong desire of antipathy. Seems like we'll have to let the game playout and then maybe some strong sentiment can evolve. If it was JMU opening against either LU or ODU it would be much different.

RE: Will this finally be the year? - bit_9 - 08-06-2018 09:13 AM

(08-06-2018 08:46 AM)NewTimes Wrote:  Finally, some beginning smack talk about the Liberty game. I would thought it would have generated more interest from both LU and ODU fans. So far this has been a yawner with little online interest from either camp. I get it that LU has little to bring to the party other than FBS newness. Mediocre FCS success in the past does not elicit a strong desire of antipathy. Seems like we'll have to let the game playout and then maybe some strong sentiment can evolve. If it was JMU opening against either LU or ODU it would be much different.

Ya, it's definitely not as hype in that department as I would expect either. Just not as much history between the 2 schools. Maybe that'll change after next month! One of us might hate the other more than the other.

Edit: well... that's a given. But if we win not much will change. But if it's a nail biter or you guys win all hell will break lose. Pun intended.

RE: Will this finally be the year? - AimHigher - 08-06-2018 10:04 AM

(08-06-2018 08:46 AM)NewTimes Wrote:  Finally, some beginning smack talk about the Liberty game. I would thought it would have generated more interest from both LU and ODU fans. So far this has been a yawner with little online interest from either camp. I get it that LU has little to bring to the party other than FBS newness. Mediocre FCS success in the past does not elicit a strong desire of antipathy. Seems like we'll have to let the game playout and then maybe some strong sentiment can evolve. If it was JMU opening against either LU or ODU it would be much different.

It's the unknown. It's hard to smack talk when ya don't know whatcha you have yet. For me it's coming off a disappointing season, nothing special from our spring game coming from the QB & WR positions, knowing LU is going to be excited for their first home game vs. an FBS/ instate program. If this game was played 3 games into or the last game of the season there probably be a lot more chatter. We're still 3.5 weeks from the game and I expect the smack talk to pick up as we get closer to the game!!!

RE: Will this finally be the year? - monarx - 08-06-2018 10:47 AM

I suspect neither team's fan base feel confident enough to talk a bunch of smack. LU probably thinks they have about a 50/50 shot, and I feel like ODU has about a 65% shot to win, but if we talk a lot of trash and lose that will be a whole lot of crow to eat. Better to just let it play out on the field.

RE: Will this finally be the year? - Grommet - 08-06-2018 04:46 PM

I must be the outlier who thinks we're going to kick the ever loving snot out of the Holy Rollers.

RE: Will this finally be the year? - Mr.BigBlue - 08-06-2018 07:13 PM

(08-06-2018 04:46 PM)Grommet Wrote:  I must be the outlier who thinks we're going to kick the ever loving snot out of the Holy Rollers.

I hope you are right but we don't blow anyone out unless they are truly a horrible team and LU is anything but horrible. Plus there are many motivators on the LU side. This game is a toss up and mens so much from a State recruiting and FBS program legitimacy perspective. LU has tons more $ and MUCH better facilities than ODU.

RE: Will this finally be the year? - Grommet - 08-06-2018 08:00 PM

(08-06-2018 07:13 PM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  
(08-06-2018 04:46 PM)Grommet Wrote:  I must be the outlier who thinks we're going to kick the ever loving snot out of the Holy Rollers.

I hope you are right but we don't blow anyone out unless they are truly a horrible team and LU is anything but horrible. Plus there are many motivators on the LU side. This game is a toss up and mens so much from a State recruiting and FBS program legitimacy perspective. LU has tons more $ and MUCH better facilities than ODU.

If it is a toss-up, then logic dictates that ODU has just as much chance as the Holy Rollers to emerge victorious, yet the rest of your post sings the praises of the Liberty. Are you Harry Minium?

RE: Will this finally be the year? - Mr.BigBlue - 08-06-2018 08:05 PM

(08-06-2018 08:00 PM)Grommet Wrote:  

If it is a toss-up, then logic dictates that ODU has just as much chance as the Holy Rollers to emerge victorious, yet the rest of your post sings the praises of the Liberty. Are you Harry Minium?

No..it just points to the advantages that LU has over ODU. We should have a more experienced team and that should help. However...many think LU has out recruited us the last couple of years. The questions is are those players better than our more experienced players. I just can't see a blow out.

RE: Will this finally be the year? - Grommet - 08-06-2018 08:16 PM

(08-06-2018 08:05 PM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  

No..it just points to the advantages that LU has over ODU. We should have a more experienced team and that should help. However...many think LU has out recruited us the last couple of years. The questions is are those players better than our more experienced players. I just can't see a blow out.

I'll certainly concede as a private school with the online Golden Goose, they are able to outspend us but with the conduct rules that LU has, I can't see that being a recruit's dream destination.

Maybe I'm uneducated. Please list recruiting battles we have lost with Liberty.

Off the top of my head, I think we won one last year with LaLa.

RE: Will this finally be the year? - Monarchist13 - 08-06-2018 08:19 PM

Liberty's class for 2018 was rated 135. ODUs was 126. Liberty's class for 2017 was rated 171. ODUs was 124. Liberty' class for 2016 was 180. ODU's was 120. Liberty's class for 2015 was 142. ODU's was 110.

Liberty's average class for the last 4 years ranks 157. ODU's average class ranks 120.

So, who are these folks who think they've outrecruited us?

RE: Will this finally be the year? - Grommet - 08-06-2018 08:48 PM

Head to head, with both offering, 2014-18, per 247 pages:

Chose ODU
https://247sports.com/player/elijah-davis-46050250
https://247sports.com/player/lance-boykin-46048418
https://247sports.com/player/jelani-carter-37335
https://247sports.com/player/parrish-gordon-80683

Chose Liberty
None Listed

(2019, not signed)https://247sports.com/player/johnathan-bennett-46039384

RE: Will this finally be the year? - ODU AGGIE - 08-06-2018 08:51 PM

Well done, ODUD. Maybe this will not be a blowout, but ODU will win, and I believe the outcome will never be in doubt.

Will this finally be the year? - Big Bluezilla - 08-07-2018 04:15 AM

(08-06-2018 08:48 PM)Grommet Wrote:  Head to head, with both offering, 2014-18, per 247 pages:

Chose ODU
https://247sports.com/player/elijah-davis-46050250
https://247sports.com/player/lance-boykin-46048418
https://247sports.com/player/jelani-carter-37335
https://247sports.com/player/parrish-gordon-80683

Chose Liberty
None Listed

(2019, not signed)https://247sports.com/player/johnathan-bennett-46039384

And now ... perhaps Frederik Antoine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Will this finally be the year? - odu09 - 08-07-2018 06:56 AM

So we've never lost a recruiting battle to Liberty, not yet at least. Out of curiosity for those of you who pay attention to the recruiting battles, have we ever lost a recruiting battle to James or another FCS team since we've turned FBS?

RE: Will this finally be the year? - Monarchist13 - 08-07-2018 08:06 AM

(08-07-2018 06:56 AM)odu09 Wrote:  So we've never lost a recruiting battle to Liberty, not yet at least. Out of curiosity for those of you who pay attention to the recruiting battles, have we ever lost a recruiting battle to James or another FCS team since we've turned FBS?

We don't battle that often with either Liberty or JMU in recruiting but here are the signees and 2019 commits (according to 247) both JMU and ODU offered.

JMU;
Brandon Ravenel ('13)
Hunter Bullock ('19)

ODU;
Kanyia Anderson ('13)
Vincent Lowe ('14)
Quintin Reynolds ('14)
Jaylin Jeffries ('14)
Quincy Watts ('15)
Devin Hannan ('15)
Elijah Davis ('18)
Dean Powell ('19)

RE: Will this finally be the year? - Gilesfan - 08-07-2018 09:16 AM

You have this bad habit of saying “many people” zero support and basically just your negative slant on things.

RE: Will this finally be the year? - mturn017 - 08-07-2018 09:34 AM

I'm with Grommet. We're talking about a Liberty Team that beat Duquesne by a field goal last year. I think they have a good QB and some receivers but I don't think their O-Line is ready for what's about to come at them. Their QB is gonna get shook and Cox is going to run it down their throat. Our passing game will be the difference between a comfortable win and a beat down.

RE: Will this finally be the year? - odufansam - 08-07-2018 10:20 AM

(08-07-2018 09:34 AM)mturn017 Wrote:  I'm with Grommet. We're talking about a Liberty Team that beat Duquesne by a field goal last year. I think they have a good QB and some receivers but I don't think their O-Line is ready for what's about to come at them. Their QB is gonna get shook and Cox is going to run it down their throat. Our passing game will be the difference between a comfortable win and a beat down.

IF we can cover their receivers long enough for the D-Line to work. Nagy has to challenge the short throws otherwise it neutralizes a great pass rush.

RE: Will this finally be the year? - 12thmonarch - 08-07-2018 10:49 AM

LOL. I hope that is what happens and Jerry Foolwell Jr and Turned down gill hold each other when they cry in the bathroom. Go Monarchs douse the flames.

RE: Will this finally be the year? - monarx - 08-07-2018 11:28 AM

(08-07-2018 08:06 AM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  
(08-07-2018 06:56 AM)odu09 Wrote:  So we've never lost a recruiting battle to Liberty, not yet at least. Out of curiosity for those of you who pay attention to the recruiting battles, have we ever lost a recruiting battle to James or another FCS team since we've turned FBS?

We don't battle that often with either Liberty or JMU in recruiting but here are the signees and 2019 commits (according to 247) both JMU and ODU offered.

JMU;
Brandon Ravenel ('13)
Hunter Bullock ('19)

ODU;
Kanyia Anderson ('13)
Vincent Lowe ('14)
Quintin Reynolds ('14)
Jaylin Jeffries ('14)
Quincy Watts ('15)
Devin Hannan ('15)
Elijah Davis ('18)
Dean Powell ('19)

As it should be. I respect JMU very much, but a FBS team should be out recruiting FCS teams. I expect this to be the case most of the time we go head to head. I just hope we get to the point where we win 20% of the recruiting battles against UVA or VT, like JMU vs ODU.