CSNbbs
2018 C-USA Tourney. Gut-check time - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: 2018 C-USA Tourney. Gut-check time (/thread-844424.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: 2018 C-USA Tourney. Gut-check time - BigBlueMonarch - 03-08-2018 10:50 AM

So how does everyone feel things are lining up for a possible run to the final?

Sent from my SM-N920V using CSNbbs mobile app

RE: 2018 C-USA Tourney. Gut-check time - ODU_NYG - 03-08-2018 10:52 AM

(03-08-2018 10:50 AM)BigBlueMonarch Wrote:  So how does everyone feel things are lining up for a possible run to the final?

Sent from my SM-N920V using CSNbbs mobile app

I'd feel a lot better if WKU loses tonight assuming we TCB.

RE: 2018 C-USA Tourney. Gut-check time - Gilesfan - 03-08-2018 11:10 AM

(03-08-2018 10:37 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  DC would work. Can fly there cheap from anywhere.

We don't know costs for tall the teams. Maybe CUSA would lose money in this setup.

RE: 2018 C-USA Tourney. Gut-check time - EverRespect - 03-08-2018 11:20 AM

(03-08-2018 11:10 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(03-08-2018 10:37 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  DC would work. Can fly there cheap from anywhere.

We don't know costs for tall the teams. Maybe CUSA would lose money in this setup.
I'm sure they lose money everywhere they play it unless it is on home courts. Somewhere like DC would be considered more a marketing expense than a revenue generator.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RE: 2018 C-USA Tourney. Gut-check time - Gilesfan - 03-08-2018 11:24 AM

(03-08-2018 11:20 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  

I'm sure they lose money everywhere they play it unless it is on home courts. Somewhere like DC would be considered more a marketing expense than a revenue generator.

The benefit the A-10 has is DC is right in the footprint of their conference with Mason, GW, Richmond, and VCU was well as a short drive for others.

DC would be great for ODU. Other conference mates aren't coming in masses. And you are probably spending a ton more than you would be in Bama/Texas/Etc.

DC locals aren't coming out to see CUSA action.

RE: 2018 C-USA Tourney. Gut-check time - EverRespect - 03-08-2018 11:29 AM

(03-08-2018 11:24 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(03-08-2018 11:20 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  

The benefit the A-10 has is DC is right in the footprint of their conference with Mason, GW, Richmond, and VCU was well as a short drive for others.

DC would be great for ODU. Other conference mates aren't coming in masses. And you are probably spending a ton more than you would be in Bama/Texas/Etc.

DC locals aren't coming out to see CUSA action.
I know I was half kidding. The only way this tournament will be well attended is if it is held on home courts of the higher seeds or at a city where the local team is in the finals, like in 2015 when UAB won in Birmingham.

RE: 2018 C-USA Tourney. Gut-check time - bigblueodu - 03-08-2018 11:39 AM

So how the heck do you do put it in the team that wins the conference, or high seeds?
Are you not going to plan all the logistics until 3 weeks before the season ends. What if two teams are tied, do you have to work out the tie breaker scenarios before you start trying to rent out a facility?

You could put it in the campus of the previous Conference Champion winner. That would give you a year to plan your logistics.

RE: 2018 C-USA Tourney. Gut-check time - EverRespect - 03-08-2018 11:47 AM

(03-08-2018 11:39 AM)bigblueodu Wrote:  So how the heck do you do put it in the team that wins the conference, or high seeds?
Are you not going to plan all the logistics until 3 weeks before the season ends. What if two teams are tied, do you have to work out the tie breaker scenarios before you start trying to rent out a facility?

You could put it in the campus of the previous Conference Champion winner. That would give you a year to plan your logistics.

The logistics would be up to the hosting school and the fans. Conference can get the money and do nothing for it.

RE: 2018 C-USA Tourney. Gut-check time - Monarchblue - 03-08-2018 11:51 AM

(03-08-2018 11:39 AM)bigblueodu Wrote:  So how the heck do you do put it in the team that wins the conference, or high seeds?

Many conferences take this approach and don't seem to have problems coordinating.

RE: 2018 C-USA Tourney. Gut-check time - Gilesfan - 03-08-2018 11:59 AM

It does make it difficult. But, teams can work out home NIT games with a weeks notice so I'm guessing they could figure it out...unless the arena is booked for other events. THen, I have no clue.

RE: 2018 C-USA Tourney. Gut-check time - EverRespect - 03-08-2018 12:01 PM

Yes, you would have to block out the dates until you know you aren't hosting.

RE: 2018 C-USA Tourney. Gut-check time - bigblueodu - 03-08-2018 12:32 PM

Ok, lets say that UAB and ODU have similar records towards the end of the season.... Is the TED going to block out dates just in case ODU wins the conference? I think a concert and harlem globe trotters event is going to trump a "maybe" tournament. If you are a school with a rinky-dink gym with nothing going on, it might work for you.
Also, teams getting an NIT bid know 10-15 days out that they may host a single game, or maybe two. A tournament means 14 seperate schools have to plan for travel in a weeks notice. considering we have teams from Florida, Texas, TN, and the four corners of the earth.... that may prove difficult.
If you did it for the conference winner the previous year it would give you time to plan and be a additional reward for winning the conference..... and a place like The Ted could plan accordingly.

RE: 2018 C-USA Tourney. Gut-check time - EverRespect - 03-08-2018 12:42 PM

(03-08-2018 12:32 PM)bigblueodu Wrote:  Ok, lets say that UAB and ODU have similar records towards the end of the season.... Is the TED going to block out dates just in case ODU wins the conference? I think a concert and harlem globe trotters event is going to trump a "maybe" tournament. If you are a school with a rinky-dink gym with nothing going on, it might work for you.
Also, teams getting an NIT bid know 10-15 days out that they may host a single game, or maybe two. A tournament means 14 seperate schools have to plan for travel in a weeks notice. considering we have teams from Florida, Texas, TN, and the four corners of the earth.... that may prove difficult.
If you did it for the conference winner the previous year it would give you time to plan and be a additional reward for winning the conference..... and a place like The Ted could plan accordingly.

That's why you have it on Sunday, Wednesday and Saturday at the home site of the individual game high seed instead of trying to host a 4 consecutive day tournament at the high seed. That still gives the Harlem Globetrotters and concert promoters plenty to work with in their planning. They can swing through on Friday instead of Saturday or Tuesday instead of Wednesday. You don't have the same flexibility when you try to do awards, dinners, and banquets, etc while tying it up for a whole week. The only thing booked at the Ted on those dates is Casting Crowns on Saturday. Never even heard of them, but they could play Friday or Sunday just as easy.

RE: 2018 C-USA Tourney. Gut-check time - Monarchist13 - 03-08-2018 12:44 PM

(03-08-2018 12:42 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  The only thing booked at the Ted on those dates is Casting Crowns on Saturday. Never even heard of them,

Christian musicians and fivehead collective.

2018 C-USA Tourney. Gut-check time - Big Bluezilla - 03-08-2018 08:59 PM

Middle losing to Southern Miss in OT by 2 with 31 ticks left. Holy crap! Hold on Southern Miss!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: 2018 C-USA Tourney. Gut-check time - SuiteODU - 03-08-2018 09:01 PM

Middle loses!

RE: 2018 C-USA Tourney. Gut-check time - Hassell4prez - 03-08-2018 09:02 PM

DOWN GOES MTSU!!!!

RE: 2018 C-USA Tourney. Gut-check time - ODU True Blue - 03-08-2018 09:02 PM

(03-08-2018 09:01 PM)SuiteODU Wrote:  Middle loses!

Despite So Miss often playing against 8.

RE: 2018 C-USA Tourney. Gut-check time - ODU_NYG - 03-08-2018 09:02 PM

wow!!

RE: 2018 C-USA Tourney. Gut-check time - NC ODUFan - 03-08-2018 09:07 PM

(03-08-2018 12:42 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(03-08-2018 12:32 PM)bigblueodu Wrote:  Ok, lets say that UAB and ODU have similar records towards the end of the season.... Is the TED going to block out dates just in case ODU wins the conference? I think a concert and harlem globe trotters event is going to trump a "maybe" tournament. If you are a school with a rinky-dink gym with nothing going on, it might work for you.

That's why you have it on Sunday, Wednesday and Saturday at the home site of the individual game high seed instead of trying to host a 4 consecutive day tournament at the high seed. That still gives the Harlem Globetrotters and concert promoters plenty to work with in their planning. They can swing through on Friday instead of Saturday or Tuesday instead of Wednesday. You don't have the same flexibility when you try to do awards, dinners, and banquets, etc while tying it up for a whole week. The only thing booked at the Ted on those dates is Casting Crowns on Saturday. Never even heard of them, but they could play Friday or Sunday just as easy.

Casting Crowns is a contemporary Christian band, sold millions of records, Ted will likely be sold out for that one.