CSNbbs
Article on how Dems and Reps view each other... - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: Article on how Dems and Reps view each other... (/thread-852461.html)

Article on how Dems and Reps view each other... - Chappy - 06-27-2018 12:28 PM

Pretty interesting read...

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/democrats-are-wrong-about-republicans-republicans-are-wrong-about-democrats/

Quote:...“The danger of mega-partisan identity is that it encourages citizens to care more about partisan victory than about real policy outcomes,” Mason told me. “We find ways to justify almost any governmental policy as long as it is the policy of our own team. What is best for America, Americans or even small children is secondary to whether our party’s team gets what it demanded.”

So we are in a situation where Americans have sorted themselves into two parties along not just ideological lines, but also by geographical, religious, racial and other social and cultural differences. At the same time, they’ve adopted inaccurate, caricatured views of both parties that overstate these already sizable demographic differences. And they’ve started taking positions on issues based on whatever stance their party adopts...

RE: Article on how Dems and Reps view each other... - Gakusei - 06-27-2018 12:47 PM

To me, this is the best quote of the article:

Quote:“The danger of mega-partisan identity is that it encourages citizens to care more about partisan victory than about real policy outcomes,” Mason told me. “We find ways to justify almost any governmental policy as long as it is the policy of our own team. What is best for America, Americans or even small children is secondary to whether our party’s team gets what it demanded.”

RE: Article on how Dems and Reps view each other... - nomad2u2001 - 06-27-2018 05:09 PM

This has the potential to be a good conversation.

The quote above is the reason I think Americans today would tolerate a totalitarian leader if it meant that they could feel that they won something.

It's also the reason that we won't get a healthcare solution and the VA will stay in shambles.