CSNbbs
New Basketball Tournament Format - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: New Basketball Tournament Format (/thread-851156.html)

Pages: 1 2

New Basketball Tournament Format - SENOREIDA - 06-04-2018 03:42 PM

This year will feature 2 play in games (on campus sites) for the final two spots to go to play in New Orleans.

2020+ On campus sites. "Final Four" at the Smoothie King Center in New Orleans

http://sunbeltsports.org/news/2018/6/4/mbball-sun-belt-conference-announces-strategic-mens-basketball-plan.aspx

New Basketball Tournament Format - WolfBird - 06-04-2018 03:47 PM

Good decision

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: New Basketball Tournament Format - panama - 06-04-2018 03:52 PM

Out of Lakefornt FINALLY

RE: New Basketball Tournament Format - arkstfan - 06-04-2018 04:02 PM

If A is 16-0 and B is 13-3 and C is 10-6
If A goes 0-4 in pod to be 16-4 and B goes 2-2 to be 15-5 and C goes 4-0 to be 14-6
C will be 1 seed at 14-6
B will be 2 seed at 15-5 and both go to NOLA locked into the semis
A will be 3 seed at 16-4 and host a quarterfinal game.

RE: New Basketball Tournament Format - arkstfan - 06-04-2018 04:04 PM

Depending on how the pods break down, you could potentially have two teams meet five times. Twice within division, twice within their pod, then again in the conference tournament.

RE: New Basketball Tournament Format - slycat - 06-04-2018 04:58 PM

I like the OOC games as well. Force teams like Texas St to not schedule as much garbage (hopefully).

RE: New Basketball Tournament Format - GaSoEagle - 06-04-2018 05:02 PM

So no pods this year but starting in 2019-20. Really like double byes for 1 and 2 seeds

RE: New Basketball Tournament Format - WinstonTheWolf - 06-04-2018 05:06 PM

Karl Benson on Jonesboogie radio at 5:15 central on Monday.

Live
http://live.mystreamplayer.com/kneaam?autoplay=1

Memorex:
http://953theticket.com/listen-to-past-shows/

RE: New Basketball Tournament Format - chiefsfan - 06-05-2018 12:16 AM

Some questions:

What do we classify as a peer conference?

In the Pod system, who gets the auto NIT bid?

Did the person in the Smoothie King Event offices get confused and thought he heard "SEC Tournament" When Benson actually said "SBC Instead"? Or are we paying a pretty penny to rent out a facility for two days for a game that 25 people might attend. (Which probably is the season average for Pelicans Games now that I think about it)

RE: New Basketball Tournament Format - chiefsfan - 06-05-2018 12:29 AM

Okay, Mohajir let some of this slip:

Peer Conferences: Contracts are not signed, but talk is that it will be a 3 league alliance between SBC/CUSA/Horizon League. Games will be matched to ensure Higher RPI's will play each other.

Mirror Scheduling: Apparently AState again took the lead in pushing to eliminate Men's Women's DH's. Mohajir's plan was Men Play Thursday/Saturday Women Play Friday/Sunday. Mirror Scheduling was the compromise. Apparently we were pushing to cover as many dates for our arena as possible, so it doesn't sit vacant.

RE: New Basketball Tournament Format - InjunJohn86 - 06-05-2018 05:58 AM

(06-04-2018 04:02 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  If A is 16-0 and B is 13-3 and C is 10-6
If A goes 0-4 in pod to be 16-4 and B goes 2-2 to be 15-5 and C goes 4-0 to be 14-6
C will be 1 seed at 14-6
B will be 2 seed at 15-5 and both go to NOLA locked into the semis
A will be 3 seed at 16-4 and host a quarterfinal game.
I don't like the whole POD and locking in a minimum seed. You are preventing teams from being able to improve their seed by more than 2 and never rising above their POD. Depending on records, a team at the top of 2d POD could win out, have the best or 2d best record in the conference and still be the #4 Seed.

Going into that last weekend this year, we had Seeds 2-7 still undecided. I would have to go back and look but I believe going into the last 4 games ULM was #3 but lost the last game of the year and fell to 6 and could have been #7. Under this new system, we would have been guaranteed #3. Would have been great for us (week to rest/practice) and only have to win one game to make the finals but I still don't think it is fair.

RE: New Basketball Tournament Format - bigCasu_ - 06-05-2018 07:52 AM

We are all going to hate this system eventually, because sooner or later, every team will get "screwed". I hate it already. You can't improve your RPI by playing your conference. It's impossible. Anyone with any common math skills would understand this. Teams will still need to win OOC games and hope those wins, if they are wins, hold on for the number of times you will be playing games inside the conference. There will be scheduling imbalances galore. It will be an absolute mess.

New Basketball Tournament Format - WolfBird - 06-05-2018 07:56 AM

(06-05-2018 07:52 AM)bigCasu_ Wrote:  We are all going to hate this system eventually, because sooner or later, every team will get "screwed". I hate it already. You can't improve your RPI by playing your conference. It's impossible. Anyone with any common math skills would understand this. Teams will still need to win OOC games and hope those wins, if they are wins, hold on for the number of times you will be playing games inside the conference. There will be scheduling imbalances galore. It will be an absolute mess.

App worries about basketball RPI?

RE: New Basketball Tournament Format - Saint3333 - 06-05-2018 08:30 AM

20 conference games is still too many. I like the OOC start, should have taken it to four games OOC and two in conference for pods.

RE: New Basketball Tournament Format - Duggie35 - 06-05-2018 12:32 PM

I like the changes. The SBC needs to also stop scheduling non-D1 schools. Maybe this will help. I like the on campus games for the first few rounds and moving to the Smoothy King is a great improvement. Not sure how all this will work long term, but something needed to change. Let's see how this works.

RE: New Basketball Tournament Format - SkullyMaroo - 06-05-2018 12:59 PM

(06-05-2018 12:32 PM)Duggie35 Wrote:  I like the changes. The SBC needs to also stop scheduling non-D1 schools. Maybe this will help. I like the on campus games for the first few rounds and moving to the Smoothy King is a great improvement. Not sure how all this will work long term, but something needed to change. Let's see how this works.

With more guaranteed home games with the scheduling agreement, any school scheduling a non-D1 school for a regular game is being really lazy. SBC should really prohibit that.

RE: New Basketball Tournament Format - arkstfan - 06-05-2018 01:24 PM

(06-05-2018 07:56 AM)WolfBird Wrote:  
(06-05-2018 07:52 AM)bigCasu_ Wrote:  We are all going to hate this system eventually, because sooner or later, every team will get "screwed". I hate it already. You can't improve your RPI by playing your conference. It's impossible. Anyone with any common math skills would understand this. Teams will still need to win OOC games and hope those wins, if they are wins, hold on for the number of times you will be playing games inside the conference. There will be scheduling imbalances galore. It will be an absolute mess.

About like us worrying about hoops. Ain't stopped us yet. COGS

RE: New Basketball Tournament Format - arkstfan - 06-05-2018 01:26 PM

(06-05-2018 12:16 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Some questions:

What do we classify as a peer conference?

In the Pod system, who gets the auto NIT bid?

Did the person in the Smoothie King Event offices get confused and thought he heard "SEC Tournament" When Benson actually said "SBC Instead"? Or are we paying a pretty penny to rent out a facility for two days for a game that 25 people might attend. (Which probably is the season average for Pelicans Games now that I think about it)

Bet we are paying hefty. When Waters was here one of the ideas looked at was a two court setup like Hot Springs at the Convention Center in NOLA and then move to Smoothie King for the finals and league AD's and presidents said no because the rental for one day was crazy.

EDIT
Release does not address whether for NIT purposes the #1 seed is the champion or the team with the best record after 20 games or the team with the best record after 16 games.

Everything indicates its Horizon, CUSA and Sun Belt pairing for the 2 open non-conference dates.

New Basketball Tournament Format - WolfBird - 06-05-2018 01:34 PM

(06-05-2018 01:24 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  

True. At least we once cared.

RE: New Basketball Tournament Format - chiefsfan - 06-05-2018 01:40 PM

(06-05-2018 01:34 PM)WolfBird Wrote:  
(06-05-2018 01:24 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  

True. At least we once cared.

That was back before we had football though, it doesn't count