CSNbbs
Stadium Renovation and Construction Thread - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Stadium Renovation and Construction Thread (/thread-850199.html)

RE: Stadium Renovation and Construction Thread - quo vadis - 02-26-2021 12:41 PM

(02-26-2021 11:27 AM)panama Wrote:  
(02-26-2021 09:18 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(02-25-2021 10:30 PM)panama Wrote:  
(02-25-2021 07:28 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(02-25-2021 02:43 PM)AztecEmpire Wrote:  The entire site will become part of the SDSU campus, connected to the main campus by trolly that is two stops away. This is a transformational project for the school and the region.

OK, sounds like it's not really "on campus", right? It's a short distance from the actual campus with trolley shuttle connection. Like Georgia State's stadium, the renovated Turner Field, that is owned by the university but is separate from the campus by a mile or so.

I think if USF did an OCS it would be either on the existing campus or else adjacent to it, so that there is no intervening separation. But of course that's a fantasy for us, while your quasi-campus stadium is fast becoming a reality. Kudos.
Campus is being built at the stadium. So ON campus. We did the same.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eh, that's not "on campus" the way I think about. "On campus" are stadiums like LSU and Ohio State, where you are walking around the grounds of the actual historical campus, where all the classroom building and dorms etc. are and right there in the mix of that is, well, the stadium. To be truly OCS, the stadium has to be in that mix or immediately adjacent to it, so that there's no intervening space.

Stadiums that are built away from the actual campus, but with plans to build other university facilities around it are quasi OCS. They are kind of extensions or satellites from the campus.

For example, if USF were to tear down its existing track and soccer stadium and build a football stadium there, that would be "in the mix" as the soccer stadium is in the area of the main campus. If we built it on the MOSI grounds, which are across the street from the main campus that would qualify too as it is adjacent to the campus so would be a natural extension of it. But if we bought the dying University Mall property, which is about a half-mile from our campus, and built a stadium there, with plans to build other facilities around it, such that students would be taking shuttles or something to the games, that would be a "quasi" situation. Not truly on campus, IMO. It wouldn't be on the current campus, rather we would be building a new campus, in effect.
Even our Downtown campus is really 3 campuses in the same area. Same for Georgia Tech. In fact GT plays basketball 10 blocks from where they play football. Their practice facility is a mile from the stadium. Yet it's all in campus. I think SDSU's plan with forms / student apartments by the stadium and classrooms etc qualifies as on campus unless you mean that you have to be next to the registrars office.

No, not necessarily next to the Registrar's Office, but within the area of the main campus. That in my view is an OCS. Georgia State and, apparently, SDST's new stadium, is a quasi-OCS. Not a true one. It's owned by the university, but on land separated from the main campus.

The whole idea of an "OCS" is that it doesn't require modes of transport to access by the university community. If you're on the main campus it's a short stroll to the stadium. If you're taking buses or shuttles or cars to get there, or need a 20 minute walk through the city, it's not OCS.

Tulane and UCF have true OCS.

RE: Stadium Renovation and Construction Thread - panama - 02-26-2021 02:23 PM

(02-26-2021 12:41 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(02-25-2021 10:30 PM)panama Wrote:  
(02-25-2021 07:28 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  OK, sounds like it's not really "on campus", right? It's a short distance from the actual campus with trolley shuttle connection. Like Georgia State's stadium, the renovated Turner Field, that is owned by the university but is separate from the campus by a mile or so.

I think if USF did an OCS it would be either on the existing campus or else adjacent to it, so that there is no intervening separation. But of course that's a fantasy for us, while your quasi-campus stadium is fast becoming a reality. Kudos.
Campus is being built at the stadium. So ON campus. We did the same.

Eh, that's not "on campus" the way I think about. "On campus" are stadiums like LSU and Ohio State, where you are walking around the grounds of the actual historical campus, where all the classroom building and dorms etc. are and right there in the mix of that is, well, the stadium. To be truly OCS, the stadium has to be in that mix or immediately adjacent to it, so that there's no intervening space.

Stadiums that are built away from the actual campus, but with plans to build other university facilities around it are quasi OCS. They are kind of extensions or satellites from the campus.

For example, if USF were to tear down its existing track and soccer stadium and build a football stadium there, that would be "in the mix" as the soccer stadium is in the area of the main campus. If we built it on the MOSI grounds, which are across the street from the main campus that would qualify too as it is adjacent to the campus so would be a natural extension of it. But if we bought the dying University Mall property, which is about a half-mile from our campus, and built a stadium there, with plans to build other facilities around it, such that students would be taking shuttles or something to the games, that would be a "quasi" situation. Not truly on campus, IMO. It wouldn't be on the current campus, rather we would be building a new campus, in effect.
Even our Downtown campus is really 3 campuses in the same area. Same for Georgia Tech. In fact GT plays basketball 10 blocks from where they play football. Their practice facility is a mile from the stadium. Yet it's all in campus. I think SDSU's plan with forms / student apartments by the stadium and classrooms etc qualifies as on campus unless you mean that you have to be next to the registrars office.

No, not necessarily next to the Registrar's Office, but within the area of the main campus. That in my view is an OCS. Georgia State and, apparently, SDST's new stadium, is a quasi-OCS. Not a true one. It's owned by the university, but on land separated from the main campus.

The whole idea of an "OCS" is that it doesn't require modes of transport to access by the university community. If you're on the main campus it's a short stroll to the stadium. If you're taking buses or shuttles or cars to get there, or need a 20 minute walk through the city, it's not OCS.

By your definition a good number of the traditional blue blood P5 do not have an OCS I guess. I know in our case there are student apartments across the street from the stadium. Definitely q "short stroll" .

RE: Stadium Renovation and Construction Thread - AztecEmpire - 02-26-2021 06:21 PM

SDSU students developed a culture around the trolley ride and going to FB games. We have one of the larger student sections in the G5. Now there will be actual classrooms next to the new stadium. Doesn't matter what others think about it, the culture is well established and will only grow when we add another 15k undergrads.

RE: Stadium Renovation and Construction Thread - panama - 02-26-2021 09:06 PM

(02-26-2021 06:21 PM)AztecEmpire Wrote:  SDSU students developed a culture around the trolley ride and going to FB games. We have one of the larger student sections in the G5. Now there will be actual classrooms next to the new stadium. Doesn't matter what others think about it, the culture is well established and will only grow when we add another 15k undergrads.
I think that distinction is key. What is the atmosphere around the stadium like day to day? Are there students and faculty walking around or is it a parking lot off the interstate like NCST? That is what matters.

RE: Stadium Renovation and Construction Thread - AztecEmpire - 03-01-2021 02:17 PM

(02-26-2021 09:06 PM)panama Wrote:  
(02-26-2021 06:21 PM)AztecEmpire Wrote:  SDSU students developed a culture around the trolley ride and going to FB games. We have one of the larger student sections in the G5. Now there will be actual classrooms next to the new stadium. Doesn't matter what others think about it, the culture is well established and will only grow when we add another 15k undergrads.
I think that distinction is key. What is the atmosphere around the stadium like day to day? Are there students and faculty walking around or is it a parking lot off the interstate like NCST? That is what matters.

I believe the Q had one of the largest parking lots in the west. Tailgating, tailgating tailgating. Before each game the team did the Warrior walk, through the crowd in the parking lot. In the parking lot you would see everything from frosh to grad students, to teachers, etc. Also a lot of locals who never attended but root for the team. With no NFL team in town and with site being renewed and a large area for tailgating will be maintained it will be more of the same but with classrooms right next to the stadium, unlike before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si9P_gsfUAw&ab_channel=SDSU

Despite the size, the stadium will be the nicest FBS stadium in CA once it's done. Rose Bowl and Coliseum have tons of history but arent that great for game day experience. Rose Bowl is similar in that pregame is a big deal do to tailgate culture.

RE: Stadium Renovation and Construction Thread - joeben69 - 03-03-2021 05:49 PM

Aztec Stadium Update: Pour begins on eastern side of new stadium, eight sections of old stadium remain
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/story/2021-03-03/san-diego-state-aztecs-football-sdsu-mission-valley-stadium-update-demolition-innovation

RE: Stadium Renovation and Construction Thread - whittx - 03-03-2021 08:04 PM

(02-26-2021 02:23 PM)panama Wrote:  
(02-25-2021 10:30 PM)panama Wrote:  Campus is being built at the stadium. So ON campus. We did the same.

By your definition a good number of the traditional blue blood P5 do not have an OCS I guess. I know in our case there are student apartments across the street from the stadium. Definitely q "short stroll" .

Does having admissions and financial aid in the stadium count even if the stadium is at the edge of campus? Or if the stadium across a river from campus count (even if it is infinitely better than the previous stadium location?

RE: Stadium Renovation and Construction Thread - panama - 03-03-2021 10:39 PM

(03-03-2021 08:04 PM)whittx Wrote:  
(02-26-2021 02:23 PM)panama Wrote:  
(02-26-2021 09:18 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  Eh, that's not "on campus" the way I think about. "On campus" are stadiums like LSU and Ohio State, where you are walking around the grounds of the actual historical campus, where all the classroom building and dorms etc. are and right there in the mix of that is, well, the stadium. To be truly OCS, the stadium has to be in that mix or immediately adjacent to it, so that there's no intervening space.

Does having admissions and financial aid in the stadium count even if the stadium is at the edge of campus? Or if the stadium across a river from campus count (even if it is infinitely better than the previous stadium location?
Seems like a very specific situation you're referring to. LOL

RE: Stadium Renovation and Construction Thread - Transic_nyc - 03-14-2021 02:17 AM

Quote:Washington State has reached a deal for the naming rights to the playing field at Martin Stadium that will guarantee the school at least $11 million.

The Washington State Board of Regents approved the 10-year agreement with Gesa Credit Union on Friday. The Cougars’ home football field will now be known as Gesa Field at Martin Stadium.

https://www.columbian.com/news/2021/mar/12/washington-state-lands-naming-rights-deal-for-martin-stadium-field/

Stadium Renovation and Construction Thread - panama - 03-14-2021 12:17 PM

Convocation Center coming along.[Image: c850f69683a3baae6a91364a7ea10669.jpg]

RE: Stadium Renovation and Construction Thread - panama - 03-15-2021 03:25 PM

(03-14-2021 12:17 PM)panama Wrote:  Convocation Center coming along.[Image: c850f69683a3baae6a91364a7ea10669.jpg]

https://twitter.com/CenterParcATL/status/1371548544897708032?s=20

RE: Stadium Renovation and Construction Thread - joeben69 - 03-22-2021 05:01 PM

San Diego Stadium farewell: Last section coming down to ground Monday
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/story/2021-03-22/san-diego-stadium-farewell-last-section-comes-down-to-ground-aztecs-jack-murphy-qualcomm

RE: Stadium Renovation and Construction Thread - SDSUguy - 04-06-2021 10:18 PM

SDSU releases new stadium fly through highlighting premium ticket sections. It looks amazing.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?spMailingID=6765078&spUserID=MjIxODIyNDQwMzExS0&spJobID=1240388683&spReportId=MTI0MDM4ODY4MwS2&v=ofR6QTDIJho&feature=youtu.be

RE: Stadium Renovation and Construction Thread - IWokeUpLikeThis - 04-06-2021 10:38 PM

(04-06-2021 10:18 PM)SDSUguy Wrote:  SDSU releases new stadium fly through highlighting premium ticket sections. It looks amazing.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?spMailingID=6765078&spUserID=MjIxODIyNDQwMzExS0&spJobID=1240388683&spReportId=MTI0MDM4ODY4MwS2&v=ofR6QTDIJho&feature=youtu.be

Wow. I’ve been to dozens of CFB stadiums and that premium seating looks to be among the best.

RE: Stadium Renovation and Construction Thread - SDSUguy - 04-06-2021 10:47 PM

Yeah it’s pretty incredible.

RE: Stadium Renovation and Construction Thread - Transic_nyc - 04-15-2021 05:30 PM

Quote:Athletic director Candice Storey Lee said that Vanderbilt would reveal more details in the coming weeks, and that began on Thursday. The university will build new luxury seating into the North end zone of Vanderbilt Stadium, which currently is semi-open without bleachers, in time for the 2021 season.

Vanderbilt Stadium's largest video board stands in the North end zone, below which limited fans can sit on a small, grassy area behind the end zone. It is unclear whether the addition of luxury seating in the end zone will increase the stadium's current capacity of 40,350. Vanderbilt says it will complete the project in July.

“Renovating the north end zone space and adding a premium element for the upcoming season is one aspect of our larger commitment to improve our fan experience in Vanderbilt Stadium,” Lee said in a release.

https://247sports.com/college/vanderbilt/Article/Vanderbilt-football-announces-new-luxury-seating-project-in-stadium-164206296/

RE: Stadium Renovation and Construction Thread - AztecEmpire - 04-16-2021 11:05 AM

SDSU's new stadium has a livestream construction cam.

https://oxblue.com/pro/videoRedirect.php?videoCamID=0fdc5b7e09245eaba289af7ba36d9a75

RE: Stadium Renovation and Construction Thread - HawaiiMongoose - 04-16-2021 11:40 PM

Work is continuing on Hawaii’s temporary on-campus home field that is expected to be used over the next three seasons while the 35K Aloha Stadium replacement is under construction:

https://hawaiiathletics.com/news/2021/4/16/football-8-3m-retrofit-of-ching-athletics-complex-advancing.aspx

Here's a photo of the field where the new turf will be installed and the new seating and other amenities will be added:

[Image: DJI_0124.JPG]

The temporary field is expected to seat 10K but the athletic director mentioned in a radio interview this morning that capacity could be increased to 15K if the NCAA refuses to grant a short-term waiver from the FBS minimum attendance requirement.

Stadium Renovation and Construction Thread - indianasniff - 04-17-2021 12:02 AM

(04-16-2021 11:40 PM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  Work is continuing on Hawaii’s temporary on-campus home field that is expected to be used over the next three seasons while the 35K Aloha Stadium replacement is under construction:

https://hawaiiathletics.com/news/2021/4/16/football-8-3m-retrofit-of-ching-athletics-complex-advancing.aspx

Here's a photo of the field where the new turf will be installed and the new seating and other amenities will be added:

[Image: DJI_0124.JPG]

The temporary field is expected to seat 10K but the athletic director mentioned in a radio interview this morning that capacity could be increased to 15K if the NCAA refuses to grant a waiver from the FBS minimum attendance requirement.

I would want to tail gate on the roof of that garage. Sweet vantage point to watch from

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Stadium Renovation and Construction Thread - HawaiiMongoose - 04-17-2021 12:06 AM

(04-17-2021 12:02 AM)indianasniff Wrote:  
(04-16-2021 11:40 PM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  Work is continuing on Hawaii’s temporary on-campus home field that is expected to be used over the next three seasons while the 35K Aloha Stadium replacement is under construction:

I would want to tail gate on the roof of that garage. Sweet vantage point to watch from

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny you should mention it. That is being contemplated and quite a few UH fans are excited at the prospect.