CSNbbs
Who Will Carry The Rock And Can The Running Game Be Successful? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: Who Will Carry The Rock And Can The Running Game Be Successful? (/thread-847533.html)

Who Will Carry The Rock And Can The Running Game Be Successful? - UCGrad1992 - 04-06-2018 09:43 AM

I know many of you felt similar as I did the past couple seasons with Mike Boone...what happened? The dude was talented and had such a big upside but it wasn't fully reached before he graduated. When he came on the scene as a frosh he had a great initial burst and decent open field speed that decreased over the years. I don't know exactly the cause of his decline but was it a combination of nagging injuries, weight gain and poor OL play? Felt bad for him because he was a team leader and great off the field as far as I knew. Anywho...what about this season? Who will carry the rock? Will we feature a back or will it be a combo platter? Can we have more success than last year? Is there a potential diamond in the rough? Here is the RB roster from the Bearcats Athletics web page:

Taylor Boose RB 6-1 212 Jr.
Gerrid Doaks 6-1 225 So.
Michael Warren II 5-11 218 So.
Tavion Thomas 6-2 225 Fr. HS Dayton, Ohio / Dunbar
Ryan Montgomery 5-10 164 Fr. HS Franklin, Ohio / Franklin
Charles McClelland 5-11 185 Fr. HS Homerville, Ga. / Clinch County
Michael Kopaygorodsky 6-0 220 Fr. RS Mason, Ohio / Mason
Alex Dowds 5-11 185 Fr. HS Alexandria, Ky. / Campbell County

As you can see a lot of frosh and a young unit overall. I had to do a "double take" when I saw the Thomas kid's height and weight. Is that a physical specimen or what as a frosh? I know some of you are more in the know on the roster so please give your thoughts and insights.

RE: Who Will Carry The Rock And Can The Running Game Be Successful? - Banter - 04-06-2018 11:46 AM

The Rock never needed carried as he was great in the ring. They just had to build up credible competition for him... ill see myself out.

RE: Who Will Carry The Rock And Can The Running Game Be Successful? - Nobones - 04-06-2018 12:15 PM

Here is my take with no insider info.

Taylor Boose RB 6-1 212 Jr. He will be the backup to Doaks and Warren.
Gerrid Doaks 6-1 225 So. He should be the starter if he is healthy.
Michael Warren II 5-11 218 So. He will get plenty of playing time and be the first to spell Doaks.
Tavion Thomas 6-2 225 Fr. HS Dayton, Ohio / Dunbar He will get every opportunity to get playing time this year.
Ryan Montgomery 5-10 164 Fr. HS Franklin, Ohio / Franklin He is going to RS so he can get his ACL healed right.
Charles McClelland 5-11 185 Fr. HS Homerville, Ga. / Clinch County I think he will be giving a shot but I think he RS or Moves to Slot WR.
Michael Kopaygorodsky 6-0 220 Fr. RS Mason, Ohio / Mason Will only see playing time in a blowout.
Alex Dowds 5-11 185 Fr. HS Alexandria, Ky. / Campbell County He will RS.

RE: Who Will Carry The Rock And Can The Running Game Be Successful? - UCGrad1992 - 04-06-2018 01:04 PM

(04-06-2018 12:15 PM)Nobones Wrote:  Here is my take with no insider info.

Michael Warren II 5-11 218 So. He will get plenty of playing time and be the first to spell Doaks.
Tavion Thomas 6-2 225 Fr. HS Dayton, Ohio / Dunbar He will get every opportunity to get playing time this year.
Ryan Montgomery 5-10 164 Fr. HS Franklin, Ohio / Franklin He is going to RS so he can get his ACL healed right.
Charles McClelland 5-11 185 Fr. HS Homerville, Ga. / Clinch County I think he will be giving a shot but I think he RS or Moves to Slot WR.
Michael Kopaygorodsky 6-0 220 Fr. RS Mason, Ohio / Mason Will only see playing time in a blowout.

Are those redshirts definite or your estimation?

RE: Who Will Carry The Rock And Can The Running Game Be Successful? - JackieTreehorn - 04-06-2018 01:13 PM

Charles McClelland will be playing this year in my estimation, and it won't be at slot receiver.

RE: Who Will Carry The Rock And Can The Running Game Be Successful? - GameTime_21 - 04-06-2018 01:13 PM

Montgomery is going to grayshirt while he rehabs his knee. McClelland is the only guy on the roster that is more of a shifty, change of pace back so while a redshirt is possible, there is a decent chance he finds his way on the field this year. Another thing to keep in mind is that both Doaks and Boose are no contact this spring, so McClelland is getting a heavy load of reps behind Warren. He should be ready if called upon...

RE: Who Will Carry The Rock And Can The Running Game Be Successful? - Racinejake - 04-06-2018 02:05 PM

This feels like as much quality depth (at least talent-wise) as we've had at RB maybe ever. The question is whether our OL will give them enough room.

To the OP who mentioned Boone, it really is a head scratcher what happened to him over the course of his career. Maybe injuries that cost him a step? He was lightning in a bottle as a freshman. Insane burst and looked like the best athlete on the field most games. Just didn't quite have it his last couple seasons for whatever reason. Still a heckuva player for us, though.

RE: Who Will Carry The Rock And Can The Running Game Be Successful? - Nobones - 04-06-2018 06:08 PM

(04-06-2018 01:04 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  
(04-06-2018 12:15 PM)Nobones Wrote:  Here is my take with no insider info.

Are those redshirts definite or your estimation?

92 just estimations. I have no clue. That's just the way I would handle it. Gametime is the one that goes to practice so his incite would be the best to go with.

RE: Who Will Carry The Rock And Can The Running Game Be Successful? - rosewater - 04-06-2018 07:23 PM

(04-06-2018 02:05 PM)Racinejake Wrote:  This feels like as much quality depth (at least talent-wise) as we've had at RB maybe ever. The question is whether our OL will give them enough room.

To the OP who mentioned Boone, it really is a head scratcher what happened to him over the course of his career. Maybe injuries that cost him a step? He was lightning in a bottle as a freshman. Insane burst and looked like the best athlete on the field most games. Just didn't quite have it his last couple seasons for whatever reason. Still a heckuva player for us, though.

Whatever happened to him occurred after the spring game of his soph year. No one could come close to tackling him that day.

RE: Who Will Carry The Rock And Can The Running Game Be Successful? - WalterSobchak - 04-06-2018 08:15 PM

Where in the hell are you jock sniffers getting this information?

RE: Who Will Carry The Rock And Can The Running Game Be Successful? - doss2 - 04-07-2018 12:21 PM

Hopefully whoever does best and no self substitutions, which was the dumbest way of coaching I ever saw.

RE: Who Will Carry The Rock And Can The Running Game Be Successful? - UCGrad1992 - 04-07-2018 06:17 PM

Final rushing stats from the top 4 last season:

Doaks 9 Games/513 Yds/5.9 Avg/2 TDs
Boone 10 Games/463 Yds/4.2 Avg/4 TDs
Warren 12 Games/324 Yds/6.0 Avg/1 TD
Moore 12 Games/312 Yds/3.4 Avg/4 TDs

I didn't remember Warren having that good of an average yards per carry. He also played in all 12 games.