CSNbbs
McMurphy: AAC trying to send Champ to Liberty Bowl if not in NY6, in new bowl lineup - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: McMurphy: AAC trying to send Champ to Liberty Bowl if not in NY6, in new bowl lineup (/thread-851554.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

McMurphy: AAC trying to send Champ to Liberty Bowl if not in NY6, in new bowl lineup - BullsFanInTX - 06-11-2018 10:15 AM

Plus other bowl news, such as 3 new bowls will be created in next cycle.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBrettMcMurphy/posts/1962031377154250

* American champ? The American is exploring the idea of having a bowl that annually hosts its conference champion, when it’s not in a New Year’s 6 game. Although the AAC currently does not have a tie-in with the Liberty, the league is intrigued about the possibility of sending its champion to Memphis, sources said. The Liberty is currently affiliated with the SEC and Big 12.

RE: McMurphy: AAC trying to send Champ to Liberty Bowl if not in NY6, in new bowl lineup - Chappy - 06-11-2018 10:33 AM

Everything old is new again. I'd love to be back in the Liberty Bowl.

RE: McMurphy: AAC trying to send Champ to Liberty Bowl if not in NY6, in new bowl lineup - Bull - 06-11-2018 10:40 AM

Well the wheels are starting to turn... Good news, we will soon see where we stand past 2020... both TV dollars and bowls. Should be interesting.

RE: McMurphy: AAC trying to send Champ to Liberty Bowl if not in NY6, in new bowl lineup - HuskyU - 06-11-2018 10:40 AM

43 Bowls in 2020? I thought they were trying to decrease Bowl participation...

RE: McMurphy: AAC trying to send Champ to Liberty Bowl if not in NY6, in new bowl lineup - BullsFanInTX - 06-11-2018 10:41 AM

What I predict will happen is we’ll get a partial tie to Liberty bowl. If we’re in NY6, no liberty. If no NY6, then champ to Liberty. This would also allow the Liberty to keep their big 12 and sec ties if they want to.

RE: McMurphy: AAC trying to send Champ to Liberty Bowl if not in NY6, in new bowl lineup - Attackcoog - 06-11-2018 10:44 AM

You have to that new Big10-ACC game in Chicago will adversely affect our potential future line up. The Vegas Bowl change could as well. I suspect St Pete might be losing their ACC tie (it was only every other year) unless they can get a permanent post Christmas kick off date. The Vegas Bowl will get a nice SEC pick, which means aloot of mid-to-lower tier bowl picks will be mvoing down in the SEC pecking order. I suspect the Indy Bowl, which gets the last pick from the SEC, will be losing its SEC tie completely. That would mean Birmingham would be getting the bottom SEC tie---which has been a hit and miss (mostly miss) proposition for the Indy. Also, the game in Chicago als likley means there will be no Big10 team playing in the Heart of Dallas Bowl anymore---making it a much less attractive option for the AAC.

However, it could work out for us if the Sun Bowl is the bowl dropped by the ACC for Chicago. That might be a place where the ACC can pick up a game vs a P5 and it would also preserve the ACC-AAC game in St Pete. That actually makes alot of sense for the ACC as St Pete is a better destination and much cheaper to travel to than El Paseo.

RE: McMurphy: AAC trying to send Champ to Liberty Bowl if not in NY6, in new bowl lineup - BullsFanInTX - 06-11-2018 10:47 AM

(06-11-2018 10:44 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  You have to that new Big10-ACC game in Chicago will adversely affect our potential future line up. The Vegas Bowl change could as well. I suspect St Pete might be losing their ACC tie (it was only every other year) unless they can get a permanent post Christmas kick off date. The Vegas Bowl will get a nice SEC pick, which means aloot of mid-to-lower tier bowl picks will be mvoing down in the SEC pecking order. I suspect the Indy Bowl, which gets the last pick from the SEC, will be losing its SEC tie completely. That would mean Birmingham would be getting the bottom SEC tie---which has been a hit and miss (mostly miss) proposition for the Indy. Also, the game in Chicago als likley means there will be no Big10 team playing in the Heart of Dallas Bowl anymore---making it a much less attractive option for the AAC.

However, it could work out for us if the Sun Bowl is the bowl dropped by the ACC. That might be a place where the ACC can pick up a game vs a P5.

I take it the exact opposite way. This will actually OPEN up new slots in other bowls as these conferences vacate other bowls.

RE: McMurphy: AAC trying to send Champ to Liberty Bowl if not in NY6, in new bowl lineup - BullsFanInTX - 06-11-2018 10:48 AM

(06-11-2018 10:40 AM)HuskyU Wrote:  43 Bowls in 2020? I thought they were trying to decrease Bowl participation...

Who ever said this. Not the NCAA or the bowls.

RE: McMurphy: AAC trying to send Champ to Liberty Bowl if not in NY6, in new bowl lineup - pesik - 06-11-2018 10:52 AM

there is alot of information packed in there beyond the liberty bowl

lotsof open bowls with yet to be deiced partners like San Francisco Bowl vs the pac 12
the pac12 also wants to create another bowl in tempe arizona....isnt decided yet no no partners yet

the big 10 is ending its contract with the Chicago bowl, the acc likely to remian

sunbelt might leave the cure bowl (but we dont care)

if we can secure Birmingham/military again next cycle (sec/acc), get the liberty bowl (sec or big 12) get 2 of the pac 12/acc open bowls.. id be 100% content with our bowl line up... that would be 5 p5 bowl line ups .. and the ny6...2 g5 (and f you arent top 6 in the aac you should just be glad you are in a bowl regardless of opponent)

RE: McMurphy: AAC trying to send Champ to Liberty Bowl if not in NY6, in new bowl lineup - Attackcoog - 06-11-2018 10:52 AM

(06-11-2018 10:41 AM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  What I predict will happen is we’ll get a partial tie to Liberty bowl. If we’re in NY6, no liberty. If no NY6, then champ to Liberty. This would also allow the Liberty to keep their big 12 and sec ties if they want to.

I think we will end up in a pool with the Liberty, Texas, and one more (maybe Belk or Music City) shared with the SEC, ACC, Big10, and Big12. That way no single bowl or P5 conference is committing to play us every year and no bowl is committing to take out champ every year. This works best for a spread out conference like the AAC. If you have a champ form Texas---the Texas Bowl would probably do well with them. If Memphis or Cincy wins---the Liberty grabs them that year---UCF or Temple, then the Belk makes more sense. A pool just works better for all parties involved.

RE: McMurphy: AAC trying to send Champ to Liberty Bowl if not in NY6, in new bowl lineup - HuskyU - 06-11-2018 10:57 AM

(06-11-2018 10:48 AM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  
(06-11-2018 10:40 AM)HuskyU Wrote:  43 Bowls in 2020? I thought they were trying to decrease Bowl participation...

Who ever said this. Not the NCAA or the bowls.

At least a few Cartel Commissioners.

RE: McMurphy: AAC trying to send Champ to Liberty Bowl if not in NY6, in new bowl lineup - Attackcoog - 06-11-2018 10:57 AM

(06-11-2018 10:47 AM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  
(06-11-2018 10:44 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  You have to that new Big10-ACC game in Chicago will adversely affect our potential future line up. The Vegas Bowl change could as well. I suspect St Pete might be losing their ACC tie (it was only every other year) unless they can get a permanent post Christmas kick off date. The Vegas Bowl will get a nice SEC pick, which means aloot of mid-to-lower tier bowl picks will be mvoing down in the SEC pecking order. I suspect the Indy Bowl, which gets the last pick from the SEC, will be losing its SEC tie completely. That would mean Birmingham would be getting the bottom SEC tie---which has been a hit and miss (mostly miss) proposition for the Indy. Also, the game in Chicago als likley means there will be no Big10 team playing in the Heart of Dallas Bowl anymore---making it a much less attractive option for the AAC.

However, it could work out for us if the Sun Bowl is the bowl dropped by the ACC. That might be a place where the ACC can pick up a game vs a P5.

I take it the exact opposite way. This will actually OPEN up new slots in other bowls as these conferences vacate other bowls.

Possibly. But there is a bowl hierarchy within each P5 which causes a trickle down effect. The P5 vs G5 bowls are usually filled by the lowest bowl qualified teams from the P5. If they add another P5 vs P5 game---the trickle down affect means those bottom P5-vs G5 games are the most likely to lose their P5 tie. So, a new Chicago Big10 vs ACC game means those teams are coming from somewhere---likely St Pete or the Indy (for the ACC) and the Heart of Dallas for the Big10.

That said, like realignment, movement creates opportunity. Hopefully we can use our flexibility and overlapping footprint to pick up some AAC vs P5 bowl games. We will also want our lower end bowl games to be strategically distributed equally throughout the FOOTPRINT---driveable from as many schools as possible---and located in fun destination cities. No Bahamas or Hawaii. It would be nice to get some post Christmas opportunities--preferably against P5's....

RE: McMurphy: AAC trying to send Champ to Liberty Bowl if not in NY6, in new bowl lineup - TripleA - 06-11-2018 11:12 AM

I want the Liberty to give our AAC champ a regular spot, just so we can find Quo and point it out to him. 03-lmfao

RE: McMurphy: AAC trying to send Champ to Liberty Bowl - Square Knight - 06-11-2018 11:44 AM

McMurphy still trying to throw the G5 under the bus...

"What makes sense (so it will never happen): What if the Group of 5 designated that the four Group of 5 conference champions that didn’t advance to the New Year’s 6 bowl meet annually in two bowls each year? They could be paired based on highest rankings (1 vs. 2, 3 vs. 4 or 1 vs. 4, 2 vs. 3) or geography."

I get so tired of the media mouthpieces trying to INCREASE the artificially created divide.
[Image: dREpBun.png]

RE: McMurphy: AAC trying to send Champ to Liberty Bowl if not in NY6, in new bowl lineup - KnightNasty - 06-11-2018 11:44 AM

You guys are missing this part....

Quote:What makes sense (so it will never happen): What if the Group of 5 designated that the four Group of 5 conference champions that didn’t advance to the New Year’s 6 bowl meet annually in two bowls each year? They could be paired based on highest rankings (1 vs. 2, 3 vs. 4 or 1 vs. 4, 2 vs. 3) or geography.

They could involve current bowls that host Group of 5 games such as New Orleans, Gasparilla (Tampa), Mobile, Frisco or Arizona. It would guarantee those two bowls always featured two conference champions.​

The continued push to have the P5 no longer play G5 in bowl games and cast the G5 out of the FBS. In the responses, someone asked:

Carnot W Evans: "So your suggestion is to ostensibly get rid of any G5 vs P5 bowls, except the NY6 spot and maybe the Liberty?"

McMurphy: "Not suggesting G5 can't play P5. But if P5 has its way, they won't ever play G5 in any bowls. I guess what G5 can decide is outside of NY6 bowl, would it rather play another G5 champion or the 7th-8th place team from a P5"

RE: McMurphy: AAC trying to send Champ to Liberty Bowl if not in NY6, in new bowl lineup - Tiger1983 - 06-11-2018 11:48 AM

I hope the Liberty Bowl option - if it comes to pass - is rarely exercised.

RE: McMurphy: AAC trying to send Champ to Liberty Bowl if not in NY6, in new bowl lineup - GrayBeard - 06-11-2018 11:50 AM

(06-11-2018 10:33 AM)Chappy Wrote:  Everything old is new again. I'd love to be back in the Liberty Bowl.

I'd love to be in a bowl game again.

RE: McMurphy: AAC trying to send Champ to Liberty Bowl if not in NY6, in new bowl lineup - HuskyU - 06-11-2018 11:56 AM

(06-11-2018 11:50 AM)GrayBeard Wrote:  
(06-11-2018 10:33 AM)Chappy Wrote:  Everything old is new again. I'd love to be back in the Liberty Bowl.

What's a bowl game?

RE: McMurphy: AAC trying to send Champ to Liberty Bowl if not in NY6, in new bowl lineup - geef - 06-11-2018 12:01 PM

(06-11-2018 11:56 AM)HuskyU Wrote:  

What's a bowl game?

Football's equivalent of the College World Series.

RE: McMurphy: AAC trying to send Champ to Liberty Bowl if not in NY6, in new bowl lineup - GrayBeard - 06-11-2018 12:01 PM

(06-11-2018 12:01 PM)geef Wrote:  
(06-11-2018 11:56 AM)HuskyU Wrote:  

What's a bowl game?

Football's equivalent of the College World Series.

What's that?