CSNbbs
Spring football - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - East Team Talk (/forum-463.html)
+----- Forum: Kent State (/forum-474.html)
+----- Thread: Spring football (/thread-848002.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Spring football - cschierh - 04-13-2018 05:52 PM

Spring football game -- which looks to be more of an open practice -- is at 11 Saturday at Dix.

Here's preview from Elton Alexander. Hold the optimism, it says.

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/college/index.ssf/2018/04/kent_state_coach_sean_lewis_be.html

RE: Spring football - goldenflash99 - 04-14-2018 05:57 PM

If anyone made it to the Spring Game please share your thoughts.

RE: Spring football - KSU93 - 04-14-2018 06:47 PM

I am sure we looked great. When D2 players scrimmage against each other they always look good. I am sure Capt Joel missed three varsity events to open the loge and be on the sidelines. The new coach ran out of the locker room and high fived all the players. The crowd of 500 couldn’t believe the new found enthusiasm. Yaaawn!

RE: Spring football - goldenflash99 - 04-14-2018 07:27 PM

(04-14-2018 06:47 PM)KSU93 Wrote:  I am sure we looked great. When D2 players scrimmage against each other they always look good. I am sure Capt Joel missed three varsity events to open the loge and be on the sidelines. The new coach ran out of the locker room and high fived all the players. The crowd of 500 couldn’t believe the new found enthusiasm. Yaaawn!

Anyone with real insight?

RE: Spring football - GFlash68 - 04-14-2018 07:48 PM

Hate to be less than encouraging. The general eye test tells me that the team in general are small for D1 players. Most discouraging is that they look short in statue. Saw no speed burners. Coach has a real job ahead of him.
Bright spot: The coaching staff is energetic as a group and that is a great improvement over the Haynes staff. I just wonder how we could pay the previous coach north of 400K per year and end up with such a lack of size and talent. Did Haynes put forth any effort to recruit? I do not see it.

RE: Spring football - goldenflash99 - 04-15-2018 07:36 AM

(04-14-2018 07:48 PM)GFlash68 Wrote:  Hate to be less than encouraging. The general eye test tells me that the team in general are small for D1 players. Most discouraging is that they look short in statue. Saw no speed burners. Coach has a real job ahead of him.
Bright spot: The coaching staff is energetic as a group and that is a great improvement over the Haynes staff. I just wonder how we could pay the previous coach north of 400K per year and end up with such a lack of size and talent. Did Haynes put forth any effort to recruit? I do not see it.

Thank you. Not surprised to read this at all. The majority of the players Haynes recruited had no other D1 offers besides us. Were there any other early enrollees besides Woody Barrett? And how did they look?

RE: Spring football - Muskrat - 04-15-2018 08:15 AM

What about Mike Carrigan? Was he there? He's a speed burner.

RE: Spring football - axeme - 04-15-2018 09:20 AM

Well, I guess we can be optimistic because things can't possibly be as bad as all this.

RE: Spring football - anti-zip - 04-15-2018 09:26 AM

Your comment on players being short, this was one of my biggest complaints about Haynes. It seemed like every wr he brought in was 5'10" or under. The good news is Lewis landed two 6'3" wrs and one 6'4" wr. So in that regard we're seeing a change. Need some o line size now.

RE: Spring football - thanksjim - 04-15-2018 09:42 AM

Elton Alexander had a article recently about how the recruits KSU have been bigger than the current players. That's pretty telling.

Personally, I am looking for progress this year. I would rather have the program built over time than Hazell's Flash in the pan year. I think it will make it more enjoyable for all parties involved.

RE: Spring football - ilovegymnast - 04-15-2018 10:34 AM

I personally don't care about wins this year. I just want to watch an actual offense. The past 5 years were hard to watch and would take the crowd right out of the game.

RE: Spring football - GFlash68 - 04-15-2018 05:18 PM

Woody Barrett does have a strong arm. He threw into double coverage several times. The receivers were not very open. Heard we only have 7 offensive linemen left on the team. My guess is recruits will play.

RE: Spring football - cschierh - 04-15-2018 07:12 PM

Here's the R-C story on the scrimmage.

http://www.record-courier.com/sports/20180414/flashfast-spring-game-gives-glimpse-of-where-kent-state-football-is-headed

Signing class only had two offensive linemen, both all Staters (from Virginia and Minnesota). 270 and 280 pounds. No doubt there will be walk-ons.

Didn't we lose two starting linemen to grad transfers?

RE: Spring football - GoFlashes7 - 04-15-2018 11:24 PM

(04-15-2018 07:12 PM)cschierh Wrote:  Here's the R-C story on the scrimmage.

http://www.record-courier.com/sports/20180414/flashfast-spring-game-gives-glimpse-of-where-kent-state-football-is-headed

Signing class only had two offensive linemen, both all Staters (from Virginia and Minnesota). 270 and 280 pounds. No doubt there will be walk-ons.

Didn't we lose two starting linemen to grad transfers?

I wasn't at the spring game, but in looking at last years roster vs this years roster in terms of offensive linemen, here is what I see.

On the spring roster:
Bryce Gibbs 6'3" 304lbs
Mike Marinelli 6'3 281lbs
Sam Allen 6'2" 279lbs
Eddie Brecht 6'7" 300lbs
Nate Warnock 6'4 294lbs
Adam Gregoire 6'6" 325lbs
Chase Van Hoef 6'3" 290lbs
Zach Corrigall 6'3" 280lbs

Not on the spring roster, but had eligibility left:
-Davonte James
-Stefano Millin (graduate transfer to Cincinnati, started all 3 seasons @ KSU)
-Connor Shinsky
-Dan Perry (transferred from University of Michigan Wrestling to Kent State football, had 3 years left of eligibility)

Graduated:
Nathan Puthoff

Died in last fall's practice:
Tyler Heintz

Coach Lewis/staff need to bring in 5-7 linemen in the next recruiting class, as there are only 8 scholarship players on the roster and 2 coming in for fall practice.

Per Allen Moff of the Record Courier, Mylik Mitchell needs to handle his off field issues before he can focus on the on field stuff, so that leaves Crum, Barrett, & Phillis @ QB.

Antwan Dixon is back on the roster and at Kent State.

By my unofficial count, Lewis/staff have 4 available scholarships to offer recruits/transfers right now. (I counted 62 scholarship players on the current spring roster including Barrett, which leaves 19 scholarship players coming in the summer/fall from Lewis 1st recruiting class). Hopefully Lewis/staff can secure a graduate transfer or 3 and an under the radar or 2 high school player.

RE: Spring football - cschierh - 04-15-2018 11:55 PM

Nice reporting, GoFlashes7

RE: Spring football - Muskrat - 04-16-2018 05:53 AM

Thanks for all the information, fellows! I see that in regards to my above comment Carrigan did play. I like his speed.

RE: Spring football - pembroke1246 - 04-16-2018 08:30 AM

I was at the game.

It was quite alarming that the offensive line did indeed only have 7 players dressed. Chalfonte Butler, who I thought was our best tight end last year, is now listed as an offensive lineman but 'only' weights 253 according to the roster.

At the beginning of the scrimmage the defense was in the backfield before the plays could even get started. The comments regarding the size and numbers of the offensive line are right on target. It is hard to believe that a D-1 program can be this shallow in this area.

Considering that this is a new offensive strategy I thought both Crum and Barrett looked quite good when they had time to throw.

Rankin is a very nice running back / receiver.

The defense looked good throughout the scrimmages but it's hard to gauge their true effectiveness due to our lack of offensive linemen. Our linebackers look especially small. We have at least 2 safeties who have been converted to linebacker.

I did not see Nick Faulkner and am curious as to his status.

Overall I see this being a several year process of building a team. I would not be surprised at all if we have winless 2018 season.

RE: Spring football - Muskrat - 04-19-2018 05:02 AM

A few days ago GFlash68 noted that the team in general is small for DI players. That is what Dick Crum said about what he inherited when he was hired 30 years ago. So, at least once before this was an issue. I'm fairly confident, though, that the news staff will take care of that.

RE: Spring football - pembroke1246 - 04-23-2018 01:44 PM

Interesting and disturbing perspective from one of our best players over the past 3 years. I'd be interested to hear who 'the administration' he refers to is and what that person's response is to Stefano's comments.

http://www.cantonrep.com/sports/20180423/perry-grad-stefano-millin-looks-to-finish-strong-at-pitt

RE: Spring football - Muskrat - 04-23-2018 02:48 PM

Thanks Pembroke1246. I read that this morning. Good article