CSNbbs
Louis Rowe performance appraisal - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+----- Thread: Louis Rowe performance appraisal (/thread-844476.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

Louis Rowe performance appraisal - Hart Foundation - 03-04-2018 02:55 PM

We know each coach gets a formal performance appraisal after each season in a sit down session with Bourne.
How would you rate each of his first 2 seasons based on the measurables?

Just trying to get a sense of public opinion from the remaining fanbase. Your ratings will be interesting, but I think your insight on why you gave the ratings will be more interesting. We don’t get to see the exact performance expectation metrics that are on paper, but should be able to figure them out and prioritize them pretty easily with a weighted contribution.

Standard performance appraisals for Fortune 500 companies use a 5 point scale with one being the worst and 5 being the best. Half points are not allowed.

1 - Performance was consistently below expectations in most essential areas of responsibility, and/or reasonable progress toward critical goals was not made. Significant improvement is needed in one or more important areas. A plan to correct performance, including timelines, must be outlined and monitored to measure progress.

2 - Performance did not consistently meet expectations – performance failed to meet expectations in one or more essential areas of responsibility, and/or one or more of the most critical goals were not met. A professional development plan to improve performance must be attached, including timelines, and monitored to measure progress

3 - Performance consistently met expectations in all essential areas of responsibility, at times possibly exceeding expectations, and the quality of work overall was very good. The most critical annual goals were met.

4 - Performance consistently exceeded expectations in all essential areas of responsibility, and the quality of work overall was excellent. Annual goals were met.

5 - Performance far exceeded expectations due to exceptionally high quality of work performed in all essential areas of responsibility, resulting in an overall quality of work that was superior; and either 1) included the completion of a major goal, or 2) made an exceptional or unique contribution in support of objectives.

RE: Louis Rowe performance appraisal - jmufan2008 - 03-04-2018 04:00 PM

2 for me. His saving grace from not getting a 1 is his recruiting. The freshmen look like they could be a standout group. Coaching and having the players play to their potential (not even above their potential as a group) was embarrassing. I usually all for giving a coach 3 years to see how things work, but if we don't hire a new assistant that is an expert in the X's and O's, I wouldn't mind him being gone. I'd hate to lose another year of them playing like this when there's so much talent there. I really want him to do well, but 10-23 and 10-22 is abysmal. We only got blown out a few times this year, but we also never put teams away (other than Bridgewater, a D3 school).

In his second shot in the CAA tourney, his team had a streak of 16+ straight misses from the field when they were leading in the second half. He couldn't come up with one good offense set in that entire span. Some of that's on the players for not executing on the few good looks they got, but most of that period they were just running around hoping to get open. It was a microcosm of the season. We had the opportunity to put Drexel away and down the stretch forgot it was a team sport and there was no help from the coaching staff. We were on the cusp of our talent making up for lack of coaching to get us to 20+ wins and probably a shot in the quarter or semifinals this year. There's no more opportunity to blame this on not having the talent. I know Coach Rowe is trying his hardest and would give anything to get those wins, but either head coaching isn't his thing or he needs a few more years behind a really good head coach before making that jump.

It's almost guaranteed he'll get another year and if anything we'll wait until we're ready to move into the new arena before finding a new coach.

RE: Louis Rowe performance appraisal - NJDuke97 - 03-04-2018 04:06 PM

If looking for a comp where a mid major coach was fired after 3 seasons- Dan McHale of Eastern Kentucky is one. While McHale had no connection to the school when hired he was part of the Pitino coaching tree legacy- Rick at Kentucky, Richard at Minnesota, Kevin Willard in between at Iona and Seton Hall. His teams at EKU declined in wins/performance each year and earlier this season he lost one of their better players to transfer (I believe he since landed at Iona). FWIW the college hoops media was surprised that he was fired after only 3 seasons but that's your precedent. Keep in mind he wasn't an EKU alum. I believe Rowe will get 4 seasons at JMU but I agree that he should only get 3 if we are sitting here this time next year with a similar outcome. That said, I believe this team has too much returning talent and ability to not get over the hump and start winning next season. Despite how we feel today I feel that good days are ahead.

Take solace in this tweet from Matt Lewis (retweeted by Darius Banks the other JMU all rookie performer). Reminder that today recruiting is as much about keeping good kids at your school as it is about getting good kids to come to your school.

Matt Lewis‏ @matyyl_ · 3h3 hours ago

Freshman Campaign✅ It was an exciting year and wouldn’t have done it anywhere else?Made history and improved everyday thanks to my teammates and coaches. We didn’t get what we wanted but know we’ll be back better and stronger than ever‼️ #godukes #uno #foreverunderrated

RE: Louis Rowe performance appraisal - JMUETC - 03-04-2018 04:24 PM

I somehow lived through the Keener years. That was the point at which my fandom disappeared. I have never fully recovered from the feeling that when you went to a game during the Keener years that the team wasn’t even competitive. The only sporting event I have ever left early was a Keener coached JMU basketball game.

That said, I was not a fan of the Lou Rowe hiring although I am rooting for him very hard. I am encouraged by the fact that this team is in games until the very end. If I ever choose to go to another game it will be with the understanding that they will compete and maybe squeeze out a win. I like that.

I will give him a 2, but I am really okay with the results as long as the build on it.

RE: Louis Rowe performance appraisal - tribe_transfer - 03-04-2018 04:50 PM

Hard to argue more than a 2. That being said, the team lost a number of one possession games and the record wouldn't look quite as bad with a few bounces. I'm sure many would debate that losing close games is a testament to bad coaching, but it could equally be blamed on youth and inexperience. Next year will pretty clear show the direction the program is headed for better or worse. The staff need to retain the freshman class and add 2-3 quality players to the team for depth this offseason. The returning freshmen should have a good idea of where to develop physically and skill-wise to turn this thing around. If any of the frosh transfer and/or the team continues to drop one possession games into next season, it seems likely to me that the AD would start looking for a bigger splash hire to open the new arena with in 2020.

RE: Louis Rowe performance appraisal - HyperDuke - 03-04-2018 05:14 PM

Not sure what number to assign. Looking forward, I would suspect he has two more seasons to prove he can get it done.

For the record, I feel like he should go before the tourney next season if we're sitting in the same position as the last two seasons. Unless JMU has a cheap buyout option, the precedent is not there to buyout two years of a contract. The arena timetable does throw a twist into the precedent, but I'm skeptical we fire Rowe before the end of Year 4.

RE: Louis Rowe performance appraisal - JMU_Rocks! - 03-04-2018 07:50 PM

Guess Hart was also writing performance reviews this weekend too.

3 - Performance consistently met expectations in all essential areas of responsibility, at times possibly exceeding expectations, and the quality of work overall was very good. The most critical annual goals were met.

Expectations:
1) Regular season W/L has not been the overriding measure for a JMU MBB coach. (20 wins and lose before the CAA semis and no-show in a pay to play tourney doesn't measure much different than 10 wins with several poor games at the end of the season including the CAA tourney).
2) Recruiting vs. transfers. HCLR has done a pretty good job in bringing in transfers and talented freshman who contribute. He has suffered some short-term wins, to balance classes and shape a team to his style.
3) Retention & player conduct. It appears HCLR is doing well for this measure. I don't recall him calling players out or having conduct issues over the past few years.
4) Player development. With small sample sizes, it does appear players are tuning their game and improving.
5) Engagement (seems to be a JMU hot-button) - HCLR is connecting more effectively with the team, if he is helping with fundraising and connecting in the valley that is critical.
6) ROI - if we're getting similar returns (bow out of the CAA tourney before the semi's) with less investment - it is helping us pay for Cost of Enrollment and may help make other programs more successful until we complete convo 2.

The big assumption made from the outside - is that in year 1 or 2 W/L was a significant measure. Right or wrong, I doubt it was. Louisville won, but not the right way and it will hurt them.

RE: Louis Rowe performance appraisal - Purplehazed - 03-04-2018 08:26 PM

I'd give Rowe a 2.6.

I admit, I just like the guy. He was playing when I was at JMU.

He can't have a hall pass forever but I think he gets two more years unless the bottom falls out and there is a 65% chance JMU becomes CAA competitive in those two years due to Rowe's recruiting skills.

A new arena coming makes a decision a tough if Rowe's performance is on the fence after four years. If ever there was a school to build a $90M arena and staff it with a mediocre performing coach on the low end of the conference pay scale, it's a King/Bourne/Alger JMU. Rowe has that going for him.

RE: Louis Rowe performance appraisal - PhillyDuke - 03-04-2018 08:52 PM

Having done many of these reviews, Rowe is a classic 2.

Anything more or less than a 2 requires projecting which can get any manager in hot water!

I really dont have answers for some of what we saw this year on the negative side. Did the entire team succomb to nerves for 5-6 minute stretches? Could the coaching staff not draw up a play or two to break offense droughts?

We need to see some development from the post players next season. If only Phillips and Jacobs and Wilson's toughness. For Jacobs, it could come. I really think the guards could make little progress next year and we'd be fine.

Bourne needs to play a hard line next year. Another 2 from Rowe and he's either got to go, or he needs to hire a right hand man that knows Xs and Os.

RE: Louis Rowe performance appraisal - olddawg - 03-04-2018 09:06 PM

He needs to on a "Performance Improvement Plan"

RE: Louis Rowe performance appraisal - jmuroadwarrior - 03-04-2018 10:53 PM

(03-04-2018 09:06 PM)olddawg Wrote:  He needs to on a "Performance Improvement Plan"

PIPs aren't open-ended, they come with a deadline. And they come with a seasoned mentor, assigned to coach the underperformer through the plan until the performance improves enough to be fully satisfactory, or until the underperformer shows no ability to improve. At that point the underperformer is officially rated as unsatisfactory and is terminated.

Who shall the mentor be? How about the accountant?

RE: Louis Rowe performance appraisal - BleedingPurple - 03-05-2018 07:57 AM

(03-04-2018 10:53 PM)jmuroadwarrior Wrote:  
(03-04-2018 09:06 PM)olddawg Wrote:  He needs to on a "Performance Improvement Plan"

PIPs aren't open-ended, they come with a deadline. And they come with a seasoned mentor, assigned to coach the underperformer through the plan until the performance improves enough to be fully satisfactory, or until the underperformer shows no ability to improve. At that point the underperformer is officially rated as unsatisfactory and is terminated.

05-stirthepot

Terry Holland says he's available.

RE: Louis Rowe performance appraisal - olddawg - 03-05-2018 09:20 AM

(03-05-2018 07:57 AM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  
(03-04-2018 10:53 PM)jmuroadwarrior Wrote:  

05-stirthepot

Terry Holland says he's available.

Mike Deane!

RE: Louis Rowe performance appraisal - Centdukesfan - 03-05-2018 09:38 AM

We all knew this wouldnt be a great year for the dukes, and that we had many pieces that were question marks. Coming into next year we have a solid group of guys that should compete for the CAA top 4. However, the biggest question mark is in the frontcourt - we need dwight wilson, Greg Jones, zach jacobs and develle to have really really big off seasons to be in the mix next year. Would love at least one more big body in the paint. I think dwight as the biggest upside, but zach could surprise many.

Wouldnt be surprised if we lose pinkard as well.

RE: Louis Rowe performance appraisal - BSKB 24 - 03-05-2018 10:29 AM

Next year will be a make it or break it year for Lou. I like his recruiting. I like that we were in a ton of games to the end. Now we have to learn how to finish. Defense needs a lot of improvement. Too many splits. Need to tighten up the gaps between the ball and the closest players.

With another good recruiting class and maturity, I think we are trending forward. How can you not like Lou. I think we are all pulling hard for him. But, there are Eighty Million reasons why timing becomes critical. That is a huge carrot to dangle in front of a proven winning coach. I'm pulling for you Lou.

RE: Louis Rowe performance appraisal - olddawg - 03-05-2018 10:52 AM

If you're only gonna win 10 games, much rather have it be w/ our 5 true freshman getting meaningful minutes. We have gotten the awkward high school to college transition out of the way as well as implementing Rowe's system to all the newbies. However, there absolutely has to be noticeable improvement in terms of winning games next year. Upside is strong; jury is still out for me on HCLR's Xs & Os ability.

RE: Louis Rowe performance appraisal - JMUNation - 03-05-2018 10:56 AM

I spoke with Lou post game and shared the same. We are all pulling for him and I could sense he wants to get it done for reasons greater than himself. He was heading out Sunday to continue recruiting for next year.

On another note. A topic of conversation being shared by many was that Lewis is being heavily recruited by other schools. If you are a student at JMU, now would be a good time to let this young man know how much he is valued. We need to keep him in the family.

Just as it was with Cooke, the parents are a big influence. One person I spoke to heard rumor that they are supportive of a transfer to a higher profile program. I hope this is not true.

I was told there were over 700 transfers last year. That is an astonishing number. If the sit out rule goes away, then that number grows even more and mid-majors will become an even larger feeder system for the P5.

RE: Louis Rowe performance appraisal - Dukeman2 - 03-05-2018 11:55 AM

The transfer option should be an easy sell to Lewis, anyone with half a brain would see that as the best option for him as a basketball player.

RE: Louis Rowe performance appraisal - Dukeman2 - 03-05-2018 11:56 AM

Duke 84 12-31-17
We are not a well-coached team on either side of the ball.

Duke84 11/2/17
Should be an entertaining and fun season in any event

Everyone will be able to form their own opinions of the team when it opens play next week, but I'll give some quick impressions.

1 This is a skilled team with substantial talent and a lot of players that will contribute.
2. Starting line-up is likely to include Mosley, McLean and Phillips.
3. Freshman class is a good one. Zach Jacobs is injured right now, though, and I don't know what his timetable for a return is at this point.
4. This is a much better shooting team than most would expect.
5. Very tough to know how they will fare in terms of wins and losses, but they will surprise everyone relative to their last place prediction at the league media day. Final record will depend on health and execution, of course.
6. Biggest weaknesses include lack of game experience and perhaps vulnerability inside to big, physical teams.
7. Biggest surprise player (i.e., under the radar)? Perhaps Pinkard

RE: Louis Rowe performance appraisal - Dukes94 - 03-05-2018 12:20 PM

Two. I loved Lou as a player but didn't like the hire as head coach. That said, you have to give any coach a few years to see if they can do the job. The team was no better this year than last, so he's got his work cut out for him. A fourth year shouldn't be guaranteed if year three isn't better.