CSNbbs
Urban, say it ain’t so! - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+------ Forum: Chris Tipton Off Topic Forum (/forum-638.html)
+------ Thread: Urban, say it ain’t so! (/thread-854468.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Urban, say it ain’t so! - Billy_Bearcat - 08-01-2018 11:45 AM

Urban knew about domestic abuse

Quote:When asked at this year's Big Ten Media Days, Ohio State coach Urban Meyer said he was unaware of a 2015 domestic violence incident involving former Buckeyes wide receiver Zach Smith and his now ex-wife, Courtney. Specifically, Meyer told reporters at the event in Chicago that he was only informed of the situation right before his appearance.
"I got a text last night that something happened in 2015, and there was nothing," Meyer told reporters, adding, "I don't know who creates a story like that."
However, Brett McMurphy reported Wednesday -- through a string of interviews and text messages he uncovered -- that Meyer did know about the 2015 incident in which Smith was arrested for felonious assault and domestic violence of his then-wife.
McMurphy's entire report is obviously worth reading, but the pertinent information includes the following ...
Courtney Smith's text messages with Meyer's wife, Shelley, who at one point during a 2015 exchange said, "I am with you! A lot of women stay hoping it will get better. I don't blame you! But just want u to be safe. Do you have a restraining order? He scares me." Courtney added that Shelley was a "frequent texter."
Courtney's communication with wives of other Ohio State assistants and staffers. McMurphy writes that those wives "and a number of Ohio State assistant coaches were aware of Smith's domestic violence issues." Speaking with McMurphy, Courtney said, "All the [coaches] wives knew. They all did. Every single one."
A change in the police report for the domestic violence incident on Oct. 26, 2015. Per the Powell Police report, a box was checked indicating Zach Smith had been arrested. However, in a revised report, the Powell Police that arrest box was no longer checked. The PPD told McMurphy "The terminology used by the Police Department was different in the original report (dated 10/26/2015) and inconsistent with what actually occurred."
Courtney telling McMurphy the following: "Zach once told me, if he ever got fired and this all comes out: 'I'll take everyone at Ohio State down with me.'"
Perhaps the most damning piece of information from McMurphy's report is an exchange between Courtney and Lindsey Voltolini in the weeks following the 2015 incident. Lindsey's husband Brian Voltolini is "considered one of Meyer's most loyal staff members," according to McMurphy.
Courtney: "[Zach's] trying to make me look crazy bc that's what Shelley is saying [he's doing]"
Lindsey: "[Urban] just said [Zach] denied everything"
Courtney: "I hope urban is smarter than that"
Lindsey: "[Urban] doesn't know what to think"
Courtney: "I don't really care. Ya know"
Lindsey: "Yeah, don't worry about urb"
Meyer said he was aware of a domestic violence incident involving Zach in 2009 when the latter was an assistant at Florida. According to documents, Zach had an altercation with Courtney, who was three months pregnant at the time.
Meyer told reporters in Chicago, "As I do any time, and I imagine most coaches or people in leadership positions, when you receive a phone call, first thing you do is tell your boss. Let the experts do their jobs. We're certainly not going to investigate. It came back to me that what was reported wasn't what actually happened. So Shelley and I actually both got involved with the relationship with that family, and provided counseling, and wanted to help them moving forward."
Zach was ultimately not charged in the incident, though per Courtney, two of Meyer's closest friends -- Hiram de Fries, who is Meyer's "life coach", and Earle Bruce, Zach's grandfather – asked her to drop charges of aggravated battery of a pregnant victim.
Smith was fired right before Big Ten Media Days and was replaced on an interim basis by former Buckeyes wideout Brian Hartline. Meyer said the decision was a "tough call" but added that "it was in the best interest of our team." He did not elaborate when asked if the media reports of Smith's past influenced the decision.
"I'm not going to get into that. A decision was made," Meyer said. "The details I'm obligated to give, I gave. The decision was made, it's time to move forward."
One of Meyer's core values is "treat women with respect."
With the latest report from McMurphy coming to light, the focus will now be squarely on Meyer to further explain what he did or did not know about Smith's string of domestic violence issues. As of yet, Ohio State has not commented publicly on the report.

RE: Urban, say it ain’t so! - BearcatJerry - 08-01-2018 12:39 PM

This is rapidly blowing up nationally...

I suppose the only good thing is that, if Urban gets fired--or is forced into resigning--that Fickell will not likely be on the short-list because of the "guilty by association" factor.

RE: Urban, say it ain’t so! - Romell Shorter - 08-01-2018 01:16 PM

Urban is a despicable person.

Outside of Tim Tebow, have you ever heard one of his players say anything positive about him? I've heard a current player say that, basically, everyone on the team hates Meyer.

The Big Ten is certainly getting a nice reputation due to the recent events involving Penn State, Michigan State and OSU, eh? Why are my cable dollars going to this filthy organization?

RE: Urban, say it ain’t so! - Marcus - 08-01-2018 02:27 PM

There is absolutely no way I can see him surviving this. Just heard AJ Hawk on SiriusXM a few minutes ago and even he said Urban should be gone. I do find it kind of funny that ESPN is trying to downplay the story. He's always been their "guy", so of course ESPN trying to protect him is no surprise. Their spin is that EVERYONE close to Urban knew about this, including his wife, but somehow he didn't LOL

RE: Urban, say it ain’t so! - Billy_Bearcat - 08-01-2018 02:31 PM

(08-01-2018 02:27 PM)Marcus Wrote:  There is absolutely no way I can see him surviving this. Just heard AJ Hawk on SiriusXM a few minutes ago and even he said Urban should be gone. I do find it kind of funny that ESPN is trying to downplay the story. He's always been their "guy", so of course ESPN trying to protect him is no surprise. Their spin is that EVERYONE close to Urban knew about this, including his wife, but somehow he didn't LOL

Man and Bone on The Fan 97.1 just called Urb a straight up liar. They aren’t carrying any water. Talking about how the Diapatch still isn’t running the story and the level of boot licking in Columbus media is why Urban thought he could get away with it.

RE: Urban, say it ain’t so! - RealDeal - 08-01-2018 02:38 PM

ESPN watered down their headline to "say some around Meyer knew of case." Pretty tame compared to the transcripts.

Hes done, just a matter of time.

RE: Urban, say it ain’t so! - stpnum4 - 08-01-2018 02:42 PM

(08-01-2018 02:31 PM)Billy_Bearcat Wrote:  
(08-01-2018 02:27 PM)Marcus Wrote:  There is absolutely no way I can see him surviving this. Just heard AJ Hawk on SiriusXM a few minutes ago and even he said Urban should be gone. I do find it kind of funny that ESPN is trying to downplay the story. He's always been their "guy", so of course ESPN trying to protect him is no surprise. Their spin is that EVERYONE close to Urban knew about this, including his wife, but somehow he didn't LOL

Man and Bone on The Fan 97.1 just called Urb a straight up liar. They aren’t carrying any water. Talking about how the Diapatch still isn’t running the story and the level of boot licking in Columbus media is why Urban thought he could get away with it.

The Columbus Dispatch just went live with it. Today would be an interesting day to live in Ohio if you were not an Ohio State football fan.

Urban, say it ain’t so! - crex043 - 08-01-2018 03:10 PM

Is Urban Meyer going to be our Bobby Petrino (minus the motorcycle)?

RE: Urban, say it ain’t so! - UCGrad1992 - 08-01-2018 03:26 PM

Below is a twitter link shared by the Dispatch. I find it not only damning to Urban but also to his wife Shelly. This has a Joe Paterno-like similarity from the perspective of knowing/denial of the incidents and not doing anything about it. If true, I don't know that this will cost Urban his job but certainly a public condemnation from the OSU followed by his apology and donating money to a violence against women organization, etc., etc. A principled leader of young men with integrity does not do this and he should lose his job IMO but we know how that typically works in big time college athletics.

Columbus Dispatch Article

RE: Urban, say it ain’t so! - geef - 08-01-2018 03:34 PM

I'm not among the hate Ohio State at all costs crowd (although I might be if I lived in the state), but this is pretty damning. Ohio State as a university is pretty serious about its image (and, to be clear, image alone should not prevent them from doing what's right). At this point, I would be awfully surprised if Meyer survives.

(08-01-2018 03:26 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  Below is a twitter link shared by the Dispatch. I find it not only damning to Urban but also to his wife Shelly. This has a Joe Paterno-like similarity from the perspective of knowing/denial of the incidents and not doing anything about it. If true, I don't know that this will cost Urban his job but certainly a public condemnation from the OSU followed by his apology and donating money to a violence against women organization, etc., etc. A principled leader of young men with integrity does not do this and he should lose his job IMO but we know how that typically works in big time college athletics.

Columbus Dispatch Article

RE: Urban, say it ain’t so! - SuperFlyBCat - 08-01-2018 03:39 PM

Urb and Shelley knew of course. Zach Smith abused his wife back in 09' at Florida, and Urb/Shelley helped to get Smith into counseling. There was probably some abuse going on a good portion of their marriage and probably lots of people knew.

RE: Urban, say it ain’t so! - Loco Bearcat - 08-01-2018 03:59 PM

Urban Meyers wife Shelly knew about it and so did all the other coaches wives via text messaging according to McMurphy report. That would put Luke Fickell under fire as well. Izzo and Dantonio still have their jobs despite covering up sexual assaults and rapes committed by their players so I can see Urban surviving this. Major College Athletics has always been a cesspool and spare me the outrage because our country cares more about $ than what is right or wrong.

RE: Urban, say it ain’t so! - Cataclysmo - 08-01-2018 04:13 PM

I don't take joy in this. Urban's son is a baseball player at UC and his sister the Vice Provost. He's a UC alum himself and went on record to support our bid for the Big 12. Further, one of his trusted friends and pupils is now our head coach, and his name may yet appear in the story as well.

RE: Urban, say it ain’t so! - UCGrad1992 - 08-01-2018 04:17 PM

(08-01-2018 03:59 PM)Loco Bearcat Wrote:  Urban Meyers wife Shelly knew about it and so did all the other coaches wives via text messaging according to McMurphy report. That would put Luke Fickell under fire as well. Izzo and Dantonio still have their jobs despite covering up sexual assaults and rapes committed by their players so I can see Urban surviving this. Major College Athletics has always been a cesspool and spare me the outrage because our country cares more about $ than what is right or wrong.

I have not read the McMurphy report in its entirety but according to the Dispatch article and twitter link interview I posted above, Courtney Smith did not come forward with the physical abuse until 2015 and she shared that information with Shelly Meyer ONLY. I may be wrong in my interpretation of the alleged actions but it sounded to me that Shelly told Courtney she was going to have to tell Urban about the situation. Whether she did or not or who she shared the info with is all conjecture at this point and we need to let all of the facts come out.

RE: Urban, say it ain’t so! - geef - 08-01-2018 05:51 PM

He's on administrative leave.

RE: Urban, say it ain’t so! - Marcus - 08-01-2018 06:02 PM

(08-01-2018 04:17 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  
(08-01-2018 03:59 PM)Loco Bearcat Wrote:  Urban Meyers wife Shelly knew about it and so did all the other coaches wives via text messaging according to McMurphy report. That would put Luke Fickell under fire as well. Izzo and Dantonio still have their jobs despite covering up sexual assaults and rapes committed by their players so I can see Urban surviving this. Major College Athletics has always been a cesspool and spare me the outrage because our country cares more about $ than what is right or wrong.

I have not read the McMurphy report in its entirety but according to the Dispatch article and twitter link interview I posted above, Courtney Smith did not come forward with the physical abuse until 2015 and she shared that information with Shelly Meyer ONLY. I may be wrong in my interpretation of the alleged actions but it sounded to me that Shelly told Courtney she was going to have to tell Urban about the situation. Whether she did or not or who she shared the info with is all conjecture at this point and we need to let all of the facts come out.

Yawn. Let the coverup commence.

RE: Urban, say it ain’t so! - UCGrad1992 - 08-01-2018 06:32 PM

Meyer on paid leave...

Quote:Ohio State has placed coach Urban Meyer on paid administrative leave while it investigates claims that his wife knew about allegations of abuse against an assistant coach years before he was fired last week.

Courtney Smith gave an interview to Stadium and provided text messages to former ESPN reporter Brett McMurphy between herself and Shelley Meyer and with the wives of other Buckeyes coaches. Smith also provided threatening texts she claims came from her ex-husband.

Los Angeles Times

RE: Urban, say it ain’t so! - UCGrad1992 - 08-01-2018 06:35 PM

From the Dispatch...

Quote:Urban Meyer has been placed on paid administrative leave as Ohio State investigates the Ohio State football coach’s response to the domestic abuse allegations regarding fired wide receivers coach Zach Smith.

“The university is conducting an investigation into these allegations,” said the statement from OSU released at 6:05 p.m. Wednesday.

Offensive coordinator Ryan Day will serve as acting head coach during the investigation.

″(Athletic director) Gene (Smith) and I agree that being on leave during this inquiry will facilitate its completion,” Meyer said in the OSU statement. “This allows the team to conduct training camp with minimal distraction. I eagerly look forward to the resolution of this matter.”

Ruh-Roh

RE: Urban, say it ain’t so! - JackieTreehorn - 08-01-2018 07:26 PM

[Image: Djiul-uW4AEHKRg.jpg]

RE: Urban, say it ain’t so! - Ahhhorsepoo - 08-02-2018 10:40 AM

Apparently that Project Veritas(the one that did the Planned Parenthood undercover videos) was just about to release a bunch of undercover tapes of OSU players admitting things about the OSU culture on camera too.. this is going to be popcorn and chaos time..