CSNbbs
An SEC with partial members - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SECbbs (/forum-285.html)
+---- Forum: SEC Conference Talk (/forum-246.html)
+---- Thread: An SEC with partial members (/thread-854713.html)

Pages: 1 2

An SEC with partial members - AllTideUp - 08-04-2018 11:03 PM

Another thread got me thinking...

What if the SEC embraced the notion of partial members? I think this could actually be beneficial if executed correctly.

While ideally every member of the league would have strong performers in the revenue sports, this may never be the case for some lesser funded schools.

Vanderbilt has yet to commit to a new football stadium or major upgrades to the current facility. Perhaps a well funded football program is not a realistic endeavor for them and in this day and age when money is still growing and the big boys keep getting bigger, it's entirely possible the window for Vandy to alter their dynamics has closed.

So what if we asked Vanderbilt to remove their football program from SEC competition?

I'm not saying Vandy should drop football. Actually, if a school can afford to field a team at the D1 level without heavy subsidies then you should probably do it because it's still the best promotional tool for a university as far as athletic squads go.

If this were to happen then pay them commiserate with the media value a member would have without football in the fold. This saves everyone a little money and it gives Vandy a good excuse not to spend much on their football program and they clearly don't want to do that anyway.

They could play an independent schedule which would allow them to win more games against comparable competition. We could give them a 5 game agreement similar to what Notre Dame gets. That way, Vandy is taken care of as they are still a valued member, but their removal from football competition would open up a very valuable spot for another strong program to enter and ultimately boost everyone's bottom line.

In the aftermath of a decision like this, what if we made a move to add Texas, Texas Tech, and Kansas?

We would have made room for both TX schools, keeping Texas Tech safe in the process, while also allowing a regional rival for Missouri. We get Kansas' basketball prowess, a new market, and an AAU school while not forcing a strained relationship in the TX capital.

In this scenario, we've got 17 members. I would propose adding Tulane and Rice and giving them the same deal offered to Vanderbilt. One thing this does is add to our academic credibility, but from an athletic standpoint it also allows less travel for minor sports. At that, road games for football would allow visiting fans not to have to travel so far for "non-conference" match-ups against these schools. These "cupcakes" would be built into the schedule, but the money would be remaining in house if you think about it.

I'll even throw this out there...with an eye towards expanding our sports offerings with lacrosse and hockey, I would say even up our membership numbers with a school like Denver. I think you could see schools like Vandy and Tulane add lacrosse as well to help our TV content.

Now, we've got 20, but 4 of them are partials.

RE: An SEC with partial members - USAFMEDIC - 08-04-2018 11:40 PM

(08-04-2018 11:03 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  Another thread got me thinking...

What if the SEC embraced the notion of partial members? I think this could actually be beneficial if executed correctly.

While ideally every member of the league would have strong performers in the revenue sports, this may never be the case for some lesser funded schools.

Vanderbilt has yet to commit to a new football stadium or major upgrades to the current facility. Perhaps a well funded football program is not a realistic endeavor for them and in this day and age when money is still growing and the big boys keep getting bigger, it's entirely possible the window for Vandy to alter their dynamics has closed.

So what if we asked Vanderbilt to remove their football program from SEC competition?

I'm not saying Vandy should drop football. Actually, if a school can afford to field a team at the D1 level without heavy subsidies then you should probably do it because it's still the best promotional tool for a university as far as athletic squads go.

If this were to happen then pay them commiserate with the media value a member would have without football in the fold. This saves everyone a little money and it gives Vandy a good excuse not to spend much on their football program and they clearly don't want to do that anyway.

They could play an independent schedule which would allow them to win more games against comparable competition. We could give them a 5 game agreement similar to what Notre Dame gets. That way, Vandy is taken care of as they are still a valued member, but their removal from football competition would open up a very valuable spot for another strong program to enter and ultimately boost everyone's bottom line.

In the aftermath of a decision like this, what if we made a move to add Texas, Texas Tech, and Kansas?

We would have made room for both TX schools, keeping Texas Tech safe in the process, while also allowing a regional rival for Missouri. We get Kansas' basketball prowess, a new market, and an AAU school while not forcing a strained relationship in the TX capital.

In this scenario, we've got 17 members. I would propose adding Tulane and Rice and giving them the same deal offered to Vanderbilt. One thing this does is add to our academic credibility, but from an athletic standpoint it also allows less travel for minor sports. At that, road games for football would allow visiting fans not to have to travel so far for "non-conference" match-ups against these schools. These "cupcakes" would be built into the schedule, but the money would be remaining in house if you think about it.

I'll even throw this out there...with an eye towards expanding our sports offerings with lacrosse and hockey, I would say even up our membership numbers with a school like Denver. I think you could see schools like Vandy and Tulane add lacrosse as well to help our TV content.

I think Vandy might have a problem with leaving SEC money. Maybe the SEC needs to enact rules requiring a minimum number of seats, program funding, etc.

RE: An SEC with partial members - JRsec - 08-04-2018 11:54 PM

I've always liked the idea but never really saw a great way to pull it off until now. Think about how easy it would be to have the ACC essentially merge with us if we could have the SEC, and the SEC/PSC.

That's right the SEC Private School Conference (16 privates or service academies).

Boston College, Pittsburgh (quasi private), Syracuse, Temple
Duke, Wake Forest, Vanderbilt, Tulane
Baylor, T.C.U., Rice, S.M.U.
Air Force, Army, Navy, Tulsa

Then the regular SEC could consist of these schools (yes 30):

North Carolina, N.C. State, Notre Dame, Virginia, Virginia Tech, West Virginia

Clemson, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Georgia Tech, South Carolina

Alabama, Auburn, Kentucky, Louisville, Miami, Tennessee

Arkansas, Louisiana State, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Missouri, Texas A&M

Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech

Now that would be a heckuva group with which to leverage rights and set up an academic consortium.

The main SEC advances 5 schools for the conference playoff and the Privates advance 2 while 1 at large school is selected.

The 8 schools play down to 1 and that one plays in the National Championship game.

RE: An SEC with partial members - USAFMEDIC - 08-05-2018 12:04 AM

(08-04-2018 11:54 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

I've always liked the idea but never really saw a great way to pull it off until now. Think about how easy it would be to have the ACC essentially merge with us if we could have the SEC, and the SEC/PSC.

That's right the SEC Private School Conference (16 privates or service academies).

Now that would be a heckuva group with which to leverage rights and set up an academic consortium.

The main SEC advances 5 schools for the conference playoff and the Privates advance 2 while 1 at large school is selected.

The 8 schools play down to 1 and that one plays in the National Championship game.
A little outside the box thinking, but would be nice if all parties agreed. ESPN would love that.

RE: An SEC with partial members - Carolina_Low_Country - 08-05-2018 06:14 AM

Why hasn’t the SEC requires Vanderbilt to move some home games to Nissan Stadium? Home games against Tennessee, Alabama, Auburn, and Georgia would be well attended, way over the 40000 market that Vanderbilt can hold. I know Tennessee State places their home games there but for one game a year the scheduling could be worked out.

RE: An SEC with partial members - JRsec - 08-05-2018 02:16 PM

(08-05-2018 06:14 AM)Carolina_Low_Country Wrote:  Why hasn’t the SEC requires Vanderbilt to move some home games to Nissan Stadium? Home games against Tennessee, Alabama, Auburn, and Georgia would be well attended, way over the 40000 market that Vanderbilt can hold. I know Tennessee State places their home games there but for one game a year the scheduling could be worked out.

Probably because Vanderbilt would be responsible for the rental. But it's a good question.

RE: An SEC with partial members - AllTideUp - 08-05-2018 02:42 PM

I believe Temple is public, but they would probably go for it.

RE: An SEC with partial members - OdinFrigg - 08-05-2018 02:55 PM

(08-05-2018 02:42 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  

Temple is state-related; same category as Pitt & Penn State.

You have private Miami listed with the "publics". Maybe that was intentional.

RE: An SEC with partial members - JRsec - 08-05-2018 03:15 PM

(08-05-2018 02:55 PM)OdinFrigg Wrote:  

Well, I also had Notre Dame listed with the publics. I assumed that both would rather play up than down.

As for Temple, I simply didn't realize that they were a public. I thought they were a hybrid like Pitt. It's Penn State that I didn't realize was also a hybrid.

That said I see this exercise as being intentionally one that is out of the box. The concepts of taking partials is useful to play around with. With a lot of partials then perhaps a different breakdown under the conference banner (as a leverage grouping) could also prove beneficial. So I was playing with that concept.

If the SEC wants to build an academic coalition among Southern schools then utilizing a vehicle of this sort has some practical application. We give them some scheduling privileges for football, include them at the minor sports level including basketball and football, and then share an academic alliance.

The trick would be finding ways to include schools like Emory.

RE: An SEC with partial members - OdinFrigg - 08-05-2018 04:16 PM

(08-05-2018 03:15 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

Well, I also had Notre Dame listed with the publics. I assumed that both would rather play up than down.

As for Temple, I simply didn't realize that they were a public. I thought they were a hybrid like Pitt. It's Penn State that I didn't realize was also a hybrid.

That said I see this exercise as being intentionally one that is out of the box. The concepts of taking partials is useful to play around with. With a lot of partials then perhaps a different breakdown under the conference banner (as a leverage grouping) could also prove beneficial. So I was playing with that concept.

If the SEC wants to build an academic coalition among Southern schools then utilizing a vehicle of this sort has some practical application. We give them some scheduling privileges for football, include them at the minor sports level including basketball and football, and then share an academic alliance.

Lincoln University in PA is also state-related. Lincoln is a smaller HBC located outside of Philly.

State-related means these schools are heavily subsidized by the Commonwealth, charge non-resident tuition where applicable, and have state representation on the Board of Trustees. Personnel, including faculty, are not state employees. Technically, these schools are privately administered.

The 14, mostly Div. 2, Commonwealth owned and operated universities in PA are Edinboro, California of PA, Indiana of PA, Cheney (HBC), Lock Haven, Millersville, Mansfield, West Chester, Kutztown, East Stroudsburg, Slippery Rock, Clarion, Shippensburg, and Bloomsburg.

Penn State receives, though, way more money than these fourteen. Penn State has a bunch of branch campuses. Pitt has a few such as campuses in Johnstown and Bradford.

OK, I am going off-topic.

RE: An SEC with partial members - JRsec - 08-05-2018 05:26 PM

(08-05-2018 04:16 PM)OdinFrigg Wrote:  
(08-05-2018 03:15 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(08-04-2018 11:54 PM)JRsec Wrote:  I've always liked the idea but never really saw a great way to pull it off until now. Think about how easy it would be to have the ACC essentially merge with us if we could have the SEC, and the SEC/PSC.

Lincoln University in PA is also state-related. Lincoln is a smaller HBC located outside of Philly.

State-related means these schools are heavily subsidized by the Commonwealth, charge non-resident tuition where applicable, and have state representation on the Board of Trustees. Personnel, including faculty, are not state employees. Technically, these schools are privately administered.

The 14, mostly Div. 2, Commonwealth owned and operated universities in PA are Edinboro, California of PA, Indiana of PA, Cheney (HBC), Lock Haven, Millersville, Mansfield, West Chester, Kutztown, East Stroudsburg, Slippery Rock, Clarion, Shippensburg, and Bloomsburg.

Penn State receives, though, way more money than these fourteen. Penn State has a bunch of branch campuses. Pitt has a few such as campuses in Johnstown and Bradford.

That's okay. I learned something today and that made posting worthwhile this Sunday. Thanks.

RE: An SEC with partial members - JRsec - 08-05-2018 05:29 PM

Thanks, when I checked back into this thread I read the last post first and Odin Frigg confirmed what you said sort of. I never realized that all of those Pennsylvania schools are public funded schools that operate as private schools with the faculty not being state employees.

RE: An SEC with partial members - AllTideUp - 08-05-2018 06:23 PM

(08-05-2018 05:29 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

Thanks, when I checked back into this thread I read the last post first and Odin Frigg confirmed what you said sort of. I never realized that all of those Pennsylvania schools are public funded schools that operate as private schools with the faculty not being state employees.

I didn't know they did it quite that way either. I knew Pitt was a little different, but wasn't sure exactly how.

RE: An SEC with partial members - AllTideUp - 08-05-2018 07:22 PM

(08-05-2018 04:16 PM)OdinFrigg Wrote:  Lincoln University in PA is also state-related. Lincoln is a smaller HBC located outside of Philly.

Interesting.

I guess that means the state government has no influence over the day to day operations other than threatening to remove funding.

RE: An SEC with partial members - GoodOwl - 08-06-2018 11:07 PM

We'd like it better than CUSA, for sure.
Any scheduling favors with the regular SEC to sweeten things?

RE: An SEC with partial members - JRsec - 08-06-2018 11:13 PM

(08-06-2018 11:07 PM)GoodOwl Wrote:  

We'd like it better than CUSA, for sure.
Any scheduling favors with the regular SEC to sweeten things?

We all have OOC games to fill, why not fill them in house so to speak?

RE: An SEC with partial members - Gamecock - 08-10-2018 02:08 PM

It's not the worst idea, but personally I prefer the idea of everybody being a full member.

I don't think it ever would have happened, but I wish we had pursued a sort of scheduling agreement with ND before they aligned with the ACC. We could have provided a more flexible number (maybe only 3-4 games a year instead of 5) and it would have led to some more REALLY high profile matchups. I don't think South Bend is any further from the core group of SEC schools than it is the ACC, so the affect on non-revenue sports would be negligible.

RE: An SEC with partial members - Win5002 - 08-10-2018 05:04 PM

I'm not sure it makes that much sense for the SEC, since they already have a network.

I have wondered if it would help the Big 12 to offer 4-6 Notre Dame type offers to schools like AAC schools where they give full basketball membership, guarantee 3 football games against Big 12 schools and the associate members are required to assign the rights to their home football games to a Big 12 conference network. At least working off the current tv revenues of those schools the B12 should be able to offer a better revenue since its peanuts (1-2M) and then give those schools a cut in the network also based on subscriptions they generate, maybe anywhere from 33% to 100% network revenue. If they took Cincy, UCONN, Houston, Memphis, BYU and one other that's good basketball, they don't dilute their T1 & T2 football revenue and might give more markets for a network as well as a lot of content for a network.

RE: An SEC with partial members - Gamecock - 08-13-2018 06:21 PM

(08-10-2018 05:04 PM)Win5002 Wrote:  I'm not sure it makes that much sense for the SEC, since they already have a network.

I have wondered if it would help the Big 12 to offer 4-6 Notre Dame type offers to schools like AAC schools where they give full basketball membership, guarantee 3 football games against Big 12 schools and the associate members are required to assign the rights to their home football games to a Big 12 conference network. At least working off the current tv revenues of those schools the B12 should be able to offer a better revenue since its peanuts (1-2M) and then give those schools a cut in the network also based on subscriptions they generate, maybe anywhere from 33% to 100% network revenue. If they took Cincy, UCONN, Houston, Memphis, BYU and one other that's good basketball, they don't dilute their T1 & T2 football revenue and might give more markets for a network as well as a lot of content for a network.

This...would actually work

RE: An SEC with partial members - ICThawk - 08-13-2018 08:00 PM

(08-13-2018 06:21 PM)Gamecock Wrote:  
(08-10-2018 05:04 PM)Win5002 Wrote:  I'm not sure it makes that much sense for the SEC, since they already have a network.

This...would actually work

It MIGHT work, though I would say it would have pretty long odds being successful.
The AAC (see their thread) is EXPECTING a bump to between $5M to $15M per school per year (what they actually DO get is certainly questionable). It would probably only work if the bump is toward the very low end of that range. Giving four of the successful AAC basketball teams "full membership" in the Big XII would also seems to "gut" the AAC (since basketball, not football is the "strength" of the conference) and therefore substantially reduce the value of the AAC (not to mention contact problems if not done almost immediately as the AAC contract is up shortly). Also, with the cable "subscribers" model seemingly losing out to the OTT "content" model, would that affect value? Without Texas (since that will be on the LHN until 2031 or so) would it be a true Big XII network? All in all, I do have to seriously question the viability of a Big XII network as proposed in this thread.