CSNbbs
Women's Tennis Makes the NCAA Tournament - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Rice (/forum-444.html)
+----- Thread: Women's Tennis Makes the NCAA Tournament (/thread-849200.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Women's Tennis Makes the NCAA Tournament - Houston Owl - 05-01-2018 04:15 PM

Just announced that Women's Tennis will play Texas A&M in Austin next weekend.

UT is the host and will play McNeese State. Really good news for the ladies.

RE: Women's Tennis Makes the NCAA Tournament - Ranger - 05-01-2018 04:20 PM

(05-01-2018 04:15 PM)Houston Owl Wrote:  Just announced that Women's Tennis will play Texas A&M in Austin next weekend.

All right!!!!!!!!

RE: Women's Tennis Makes the NCAA Tournament - waltgreenberg - 05-01-2018 04:20 PM

Beat me to it! 7th straight NCAA post-season for the ladies. 04-bow

RE: Women's Tennis Makes the NCAA Tournament - dragon2owl - 05-01-2018 04:20 PM

Wow! Didn't think we had enough to make it, let alone be a 3-seed. The streak continues! Go Rice!

RE: Women's Tennis Makes the NCAA Tournament - Houston Owl - 05-01-2018 04:25 PM

We beat Texas A&M in February at Rice.

We are better than we were then and definitely healthier. If we were healthy last week, I think we would have won the C-USA championship.

RE: Women's Tennis Makes the NCAA Tournament - dragon2owl - 05-01-2018 04:36 PM

Rice had 11 (4-7) matches this year vs tournament bound teams.

FIU got a tougher match vs UCF.

RE: Women's Tennis Makes the NCAA Tournament - Houston Owl - 05-01-2018 04:53 PM

First round match vs A&M is scheduled for 10:00 a.m. next Friday (May 11th) in Austin.

RE: Women's Tennis Makes the NCAA Tournament - Almadenmike - 05-01-2018 05:54 PM

Link to NCAA's full bracket: https://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/tennis-women/d1 . (All times given as TBD, though.)

The winner of the Austin 4 (UT, A&M, Rice & McNeese) will face the winner of the Lubbock 4 (Texas Tech, Illinois, Princeton & Army). Tech beat us 4-0 on March 3, but we beat Princeton 6-1 on March 23.

RE: Women's Tennis Makes the NCAA Tournament - dragon2owl - 05-01-2018 06:28 PM

(05-01-2018 05:54 PM)Almadenmike Wrote:  Link to NCAA's full bracket: https://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/tennis-women/d1 . (All times given as TBD, though.)

The winner of the Austin 4 (UT, A&M, Rice & McNeese) will face the winner of the Lubbock 4 (Texas Tech, Illinois, Princeton & Army). Tech beat us 4-0 on March 3, but we beat Princeton 6-1 on March 23.
We also beat McNeese St.

Women's Tennis Makes the NCAA Tournament - chrisc - 05-01-2018 07:25 PM

If we get past A&M, UT will be tough. They're currently #6 in the ITF ratings and have the #1 singles player in the country (and her twin sister!)

They just opened a new tennis facility this year, and it's quite nice. They just hosted the Big 12 championships.

The top row of the stands overlooks Disch-Faulk field. I caught a UT/Stanford tennis match AND (parts of) a UT/ULaLa baseball game earlier this year.

RE: Women's Tennis Makes the NCAA Tournament - Fort Bend Owl - 05-01-2018 08:03 PM

Glad to see one of our teams is continuing its NCAA championship tournament appearance. Sadly I don't have any faith in baseball extending its streak this year.

RE: Women's Tennis Makes the NCAA Tournament - OldOwl - 05-01-2018 09:55 PM

Fantastic! It pays to play a tough non-conference schedule. I was curious did all the Power Five conferences have at least two teams in the tournament like Conf USA? How many did American Athletic conference and the Mountain West Conf have?

RE: Women's Tennis Makes the NCAA Tournament - gsloth - 05-01-2018 10:49 PM

At least Arkansas and their sham-tastic attempt at record stuffing wasn't rewarded.

Every P5 has at least 2 teams, and a quick glance suggests at least 3 for pretty much all of them. AAC has 2, but looks like MWC only has 1.

Congrats to the Lady Owls. And to coach Elizabeth Schmidt, who headed the committee this year and is quoted in the NCAA press release.

RE: Women's Tennis Makes the NCAA Tournament - illiniowl - 05-02-2018 09:58 AM

McNeese -- entire roster from Europe
A&M -- 6/7 of roster from Europe & South America
UT -- all starters are from Europe, S. Africa, Australia (3 Americans on the bench)
Rice -- roster & starters evenly split between USA/CAN & Eur./S. Am./Aus.

RE: Women's Tennis Makes the NCAA Tournament - georgewebb - 05-07-2018 04:46 PM

(05-01-2018 04:15 PM)Houston Owl Wrote:  Just announced that Women's Tennis will play Texas A&M in Austin next weekend.

The Owls face Texas A&M at 10 AM Friday. The winner will play Saturday at noon against the UT-McNeese State winner.

UT is hosting a men's regional on the same dates, with the men's matches starting after the women's matches. The Friday matches are Cal v NC State and Bryant v Texas. But instead of having all the women's matches on courts 1-6 (e.g.) and all the men's matches on courts 7-12, it looks like they are flip-flopping. Anyway, it will be a tennis-palooza in Austin.

Go Owls!

RE: Women's Tennis Makes the NCAA Tournament - dragon2owl - 05-09-2018 04:03 PM

FYI, Arkansas fired women's tennis coach Michael Hegarty after the Razorbacks missed the NCAA Tournament.

RE: Women's Tennis Makes the NCAA Tournament - Houston Owl - 05-09-2018 04:25 PM

I think there was some question regarding the eligibility of some of the players on the Arkansas women's tennis team and there was at least some discussion of the potential forfeit of some matches.

I heard that those issues may have been a factor in his dismissal...more than missing the NCAA tournament.

RE: Women's Tennis Makes the NCAA Tournament - owlforlife - 05-09-2018 04:29 PM

Yes, I heard that the Arkansas coach had a player quit mid-year. Apparently, the coach was also suspended mid-year for some other school violations. I believe the shenanigans with 6 matches in one day was the straw that broke the camels back.

The ITA found that the coach made illegal line-up changes which nullified two of the six matches. He moved a player two spots up in a match when you are only allowed to move a player up one spot per match. All that trouble to mess up on the line-up.

RE: Women's Tennis Makes the NCAA Tournament - owlbeback - 05-11-2018 11:13 AM

Is anyone keeping up with the matches vs A&M? I just checked the stats and it looks like it's going to be a close one: http://sidearmstats.com/texas/wtennis/xlive.htm

Wish I could be there to support!

RE: Women's Tennis Makes the NCAA Tournament - Almadenmike - 05-11-2018 11:16 AM

(05-11-2018 11:13 AM)owlbeback Wrote:  Is anyone keeping up with the matches vs A&M? I just checked the stats and it looks like it's going to be a close one: http://sidearmstats.com/texas/wtennis/xlive.htm

Wish I could be there to support!

A&M won the doubles point decisively ... but in singles, Hodge, Zhang & Haet (#1, #2 & #3) won their first sets, and Durkin (#6) is leading hers, 5-3. We'd need them all for the win.