CSNbbs
Maryland Youth Sports Program Opts Out Of Participation Trophies - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: Maryland Youth Sports Program Opts Out Of Participation Trophies (/thread-849466.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Maryland Youth Sports Program Opts Out Of Participation Trophies - usmbacker - 05-06-2018 10:31 AM

[Image: ilbmhi.jpg]

Trophies are for winning, not for just showing up.

Quote:For years, Reisterstown Baseball has given trophies to its youngest players — those aged 4 through 8 —for showing up.

But before the current season began, the youth league posted a new message on its website for parents of its youngest two divisions: “There will not be any participation trophies or medals handed out.”

“It’s just going back to the thought that you only get a trophy if you win,” said Andy Paladino, commissioner of the program. “I’m not going to change the world. My thoughts were to go back to the past.”

Participation trophies — as much a part of youth sports leagues as orange slices and twisted ankles — still provoke a sharp cultural debate over how best to build kids’ self-esteem. Around Maryland and the across the country, soccer, baseball and other programs are grappling with whether to provide the generic awards, given to all players, no matter the team’s record.

Some parents say they are uplifting and foster a sense of belonging. Others say they illustrate an American tendency to coddle children, promoting narcissism. Pundits mock millennials — those born roughly between 1980 and the mid-2000s — as the “Participation Trophy Generation.”

“Everybody has their own opinions,” said Sara Kessler. Her 6-year-old son, Mason, is among 350 players in Reisterstown Baseball.

Paladino, an investment adviser, said rewarding kids for showing up can lead to lingering feelings of entitlement.

“I would be interested to see how some of these kids who received them in the past are doing at their jobs now,” he said.

Keep reading here

RE: Maryland Youth Sports Program Opts Out Of Participation Trophies - Fort Bend Owl - 05-06-2018 11:41 AM

My kids have done a summer swim team for almost a decade now (they started as 6 and 8 year olds and now they get to swim and coach, and actually make decent money doing it as their summer jobs). We hand out ribbons at every meet (which the older kids ignore) but I like the format of that league; whether you swim in the fastest heat or the slowest heat, you're getting the same ribbon for 1st place in the A heat as you do in the G or H heat. Of course swimming is more of an individual sport than a team sport (similar to track and field in that regard as you're mostly paying attention to your times) so it's tough to compare it to baseball or football, or whatever.

The thing that annoys me though is how parents are so competitive and will move their kids from one summer team to another if they feel (a) they get more individual attention with one team and even (b) if the relay teams have a better chance at making the all-star meet after the regular season is over. These parents push their kid from one competitive sport to another from early age and in swim's case, these 6 year olds who start doing year round swimming that early almost always get burnt out by 13 or 14.

It's very sad to see. Very few of them ever get a chance at a college scholarship and many times it has no bearing on how hard the kid works all those years. A lot of it in swimming is genetics. The short kids have a big disadvantage against the taller kids. At least in the sprints, it makes a huge difference if a 6-foot kid can do a race in 5-10 less strokes than a 5-3 kid (or 6-3/6-4 boys vs 5-9/5-10 boys).

RE: Maryland Youth Sports Program Opts Out Of Participation Trophies - Marc Mensa - 05-06-2018 11:50 AM

Not sure what is meant by participation trophy.

When I was growing up in the 70's it was customary for teams to have an end of the year banquet and every kid received a trophy for playing on the team. There were individual awards, too, but everyone received a trophy for being on the team.

I'm sorry, but youth sports are a hell of a lot more competitive now... mainly because of the parents... and its given a warped sense of whats important. My kids have participated at the highest levels of competitive youth baseball, and there are times I truly shake my head at what youth sports have become. The idea of participation trophies and I'm ok you're ok is NOT what I see... quite the contrary.

RE: Maryland Youth Sports Program Opts Out Of Participation Trophies - Bull_In_Exile - 05-06-2018 12:58 PM

Here is how my kids youth track league handles it..

During the year 1st - 6th ribbons are given in every heat of the match, coaches are told to run their slowest runners in the early heatss

After the last meet medals are given to the teams/individuals that set the fastest three times throughout the season.

RE: Maryland Youth Sports Program Opts Out Of Participation Trophies - Marc Mensa - 05-06-2018 01:23 PM

(05-06-2018 12:58 PM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  Here is how my kids youth track league handles it..

During the year 1st - 6th ribbons are given in every heat of the match, coaches are told to run their slowest runners in the early heatss

After the last meet medals are given to the teams/individuals that set the fastest three times throughout the season.

I’m perfectly fine with it through about age 10-12. These kids don't need to believe “they can’t” at such a young age. Quite frankly, I ser too many being discouraged to play multiple sports because tgey feel they aren’t good enough. Good God, how do you know at 9 whether you have aptitude or ability. Go out and have fun.

RE: Maryland Youth Sports Program Opts Out Of Participation Trophies - EverRespect - 05-06-2018 02:03 PM

(05-06-2018 01:23 PM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  
(05-06-2018 12:58 PM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  Here is how my kids youth track league handles it..

I’m perfectly fine with it through about age 10-12. These kids don't need to believe “they can’t” at such a young age. Quite frankly, I ser too many being discouraged to play multiple sports because tgey feel they aren’t good enough. Good God, how do you know at 9 whether you have aptitude or ability. Go out and have fun.
It is perfectly clear at 9, particularly in basketball and soccer. Football you can grow into certain positions if puberty treats you well. 10-12 is way to old. I am fine with participation trophies up through age 6. It does encourage them to play. Once you hit the 7-8 age group, however, it is time to weed out the dandelion pickers from the kids that want to be there to compete. The separation in talent at that age is pretty sad. It isn't fair to my kid to have to carry a team when half of them don't even want to be there. Even this year at 9-10, there are some sad people on the team, but at least they have a championship this year and at least the poor performers are perfectly content cheering from the bench.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RE: Maryland Youth Sports Program Opts Out Of Participation Trophies - Marc Mensa - 05-06-2018 02:13 PM

(05-06-2018 02:03 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  

It is perfectly clear at 9, particularly in basketball and soccer. Football you can grow into certain positions if puberty treats you well. 10-12 is way to old. I am fine with participation trophies up through age 6. It does encourage them to play. Once you hit the 7-8 age group, however, it is time to weed out the dandelion pickers from the kids that want to be there to compete. The separation in talent at that age is pretty sad. It isn't fair to my kid to have to carry a team when half of them don't even want to be there. Even this year at 9-10, there are some sad people on the team, but at least they have a championship this year and at least the poor performers are perfectly content cheering from the bench.

completely untrue. Until a kid hits puberty, there is no telling where they will land.

if you're worried about a kid carrying a team at 9, then you're the problem. I saw countless kids over the years quit because the sport meant more to their parents then it did to the kid. Sad.

RE: Maryland Youth Sports Program Opts Out Of Participation Trophies - EverRespect - 05-06-2018 02:20 PM

(05-06-2018 02:13 PM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  

completely untrue. Until a kid hits puberty, there is no telling where they will land.

if you're worried about a kid carrying a team at 9, then you're the problem. I saw countless kids over the years quit because the sport meant more to their parents then it did to the kid. Sad.
If the sport means more to the parents than the kids, probably a good decision to quit. I want kids on my team that will show leadership and dig deep to win and have to fight tears when losing. I'd rather have a kid of average talent with team ethos that is emotionally invested than a high talent that doesn't care.

And yes, the kids that did well by kicking and chasing in earlier years have already been weeded out. They stink at 9-10 when there are more players on the field and goaltenders than can catch. Team ball and handling skills are required at this age and wont br acquired with puberty.

RE: Maryland Youth Sports Program Opts Out Of Participation Trophies - Marc Mensa - 05-06-2018 02:53 PM

(05-06-2018 02:20 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  

If the sport means more to the parents than the kids, probably a good decision to quit. I want kids on my team that will show leadership and dig deep to win and have to fight tears when losing. I'd rather have a kid of average talent with team ethos that is emotionally invested than a high talent that doesn't care.

And yes, the kids that did well by kicking and chasing in earlier years have already been weeded out. They stink at 9-10 when there are more players on the field and goaltenders than can catch. Team ball and handling skills are required at this age and wont br acquired with puberty.

As a parent of two boys who have navigated the minefield of youth sports at a major level, and are now playing high school ball, you are simply wrong. As we were going through it, my father, who was a professional athelete, explained to me the absurdity of having my 9 year old playing 50+ ball games per year. I thought he was wrong. What I see now is half the kids who played then are no longer playing... and those weren't dandelion pickers. They are just kids who were dealt a bad hand by mother nature or simply burned out on the sport. Smaller kids tend to dominate at younger ages because their hand eye is usually better. The big goofy kids catch up, though, and the parents who are used to the goofy kids sitting the bench at 9, are dumbfounded when at 14 when the roles reverse.

I think back to a conversation a coach of our Memphis Tiger 10's coach had with me about "mastering after 10,000 hours or repetitions". His son was our shortstop and one of those kids who "had to be on the field". My kid was new at the time and never got off the bench. By 14, my son was playing for the premier program in our area and traveling the southeast, and his son didn't make the high school team. Good kid that just never grew.

Our neighbors down the street had a kid who loved basketball but was thick around the middle in his early years and sat the bench until his 9th grade season in HS. He hit puberty, grew, leaned up and is now the best kid on his HS team and playing AAU summer ball for M33 Elite. Those kids ahead of him at 9 are watching him play now.

I've seen countless examples over the past 10 years.

RE: Maryland Youth Sports Program Opts Out Of Participation Trophies - EverRespect - 05-06-2018 02:55 PM

(05-06-2018 02:53 PM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  
(05-06-2018 01:23 PM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  I’m perfectly fine with it through about age 10-12. These kids don't need to believe “they can’t” at such a young age. Quite frankly, I ser too many being discouraged to play multiple sports because tgey feel they aren’t good enough. Good God, how do you know at 9 whether you have aptitude or ability. Go out and have fun.

As a parent of two boys who have navigated the minefield of youth sports at a major level, and are now playing high school ball, you are simply wrong. As we were going through it, and my father, who was a professional athelete, explained to me the absurdity of having my 9 year old playing 50+ ball games per year, I thought he was wrong. What I see now, is half the kids who played are no longer playing... and those weren't dandelion pickers. They are just kids who were dealt a bad hand by mother nature or simply burned out on the sport. Smaller kids tend to dominate at younger ages because their hand eye is usually better. The big goofy kids catch up, though, and the parents who are used to the goofy kids sitting the bench at 9, are dumbfounded when at 14 when the roles reverse.

I think back to a conversation a coach of our Memphis Tiger 10's coach had with me about mastering after 10,000 hours or repetitions. His son was our shortstop and one of those kids who "had to be on the field". My kid was new at the time and never got off the bench. By 14, my son was playing for the premier program in our area and traveling the southeast, and his son didn't make the high school team. Good kid that just never grew.

Our neighbors down the street had a kid who loved basketball but was thick around the middle in his early years and sat the bench until his 9th grade season in HS. He hit puberty, grew, leaned up and is now the best kid on his HS team and playing AAU summer ball for M33 Elite. Those kids ahead of him at 9 are watching him play now.

I agree with you on the burnout.

RE: Maryland Youth Sports Program Opts Out Of Participation Trophies - Marc Mensa - 05-06-2018 03:05 PM

(05-06-2018 02:55 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(05-06-2018 02:03 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  It is perfectly clear at 9, particularly in basketball and soccer. Football you can grow into certain positions if puberty treats you well. 10-12 is way to old. I am fine with participation trophies up through age 6. It does encourage them to play. Once you hit the 7-8 age group, however, it is time to weed out the dandelion pickers from the kids that want to be there to compete. The separation in talent at that age is pretty sad. It isn't fair to my kid to have to carry a team when half of them don't even want to be there. Even this year at 9-10, there are some sad people on the team, but at least they have a championship this year and at least the poor performers are perfectly content cheering from the bench.

As a parent of two boys who have navigated the minefield of youth sports at a major level, and are now playing high school ball, you are simply wrong. As we were going through it, and my father, who was a professional athelete, explained to me the absurdity of having my 9 year old playing 50+ ball games per year, I thought he was wrong. What I see now, is half the kids who played are no longer playing... and those weren't dandelion pickers. They are just kids who were dealt a bad hand by mother nature or simply burned out on the sport. Smaller kids tend to dominate at younger ages because their hand eye is usually better. The big goofy kids catch up, though, and the parents who are used to the goofy kids sitting the bench at 9, are dumbfounded when at 14 when the roles reverse.

I think back to a conversation a coach of our Memphis Tiger 10's coach had with me about mastering after 10,000 hours or repetitions. His son was our shortstop and one of those kids who "had to be on the field". My kid was new at the time and never got off the bench. By 14, my son was playing for the premier program in our area and traveling the southeast, and his son didn't make the high school team. Good kid that just never grew.

how old are your kids?

RE: Maryland Youth Sports Program Opts Out Of Participation Trophies - Native Georgian - 05-06-2018 03:06 PM

Kids are incredibly perceptive about what’s going on around them. When everybody gets a trophy/medal/whatever, kids immediately realize that the trophies are worthless. “Self-esteem” (or whatever it is the grown-ups were concerned with) is not improved one iota.

RE: Maryland Youth Sports Program Opts Out Of Participation Trophies - EverRespect - 05-06-2018 03:12 PM

(05-06-2018 03:05 PM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  
(05-06-2018 02:13 PM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  completely untrue. Until a kid hits puberty, there is no telling where they will land.

how old are your kids?
My son is 9. I also have two little girls (2.5 and 4 months). We haven't even done travel soccer yet because I don't want him to burnout and because none of the travel kids are getting any better than him just training on his own in the backyard. We are still doing rec soccer spring/fall and basketball summe/winter though sometimes he opts out of basketball and takes a break, which is fine. He is a good basketball player, pure shooter, but doesn't have the genetics (he is average height and I am 5'10" and my wife is 5'7"). He may have a future in soccer. Very talented and extremely high soccer IQ.

RE: Maryland Youth Sports Program Opts Out Of Participation Trophies - EverRespect - 05-06-2018 03:14 PM

(05-06-2018 03:06 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  Kids are incredibly perceptive about what’s going on around them. When everybody gets a trophy/medal/whatever, kids immediately realize that the trophies are worthless. “Self-esteem” (or whatever it is the grown-ups were concerned with) is not improved one iota.
Once you get to a certain age, yes, but the trophy is what got my son to agree to trying it out in the first place at 5 years old. At 9 he wants the championship and everything else is horseshit, but the trophy was an incentive in preschool.

RE: Maryland Youth Sports Program Opts Out Of Participation Trophies - Fort Bend Owl - 05-06-2018 03:15 PM

This is a separate issue but it's something I've observed a lot through the years. And it's something that I think is pretty widespread but I don't believe it's something that has been discussed much in the news.

But I'm convinced that a lot of black families (not exclusive to that race but it just seems more widespread there) are marrying in some cases due to genetics and the possibility of producing athletic, tall children. And it makes sense perhaps that a poorer family might want to pin their future dreams on children who can become super successful athletes and make millions. It still seems to be a huge longshot but I'm not going to say it's a dumb strategy.

I just see a number of ex-athletes marrying tall spouses (even if they aren't incredibly tall themselves) - with the hopes I guess of having a 6-8 to 7-foot basketball player, or the linebacker/linemen types in football.

Again it's not exclusive, and in the cases I see, I don't think it's necessarily the famous or rich athletes doing this (some but not many). In more cases, it's either the more journeyman-type athletes doing this, or maybe someone who wasn't an athlete really at all but they are somewhat tall, and they marry into an athletic family in the hopes of producing future sports stars. Of course, some of this is going to be tall people will marry tall people for the most part, and short marry short. I get that.

Maybe I'm crazy and that's why no one is discussing this. But I still think it's true on some levels.

RE: Maryland Youth Sports Program Opts Out Of Participation Trophies - Marc Mensa - 05-06-2018 03:22 PM

(05-06-2018 03:12 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(05-06-2018 03:05 PM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  
(05-06-2018 02:20 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  If the sport means more to the parents than the kids, probably a good decision to quit. I want kids on my team that will show leadership and dig deep to win and have to fight tears when losing. I'd rather have a kid of average talent with team ethos that is emotionally invested than a high talent that doesn't care.

how old are your kids?
My son is 9. I also have two little girls (2.5 and 4 months). We haven't even done travel soccer yet because I don't want him to burnout and because none of the travel kids are getting any better than him just training on his own in the backyard. We are still doing rec soccer spring/fall and basketball summe/winter though sometimes he opts out of basketball and takes a break, which is fine. He is a good basketball player, pure shooter, but doesn't have the genetics (he is average height and I am 5'10" and my wife is 5'7"). He may have a future in soccer. Very talented and extremely high soccer IQ.

Fun times ahead. I loved watching my boys play and their friends play ball at that age.

Mine are 17 and 15 now.

RE: Maryland Youth Sports Program Opts Out Of Participation Trophies - banker - 05-06-2018 03:58 PM

IMO, kids shouldn't be playing organized team sports until they are 7-8 years old anyway. It's grown because it is yet another form of babysitting service for many parents.

Some see it at "cute", but things like 4-5 year olds playing T-ball is a waste of time. Those kids don't have the motor skills or coordination to make it meaningful in any way. You have the one or two kids on each team that are somewhat physically advanced, but they get nothing out of it either but an outsized ego trip.

RE: Maryland Youth Sports Program Opts Out Of Participation Trophies - shere khan - 05-06-2018 04:17 PM

(05-06-2018 10:31 AM)usmbacker Wrote:  [Image: ilbmhi.jpg]

Trophies are for winning, not for just showing up.

Quote:For years, Reisterstown Baseball has given trophies to its youngest players — those aged 4 through 8 —for showing up.

But before the current season began, the youth league posted a new message on its website for parents of its youngest two divisions: “There will not be any participation trophies or medals handed out.”

“It’s just going back to the thought that you only get a trophy if you win,” said Andy Paladino, commissioner of the program. “I’m not going to change the world. My thoughts were to go back to the past.”

Participation trophies — as much a part of youth sports leagues as orange slices and twisted ankles — still provoke a sharp cultural debate over how best to build kids’ self-esteem. Around Maryland and the across the country, soccer, baseball and other programs are grappling with whether to provide the generic awards, given to all players, no matter the team’s record.

Some parents say they are uplifting and foster a sense of belonging. Others say they illustrate an American tendency to coddle children, promoting narcissism. Pundits mock millennials — those born roughly between 1980 and the mid-2000s — as the “Participation Trophy Generation.”

“Everybody has their own opinions,” said Sara Kessler. Her 6-year-old son, Mason, is among 350 players in Reisterstown Baseball.

Paladino, an investment adviser, said rewarding kids for showing up can lead to lingering feelings of entitlement.

“I would be interested to see how some of these kids who received them in the past are doing at their jobs now,” he said.

Keep reading here

raise a kid the right way and the first time they get a participation trophy it will confuse and embarrass them. ive seen it happen

i dont think its a bad idea to give kids a momento or reward them for effort but a false trophy to make them all feel like winners is ridiculous.

we learn who we are and how to react productively better in defeat than victory.

RE: Maryland Youth Sports Program Opts Out Of Participation Trophies - thespiritof1976 - 05-06-2018 04:23 PM

When I was 8 years old I went to a soccer "camp" that was run by the schools P.E. teacher. At the end of the week, he handed out ribbons to a few of the better players. Of course, I wasn't one. However, they a cake party at the ceremony and even though I didn't get a stupid ribbon I did however get to eat some cake, so it all worked out in the end.

Hell, I was 8 years old and I knew even then that giving me a stupid trophy or ribbon was a joke.

RE: Maryland Youth Sports Program Opts Out Of Participation Trophies - Kaplony - 05-06-2018 05:22 PM

My sons only display the trophies they earned by winning championships or getting a MVP type award. The "participation" trophies went in a box in the attic and eventually my oldest suggested we recycle them by donating them to an athletics council in a neighboring county that was always struggling for money.