CSNbbs
Saban ain't happy with ucf's title..he dismisses it - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: Saban ain't happy with ucf's title..he dismisses it (/thread-850070.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Saban ain't happy with ucf's title..he dismisses it - Huskypride - 05-16-2018 12:49 PM

"I guess anybody has the prerogative to claim anything. But self-proclaimed is not the same as actually earning it," Saban told USA Today in a story published Tuesday. "And there's probably a significant number of people who don't respect people who make self-proclaimed sort of accolades for themselves

Saban said he had a lot of respect for what UCF accomplished because going undefeated is no small feat, but he said the national champion claims were unfair.

"We've only had one undefeated team, and that is really hard to do," Saban said. "So I have a tremendous amount of respect for their team and what they were able to accomplish. ... And they can make every claim that they should have been in the playoff. I get that.

"But we have a system, and it's not fair to the people who went through the system and earned their way playing really, really good teams -- I mean really good teams -- and really tough games. It's not quite fair to them for somebody else just to decide to (claim a national championship)."

link

RE: Saban ain't happy with ucf's title..he dismisses it - thespiritof1976 - 05-16-2018 12:58 PM

1941 cough cough

RE: Saban ain't happy with ucf's title..he dismisses it - gotigers1 - 05-16-2018 01:34 PM

oh Boo hoo....your an @$$hole Nick, always have been

RE: Saban ain't happy with ucf's title..he dismisses it - Auburn_Blazer - 05-16-2018 01:44 PM

(05-16-2018 12:58 PM)thespiritof1976 Wrote:  1941 cough cough

That's not even close to their only one. Nick Saban is probably the best coach ever but he's coaching for the wrong school if he wants to say you have to earn your championships.

RE: Saban ain't happy with ucf's title..he dismisses it - pesik - 05-16-2018 01:45 PM

i wish some report with aac ties would have the balls to call him out

how canyou say they didnt earn it, when they won every single game..isnt that the definition of earning it

it also isnt self proclaimed, its based on a polling system recognized by the ncaa, to claim a champiosnhip

doesnt bama self-proclaimed titles that they proudly hang

RE: Saban ain't happy with ucf's title..he dismisses it - glay83 - 05-16-2018 02:14 PM

(05-16-2018 12:49 PM)Huskypride Wrote:  "I guess anybody has the prerogative to claim anything. But self-proclaimed is not the same as actually earning it," Saban told USA Today in a story published Tuesday. "And there's probably a significant number of people who don't respect people who make self-proclaimed sort of accolades for themselves

Saban said he had a lot of respect for what UCF accomplished because going undefeated is no small feat, but he said the national champion claims were unfair.

"We've only had one undefeated team, and that is really hard to do," Saban said. "So I have a tremendous amount of respect for their team and what they were able to accomplish. ... And they can make every claim that they should have been in the playoff. I get that.

"But we have a system, and it's not fair to the people who went through the system and earned their way playing really, really good teams -- I mean really good teams -- and really tough games. It's not quite fair to them for somebody else just to decide to (claim a national championship)."

link

Oh my that's a shocker! Time to recall all the UCF National Championship T-Shirts 03-nutkick

RE: Saban ain't happy with ucf's title..he dismisses it - Bull - 05-16-2018 02:18 PM

There are 10 FBS conferences. If you can go undefeated at the 'same level' as Alabama, and NOT get into the playoffs... that alone is evidence we have a ridiculous 'playoff' system that does not work.

The teams UCF beat, winning a bowl against a team that beat BOTH playoff teams... and all the other head to head evidence, is just more icing on the cake.

RE: Saban ain't happy with ucf's title..he dismisses it - thespiritof1976 - 05-16-2018 02:31 PM

ESPN, the CFP, and the SEC are running, at least IMO, the very definition of an unlawful monopoly.

They are using private enterprise to corner a market and exude obtuse control of public institutions. How can that NOT be a monopoly ?

We have RICO laws for this.

For all of the talk of draining the swamp, there is a nasty mucky swamp up in Bristol and Birmingham.

RE: Saban ain't happy with ucf's title..he dismisses it - Knights_of_UCF - 05-16-2018 03:32 PM

sad thing saban doesn't wanna admit is UCF beat more playoff ranked teams than bama did yet bama was the one selected to the playoffs...not UCF. So who didn't earn it?

RE: Saban ain't happy with ucf's title..he dismisses it - mikeinoki - 05-16-2018 04:04 PM

Maybe lil'l Nicky needs glasses. Or he's just greedy. This is from 2009.
Alabama Fans Claim 12 National Championships: Reality Claims Otherwise

1925: Myth Alabama claims they "share" this one with Dartmouth. Who gave the Tide the title? Houlgate and Helms. Houlgate started his system in 1927. Wait a second—this means 'Bama won their 1925 national championship using a formula that didn't even exist until 1927? The other title giver, Helms Athletic Foundation, wasn't founded until 1941. Hmm, another mind-blowing retroactive scam.

1926: Myth Alabama claims they "share" this one with three other teams with equal or better records. Once again, it is the Helms Athletic Foundation (founded in 1941) that "gives" Alabama this title. But wait, this organization wasn't formed until over 15 years later, right?

1930: Myth The Parke Davis poll says that 'Bama tied Notre Dame for the national championship this year, but this was the only poll to award it to 'Bama. Meanwhile, Notre Dame was named national champion in six different polls. I thought there could only truthfully be one champion, but I guess I was wrong. Interesting fact: Parke Davis is another retroactive system. He (an individual, not an organization) didn't create his system until 1933—three years after the fact.

1934: Myth Alabama says they share this title with two other teams. The title givers this time are Dunkel, Williamson, and Football Thesaurus. Dunkel was a fan—check that, fan—who came up with his own polling system. Williamson was a geologist who also came up with his own system. Football Thesaurus didn't even appear until 1946. Once again, 12 years later. Another title that should never have been claimed.

1941: Myth One day, when I have children, I'll read about this one to them before bed each night. Fact is, it might as well be written in a book full of colorful pictures and fairy tales. The AP ranked Alabama 20th in the nation this season with 14 teams having better records above them. Once again, it is the Football Thesaurus that retroactively awards the Tide this title. Alabama finished third in the SEC that year, while Mississippi State won the SEC title. It completely baffles me that 'Bama claims a national title in 1941.

Be sure to get your official Commemorative Crusty Tide Bogus Championships Plaque only from the official Crusty Tide store.
http://shop.rolltide.com/Alabama_Crimson_Tide_Collectibles_Wall_Art/Highland_Mint_Alabama_Crimson_Tide_College_Football_Playoff_2017_National_Champions_12_x_20_Legacy_Photo_Mint
[Image: productImages%2f_3024000%2fff_3024556_fu...;amp;w=600]

RE: Saban ain't happy with ucf's title..he dismisses it - va-eagle - 05-16-2018 04:32 PM

(05-16-2018 03:32 PM)Knights_of_UCF Wrote:  sad thing saban doesn't wanna admit is UCF beat more playoff ranked teams than bama did yet bama was the one selected to the playoffs...not UCF. So who didn't earn it?

They didn't earn the playoff spot, but they earned the NC.

RE: Saban ain't happy with ucf's title..he dismisses it - billybobby777 - 05-16-2018 04:42 PM

(05-16-2018 12:49 PM)Huskypride Wrote:  "I guess anybody has the prerogative to claim anything. But self-proclaimed is not the same as actually earning it," Saban told USA Today in a story published Tuesday. "And there's probably a significant number of people who don't respect people who make self-proclaimed sort of accolades for themselves

link

Sick Naban said, “But we have a system, and it’s not fair to the people......”
Which people is it unfair to Sicky Naben? The FBS people in the 5 ESPN backed leagues or the other 5 FBS leagues? I’ll trade you places Saban! Your team can join the non-ESPN backed league, while mine can get that money and those players!

RE: Saban ain't happy with ucf's title..he dismisses it - sierrajip - 05-16-2018 05:21 PM

Just backing the system. No news there. My only problem with him is his statements about scheduling A5 opponents.

RE: Saban ain't happy with ucf's title..he dismisses it - MAD MACGYVER - 05-16-2018 05:42 PM

I don't mind UCF claiming a National Championship. Mostly because I think they are highlighting the cabal that the CFP committee, and the rest of P5 really are.

Honestly, I think every undefeated G5 team that has won a BCS/NY6 game should start claiming past Championships, and claim one every time in the future. The G5 should make the CFP stink so badly, and make everyone lament the moment the football season is over due to the inevitable claims of their G5 "lessers" that change can't but happen, if only to shut the G5 up.

RE: Saban ain't happy with ucf's title..he dismisses it - KNIGHTTIME - 05-16-2018 06:06 PM

(05-16-2018 05:42 PM)MAD MACGYVER Wrote:  I don't mind UCF claiming a National Championship. Mostly because I think they are highlighting the cabal that the CFP committee, and the rest of P5 really are.

Honestly, I think every undefeated G5 team that has won a BCS/NY6 game should start claiming past Championships, and claim one every time in the future. The G5 should make the CFP stink so badly, and make everyone lament the moment the football season is over due to the inevitable claims of their G5 "lessers" that change can't but happen, if only to shut the G5 up.

If there is a legit argument like ucf had... definitely. Especially when ucf was the only undefeated team and beating the team that beat both in the championship game. Also picking up multiple AP #1 votes and getting the Colley Matrix computer ranking at #1 and several media outlets gave us the number #1. Plus football God's like Bowden and Spurrier said ucf is the national champs.

RE: Saban ain't happy with ucf's title..he dismisses it - Meatwad - 05-16-2018 06:08 PM

if you're on this list and want to, CLAIM IT. it can't be self-proclaimed if the NCAA recognizes the claim.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_football_national_championships_in_NCAA_Division_I_FBS#National_championships_in_the_official_NCAA_Football_Bowl_Subdivision_records

RE: Saban ain't happy with ucf's title..he dismisses it - KNIGHTTIME - 05-16-2018 06:09 PM

In 2013 we only lost one game by 3 points and beating #8 Louisville on the road and Big 12 champ Baylor in the fiesta bowl. We never said we were national champs.

Louisville only lost to us. They would have been in the national championship likely...I think.

RE: Saban ain't happy with ucf's title..he dismisses it - sierrajip - 05-16-2018 06:11 PM

(05-16-2018 06:08 PM)Meatwad Wrote:  if you're on this list and want to, CLAIM IT. it can't be self-proclaimed if the NCAA recognizes the claim.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_football_national_championships_in_NCAA_Division_I_FBS#National_championships_in_the_official_NCAA_Football_Bowl_Subdivision_records

I thought it was not an NCAA playoff.

RE: Saban ain't happy with ucf's title..he dismisses it - slhNavy91 - 05-16-2018 06:48 PM

(05-16-2018 05:42 PM)MAD MACGYVER Wrote:  I don't mind UCF claiming a National Championship. Mostly because I think they are highlighting the cabal that the CFP committee, and the rest of P5 really are.

If they were named by even one NCAA-recognized "major selector" yes go for it. Meatwad even provided a link to comprehensive list.
If not, no.

That the final win was over the team that beat the CFP finalists, or Bowden or Spurrier, or the Columbus Touchdown Club support it? All just icing on top. The LEGITIMACY of the claim is that it meets the basic foundational criteria, just like numerous contested claims by various "big-time" schools.

RE: Saban ain't happy with ucf's title..he dismisses it - goodknightfl - 05-16-2018 07:06 PM

(05-16-2018 01:44 PM)Auburn_Blazer Wrote:  
(05-16-2018 12:58 PM)thespiritof1976 Wrote:  1941 cough cough

That's not even close to their only one. Nick Saban is probably the best coach ever but he's coaching for the wrong school if he wants to say you have to earn your championships.

Well he did finish 3rd in the SEC,