CSNbbs
LSU, Cincinnati Granted Permission - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: LSU, Cincinnati Granted Permission (/thread-849611.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: LSU, Cincinnati Granted Permission - Def Berkkat - 05-18-2018 05:12 PM

How can you turn down the chance to develop your skills under noted QB guru... Ed Orgeron.

RE: LSU, Cincinnati Granted Permission - BigDawg - 05-18-2018 05:28 PM

(05-18-2018 04:37 PM)CincyBearcatFan86 Wrote:  
(05-18-2018 04:18 PM)RealDeal Wrote:  Hopefully that guy is already on campus

It’s unlikely that he is given who the starter is.

I think we do and that guy is Ben Bryant. Sounds like he could be a stud. I also can see Ridder beating out Moore or taking over at some point this season. My guess is they would like to redshirt Bryant and have him take over as a redshirt freshman. Time will tell. I was hoping to get Burrow and make sure Bryant redshirted and then had another season to learn or push Burrow, but it wasn't meant to be.

I can see us being ready to get it going again 2019 when Bryant is ready to take over.

RE: LSU, Cincinnati Granted Permission - UCGrad1992 - 05-18-2018 05:34 PM

Sucks to not land him but still happy we were in the mix. Move on.

Quote:Former Ohio State quarterback Joe Burrow transferring to LSU
Tom Groeschen, tgroeschen@enquirer.com Published 5:42 p.m. ET May 18, 2018

Ohio State football graduate transfer quarterback Joe Burrow has picked LSU over the Cincinnati Bearcats as his next destination, a highly-placed UC source told The Enquirer on Friday afternoon.

Burrow had narrowed his choices to LSU and UC and recently visited both schools, according to multiple reports. Burrow also reportedly planned to visit North Carolina but that visit was canceled.

Burrow, a former Ohio Mr. Football from Athens High School, announced May 8 via Twitter that he was transferring from OSU. Burrow graduated from OSU earlier this month and will be eligible to play immediately, with two years of eligibility remaining.

As a recruit, Burrow was rated a 4-star dual-threat quarterback at Athens. During his time as a backup at OSU, Burrow completed just over 74 percent of his 39 career pass attempts for 287 yards and two touchdowns.

As for transfer destinations, UC immediately came up because of Burrow's connection to Bearcats head coach Luke Fickell. Fickell was an Ohio State assistant when Burrow joined the Buckeyes program in 2015.

At UC, Burrow might have presented a challenge to senior-to-be incumbent Hayden Moore. Moore established his hold on the No. 1 job during 2018 spring football, and presumed backup Ross Trail transferred last month.

Joe Geaux LSU

RE: LSU, Cincinnati Granted Permission - JackieTreehorn - 05-18-2018 06:53 PM

(05-18-2018 05:34 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  Sucks to not land him but still happy we were in the mix. Move on.

Ohio State football graduate transfer quarterback Joe Burrow has picked LSU over the Cincinnati Bearcats as his next destination, a highly-placed UC source told The Enquirer on Friday afternoon.

Burrow had narrowed his choices to LSU and UC and recently visited both schools, according to multiple reports. Burrow also reportedly planned to visit North Carolina but that visit was canceled.

Burrow, a former Ohio Mr. Football from Athens High School, announced May 8 via Twitter that he was transferring from OSU. Burrow graduated from OSU earlier this month and will be eligible to play immediately, with two years of eligibility remaining.

As a recruit, Burrow was rated a 4-star dual-threat quarterback at Athens. During his time as a backup at OSU, Burrow completed just over 74 percent of his 39 career pass attempts for 287 yards and two touchdowns.

As for transfer destinations, UC immediately came up because of Burrow's connection to Bearcats head coach Luke Fickell. Fickell was an Ohio State assistant when Burrow joined the Buckeyes program in 2015.

At UC, Burrow might have presented a challenge to senior-to-be incumbent Hayden Moore. Moore established his hold on the No. 1 job during 2018 spring football, and presumed backup Ross Trail transferred last month.

Joe Geaux LSU

So we finished 2nd. Do we get a set of steak knives?

RE: LSU, Cincinnati Granted Permission - UCGrad1992 - 05-18-2018 07:20 PM

Damn! So it begins. Welcome to the SEC Jeaux!

Quote:Welcome to Louisiana, Joe Burrow.

If the reports are correct about you transferring from Ohio State, I hope you like seeing your name Cajunized — Jeaux Burreaux. Trust me, it sounds the same as it does in Ohio.

I hope you are an adventurous eater. We like to chow down on things that crawl, swim and slither, but you will taste things you have never tasted in your life that taste better than anything you have ever had in your life.

And I hope you like pressure. Did you happen to part the waters of any lakes or rivers on your way down from Ohio State?

LSU football is not just looking for a starting quarterback after the last transfer, Danny Etling, squeezed the last drop of eligibility from his college career New Year’s Day in the Citrus Bowl. It is looking for a savior, to not only deliver the Tigers back to somewhere in the vicinity of college football’s mountaintop, but keep LSU from sliding into mediocrity.

You are going to be expected to calm the waters of an unsettled scene, made more so since no definite leader emerged among the Tigers’ three current quarterbacks after spring practice.

The hope, at least on the surface of it, is that you will be able to bolster LSU’s depth issues at quarterback. Did you know LSU did not sign a quarterback this offseason? Everyone here does. Your position is always crucial, but here the quarterback spot has reached critical mass as LSU tries (we think) to modernize its offense under Steve Ensminger.

Of course, your arrival is likely to make one of the incumbents — Myles Brennan, Lowell Narcisse or Justin McMillan — decide to transfer out. Maybe two of them. That would negate any potential benefit of your arrival depth-wise, or even make it worse.

That is not your problem. Your quest is to find a place to show your stuff after losing a duel for the Buckeyes’ starting job with Dwayne Haskins. A broken thumb put you behind in the fall and you were never able to get past him. It happens.

But, we are compelled to point out, you only threw 39 passes in two years at Ohio State. You have some plaudits and prototypical tools — four-star prospect out of high school, 6-foot-3, 215 pounds — but you also are going to be working from behind here, too. Whichever LSU quarterbacks remain to battle you for the starting job were all here last season and in the spring. That is an edge for them, especially Brennan and Narcisse, who were as comparably lauded coming out of high school as you were.

No offense, but it would be a pleasant change of pace to see LSU identify and cultivate a starting quarterback from his freshman year on up. The last one to do that was Jordan Jefferson (2008-11), with several spells in there from Jarrett Lee. The last one to do that who everyone could get behind and say by consensus was an excellent starting quarterback was Matt Flynn, who patiently waited his turn behind JaMarcus Russell before leading LSU to the BCS national championship in 2007.

But that is not your problem. Your problem is someone may expect you to be Flynn. Or Zach Mettenberger, who threw for more than 5,600 yards in 2012-13 after transferring in from a junior college following his banishment from Georgia.

Or Joe Montana.

Hey, maybe you will come here and have a great career, lead LSU to a lot of wins. Maybe even a championship. The defense won’t be shabby at all, and you will have some nice targets to pass to.

So good luck, Joe Burrow. Great name for a quarterback, by the way.

As long as no one expects you to be Joe Montana right out of the gate.

Under Pressure?

RE: LSU, Cincinnati Granted Permission - BearcatJerry - 05-18-2018 08:20 PM

(05-18-2018 06:53 PM)JackieTreehorn Wrote:  
(05-18-2018 05:34 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  Sucks to not land him but still happy we were in the mix. Move on.

Joe Geaux LSU

So we finished 2nd. Do we get a set of steak knives?

Runners up will get...a deluxe version of the board game, and "Rice-a-Roni," the San Francisco treat.

RE: LSU, Cincinnati Granted Permission - Def Berkkat - 05-18-2018 08:36 PM

Maybe he'll get down there and find LSU as undesirable as say, Gunner Kiel?

Maybe?

RE: LSU, Cincinnati Granted Permission - UCinNKY - 05-18-2018 10:58 PM

Personally being happy about finishing 2nd is a losers mentality. The minute LSU showed interest, thats tough to overcome. I mean, Nipper is great and all, but it's not the behemoth Tiger stadium is. If Fickell wasn't here I doubt we'd had even been considered.

RE: LSU, Cincinnati Granted Permission - bearcatmark - 05-19-2018 06:07 AM

No surprise. Staff has still recruited like crazy. We've won some big battles and are clearly a player in others. I never have ill will towards a kid for picking a different school.

RE: LSU, Cincinnati Granted Permission - rosewater - 05-19-2018 08:17 AM

He can step in and win at a high level at Lsu. We still have some work to do with missing pieces. Fick did good and bodes well for the future.

RE: LSU, Cincinnati Granted Permission - Def Berkkat - 05-19-2018 08:32 AM

OK, I've now reached the anger stage of grief.

It's not like this guy was ever UC. While we were all disappointed about Jacob Evans' decision, we at least owe him our best wishes as he was one of us.

This guy was (gag) Ohio $tate and is now LSU. Screw him.

I for one will be laughing when a 6'6" DE that runs a 4.4 40 comes unblocked and Burrow's heels are hitting the back of his head.

RE: LSU, Cincinnati Granted Permission - bearcatdp - 05-19-2018 08:40 AM

(05-19-2018 08:32 AM)Def Berkkat Wrote:  OK, I've now reached the anger stage of grief.

It's not like this guy was ever UC. While we were all disappointed about Jacob Evans' decision, we at least owe him our best wishes as he was one of us.

I for one will be laughing when a 6'6" DE that runs a 4.4 40 comes unblocked and Burrow's heels are hitting the back of his head.

LSU is pretty good. Maybe Orgeron sold him as the last piece needed for a championship...not something UC could sell him (unfortunately). Also, did you see the OL last year? Not sure any QB, who has options, would choose to come here over a team that has a big, solid OL. I'm just being honest with myself. I think UC will be fine at QB this year but it does hurt he went somewhere else, especially being an in state kid.

RE: LSU, Cincinnati Granted Permission - Def Berkkat - 05-19-2018 08:46 AM

(05-19-2018 08:40 AM)bearcatdp Wrote:  
(05-19-2018 08:32 AM)Def Berkkat Wrote:  OK, I've now reached the anger stage of grief.

LSU is pretty good. Maybe Orgeron sold him as the last piece needed for a championship...not something UC could sell him (unfortunately). Also, did you see the OL last year? Not sure any QB, who has options, would choose to come here over a team that has a big, solid OL. I'm just being honest with myself. I think UC will be fine at QB this year but it does hurt he went somewhere else, especially being an in state kid.

Hey, don't come at me with logic and reason.

We're talking about fandom here.

You pick us... we love ya. You pick somebody else... you're scum.

RE: LSU, Cincinnati Granted Permission - Lush - 05-19-2018 08:54 AM

yeah. i hope he gets food poisoning

RE: LSU, Cincinnati Granted Permission - Bearcat 1985 - 05-19-2018 08:55 AM

(05-19-2018 08:32 AM)Def Berkkat Wrote:  I for one will be laughing when a 6'6" DE that runs a 4.4 40 comes unblocked and Burrow's heels are hitting the back of his head.

I'm sure he dealt with that plenty of times at OSU practices. I, for one, simply don't care now that he's made his choice not to come to UC, and I'm certainly not going to invest any emotional energy rooting against much less hoping for him to get blindsided and injured. If he turns himself into an NFL 1st rounder, fine, but I don't care. If he fails, too bad, but I don't care.

RE: LSU, Cincinnati Granted Permission - dsquare - 05-19-2018 09:05 AM

It will interesting to see how he does this summer against the oirther qb's given he never had the benefit of spring practice. He'll definitely be in a grinder catching up not to mention the competition he's going to face defensively. What's the probability he ends up the starter in Sept given he didn't crack as the starter at osu.

RE: LSU, Cincinnati Granted Permission - bearcatdp - 05-19-2018 09:18 AM

(05-19-2018 08:46 AM)Def Berkkat Wrote:  

Fair enough. I hope he butt fumbles every game.

RE: LSU, Cincinnati Granted Permission - Def Berkkat - 05-19-2018 09:47 AM

(05-19-2018 09:18 AM)bearcatdp Wrote:  
(05-19-2018 08:46 AM)Def Berkkat Wrote:  

Fair enough. I hope he butt fumbles every game.

Now that's the spirit !

RE: LSU, Cincinnati Granted Permission - ucbandguy - 05-19-2018 03:18 PM

I also wonder how much the "support factors" entered into Barrow's equation. Can my receivers get separation and hold onto the ball? Can the OL keep me on my feet until I can deliver it? Can the defense keep us in the game so I am not always playing catch up?

While I am hoping those "support factors" will be better than last year, I doubt they would be a positive factor (in our direction) in his decision. I don't know what LSU has in receivers, but I suspect they look better than ours did last year.

Those support factors are part of the reason I don't want to join the Hayden Moore Basher's Society. (Unfortunately, he doesn't leave me highly optimistic, either.)

RE: LSU, Cincinnati Granted Permission - BearcatJerry - 05-19-2018 08:03 PM

OK, so first you say this...
(05-18-2018 10:58 PM)UCinNKY Wrote:  Personally being happy about finishing 2nd is a losers mentality.

Then you say this...
Quote:The minute LSU showed interest, thats tough to overcome. I mean, Nipper [SIC] is great and all, but it's not the behemoth Tiger stadium is. If Fickell wasn't here I doubt we'd had even been considered.

Can you say..."Irony"?