CSNbbs
Brett Mcmurphy on Jonesboro Radio - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: Brett Mcmurphy on Jonesboro Radio (/thread-851796.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Brett Mcmurphy on Jonesboro Radio - ChattValleyTrojan - 06-17-2018 02:21 PM

(06-17-2018 07:13 AM)JTApps1 Wrote:  
(06-16-2018 10:39 AM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  Would be great to trade the Arizona Bowl and the Camellia Bowl for a bowl in Texas and the Myrtle Beach bowl. I’d like to keep the other three though.

I don't understand why people are so eager to drop the Camellia Bowl. The city really supports the game, and while it isn't full of entertainment options there is enough to do for a weekend trip. I've noticed most of the fans saying we should drop it have never been there so maybe y'all would feel different if your team plays there.
I agree with you. I had free tickets to the with Camellia Bowl and it was a great time other than freezing cold and not having a team in the fight. More than half the people had no clue we were playing UNT that weekend in NOLA last year. Plus the noon or so kick was awful. The later kick they are suppose to have this year maybe better. But as of now NOLA is my least favorite.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

RE: Brett Mcmurphy on Jonesboro Radio - EigenEagle - 06-17-2018 02:33 PM

The locations are fine. Montgomery is certainly not an overly-great city to visit but I think having great tourist locations is overrated, honestly. I care more about the tie-ins for the bowl games.

RE: Brett Mcmurphy on Jonesboro Radio - HighlandsApp - 06-18-2018 10:59 AM

The two Alabama bowls are in the perfect location for just about all of us.

The MB will be fun and is in a good location for a short vacation.

As far as Cure Bowl, who doesn't want to go to Florida in December?

Lala, ULM, AState and TxSt like NO.

RE: Brett Mcmurphy on Jonesboro Radio - RamblinRedWolf - 06-18-2018 11:14 AM

(06-17-2018 02:21 PM)ChattValleyTrojan Wrote:  
(06-17-2018 07:13 AM)JTApps1 Wrote:  
(06-16-2018 10:39 AM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  Would be great to trade the Arizona Bowl and the Camellia Bowl for a bowl in Texas and the Myrtle Beach bowl. I’d like to keep the other three though.

I don't understand why people are so eager to drop the Camellia Bowl. The city really supports the game, and while it isn't full of entertainment options there is enough to do for a weekend trip. I've noticed most of the fans saying we should drop it have never been there so maybe y'all would feel different if your team plays there.
I agree with you. I had free tickets to the with Camellia Bowl and it was a great time other than freezing cold and not having a team in the fight. More than half the people had no clue we were playing UNT that weekend in NOLA last year. Plus the noon or so kick was awful. The later kick they are suppose to have this year maybe better. But as of now NOLA is my least favorite.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I get why it’s important to have a presence in the home city of the league offices (and the shared history we have with the NO Bowl) but it was disheartening how the game is absolutely lost the grand shuffle that is the crescent city. On the flip side, it’s absolutely awesome how mobile and the locals embrace their bowl game (and from what I heard Montgomery is on the same or near level).

I don’t mind the establishment of bowl in MB but feel the tie ins are really eastern heavy (i wouldn’t mind seeing a trade with cure for bowl game say in Texas to at least somewhat balance out the bowl geographic footprint)

RE: Brett Mcmurphy on Jonesboro Radio - KJ Eagle - 06-18-2018 12:26 PM

I'd much rather a win over a 6-6 P5 school than a 9-3 G5 school. Five years from now, no one will remember the record of the P5 team you beat. But you will have potentially beaten a much more recognizable "name" than a "Toledo" or "Miami of Ohio", etc.

UF was down the year that we beat them, but we still have a win over an SEC team. Very few even mention their record when the game is mentioned on TV or in print. I'd take that over Toledo any day!

RE: Brett Mcmurphy on Jonesboro Radio - Saint3333 - 06-18-2018 02:26 PM

Florida was a four win team...

RE: Brett Mcmurphy on Jonesboro Radio - TrueBlueDrew - 06-18-2018 02:36 PM

(06-18-2018 02:26 PM)Saint3333 Wrote:  Florida was a four win team...

Literally his point...

RE: Brett Mcmurphy on Jonesboro Radio - APPdiesel - 06-18-2018 05:34 PM

(06-16-2018 12:07 PM)Hemi Man Wrote:  Beating a 6 or 7 win P5 school, that likely has a losing record in their conference, does nothing for Troy. P5 denfenders will tell you those team were uninterested anyway. At least beating a good USM or FAU would get you respect as a G5. The only bowl game you can win that will get you national recognition is the handpicked BS playoff.

Do you not think beating (almosy) any P5 is good for your school's resume? In 10 years nobody will remember you beat a 7 win NC State, but it's on your resume that you beat a P5 opponent in a bowl game. Do it and it's on your wikipedia and recruiting materials that you have 3 wins over P5 opponents in the last 10 years.

Of course, it would be a LOT better without auto tie-ins to ensure that you, Troy would get a regional opponent in a regional location but tie-ins being what they are that doesn't happen.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

RE: Brett Mcmurphy on Jonesboro Radio - Hemi Man - 06-18-2018 05:51 PM

(06-18-2018 05:34 PM)APPdiesel Wrote:  
(06-16-2018 12:07 PM)Hemi Man Wrote:  Beating a 6 or 7 win P5 school, that likely has a losing record in their conference, does nothing for Troy. P5 denfenders will tell you those team were uninterested anyway. At least beating a good USM or FAU would get you respect as a G5. The only bowl game you can win that will get you national recognition is the handpicked BS playoff.

Do you not think beating (almosy) any P5 is good for your school's resume? In 10 years nobody will remember you beat a 7 win NC State, but it's on your resume that you beat a P5 opponent in a bowl game. Do it and it's on your wikipedia and recruiting materials that you have 3 wins over P5 opponents in the last 10 years.

Of course, it would be a LOT better without auto tie-ins to ensure that you, Troy would get a regional opponent in a regional location but tie-ins being what they are that doesn't happen.

In the regular season, yes. In a bowl game not necessarily. The P5 defenders will try to play it off as if they weren’t really interested in that bowl game. Then if you were to lose that bowl game to a 6-6 P5 when you’re 10-2 you will perceived as a fluke.

Troy vs FAU last year on a Saturday would have been much better than Troy vs FSU on a Wednesday night in Shreveport.

RE: Brett Mcmurphy on Jonesboro Radio - Saint3333 - 06-18-2018 09:13 PM

(06-18-2018 02:36 PM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  

Literally his point...

Hard to play a four win team in a bowl game.

No one remembers GS beating Florida except GS fans and those that read message boards when GS fans claim it was a quality win.

RE: Brett Mcmurphy on Jonesboro Radio - Florida RedWolf - 06-19-2018 03:46 AM

This thread would have more meaning if I knew: Who is Brett Mcmurphy?

RE: Brett Mcmurphy on Jonesboro Radio - TrueBlueDrew - 06-19-2018 07:25 AM

(06-18-2018 09:13 PM)Saint3333 Wrote:  

Literally his point...

No one remembers GS beating Florida except GS fans and those that read message boards when GS fans claim it was a quality win.

He never said we played them in a bowl?

His point was that beating a 4-8 SEC team got us more press than beating the MAC champs in a bowl game.

He never even implied it was a quality win but please keep on reaching 07-coffee3

RE: Brett Mcmurphy on Jonesboro Radio - NO_QUARTER - 06-19-2018 07:47 AM

(06-19-2018 07:25 AM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  

Literally his point...

His point was that beating a 4-8 SEC team got us more press than beating the MAC champs in a bowl game.

He never even implied it was a quality win but please keep on reaching 07-coffee3

Also, I can promise you, a LOT of people remember that GS beat Florida. Especially UF fans.

RE: Brett Mcmurphy on Jonesboro Radio - 97App - 06-19-2018 07:55 AM

I understand that beating any P5 in a bowl creates more headlines. However, (if we're conference champions or had a really good regular season e.g. our 10-2 2015 season) I'd much rather play against another conference champion or team with a comparable record. If we've simply had a winning season (e.g. our 7-5 2014 season) I'd want to play the larger profile opponent.

RE: Brett Mcmurphy on Jonesboro Radio - Saint3333 - 06-19-2018 07:57 AM

Literally his point...

The topic is which is better beating a 6-6 P5 or 9-3 G5, keep up.

RE: Brett Mcmurphy on Jonesboro Radio - TrueBlueDrew - 06-19-2018 08:25 AM

(06-19-2018 07:57 AM)Saint3333 Wrote:  

Literally his point...

And he began his post with that topic. In fact, he literally started his post by saying “I'd much rather a win over a 6-6 P5 school than a 9-3 G5 school.” Do they not teach reading comprehension on the mountain?

RE: Brett Mcmurphy on Jonesboro Radio - KJ Eagle - 06-19-2018 04:35 PM

(06-19-2018 08:25 AM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  
(06-19-2018 07:57 AM)Saint3333 Wrote:  
(06-18-2018 02:36 PM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  Literally his point...

And he began his post with that topic. In fact, he literally started his post by saying “I'd much rather a win over a 6-6 P5 school than a 9-3 G5 school.” Do they not teach reading comprehension on the mountain?

I should put you on retainer TBD!

Yeah, my initial post said I'd rather beat a 6-6 P5 than a 9-3 G5. I used our win against UF as an example of that reasoning. When our win against UF is mentioned on TV during our games, they never say "yeah, but that was a crappy UF team that year". We get more press from the UF win than we do from our Go Daddy Bowl win against Bowling Green.

RE: Brett Mcmurphy on Jonesboro Radio - chiefsfan - 06-19-2018 04:41 PM

Our win over A&M remains the only win in our modern history over a P5 team, but I still don't consider it that much of a win. A&M was awful that season, and we didn't even make a bowl game.

Sure, its a win, but I put a lot more value over some of our bowl wins in that time frame. At least we knew those were good teams.

RE: Brett Mcmurphy on Jonesboro Radio - T2003 - 06-19-2018 04:45 PM

(06-18-2018 05:51 PM)Hemi Man Wrote:  
(06-18-2018 05:34 PM)APPdiesel Wrote:  

In the regular season, yes. In a bowl game not necessarily. The P5 defenders will try to play it off as if they weren’t really interested in that bowl game. Then if you were to lose that bowl game to a 6-6 P5 when you’re 10-2 you will perceived as a fluke.

Troy vs FAU last year on a Saturday would have been much better than Troy vs FSU on a Wednesday night in Shreveport.

Maybe for some fans but not for most recruits. When you beat a 6-6 P5 team in a bowl game you tell your recruits that a) you beat a P5 team and b) they might get to play a P5 team in a bowl game. No recruit cares about the P5 team's record, its all about brand recognition. If you beat 6-6 Florida State then you keep telling recruits that you beat the Seminoles - you take advantage of this over the next five years or so. Do you think we tell recruits when we beat #25 LSU last year that two of their key players including their star RB didn't even play in the game?

Brett Mcmurphy on Jonesboro Radio - APPdiesel - 06-19-2018 05:03 PM

You don't beat a 6 loss Florida State, you beat their roster loaded with 5*s, their multi million dollar facilities, their boosters, their millions of fans, and their ACC money. You beat the systems and all the resources that say you shouldn't be able to beat them.

I have no recollection of what South Carolina's record was the year App beat them but bet your a** I remind my Gamecock friends that App has beaten them. I'll take that over beating Toledo any day.