CSNbbs
McMurphy: NCAA will permit 43 bowl games in 2020 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: McMurphy: NCAA will permit 43 bowl games in 2020 (/thread-851552.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

McMurphy: NCAA will permit 43 bowl games in 2020 - Wedge - 06-11-2018 09:56 AM

Yikes. Obviously no one will need to worry about not having enough room for their 6-6 teams.

The NCAA committee is also recommending bowl quotas for each conference, as previously rumored, but the quotas are so generous that most conferences will be permitted more bowl ties than they now have.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBrettMcMurphy/posts/1962031377154250
Quote:Based on recommendations by the NCAA’s Competition Committee, there are expected to be three new bowl games added for the 2020 season, sources said.

In 2020, a record 43 bowls (including the College Football Playoff title game) would be held, meaning a record 65 percent of the 130 FBS schools (84 teams) will play in a bowl game.

RE: McMurphy: NCAA will permit 43 bowl games in 2020 - Big Frog II - 06-11-2018 10:08 AM

No wonder so many of them are played before thousands of empty seats, but as long as someone is willing to televise them.

RE: McMurphy: NCAA will permit 43 bowl games in 2020 - Kittonhead - 06-11-2018 10:11 AM

Great article. There is a lot to ponder.

Nothing though on the Holiday Bowl and what becomes of it.

RE: McMurphy: NCAA will permit 43 bowl games in 2020 - JRsec - 06-11-2018 10:19 AM

Well there is no easier way to bring about the demise of bowls than to have so many of them that they are essentially meaningless.

McMurphy: NCAA will permit 43 bowl games in 2020 - Jjoey52 - 06-11-2018 10:29 AM

I like the idea of the 4 G5 champions not in the Big Bowl, meeting in 2 of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RE: McMurphy: NCAA will permit 43 bowl games in 2020 - arkstfan - 06-11-2018 10:36 AM

The only way the Sun Belt is giving up the Camellia or Dollar General is if the bowls refuse to renew or someone else in the footprint makes a great offer.

New Orleans, Mobile, Montgomery, Orlando, Myrtle Beach would be great mix for the Sun Belt. Orlando would be the only game not in a state with a Sun Belt team.

Arizona is most likely dropped by the Sun Belt unless something happens to really sweeten the deal.

RE: McMurphy: NCAA will permit 43 bowl games in 2020 - Kittonhead - 06-11-2018 10:37 AM

Does BYU and Army being counted as a full bowl tie in solve some of the MWCs problems?

They can reopen the Poinsettia Bowl and/or Foster Farms with these teams.

RE: McMurphy: NCAA will permit 43 bowl games in 2020 - Bull - 06-11-2018 10:38 AM

I always want more CFB, not less... and I love having games all throughout the holidays.

If you guys who feel there are 'too many' bowls pretend they are just a 13th game to the regular season, do they become more palatable? That's basically what they are... small 2 team tournaments.

So what's the big deal?

RE: McMurphy: NCAA will permit 43 bowl games in 2020 - CliftonAve - 06-11-2018 10:49 AM

(06-11-2018 10:38 AM)Bull Wrote:  I always want more CFB, not less... and I love having games all throughout the holidays.

If you guys who feel there are 'too many' bowls pretend they are just a 13th game to the regular season, do they become more palatable? That's basically what they are... small 2 team tournaments.

So what's the big deal?

This. Every game with the exception of the CFP and maybe 1-2 other bowls that still have some "prestige" (and even these aren't as prestigious as they used to be) the rest are all just post-season exhibition games.

RE: McMurphy: NCAA will permit 43 bowl games in 2020 - Auburn_Blazer - 06-11-2018 10:51 AM

(06-11-2018 10:38 AM)Bull Wrote:  I always want more CFB, not less... and I love having games all throughout the holidays.

So what's the big deal?

I agree with this. Bowl season, regardless of the bowl, is one of my favorite times of year.

RE: McMurphy: NCAA will permit 43 bowl games in 2020 - quo vadis - 06-11-2018 11:03 AM

So what's the big deal?

Couldn't have said it better. 04-cheers

RE: McMurphy: NCAA will permit 43 bowl games in 2020 - Attackcoog - 06-11-2018 11:09 AM

(06-11-2018 10:19 AM)JRsec Wrote:  Well there is no easier way to bring about the demise of bowls than to have so many of them that they are essentially meaningless.

lol...too late. 04-cheers

But, I like bowl games---so Im always fine with more college football.

RE: McMurphy: NCAA will permit 43 bowl games in 2020 - arkstfan - 06-11-2018 11:17 AM

I think the NCAA is compounding the issue by making two tie-ins integral to the process.

What they should have done. Switch from a two tie system to a license system. Instead of needing two tie-ins, a game needs one license.

Take the four year average from a conference. Divide by 2 then round down to the next whole number. Bowl just needs one license and then can contract the other side to anyone they like. If someone wants to a license from the AAC and the AAC gives the right to use that license and they want to contract SEC #14 then caveat emptor.

RE: McMurphy: NCAA will permit 43 bowl games in 2020 - Kittonhead - 06-11-2018 11:31 AM

Think about what to do with the G5 champs.

AAC: Looks as if it's going to the Liberty. They could replace the SEC there if the SEC is headed to Las Vegas.

MWC: Losing Vegas. Will it get Foster Farms or will that go to BYU?

SBC: Could they bump up the Cure Bowl to a last place P5 tie-in?

CUSA: ACC looks to be out of Independence Bowl with them starting up a new game in Chicago. Might be an opportunity to snag a mid tier bowl for its champ.

MAC: They should look at partnering up with the MWC and CUSA for bowls. Maybe let CUSA have Mobile if they will go champ vs. champ in the Independence Bowl.

RE: McMurphy: NCAA will permit 43 bowl games in 2020 - Gamecock - 06-11-2018 11:33 AM

That Myrtle Beach bowl will do well. I imagine that will attract some regular community support

RE: McMurphy: NCAA will permit 43 bowl games in 2020 - ken d - 06-11-2018 11:44 AM

Is this a tacit admission by the NCAA that the world didn't come to an end by allowing 5-7 teams to play in a bowl? Unless there are more FBS moveups, having teams with losing records will be the norm, not the exception. Very few years will see 84 teams with six qualifying wins.

RE: McMurphy: NCAA will permit 43 bowl games in 2020 - quo vadis - 06-11-2018 11:44 AM

(06-11-2018 11:09 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(06-11-2018 10:19 AM)JRsec Wrote:  Well there is no easier way to bring about the demise of bowls than to have so many of them that they are essentially meaningless.

lol...too late. 04-cheers

But, I like bowl games---so Im always fine with more college football.

Yes, the college football season is so short i can't fathom a fan of the sport wanting *less* of it.

That's true even if you play late in bowl season. E.g., LSU played on January 1st this year in the Citrus Bowl. In the write up after the game, the reporter quoted the LSU coach as saying it was time to get ready for next season, to which the reporter said something like "It will be awhile, as LSU's next game is 8 months from this Tuesday, vs Miami". Eight months!

And if you miss out on a bowl entirely, your season typically ends around Thanksgiving, which means about 9 1/3 months off before your fans can see you play again.

Basically, the true college football season is just 3 months long, September, October, and November. After that, if you're lucky you get one more game to play, a bowl.

Given the shortness of the CF season, I want to see as MUCH college football as i can, even if that means lots of 6-6 vs 6-6 matchups in tiny bowl games.

RE: McMurphy: NCAA will permit 43 bowl games in 2020 - quo vadis - 06-11-2018 11:48 AM

(06-11-2018 11:31 AM)Kittonhead Wrote:  Think about what to do with the G5 champs.

AAC: Looks as if it's going to the Liberty. They could replace the SEC there if the SEC is headed to Las Vegas.

If the SEC goes to Las Vegas, that will be interesting. I can't remember the last time the SEC had a bowl game outside the footprint of the confederacy.

RE: McMurphy: NCAA will permit 43 bowl games in 2020 - BePcr07 - 06-11-2018 12:03 PM

I always want more college football but I am not a proponent of the "everyone gets a trophy" mentality that more bowl games seems to include. That being said, I would personally prefer that the bowl games are ranked in prestige (i.e. bowls with higher seeded schools are ranked higher) and those are played later. Bowls with lower prestige are played earlier. That would build the excitement as the bowl season progresses. The idea that the Arizona Bowl played on the same day as the Cotton Bowl last season is bothersome.

RE: McMurphy: NCAA will permit 43 bowl games in 2020 - quo vadis - 06-11-2018 12:12 PM

(06-11-2018 12:03 PM)BePcr07 Wrote:  I always want more college football but I am not a proponent of the "everyone gets a trophy" mentality that more bowl games seems to include. That being said, I would personally prefer that the bowl games are ranked in prestige (i.e. bowls with higher seeded schools are ranked higher) and those are played later. Bowls with lower prestige are played earlier. That would build the excitement as the bowl season progresses. The idea that the Arizona Bowl played on the same day as the Cotton Bowl last season is bothersome.

Well isn't that how it already pretty much is? The bottom-feeder bowls start around December 20th, and the NY6 and playoff bowls on January 1st and after?

Sure, there are some weird exceptions like the one you give, but I think everyone recognizes a pretty strong pattern of the bowl season progressing from least to most prestigious.