CSNbbs
Spiker extended - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: Drexel (/forum-681.html)
+----- Thread: Spiker extended (/thread-853293.html)

Spiker extended - Spearsie - 07-13-2018 07:31 AM

http://drexeldragons.com/news/2018/7/12/mens-basketball-drexel-agrees-to-multi-year-extension-with-head-coach-zach-spiker.aspx

Interesting that this happened - thought the jury was still out on him - guess not.

RE: Spiker extended - dan10 - 07-13-2018 01:48 PM

I figured they were going to wait a year and see how things shook out. Definitely interesting. Personally I think it is a good move, but I completely understand skepticism of it, especially with the issues recruiting we have seen.

RE: Spiker extended - hiroshimacarp - 07-14-2018 07:04 AM

I heard the squash coach is on the hot seat after a 9-11 season. Totally unacceptable at Drexel.

RE: Spiker extended - Dragon For Life - 07-15-2018 02:22 PM

Was his contract coming up? Why did they need to do it now? I guess if he does fail and I hope he doesn't it would put the people involved on the hotseat right?

RE: Spiker extended - J.B. - 07-15-2018 09:12 PM

We still don't know how good or bad he is at recruiting yet. It's still too early to tell. This year will be the first with basically all of his own players. Nobody stands out yet as a star, but you never know.

I think this extension could also really help recruiting. When players commit to a program, I'm sure there are many out there that would like to have the confidence that their coach is going to be there for 4 years. That confidence wasn't there with Bruiser in the last couple of years, and may have hurt him toward the end.

RE: Spiker extended - dan10 - 07-16-2018 09:34 AM

Agree JB. That is why personally I think it is a smart move despite not having proven himself completely. I think he has done other positives for the program, but ultimately we need to start getting players and keeping those players. It does stink it has taken 3 years to get a full class, so hopefully nobody bails and keeps the cycle going.

RE: Spiker extended - Dragon For Life - 07-17-2018 06:29 PM

I ultimately think he is a "stop gap" coach. He seems to be bringing respectability back from disaster but, I think we will need another coach to bring us to being a contender.

RE: Spiker extended - hiroshimacarp - 07-18-2018 06:48 PM

i want coach spiker to succeed so overall i think it's probably a good move. if we had more of a roster coming back this year i'd call it a great move. i almost feel like we're starting over. that shouldn't be the case 3 years in.

it does show...again...where our standards are. do i expect a guy to be on the hot seat this year? no...that's power 5 conference stuff with fans who care. our athletic department doesn't even have to disclose the terms. i would have at least waited until after this season to make sure the bottom doesn't fall out.

as far as this helping recruiting...it probably doesn't hurt unless we have a guy who can't land big recruits to begin with...or develop the guys he brings in. then we have a big problem. the final nail in bruiser's coffin...outside of running 1 defense, no offense, etc....was all the injuries. larry fedora at unc said some odd stuff about football being under attack...but also said he made some major changes to his strength and conditioning program after they had a ton of injuries last year. he wanted kids to know he was trying to keep them healthy. if that happened in our program i'm not aware of it and injuries continue to be an issue.

RE: Spiker extended - fredsavage - 07-19-2018 08:51 AM

hopefully the extended contract will help offset the 1500 empty seats recruits see on their visits!