CSNbbs
"T-shirt fans" in Europe - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: "T-shirt fans" in Europe (/thread-851227.html)

Pages: 1 2

"T-shirt fans" in Europe - Captain Bearcat - 06-05-2018 03:29 PM

There's been a fair amount of talk around here about "T-shirt fans" that dominate certain regions.

I was in Strasbourg this weekend, on the French-German border and de facto 3rd capital of the EU. You'd think that with the World Cup coming up, people would be wearing their country's soccer jerseys. But instead, the #1 sports t-shirt I saw, by far, was..... the New York Yankees.

I know this is silly, but it's the offseason...

RE: "T-shirt fans" in Europe - NIU007 - 06-05-2018 03:30 PM

It was probably other people from the US wearing them.

RE: "T-shirt fans" in Europe - billybobby777 - 06-05-2018 03:38 PM

You mean they don't know SEC SEC in Europe yet? I was told on here that was a thing in Mexico already...

RE: "T-shirt fans" in Europe - JHS55 - 06-05-2018 03:46 PM

Well they should have been ware’n Astro’s stuff, remember last year?, dang

RE: "T-shirt fans" in Europe - IWokeUpLikeThis - 06-05-2018 04:05 PM

People are so easily hoodwinked by media it really is incredible.

RE: "T-shirt fans" in Europe - Captain Bearcat - 06-05-2018 04:06 PM

(06-05-2018 03:30 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  It was probably other people from the US wearing them.

Definitely not.

Besides, I didn't see any other US teams represented. The odds of the only Americans there all being Yankees fans are astronomical. Even among baseball fans, probably less than 15% are Yankees fans. And most of them tend to be born-and-bred New Yorkers, which is a group that is well known for not traveling as widely as other Americans.

RE: "T-shirt fans" in Europe - RutgersGuy - 06-05-2018 04:39 PM

(06-05-2018 04:06 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  
(06-05-2018 03:30 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  It was probably other people from the US wearing them.

Definitely not.

Besides, I didn't see any other US teams represented. The odds of the only Americans there all being Yankees fans are astronomical. Even among baseball fans, probably less than 15% are Yankees fans. And most of them tend to be born-and-bred New Yorkers, which is a group that is well known for not traveling as widely as other Americans.

Where do you get the idea that people from the tri-state area aren't known for traveling as widely as other americans?

RE: "T-shirt fans" in Europe - arkstfan - 06-05-2018 04:50 PM

(06-05-2018 04:39 PM)RutgersGuy Wrote:  

Definitely not.

Where do you get the idea that people from the tri-state area aren't known for traveling as widely as other americans?

That doesn't make a lot of sense. Not a lot of international flights going out of Kansas City and St Louis compared to New York.

RE: "T-shirt fans" in Europe - McKinney - 06-05-2018 05:27 PM

(06-05-2018 04:50 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  

Definitely not.

That doesn't make a lot of sense. Not a lot of international flights going out of Kansas City and St Louis compared to New York.

I no clue if tri-state area people don't travel that much, but could it be... maybe folks don't have as much disposable income for travel since they have some of the cost of living in the country? Or maybe since NYC is a melting pot of soooo many cultures they feel they can get a sufficient taste?

RE: "T-shirt fans" in Europe - Hokie Mark - 06-06-2018 05:09 AM

Definitely not.

Besides, I didn't see any other US teams represented. The odds of the only Americans there all being Yankees fans are astronomical...

I was recently in Spain with my family and saw plenty of US sports jerseys, so I asked a few people if they were fans of the teams... the ones I spoke with didn't even know the teams, they just liked how the clothes look.

Not scientific, but I'm guessing not unusual either.

RE: "T-shirt fans" in Europe - RobtheAggie - 06-06-2018 06:30 AM

Some more anecdotal evidence, the Yankees have been the MLB team that I have seen the most of in Europe. Most of the time it is simply because some famous person wore the hat/jersey etc that they like it. Very few of the people that I have seen and talked to actually like baseball. I sort of liken it to when someone wears an All Blacks rugby jersey. Most do not really like Rugby, but know they are a famous team and they look good. Or about 20 years ago when someone would wear a Man U jersey.

RE: "T-shirt fans" in Europe - Huskypride - 06-06-2018 08:47 AM

(06-05-2018 03:29 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  There's been a fair amount of talk around here about "T-shirt fans" that dominate certain regions.

I was in Strasbourg this weekend, on the French-German border and de facto 3rd capital of the EU. You'd think that with the World Cup coming up, people would be wearing their country's soccer jerseys. But instead, the #1 sports t-shirt I saw, by far, was..... the New York Yankees.

I know this is silly, but it's the offseason...

Yeah go Yankees!!!!! nah but im honestly surprised that its not GSW jerseys

RE: "T-shirt fans" in Europe - Frank the Tank - 06-06-2018 10:28 AM

I distinctly remember seeing Yankees caps being sold randomly in a chocolate shop in Switzerland several years ago. That was it - everything else was Swiss except for the Yankees caps.

Part of it is that Europeans idealize New York in a way that Americans idealize, say, Paris. People that have never been to Paris still buy prints with the Eiffel Tower, shirts that refer to Paris on them, etc. There’s an idealized vision of Paris that a lot of Americans have where it feels like a totally different lifestyle, yet still approachable and accessible. New York has the same sway for a lot of Europeans. The Yankees logo is simply a perfect and well-known symbol for New York and a lot of Europeans and others around the world want to attach themselves to that idealization even if they have no clue about baseball.

RE: "T-shirt fans" in Europe - Hokie Mark - 06-07-2018 02:25 PM

(06-06-2018 10:28 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  I distinctly remember seeing Yankees caps being sold randomly in a chocolate shop in Switzerland several years ago. That was it - everything else was Swiss except for the Yankees caps.

Part of it is that Europeans idealize New York in a way that Americans idealize, say, Paris. People that have never been to Paris still buy prints with the Eiffel Tower, shirts that refer to Paris on them, etc. There’s an idealized vision of Paris that a lot of Americans have where it feels like a totally different lifestyle, yet still approachable and accessible. New York has the same sway for a lot of Europeans. The Yankees logo is simply a perfect and well-known symbol for New York and a lot of Europeans and others around the world want to attach themselves to that idealization even if they have no clue about baseball.

Well, I saw a Spanish person wearing a Michigan Wolverines sweatshirt, so... explain THAT, Frank!
07-coffee3

RE: "T-shirt fans" in Europe - Captain Bearcat - 06-10-2018 04:19 PM

(06-05-2018 05:27 PM)McKinney Wrote:  

Definitely not.

I no clue if tri-state area people don't travel that much, but could it be... maybe folks don't have as much disposable income for travel since they have some of the cost of living in the country? Or maybe since NYC is a melting pot of soooo many cultures they feel they can get a sufficient taste?

Oh come on guys, this is a well-known phenomenon. Some books about regionalism in America go so far as to call northeasterners "provincial" for their relative lack of interest in anything outside their region. The New Yorker magazine even published a famous cover about it back in the 70s:

[Image: Steinberg_New_Yorker_Cover.png]

What percent of New Yorkers have visited Minneapolis, Liverpool, or Dusseldorf? Hint: it's a lot fewer than the percent that visit in the reverse direction.

RE: "T-shirt fans" in Europe - Captain Bearcat - 06-10-2018 04:22 PM

(06-06-2018 10:28 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  I distinctly remember seeing Yankees caps being sold randomly in a chocolate shop in Switzerland several years ago. That was it - everything else was Swiss except for the Yankees caps.

Yes, I'm certain that this is it.

The airport in Reykjavik, Iceland (my transit point on this trip) had a hat rack in one of the high end clothing stores. It had about 50 different Yankees hats, 1 Red Sox hat, and 1 Cleveland Cavs hat.

RE: "T-shirt fans" in Europe - McKinney - 06-10-2018 04:31 PM

(06-10-2018 04:19 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  
(06-05-2018 04:06 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  Definitely not.

Oh come on guys, this is a well-known phenomenon. Some books about regionalism in America go so far as to call northeasterners "provincial" for their relative lack of interest in anything outside their region. The New Yorker magazine even published a famous cover about it back in the 70s:

What percent of New Yorkers have visited Minneapolis, Liverpool, or Dusseldorf? Hint: it's a lot fewer than the percent that visit in the reverse direction.

Surely there's the possibility that has changed. I mean when accounting for inflation it's about half the cost to fly today than it was in the 70s. https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/02/how-airline-ticket-prices-fell-50-in-30-years-and-why-nobody-noticed/273506/

In 1965 8 out of 10 Americans had never been on a plane. Today the inverse is true: only 2 out of 10 Americans have never been on a plane. http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,833812,00.html
https://www.airspacemag.com/daily-planet/how-much-worlds-population-has-flown-airplane-180957719/

RE: "T-shirt fans" in Europe - RobtheAggie - 06-12-2018 09:24 AM

Case in point. This is the highlights from the Swiss - Japan International Friendly a few days ago, look at the big finger.

You will see a NY Yankees hat in Lugano, Switzerland.

RE: "T-shirt fans" in Europe - Frank the Tank - 06-12-2018 09:38 AM

(06-10-2018 04:31 PM)McKinney Wrote:  
(06-10-2018 04:19 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  
(06-05-2018 04:39 PM)RutgersGuy Wrote:  Where do you get the idea that people from the tri-state area aren't known for traveling as widely as other americans?

Surely there's the possibility that has changed. I mean when accounting for inflation it's about half the cost to fly today than it was in the 70s. https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/02/how-airline-ticket-prices-fell-50-in-30-years-and-why-nobody-noticed/273506/

In 1965 8 out of 10 Americans had never been on a plane. Today the inverse is true: only 2 out of 10 Americans have never been on a plane. http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,833812,00.html
https://www.airspacemag.com/daily-planet/how-much-worlds-population-has-flown-airplane-180957719/

To be sure, I don't think New Yorkers are really less traveled than other Americans. If anything, they're actually more likely to have traveled to Europe and other international destinations because of shorter distances and direct flight availability. (Note that it's not much farther to travel from NYC to London compared to NYC to Los Angeles.)

RE: "T-shirt fans" in Europe - RobtheAggie - 06-21-2018 07:09 AM

Another anecdote, I am watching the Denmark - Australia World Cup match right now. After a goal they panned the audience and there was a Danish fan with a NY Yankees hat on with the Danish jersey.