CSNbbs
2018-19 SOCON off-season superthread - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SoConbbs (/forum-266.html)
+---- Forum: SoCon Team Talk (/forum-944.html)
+----- Forum: ETSU (/forum-335.html)
+------ Forum: Buc Basketball (/forum-339.html)
+------ Thread: 2018-19 SOCON off-season superthread (/thread-844873.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

2018-19 SOCON off-season superthread - Bucfaithful - 03-08-2018 11:28 AM

To stick with convention, I start the annual catch-all thread for off-season news about SOCON basketball teams.

Minutes after the season, Samford looks to be imploding. First Wyatt Walker announces his plan to transfer, and now Triston Chambers follows suit: https://twitter.com/TaiYoungHoops/status/971510269934522368

There's something going on in Birmingham.

RE: 2018-19 SOCON off-season superthread - BigIslandBuc - 03-08-2018 11:52 AM

(03-08-2018 11:28 AM)Bucfaithful Wrote:  To stick with convention, I start the annual catch-all thread for off-season news about SOCON basketball teams.

Minutes after the season, Samford looks to be imploding. First Wyatt Walker announces his plan to transfer, and now Triston Chambers follows suit: https://twitter.com/TaiYoungHoops/status/971510269934522368

There's something going on in Birmingham.

I have been thinking about this for a couple of days since the news of Walker's leaving Samford. Would Coach Forbes consider contacting him and how much of a gamble would Walker be considering his medical history. I hadn't meant to bring this up as I am sure there would be some consideration that Forbes would be "poaching" on a fellow conference mate, but with the news of another player leaving Samford does that alter the equation. If Padgett is having problems running his program in a harmonious fashion, why should ETSU not be allowed to profit from his mistakes. For my part, I don't believe that Forbes would do it, coaching fraternity and all that. But I think it makes for an interesting discussion.

RE: 2018-19 SOCON off-season superthread - swvabucsfan - 03-08-2018 12:14 PM

I'd think that a real change of scenery might be best for all concerned. Sounds like Samford has both a chronic problem keeping talent, and an acute problem with the current team. Don't think the risk of importing problems is worth it.

RE: 2018-19 SOCON off-season superthread - FUATT - 03-08-2018 12:54 PM

I am not sure if it is has been mentioned here but supposedly Walker will graduate early and be able to play right away at his new school AND will have two years of eligibility. Schools can usually block players from transferring to some schools. You would expect Samford to prevent him from going to another SoCon member or to UAB (as a city rival.)

As a grad transfer he might aim for ACC or SEC level school.

RE: 2018-19 SOCON off-season superthread - shampoo - 03-08-2018 03:02 PM

Serious question...does Walker actually have the athleticism to go to a bigger conference? Sure, he’s got some moves, but I feel like he’d get dominated by a league with athletic post players.

RE: 2018-19 SOCON off-season superthread - etsubuc - 03-08-2018 03:48 PM

(03-08-2018 03:02 PM)shampoo Wrote:  Serious question...does Walker actually have the athleticism to go to a bigger conference? Sure, he’s got some moves, but I feel like he’d get dominated by a league with athletic post players.

I agree. I think he could go to a "bigger" conference, but not to the power conferences.

RE: 2018-19 SOCON off-season superthread - Bucfaithful - 03-08-2018 04:34 PM

VMI's Armani Branch announced his plans to transfer. Branch redshirted this season due to injury and has one season remaining, eligible immediately. He averaged 8 & 3.5 his junior season.

RE: 2018-19 SOCON off-season superthread - FUATT - 03-10-2018 12:50 AM

(03-08-2018 03:48 PM)etsubuc Wrote:  
(03-08-2018 03:02 PM)shampoo Wrote:  Serious question...does Walker actually have the athleticism to go to a bigger conference? Sure, he’s got some moves, but I feel like he’d get dominated by a league with athletic post players.

I agree. I think he could go to a "bigger" conference, but not to the power conferences.

Going to the ACC or SEC doesn't mean just Duke or Kentucky. There are multiple teams where he could be a serious contributor.

Look at the examples of a couple of other transfers. DeSean Murray was THE star at Presbyterian two years ago. This year at Auburn his scoring was less as you would expect but he still averaged double figures. His rebounding was almost the same despite playing 6 minutes less per game and other stats such as assists, blocked shots, and turnover rate were better at Auburn than PC. Canyon Barry went to Florida as a grad transfer from College of Charleston and was the second leading scorer on the team last year.

RE: 2018-19 SOCON off-season superthread - BigIslandBuc - 03-15-2018 02:43 PM

UNCG loses in a squeaker to Gonzaga, largely due to a dumb foul in the last few seconds by Alonzo. My question, however, is how did Gonzaga get a 4 seed? This is not to say that UNCG didn't play decently (slow, solid, plodding but decent). I haven't seen Gonzaga play this year (East Coast go to bed early bias), but if today was an example, somebody is living off past resumes. I'm not saying they shouldn't be in the tournament, but a 4 seed.[/b]

RE: 2018-19 SOCON off-season superthread - Flippmb - 03-15-2018 03:07 PM

I blame Wes Miller (who I lauded in another thread). With 1:04 remaining, plenty of time on the shot clock, and the Spartans up by 2 with the ball, Miller called for an ill-advised, low-percentage, 25-foot lob pass to James Dickey. The pass went out of bounds.

That was a bone-headed coaching call.

Demetrius Troy, who hit clutch shot, after clutch shot, in the 2nd half, made the ill-advised pass. After Gonzaga subsequently tied the game, the Spartans seemed to go into panic mode. After Gonzaga scored to go ahead, Francis Alonso (who also hit clutch shot, after clutch shot) made his dumb foul — an obvious push-off on offense, right in front of the referee.

Still, UNCG played a great second half. And Troy, Dickey, and Alonso will all be back for 2018-19. The Spartans will be tough again next year.

RE: 2018-19 SOCON off-season superthread - RodShaw2 - 03-15-2018 04:40 PM

(03-15-2018 02:43 PM)BigIslandBuc Wrote:  UNCG loses in a squeaker to Gonzaga, largely due to a dumb foul in the last few seconds by Alonzo. My question, however, is how did Gonzaga get a 4 seed? This is not to say that UNCG didn't play decently (slow, solid, plodding but decent). I haven't seen Gonzaga play this year (East Coast go to bed early bias), but if today was an example, somebody is living off past resumes. I'm not saying they shouldn't be in the tournament, but a 4 seed.[/b]

Well they were ranked 8th in the country so 4 seed is low for that 30-4 record RPI in the low 20's.

ETSU almost beat a #1 seed.. does that mean Xavier got ranked too high?

RE: 2018-19 SOCON off-season superthread - BucFan1244 - 03-15-2018 05:15 PM

(03-15-2018 02:43 PM)BigIslandBuc Wrote:  UNCG loses in a squeaker to Gonzaga, largely due to a dumb foul in the last few seconds by Alonzo. My question, however, is how did Gonzaga get a 4 seed? This is not to say that UNCG didn't play decently (slow, solid, plodding but decent). I haven't seen Gonzaga play this year (East Coast go to bed early bias), but if today was an example, somebody is living off past resumes. I'm not saying they shouldn't be in the tournament, but a 4 seed.[/b]
They looked a lot better in their other games. I watched a few of theur games this season and today wasnt how they usually are.

RE: 2018-19 SOCON off-season superthread - brock20 - 03-15-2018 07:23 PM

(03-15-2018 05:15 PM)BucFan1244 Wrote:  
They looked a lot better in their other games. I watched a few of theur games this season and today wasnt how they usually are.

I had seen Gonzaga a few times this year and thought they were very tough. I thought UNCG got a tough draw. If anything this game showed that UNCG had a pretty good team this year.

RE: 2018-19 SOCON off-season superthread - Bucfaithful - 03-16-2018 05:51 AM

With Alonso and Dickey returning next season, surely UNCG will be a (if not THE) preseason favorite to win the league. Nevertheless, I think losing Kuiper & Marvin Smith, especially Kuiper, who seems to be the glue, will affect them significantly.

RE: 2018-19 SOCON off-season superthread - swvabucsfan - 03-16-2018 08:18 AM

(03-16-2018 05:51 AM)Bucfaithful Wrote:  With Alonso and Dickey returning next season, surely UNCG will be a (if not THE) preseason favorite to win the league. Nevertheless, I think losing Kuiper & Marvin Smith, especially Kuiper, who seems to be the glue, will affect them significantly.

UNCG has a significant addition in the middle in 6-9 250 transfer Eric Hamilton from Wichita State. He replaces Kuiper's bulk and muscle, but probably not his shooting. In 2 years at Wichita State he saw limited time getting 2.2 points and 1.5 rebounds, but won the team slam dunk contest twice! But they have no replacement for the underrated 6-6 Marvin Smith, their second leading scorer and rebounder.

UNCG's vulnerability to Wofford was on display in the SoCon. Wofford returns most everyone (Derrick Brooks graduates). Slim 6-9 Charleston transfer Chevez Goodman becomes eligible. Key to their progress may be the health of Cam Jackson who at times seemed slowed by leg problems at the end.

RE: 2018-19 SOCON off-season superthread - FUATT - 03-16-2018 02:26 PM

UNCG will be even bigger inside next year. Besides Hamilton they signed Mohammed Abdulsalam who is listed at 6'8" 268 and had offers from several P5 schools according to Verbal Commits. I suspect he was more of a backup offer type of player from some of those schools, but he is a bruiser.

RE: 2018-19 SOCON off-season superthread - Bucfaithful - 03-21-2018 05:38 AM

Mocs land a commitment from 6'7" swingman, Keigan Kerby.
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/college/story/2018/mar/21/keigkermassachusetts-commits-basketball-mocs/466458/

RE: 2018-19 SOCON off-season superthread - seagrove10 - 03-21-2018 12:40 PM

Article in Charleston paper this morning says Frankie Johnson is leaving the Citadel. He was quoted as saying "just not happy here" (at Citadel).

Same article also announced a verbal commit from 6-9 Dimitri Georgiadis from a military prep school in Richmond, VA.

RE: 2018-19 SOCON off-season superthread - swvabucsfan - 03-21-2018 04:25 PM

(03-21-2018 12:40 PM)seagrove10 Wrote:  Article in Charleston paper this morning says Frankie Johnson is leaving the Citadel. He was quoted as saying "just not happy here" (at Citadel).

Same article also announced a verbal commit from 6-9 Dimitri Georgiadis from a military prep school in Richmond, VA.

Citadel has always been a hard sell for athletes. Pat Conroy (Prince of Tides, The Great Santini) wrote one of my all time favorite sport's books about his senior year as starting point guard at the Citadel in 1966-67 called "My Losing Season". It's a terrific read chock full of color about the old SoCon and old school basketball. Anybody that loves basketball or the SoCon would enjoy this one.

Like his relationship with his father, Conroy had a love/hate relationship with the Citadel. It was never meant to be an easy place for athletes - it's main mission is elsewhere - and it still is.

RE: 2018-19 SOCON off-season superthread - Bucs06 - 03-21-2018 04:47 PM

SIAP but Fletcher Magee has declared for the NBA draft. He isn’t going to hire an agent so he can return to school if the NBA doesn’t work out.