CSNbbs
Maine adding ranked choice voting... maybe - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+----- Forum: The Buckley-Vidal No Spin Room (/forum-970.html)
+----- Thread: Maine adding ranked choice voting... maybe (/thread-846893.html)

Maine adding ranked choice voting... maybe - arkstfan - 03-28-2018 08:45 AM

The voters in Maine have approved a measure to have ranked choice voting, the question remains whether they will actually get ranked choice voting.
https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/03/27/paul-lepage-maine-governor-ranked-choice-voting-217715

RE: Maine adding ranked choice voting... maybe - tanqtonic - 03-28-2018 10:52 PM

It would be really fun to combine 'ranked choice' with a 'jungle primary'......

I don't know if it will fly with regards to Federal races within a state. It *might* with Senators (given that the power to elect them was originally vested with the state itself), but it might become real iffy even with that.

For purely state offices, I see no reason why it shouldnt be used heavily. It would make those races very quick, and determinative.

RE: Maine adding ranked choice voting... maybe - arkstfan - 03-29-2018 01:03 PM

(03-28-2018 10:52 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  It would be really fun to combine 'ranked choice' with a 'jungle primary'......

I don't know if it will fly with regards to Federal races within a state. It *might* with Senators (given that the power to elect them was originally vested with the state itself), but it might become real iffy even with that.

For purely state offices, I see no reason why it shouldnt be used heavily. It would make those races very quick, and determinative.

Interesting that Republicans have tended to oppose even though the demographics of who is most likely to not get their vote counted because they don't grasp the concept favors Republicans.

Ranked voting might just be the way to open the door for third parties.

RE: Maine adding ranked choice voting... maybe - Crayton - 10-29-2020 07:09 PM

Necro

Curious to see how it works in the vote for president, particularly if 1 district is “close to” Red. In 2018, the Republican candidate for house lost after 3rd-party voters had their votes switched to the Democrat. Could see the same this year.