CSNbbs
Dan Majerle turns down interview with Phoenix Suns - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: WACbbs (/forum-376.html)
+--- Thread: Dan Majerle turns down interview with Phoenix Suns (/thread-847973.html)

Dan Majerle turns down interview with Phoenix Suns - RandomFan - 04-13-2018 12:38 PM

Quote:Grand Canyon basketball coach Dan Majerle has turned down a request from the Suns to meet about the NBA team's head-coaching vacancy.

"(General Manager) Ryan (McDonough) reached out and asked to meet, but I told him that I was going to stay at Grand Canyon," Majerle said. "I'm not ruling it out in the future. But there are still things I want to do here."

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nba/suns/2018/04/12/gcu-coach-dan-majerle-turns-down-phoenix-suns-interview-request/513393002/

RE: Dan Majerle turns down interview with Phoenix Suns - SoCalBobcat78 - 04-13-2018 02:06 PM

(04-13-2018 12:38 PM)RandomFan Wrote:  
Quote:Grand Canyon basketball coach Dan Majerle has turned down a request from the Suns to meet about the NBA team's head-coaching vacancy.

"(General Manager) Ryan (McDonough) reached out and asked to meet, but I told him that I was going to stay at Grand Canyon," Majerle said. "I'm not ruling it out in the future. But there are still things I want to do here."

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nba/suns/2018/04/12/gcu-coach-dan-majerle-turns-down-phoenix-suns-interview-request/513393002/

This makes sense. He has unfinished business at GCU. The Suns need talent and they need to develop that talent. That will take a few seasons.

RE: Dan Majerle turns down interview with Phoenix Suns - gleadley - 04-13-2018 04:31 PM

Not sure how you can't respect this level of loyalty from Coach Majerle, but I'm sure Aggie fans will find a way. Feel free to prove me wrong, though.

RE: Dan Majerle turns down interview with Phoenix Suns - NotANewbie - 04-13-2018 04:55 PM

(04-13-2018 04:31 PM)gleadley Wrote:  

Not sure how you can't respect this level of loyalty from Coach Majerle, but I'm sure Aggie fans will find a way. Feel free to prove me wrong, though.

No problem really, we are all pretty confident he felt he would be better off at GCU.

RE: Dan Majerle turns down interview with Phoenix Suns - PojoaquePosse - 04-13-2018 11:57 PM

I’m sure he’s making a pretty penny at GCU. No need to move over the the NBA. He’s got a good thing going at GCU. Good on him.

RE: Dan Majerle turns down interview with Phoenix Suns - dancingNMSUaggie - 04-15-2018 12:55 PM

Majerle is smart enough to know he would bomb as an NBA coach. Also, he still dreams of taking GCU to the promise land. I know GCU fans think getting to WAC championship tourney game shows how "close" they were but not really. Over the years Idaho, Seattle and other schools reached the championship game after mediocre regular seasons. GCUs "success" has been stacking the deck with tons of home games vs crappy teams. Beating a crappy UNM team and San Diego State are feathers in cap, but overall Dan and GCU have done nothing to get excited about. Dan is a big whiny crybaby and he better start producing. Colanglo the business man wants results, not 3rd place finishes year in and year out.[/align]

RE: Dan Majerle turns down interview with Phoenix Suns - ProfScott - 04-15-2018 04:42 PM

(04-15-2018 12:55 PM)dancingNMSUaggie Wrote:  Majerle is smart enough to know he would bomb as an NBA coach. Also, he still dreams of taking GCU to the promise land. I know GCU fans think getting to WAC championship tourney game shows how "close" they were but not really. Over the years Idaho, Seattle and other schools reached the championship game after mediocre regular seasons. GCUs "success" has been stacking the deck with tons of home games vs crappy teams. Beating a crappy UNM team and San Diego State are feathers in cap, but overall Dan and GCU have done nothing to get excited about. Dan is a big whiny crybaby and he better start producing. Colanglo the business man wants results, not 3rd place finishes year in and year out.[/align]
Somewhat confused by your reasoning here. First, you state Majerle is 'smart' enough to avoid the NBA and later you state he is a 'whiny crybaby'. You also state GCU has beaten nobody except crappy UNM and San Diego State teams. If GCU has 'only' beaten crappy teams over the years then shouldn't you also included your beloved Aggies on this list since they have lost twice to GCU in the past three years.
Anyways, I agree GCU still has a lot to prove and your beloved Aggies deserve to be king of the hill until someone knocks you off consistently. Enjoy your bravado while you can. I predict in 3-4 years you will likely be singing a different tune as 'whiny' Majerle and his 'crappy' Lopes consistently relegate NMSU to second tier status.

RE: Dan Majerle turns down interview with Phoenix Suns - NMSUPistolPete - 04-15-2018 09:58 PM

(04-15-2018 04:42 PM)ProfScott Wrote:  
(04-15-2018 12:55 PM)dancingNMSUaggie Wrote:  Majerle is smart enough to know he would bomb as an NBA coach. Also, he still dreams of taking GCU to the promise land. I know GCU fans think getting to WAC championship tourney game shows how "close" they were but not really... GCUs "success" has been stacking the deck with tons of home games vs crappy teams... Dan is a big whiny crybaby and he better start producing... [/align]
Somewhat confused by your reasoning here. First, you state Majerle is 'smart' enough to avoid the NBA and later you state he is a 'whiny crybaby'. You also state GCU has beaten nobody except crappy UNM and San Diego State teams. If GCU has 'only' beaten crappy teams over the years then shouldn't you also included your beloved Aggies on this list since they have lost twice to GCU in the past three years.
Anyways, I agree GCU still has a lot to prove and your beloved Aggies deserve to be king of the hill until someone knocks you off consistently. Enjoy your bravado while you can. I predict in 3-4 years you will likely be singing a different tune as 'whiny' Majerle and his 'crappy' Lopes consistently relegate NMSU to second tier status.

The reality is NMSU will always deal with more adversity than GCU. Money is always the issue. NMSU is a victim of its own success. And, our head coaches keep getting snatched away. Within 3-4 years, NMSU program could be trying to stabilize from yet another coaching change. I will give Majerle some credit, he has closed the talent gap between GCU and NMSU with his recent recruiting. Majerle is now signing 3 and 4 star recruits. However, I still feel, NMSU has had three head coaches who were better tacticians than Majerle. In fact, each coaching change at NMSU has been an X's&O's upgrade from the prior Aggie coach. This may not always be the case with potentially another coaching change in the coming years. But for now I think Chris Jans is a better tactician and motivator than Majerle. This recruiting class will be very telling as Majerle tries to inch closer and closer to NMSU; and Jans works to put his own stamp on the Aggie program. If NMSU signs yet another strong class it validates Jans as a recruiter. And, GCU could be denied a championship yet another year. Time might be in GCU's favor. But for now, NMSU has been bucking the odds.

RE: Dan Majerle turns down interview with Phoenix Suns - Raider_Lope - 04-16-2018 12:24 PM

Staying at GCU is the best move for him. They’ll keep him as long as he wants to stay, as he is a local celebrity and household name. His brand likely piques the interest of potential recruits as he went to a mid major, got to the NBA, and made it big time. In other words, he can attest that he knows the way.

Right now he needs to work on some more signature wins and sustaining a high level of competition. Year before last they had more success than this past season. UVU was our best win, and that’s just not going to cut it if Canyon wants to move up in the world.

I don’t think the Suns would be a good fit for Dan right now. Sure he prefers the pro style of play and he would have instant talent upon arrival. There’s less need for skills development. That being said there is more pressure to win. Phoenix isn’t anywhere near ready to make a playoff run. After three mediocre seasons with no playoff visits, it’d be off with his head.