CSNbbs
Hardaway and miller's sons - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: Hardaway and miller's sons (/thread-847628.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Hardaway and miller's sons - Tigergary - 04-07-2018 08:56 PM

Miller is watching his son play tonight. Wonder if penny offers him a scholly. I'm not familiar with his son but could this be troublesome in the future with playing time etc?

RE: Hardaway and miller's sons - memtigbb - 04-07-2018 09:08 PM

I have been told by an AAU coach that both of Miller's sons have potential, they just need to be worked with to reach that potential.

RE: Hardaway and miller's sons - MemphisTigerPawr - 04-07-2018 09:24 PM

They can both bust a trey.

RE: Hardaway and miller's sons - rolexjames - 04-07-2018 10:25 PM

(04-07-2018 09:24 PM)MemphisTigerPawr Wrote:  They can both bust a trey.

They would not be millers if they could not. Plus Mikes oldest son plays with Tony Madlock son.

RE: Hardaway and miller's sons - Tigerx3 - 04-07-2018 10:34 PM

(04-07-2018 08:56 PM)Tigergary Wrote:  Miller is watching his son play tonight. Wonder if penny offers him a scholly. I'm not familiar with his son but could this be troublesome in the future with playing time etc?

Only in the minds of people trying to create conflict.

RE: Hardaway and miller's sons - hongkongtiger - 04-08-2018 07:42 AM

(04-07-2018 10:34 PM)Tigerx3 Wrote:  
(04-07-2018 08:56 PM)Tigergary Wrote:  Miller is watching his son play tonight. Wonder if penny offers him a scholly. I'm not familiar with his son but could this be troublesome in the future with playing time etc?

Only in the minds of people trying to create conflict.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
TRUE DAT!

RE: Hardaway and miller's sons - howboutthemtigers - 04-08-2018 08:32 AM

I have no issue with ANY coach giving their son a scholarship. Even if they’re not worthy of the scholarship. Anyone who has kids would probably agree with me.

RE: Hardaway and miller's sons - mapdude - 04-08-2018 10:11 AM

Just curious....why would Penny take up a scholarship with his son when he can obviously pay his tuition out of pocket and even gets an employee discount if I am not correct?
What benefits does he get for his son being on scholarship than if he was not?

RE: Hardaway and miller's sons - DallasTiger - 04-08-2018 10:35 AM

(04-08-2018 10:11 AM)mapdude Wrote:  Just curious....why would Penny take up a scholarship with his son when he can obviously pay his tuition out of pocket and even gets an employee discount if I am not correct?

I also made mention of this in another thread and the response was that Penny can pull his son's scholarship at a later date if he needs it in order to sign another recruit.

RE: Hardaway and miller's sons - mempho_to_diego - 04-08-2018 11:49 AM

Think McFly, THINK!

RE: Hardaway and miller's sons - Tiger87 - 04-08-2018 09:42 PM

(04-08-2018 10:11 AM)mapdude Wrote:  Just curious....why would Penny take up a scholarship with his son when he can obviously pay his tuition out of pocket and even gets an employee discount if I am not correct?

Doesn't need the scholly right now.
Helps APR - which we desperately need now.
Kid deserves it as much as some on scholly right now.

RE: Hardaway and miller's sons - Julian - 04-08-2018 09:47 PM

(04-08-2018 09:42 PM)Tiger87 Wrote:  

Doesn't need the scholly right now.
Helps APR - which we desperately need now.
Kid deserves it as much as some on scholly right now.

^^This. APR. Simple. He is talented and smart.

RE: Hardaway and miller's sons - memtiger1987 - 04-08-2018 10:07 PM

(04-07-2018 09:08 PM)memtigbb Wrote:  I have been told by an AAU coach that both of Miller's sons have potential, they just need to be worked with to reach that potential.

I’ve seen the younger one (13 year old) play several times. I’ve coached against his teams several times. He seems like a fine young man, but I don’t see potential for college basketball at this time. Lots of things change, he may grow a foot in the next few years. Some of the kids that seem to be sure fire college players don’t grow another inch and stagnate. Hard to predict, but I haven’t seen anything that leads me to believe he’ll be a D1 player. Hope he proves me wrong.

RE: Hardaway and miller's sons - memtigbb - 04-08-2018 10:08 PM

(04-08-2018 10:07 PM)memtiger1987 Wrote:  
(04-07-2018 09:08 PM)memtigbb Wrote:  I have been told by an AAU coach that both of Miller's sons have potential, they just need to be worked with to reach that potential.

I’ve seen the younger one (13 year old) play several times. I’ve coached against his teams several times. He seems like a fine young man, but I don’t see potential for college basketball at this time. Lots of things change, he may grow a foot in the next few years. Some of the kids that seem to be sure fire college players don’t grow another inch and stagnate. Hard to predict, but I haven’t seen anything that leads me to believe he’ll be a D1 player. Hope he proves me wrong.

Considering your very bias slant since it isnt the Tub, I will take the opinion of the AAU coach that I know very well over yours.

RE: Hardaway and miller's sons - memtiger1987 - 04-08-2018 10:22 PM

(04-08-2018 10:08 PM)memtigbb Wrote:  

Considering your very bias slant since it isnt the Tub, I will take the opinion of the AAU coach that I know very well over yours.

Funny! I’ve coached against his team several times. I think his high game was about 8. Your AAU coach needs a new hobby.

Again, I always hope kids succeed. And it’s possible he will. But he’s just not even close to being one of the better players in his age group at this time. Genes are a great thing, and he may grow a lot.

RE: Hardaway and miller's sons - Herff Tiger - 04-08-2018 10:34 PM

(04-08-2018 08:32 AM)howboutthemtigers Wrote:  I have no issue with ANY coach giving their son a scholarship. Even if they’re not worthy of the scholarship. Anyone who has kids would probably agree with me.

Having played on teams in baseball, and then basketball later, from 8 years old to 17 where all but 3 or maybe 4 seasons were on a team with the coach's or asst. coach's son, I would say it was about 75% a negative thing. I can't imagine having a scholarship involved too. Ugh!

(Not saying I disagree with Jayden getting one if there is an empty one open and it will help make-up APR hits from all the transfers the last few years.)

RE: Hardaway and miller's sons - memtigbb - 04-08-2018 10:43 PM

(04-08-2018 10:22 PM)memtiger1987 Wrote:  

Funny! I’ve coached against his team several times. I think his high game was about 8. Your AAU coach needs a new hobby.

Again, I always hope kids succeed. And it’s possible he will. But he’s just not even close to being one of the better players in his age group at this time. Genes are a great thing, and he may grow a lot.

RE: Hardaway and miller's sons - Herff Tiger - 04-08-2018 10:45 PM

This came up a few years ago, and it might have been football, and I think I recall a former player stating that there is a definite advantage to being a scholarship athlete as opposed to one on a full academic ride, even if you're a star player. Of course, as someone stated above, the primary reason in this case could very well be APR.

RE: Hardaway and miller's sons - memtiger1987 - 04-09-2018 06:30 AM

(04-08-2018 10:43 PM)memtigbb Wrote:  
(04-08-2018 10:22 PM)memtiger1987 Wrote:  

Well, then sorry to say, your AAU coach friend is an idiot.

RE: Hardaway and miller's sons - holyterror - 04-09-2018 06:49 AM

(04-08-2018 10:45 PM)Herff Tiger Wrote:  

This came up a few years ago, and it might have been football, and I think I recall a former player stating that there is a definite advantage to being a scholarship athlete as opposed to one on a full academic ride, even if you're a star player. Of course, as someone stated above, the primary reason in this case could very well be APR.

I can tell you it makes a difference to the kid. It's far more prestigious in a young man's world to accept a scholly to play Basketball. And that's true of many kids, not just with Penny's kid, either. It's a badge of honor-it's much better than saying "Dad paid my way through school" or "I got an academic scholarship to go to school."

For those of us in the real world, HOW someone else pays for your education is less important than it is for an 18 year old.

Just my 2 Pennies' worth.