CSNbbs
Times Higher Education ranks UAB No. 1 young U.S. university, top 10 worldwide - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: UAB (/forum-448.html)
+------ Forum: UAB Blazers (/forum-384.html)
+------- Forum: The Gene Bartow Memorial Forum (/forum-388.html)
+------- Thread: Times Higher Education ranks UAB No. 1 young U.S. university, top 10 worldwide (/thread-851282.html)

Times Higher Education ranks UAB No. 1 young U.S. university, top 10 worldwide - WesternBlazer - 06-06-2018 11:05 AM

http://www.uab.edu/news/campus/item/9517-times-higher-education-ranks-uab-no-1-young-u-s-university-top-10-worldwide

RE: Times Higher Education ranks UAB No. 1 young U.S. university, top 10 worldwide - jaymay2525 - 06-06-2018 09:13 PM

That's awesome. Bama was #1...oh wait, you said Times Higher....i thought you meant the Higher Times ranking. The Chris Robinson Brotherhood were on the cover

RE: Times Higher Education ranks UAB No. 1 young U.S. university, top 10 worldwide - BAMANBLAZERFAN - 06-07-2018 04:29 PM

What concerns me about the information in the article is that UAB is 23rd - top 4% and 8th- top 2% in funding from the National Institute of Health -- that is a major portion of federal funding which was reported to make up over 80% of UAB's annual funding.

Projections are saying that Alabama will be the only southern sunbelt state to lose a seat in Congress in the 2020 census dropping it from 7 to 6 while other regional states maintain their number or increase their seats (Texas is projected to increase by 3). How well will UAB be able to maintain its high level of federal funding with such growing competition for federal funds? The state can't make up any lost funds since its SETF for 2019 it is still $200 million short of 2007 levels and the AAA is taking about $200 million away annually from what's left to subsidize private schools.

RE: Times Higher Education ranks UAB No. 1 young U.S. university, top 10 worldwide - the_blazerman - 06-08-2018 08:17 PM

I was wondering the same thing.

No actually I was wondering how worthless this ranking could be.

Yippee, we're #1. Now what exactly does this mean for the university?

RE: Times Higher Education ranks UAB No. 1 young U.S. university, top 10 worldwide - BAMANBLAZERFAN - 06-08-2018 11:17 PM

(06-08-2018 08:17 PM)the_blazerman Wrote:  I was wondering the same thing.

No actually I was wondering how worthless this ranking could be.

Yippee, we're #1. Now what exactly does this mean for the university?

Just like with any other ranking (internationally, nationally, regionally or locally) that is published nationally, you never know who might look at it and be impressed and make a decision accordingly that will benefit your programs. It just could be that some foundation may be looking for a good place to put their money for research.

RE: Times Higher Education ranks UAB No. 1 young U.S. university, top 10 worldwide - WesternBlazer - 06-09-2018 08:49 AM

In related news (from postings)

UAB awarded $1.45 million National Science Foundation grant
http://www.cbs42.com/news/local/uab-awarded-145-million-national-science-foundation-grant/1227263480?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_CBS_42

RE: Times Higher Education ranks UAB No. 1 young U.S. university, top 10 worldwide - the_blazerman - 06-09-2018 02:18 PM

Also, Dick Shelby awards $6 million to our sister school to help with some bridge over there, etc.