CSNbbs
2018 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament DISCUSSION THREAD - **Round 2** - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: 2018 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament DISCUSSION THREAD - **Round 2** (/thread-845918.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

2018 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament DISCUSSION THREAD - **Round 2** - TampaTom - 03-17-2018 07:42 AM

Round 1 is complete. Chaos has risen in the world of college basketball. Unlikely upsets and more rampant than ever, it seems.

Storylines to watch...

SOUTH REGION
  • America East champion UMBC upset #1 overall seed Virginia, and looks to continue its impossible string of dominance versus Kansas State.
  • Many pegged Davidson to upset Kentucky, but the Wildcats advance to take on another dangerous 'mid'-major, the MID-American champion Buffalo Bulls.
  • Missouri Valley champion Loyola-Chicago are 2-0 in the regular season against tournament teams, and are proving their worth. Can they upend SEC blueblood Tennessee?
  • Cincinnati and Nevada struggled and overcame their round 1 opponents. It feels like an easier road to the Final Four for the Bearcats, but can Nevada make the South region even more chaotic?

WEST REGION
  • Xavier closed out strong against scrappy Texas Southern, while Florida State embarrassed Missouri. Will this Big East-ACC collision produce tournament fireworks?
  • Ohio State shut up plenty of haters against the Summit League champs, while Gonzaga raised many red flags against UNCG. Are we looking at a surprising Big Ten run?
  • Houston and Michigan both are looking to reignite the basketball lores of their pasts. Phi Jamma Slamma or the Fab Five?
  • Texas A&M and North Carolina overcame a couple nerve-wracking matchups, but will the defending champions continue to survive and advance under the pressure?

EAST REGION
  • Alabama is about to face their toughest test. Are they for real, or will Villanova roll over the tide as expected?
  • The 'Capital Classic' is BACK. West Virginia wants nothing to do with the Herd. Marshall just wants to play their rival school. A must watch game!
  • We are not playing football, Florida and Texas Tech face one another as two well-rounded teams with massive potential. Will the SEC continue their victory trend?
  • This tournament seems designed to allow for the rebirth of local rivalries. Butler, once Cinderella, now a major player in basketball. Purdue, also from Indiana, has been electric all year. Another must watch game!

MIDWEST REGION
  • Kansas got a scare from Ivy League champion Penn, while Seton Hall stumbled its way past NC State. Can either of these teams shape up and play a complete game, start-to-finish?
  • Clemson defies the brackets and does not falter to upset-favorite NMSU, while Auburn struggled to close out Charleston. Can Clemson build on their strong performance and stymie the SEC regular season champion?
  • Syracuse could be yet another First Four team to advance to the Sweet Sixteen, but Michigan State is powerful and deep. Is scurvy in store for the Spartans?
  • Rhode Island was taken to overtime in the first Round 1 game of the tournament, while Duke was coasting. This game looms large for the Rams, but can the Atlantic 10 defeat this ACC titan?

RE: 2018 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament DISCUSSION THREAD - **Round 2** - IWokeUpLikeThis - 03-17-2018 10:12 AM

Round 1 we had the Marshall Bowl. Round 2 we have the War for West Virginia.

RE: 2018 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament DISCUSSION THREAD - **Round 2** - ken d - 03-17-2018 10:15 AM

For me, this first weekend is when the real tournament starts. The pretenders have been culled out and the field is strong.

Remaining teams by conference:

SEC....6
ACC....5
B12....4
B1G....4
BE......4
AAC....2
AEAS..1
A10....1
CUSA..1
MAC...1
MWC..1
MVC...1
WCC..1
PAC...0

RE: 2018 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament DISCUSSION THREAD - **Round 2** - TampaTom - 03-17-2018 10:23 AM

(03-17-2018 10:15 AM)ken d Wrote:  For me, this first weekend is when the real tournament starts. The pretenders have been culled out and the field is strong.

Remaining teams by conference:

SEC....6
ACC....5
B12....4
B1G....4
BE......4
AAC....2
AEAS..1
A10....1
CUSA..1
MAC...1
MWC..1
MVC...1
WCC..1
PAC...0

We could potentially see up to 4 SEC teams fall, 1 ACC team fall, 2 Big 12 teams fall, 2 Big Ten teams falls, 2 Big East teams fall, or 1 American team fall.

Going to be a crazy day.

RE: 2018 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament DISCUSSION THREAD - **Round 2** - RandomFan - 03-17-2018 01:17 PM

Villanova blows out Alabama with 17 3s.

RE: 2018 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament DISCUSSION THREAD - **Round 2** - stever20 - 03-17-2018 11:24 PM

why in the hell do coaches still don't cover the inbounds pass on late game situations?

RE: 2018 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament DISCUSSION THREAD - **Round 2** - MWC Tex - 03-17-2018 11:24 PM

Wolverine!!

Down goes Houston last second shot.

Not making free throws killed them.

RE: 2018 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament DISCUSSION THREAD - **Round 2** - stever20 - 03-17-2018 11:42 PM

one thing interesting just saw-
Teams are shooting 68% from the FT line in the NCAA Tournament. Teams had been shooting 71% in all D-I games as of Selection Sunday.

RE: 2018 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament DISCUSSION THREAD - **Round 2** - C2__ - 03-18-2018 12:20 AM

(03-17-2018 11:24 PM)stever20 Wrote:  why in the hell do coaches still don't cover the inbounds pass on late game situations?

Sampson did against SDSU and probably should have lost, as they did a Christian Laettner and he nearly made a 3. This time, they made an improbable shot that you take your chances with.

RE: 2018 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament DISCUSSION THREAD - **Round 2** - C2__ - 03-18-2018 12:23 AM

(03-17-2018 11:24 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  Wolverine!!

I remember thinking at the time that all he had to do was hit one. Just one would have guaranteed overtime. They missed 3 ft's in the final 30 seconds. There's your game.

RE: 2018 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament DISCUSSION THREAD - **Round 2** - ken d - 03-18-2018 07:53 AM

(03-17-2018 11:42 PM)stever20 Wrote:  one thing interesting just saw-
Teams are shooting 68% from the FT line in the NCAA Tournament. Teams had been shooting 71% in all D-I games as of Selection Sunday.

I wonder how that compares with other years. Is it the tournament pressure, or do we just have too small a sample size so far to tell?

RE: 2018 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament DISCUSSION THREAD - **Round 2** - IWokeUpLikeThis - 03-18-2018 07:57 AM

Marshall/West Virginia to go to the Sweet 16 is surreal. Reminds me when we nearly had VCU/Richmond to go to the Final 4. Too bad it’s in San Diego and not Pittsburgh.

RE: 2018 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament DISCUSSION THREAD - **Round 2** - bullet - 03-18-2018 08:35 AM

(03-18-2018 12:23 AM)_C2_ Wrote:  
(03-17-2018 11:24 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  Wolverine!!

I remember thinking at the time that all he had to do was hit one. Just one would have guaranteed overtime. They missed 3 ft's in the final 30 seconds. There's your game.

And the ticky tack fouls called on Houston the last 10 minutes that kept Michigan in range. Announcers seemed determined to jinx him, talking constantly about how much better that guy (Davis?) was shooting than usual. I think he still hit 9 of 12 for the game, which was better than his average. But only 1 of his last 4.

RE: 2018 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament DISCUSSION THREAD - **Round 2** - The Cutter of Bish - 03-18-2018 08:38 AM

(03-18-2018 07:53 AM)ken d Wrote:  

I wonder how that compares with other years. Is it the tournament pressure, or do we just have too small a sample size so far to tell?

I don't know...shooting from the line has just been awful. Sample size might only accentuate that so far, but, yikes. Rhode Island alone really stunk it up.

It does appear, though, that teams were going fewer times to line up until each half's conclusion. I think that comes with everyone taking the 3.

RE: 2018 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament DISCUSSION THREAD - **Round 2** - bullet - 03-18-2018 08:40 AM

(03-18-2018 08:38 AM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  
(03-18-2018 07:53 AM)ken d Wrote:  

I don't know...shooting from the line has just been awful. Sample size might only accentuate that so far, but, yikes. Rhode Island alone really stunk it up.

It does appear, though, that teams were going fewer times to line up until each half's conclusion. I think that comes with everyone taking the 3.

Everybody plays the same offense. Another reason to move the 3 to international range.

RE: 2018 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament DISCUSSION THREAD - **Round 2** - bullet - 03-18-2018 08:41 AM

Hardly anybody takes mid-range jumpers. They just don't make mathematical sense.

RE: 2018 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament DISCUSSION THREAD - **Round 2** - quo vadis - 03-18-2018 09:19 AM

I was rooting for Michigan, but really felt bad for Houston at the end. Missing those FTs AND giving up the long shot all within a few seconds, don't wish that on anyone except Syracuse, LOL.

RE: 2018 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament DISCUSSION THREAD - **Round 2** - The Cutter of Bish - 03-18-2018 10:08 AM

(03-18-2018 08:41 AM)bullet Wrote:  Hardly anybody takes mid-range jumpers. They just don't make mathematical sense.

I'm noticing this, too. If you're going to make a jump-shot, why bother if you're not in the lane...the 3 isn't that much further out. Whether you shoot in within or beyond the line, nobody's going to be in the paint to rebound it, so, let it rain, I guess?

I've watched Villanova a few times this season. They aren't a perfect team, but I've noticed a shaken confidence when playing aggressively; they simply don't get the calls. I thought this was a Big East thing, but, after watching Championship Week, and this opening round, it seems D1-wide.

Contacts are liberally called. Drive for the lane, and body contact is likely to be called. Reach in for the ball and just miss it, and hit the hand a bit, and you get some benefit of the doubt. But, when guys go nuts and try for a steal, it's about as ugly as anything...quite literally a scrum that can go either way: jump ball or personal foul, but, contact with the ball-handler isn't immediately called. Don't allow yourself to get crowded by defenders, and pass it around the arc and then shoot.

It's also getting a little tiresome what is being called a charge now. And if you don't know, why bother aggressively driving to the rim? Again, take the 3.

I'm starting to get bored with college ball. The tournament used to be this expo of different playing styles. It's becoming such a one-dimensional game. I blame CBS' coverage for some of that...the game stops too frequently, so momentum has to be short and fast. But, officiating has its hand in this, too. It's boring. It shouldn't be, but every game looks about the same.

RE: 2018 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament DISCUSSION THREAD - **Round 2** - quo vadis - 03-18-2018 01:40 PM

(03-18-2018 08:41 AM)bullet Wrote:  Hardly anybody takes mid-range jumpers. They just don't make mathematical sense.

That's definitely the coaching mantra. Heck, it's been around since the 1980s, when Magic Johnson used to break Lakers huddles with an admonishment of "no jump shots!" in key situations, meaning either drive the lane for a dunk or foul, or launch a three.

But it's easier said than done. Some coaches have really trained their teams to play that way, but many others have not.

RE: 2018 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament DISCUSSION THREAD - **Round 2** - stever20 - 03-18-2018 01:46 PM

Purdue and Houston in similar situations late game.

Purdue covered inbounder
Houston didn't

Purdue advanced
Houston didn't