CSNbbs
Groeschen: Will Hayden Moore Hang on to His Job? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: Groeschen: Will Hayden Moore Hang on to His Job? (/thread-847321.html)

Pages: 1 2

Groeschen: Will Hayden Moore Hang on to His Job? - CliftonAve - 04-03-2018 02:47 PM

Good article from the fish wrap.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/college/university-of-cincinnati/2018/04/03/cincinnati-bearcats-football-quarterback-derby-hayden-moore-hang-starting-job/482252002/

Gino Guidugli still holds many University of Cincinnati football passing records, and now he is in charge of the quarterbacks vying for the Bearcats' 2018 quarterback job.

Guidugli joined the UC staff as running backs coach in 2017 and was promoted to quarterbacks coach for 2018. Former Highlands High School star Guidugli, speaking after UC's latest spring practice Tuesday, acknowledged that incumbent senior starter Hayden Moore remains the man to beat.

"Hayden is the one who has the command of the offense," Guidugli said. "He's the one with the game experience. Right now it's his job."

Junior Ross Trail, sophomore Jake Sopko, redshirt freshman Desmond Ridder and true freshman Ben Bryant also are getting their reps in camp.

Trail challenged Moore for the job last summer before suffering an abdominal strain. Moore wound up starting all 12 games, throwing for 2,562 yards (56 percent completion rate), with 20 touchdowns and nine interceptions. Trail appeared in only two games and threw nine passes, completing five for 31 yards (no TDs or interceptions).

Trail started two games in 2016 in the final season of head coach Tommy Tuberville, with Moore, Gunner Kiel and Trail all getting multiple starts in a year of musical-chairs quarterbacks.

The streaky Moore (6-foot-2, 215 pounds) has been the primary quarterback for back-to-back 4-8 seasons for UC, but the Clay, Alabama native remains the Bearcats' best option.

"Last year Hayden Moore took every single snap for this football team, basically, with Ross Trail coming in in a few games," Guidugli said. "I'm really happy with the progression of the two young guys (Sopko, Ridder). Ben, for just being a high school kid just getting here, is picking things up well. He can obviously spin the ball."

There is a sense among sideline observers that the 6-4, 215-pound Ridder (Louisville St. Xavier, Ky.) could be the long-term answer. Guidugli won't tip his hand, but UC coaches like what they have seen.

"Des just being the athlete he is, he just brings something different to our offense when he's in there behind center," Guidugli said.

Guidugli remains a runaway No. 1 on the UC career passing list in yardage (11,453 from 2001-04) and touchdown passes (78), but guess who is likely to move into the No. 2 spot in both categories this season?

That's right. Hayden Moore.

Moore remains best known for his school-record 557-yard passing game against Memphis as a redshirt freshman in 2015, a game Moore did not even start. Moore relieved an injured Gunner Kiel early in the game and also threw four touchdown passes, but UC lost 53-46.

Since then, Moore naturally has accumulated more numbers but UC also mostly has lost. Yet, Moore has pushed his career passing totals to 6,191 yards and 40 touchdowns. Kiel currently is No. 2 in UC history in both passing yards (6,835) and TD passes (56). Assuming good health, Moore this year will surpass Kiel for No. 2 in both categories.

Second-year UC head coach Luke Fickell keeps his players motivated by insisting that every job is an open competition, but Fickell said Tuesday that the quarterback job belongs to Moore until proven otherwise.

"Obviously Hayden is a returning starter, so he has the first dibs," Fickell said. "He's been probably taking more reps with the 'ones' than anybody, but the greatest thing we can do as a program is to continue to create competition.

"What we're trying to do is create that competition even to push Hayden, because each of them have little different skill sets."

At this point in spring ball, UC is not permitting its quarterbacks to do media interviews. The idea is to keep everyone focused and avoid distractions.

"When we get the program really where you want it, there's competition in everything that you do," Fickell said. "Nobody feels like they don't have to get better to be the guy, whether it's a quarterback, offensive line or defensive line. At least right now, we've got one of the deeper positions on the team. There's five guys out here trying to get reps at quarterback."

COUNTING DOWN: UC next will work out Thursday in its practice bubble (8:30 a.m., closed to public). Then comes a closed scrimmage Saturday (11 a.m.) at Paul Brown Stadium. The Bearcats are going to Paul Brown on Saturday because Nippert Stadium has an FC Cincinnati soccer match that night.

UC will close spring drills with an open practice for Bearcats fans on Saturday, April 14 at 11:30 a.m. at Nippert. The final workout will not be a spring "game" as such, but will include some game situations.

-

UC career passing leaders

Yardage

1. Gino Guidugli (2001-04) 11,453

2. Gunner Kiel (2014-16) 6,835

3. Danny McCoin (1984-87) 6,801

4t. Zach Collaros (2008-11) 6,278

4t. Deontey Kenner (1997-2000) 6,278

6. Hayden Moore (2015-present) 6,191

-

Touchdown passes

1. Gino Guidugli (2001-04) 78

2. Gunner Kiel (2014-16) 56

3. Tony Pike (2007-09) 49

4. Hayden Moore (2015-present) 40

5. Danny McCoin (1984-87) 39

RE: Groeschen: Will Hayden Moore Hang on to His Job? - crex043 - 04-03-2018 02:59 PM

I thought everyone here was calling for Trail to transfer. What happened?

RE: Groeschen: Will Hayden Moore Hang on to His Job? - djtothemoney - 04-03-2018 03:23 PM

I think there was a rumor he was going to transfer, but like most things, it was exactly that.

Unfortunately, I don't think the kid has it. He couldn't knock Hayden off last year, and you don't hear his name this year.

RE: Groeschen: Will Hayden Moore Hang on to His Job? - Def Berkkat - 04-03-2018 03:25 PM

I think if anyone was close to taking the starting job, they'd have said it. They didn't.

Ross Trail, welcome to TE or OLB.

RE: Groeschen: Will Hayden Moore Hang on to His Job? - Racinejake - 04-03-2018 03:25 PM

(04-03-2018 02:59 PM)crex043 Wrote:  I thought everyone here was calling for Trail to transfer. What happened?

My guess is that he'll wait until after spring practice to see where he is on the depth chart which is pretty typical.

RE: Groeschen: Will Hayden Moore Hang on to His Job? - UCGrad1992 - 04-03-2018 04:57 PM

Sweet Lord we need strong QB play. Just eliminating the poor decisions/panic throws would be a tremendous start. Also, something else in the arsenal beside the mid to deep out pass.

RE: Groeschen: Will Hayden Moore Hang on to His Job? - dj3600 - 04-03-2018 05:26 PM

I'm not of fan of Moore he has had tons of chances. I would rather see them play one of the young guys even with the growing pains

RE: Groeschen: Will Hayden Moore Hang on to His Job? - RealDeal - 04-03-2018 05:29 PM

On with Lance today Chad said he wouldn't be surprised if Ridder wins the job.

RE: Groeschen: Will Hayden Moore Hang on to His Job? - JackieTreehorn - 04-03-2018 06:10 PM

Jim Kelly said yesterday at the Bearcat faithful luncheon that he felt Hayden Moore was starting to separate himself as the clear #1 at QB.

RE: Groeschen: Will Hayden Moore Hang on to His Job? - Cat-Man - 04-03-2018 06:44 PM

Moore's career stats are not terrible. 40 td's, over 6000 yards (could move into #2 all time), career 123.5 passer rating. With some guys, they kick it into another gear their Senior year and have monster seasons. Maybe Gino can help him get there? He's worth the risk, unless someone knocks their socks off in camp. Especially during this rebuilding phase.

RE: Groeschen: Will Hayden Moore Hang on to His Job? - Recluse1 - 04-03-2018 07:21 PM

He panics and makes a lot of WTF throws. His problems are largely mental and I don't know that they'll be overcome. However, I'm glad to hear there's legitimate competition for the position. I don't expect a lot this year, but if they can keep from embarrassing themselves too much, maybe win half their games, I'll be content.

RE: Groeschen: Will Hayden Moore Hang on to His Job? - bearcatfan - 04-03-2018 07:44 PM

(04-03-2018 04:57 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  Sweet Lord we need strong QB play. Just eliminating the poor decisions/panic throws would be a tremendous start. Also, something else in the arsenal beside the mid to deep out pass.

Yes. If it's going to be Moore he needs to play like a QB with a lot of experience - which he has. He has to make better decisions under fire.

I'd like to not see a repeat of what he did in the SMU game.

RE: Groeschen: Will Hayden Moore Hang on to His Job? - Racinejake - 04-03-2018 08:29 PM

(04-03-2018 06:44 PM)Cat-Man Wrote:  Moore's career stats are not terrible. 40 td's, over 6000 yards (could move into #2 all time), career 123.5 passer rating. With some guys, they kick it into another gear their Senior year and have monster seasons. Maybe Gino can help him get there? He's worth the risk, unless someone knocks their socks off in camp. Especially during this rebuilding phase.

That passer rating is not very good. That gets you just inside the top 100 in the country most years. He's done some good things at times but he's not consistent or efficient.

RE: Groeschen: Will Hayden Moore Hang on to His Job? - bearcatmark - 04-03-2018 08:30 PM

(04-03-2018 07:44 PM)bearcatfan Wrote:  
(04-03-2018 04:57 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  Sweet Lord we need strong QB play. Just eliminating the poor decisions/panic throws would be a tremendous start. Also, something else in the arsenal beside the mid to deep out pass.

Yes. If it's going to be Moore he needs to play like a QB with a lot of experience - which he has. He has to make better decisions under fire.

I think I'm the only person who wasn't that bothered by the smu play. 3rd down trying to make a play when a fg only ties it and our kickers were terrible all year. If a fg was better than a 50 50 proposition I'd have been more upset.

thought that game was lost on our weak end of regulation play calling and our conservative first and second down calls.

RE: Groeschen: Will Hayden Moore Hang on to His Job? - Racinejake - 04-03-2018 08:34 PM

(04-03-2018 08:30 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  
(04-03-2018 07:44 PM)bearcatfan Wrote:  

I think I'm the only person who wasn't that bothered by the smu play. 3rd down trying to make a play when a fg only ties it and our kickers were terrible all year. If a fg was better than a 50 50 proposition I'd have been more upset.

thought that game was lost on our weak end of regulation play calling and our conservative first and second down calls.

And the 4th and 20 something conversion our D allowed in OT

RE: Groeschen: Will Hayden Moore Hang on to His Job? - UCGrad1992 - 04-03-2018 09:14 PM

(04-03-2018 07:21 PM)Recluse1 Wrote:  He panics and makes a lot of WTF throws. His problems are largely mental and I don't know that they'll be overcome. However, I'm glad to hear there's legitimate competition for the position. I don't expect a lot this year, but if they can keep from embarrassing themselves too much, maybe win half their games, I'll be content.

Agree on the competition aspect but I would be shocked if anyone takes the starting job from Hayden to begin the season. I will say the dude is durable but it's the roller coaster ride he takes us on game-to-game that drives me nuts. The "good," the "bad," and the "ugly" Hayden...if he could just get in a rhythm in the first few games and maintain it more consistently it would be fantastic. It keeps being said, just "manage" the game and don't try to do too much. If there is a hint of a pass rush then look out. Maybe some tutelage from Gino can work some magic...

RE: Groeschen: Will Hayden Moore Hang on to His Job? - colohank - 04-03-2018 09:30 PM

Greg Cook

RE: Groeschen: Will Hayden Moore Hang on to His Job? - crex043 - 04-04-2018 08:24 AM

(04-03-2018 09:14 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  
(04-03-2018 07:21 PM)Recluse1 Wrote:  He panics and makes a lot of WTF throws. His problems are largely mental and I don't know that they'll be overcome. However, I'm glad to hear there's legitimate competition for the position. I don't expect a lot this year, but if they can keep from embarrassing themselves too much, maybe win half their games, I'll be content.

Agree on the competition aspect but I would be shocked if anyone takes the starting job from Hayden to begin the season. I will say the dude is durable but it's the roller coaster ride he takes us on game-to-game that drives me nuts. The "good," the "bad," and the "ugly" Hayden...if he could just get in a rhythm in the first few games and maintain it more consistently it would be fantastic. It keeps being said, just "manage" the game and don't try to do too much. If there is a hint of a pass rush then look out. Maybe some tutelage from Gino can work some magic...

In his defense, it's difficult to get into a rhythm when opposing defenses are regularly breathing down your neck within a second or two of the snap.

RE: Groeschen: Will Hayden Moore Hang on to His Job? - UCGrad1992 - 04-04-2018 08:50 AM

(04-04-2018 08:24 AM)crex043 Wrote:  
(04-03-2018 09:14 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  

In his defense, it's difficult to get into a rhythm when opposing defenses are regularly breathing down your neck within a second or two of the snap.

I'll give you that has happened but there are other times he holds onto the ball too long or rushes throws if he feels pressure in the pocket. By pressure I mean not an imminent or immediate sack...he lacks pocket presence or awareness at times.

RE: Groeschen: Will Hayden Moore Hang on to His Job? - dsquare - 04-04-2018 09:26 AM

If we can run the ball, Moore will be a lot better. IF.