CSNbbs
2017 NCAA Football Attendance: - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+----- Forum: P5 Discussion (/forum-997.html)
+----- Thread: 2017 NCAA Football Attendance: (/thread-842349.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

2017 NCAA Football Attendance: - JRsec - 02-09-2018 04:00 AM

NCAA College Football Attendance For 2017

1. SEC 75,074 (-2,433 over 2016 or minus 3.2%)
2. B1G 66,227 (+76 over 2016 or plus .002%)
3. B12 56,852 (-679 over 2016 or minus 1.2%)
4. PAC 49,601 (-472 over 2016 or minus 1.0%)
5. ACC 48,442 (-1,292 over 2016 or minus 2.6%)

Tomorrow I will edit this post to include a school by school breakdown by conference.

RE: 2017 NCAA Football Attendance: - Blue76 - 02-09-2018 06:06 AM

The figures for FCS are last years

http://www.ncaa.org/championships/statistics/ncaa-football-attendance

Under "Home Attendance Leaders" (page 4)

Montana 23,535 average
JMU 21,724 Average

But under "TEAM-BY-TEAM"

Montana 25,377 & JMU 19,844 (These are last years figures)

all FCS under T-B-T are last years

RE: 2017 NCAA Football Attendance: - Nerdlinger - 02-09-2018 09:45 AM

(02-09-2018 06:06 AM)Blue76 Wrote:  The figures for FCS are last years

http://www.ncaa.org/championships/statistics/ncaa-football-attendance

Under "Home Attendance Leaders" (page 4)

Montana 23,535 average
JMU 21,724 Average

But under "TEAM-BY-TEAM"

Montana 25,377 & JMU 19,844 (These are last years figures)

all FCS under T-B-T are last years

They also have Liberty listed twice, once under FCS and again under reclassifying, and they have different attendance figures for each. Abilene Christian and Incarnate Word are missing entirely. I'm sure there are other mistakes.

The only contact email I could find was NCAASupport@turner.com, which is for website feedback on NCAA.com (not NCAA.org). I notified them about the FCS figures. Maybe they'll forward the message to the correct department.

RE: 2017 NCAA Football Attendance: - CliftonAve - 02-09-2018 10:16 AM

CFB attendance continues to shrink. Loss of regional rivalries/opponents, ease and comfort of watching games at home on the big screen are the primary culprits IMO.

RE: 2017 NCAA Football Attendance: - Nerdlinger - 02-09-2018 10:20 AM

I found more accurate statistics here: https://stats.ncaa.org/rankings?sport_code=MFB&division=11

Attendance is under the "Misc Reports" tab.

RE: 2017 NCAA Football Attendance: - YNot - 02-09-2018 12:03 PM

B1G
Top-3 schools (all above 100K) [Michigan, Ohio St., Penn St.]
4 of the top-10 (89K+) [+Nebraska]
6 of the top-20 (70K+) [+ Wisconsin, Michigan St.]
7 of the top-30 (56.7K+) [+Iowa]
7 of the top-40 (50K+)
10 of the top-51 (42K+) [+Purdue, Minnesota, Indiana]
4 below 40K attendance [Illinois, Northwestern, Maryland, Rutgers]

SEC
5 of the top-10 (89K+) [Alabama, Texas A&M, LSU, Tennessee, Georgia]
8 of the top-20 (70K+) [+Florida, Auburn, South Carolina]
11 of the top-30 (56.7K+) [+Arkansas, Ole Miss, Mississippi St.]
13 of the top-40 (50K+)[+Kentucky, Missouri]
13 of the top-51 (42K+)
1 below 40K attendance [Vanderbilt]

B12
1 of the top-10 (89K+) [Texas]
2 of the top-20 (70K+) [+Oklahoma]
4 of the top-30 (56.7K+) [+Iowa St., Oklahoma St.]
7 of the top-40 (50K+) [+West Virginia, Texas Tech, Kansas St.]
9 of the top-51 (42K+) [+TCU, Baylor]
1 below 40K attendance [Kansas]

ACC
0 of the top-10 (89K+)
2 of the top-20 (70K+) [Clemson, Florida St.]
5 of the top-30 (56.7K+) [+Virginia Tech, Miami, NC State]
6 of the top-40 (50K+) [+North Carolina]
8 of the top-51 (42K+) [+Georgia Tech, Louisville]
6 below 40K attendance [Virginia, Pittsburgh, Boston College, Syracuse, Wake Forest, Duke]

PAC
0 of the top-10 (89K+)
1 of the top-20 (70K+) [USC]
2 of the top-30 (56.7K+) [+Washington]
5 of the top-40 (50K+) [+UCLA, Oregon, Arizona St.]
9 of the top-51 (42K+) [+Stanford, Colorado, Utah, Arizona]
3 below 40K attendance [California, Oregon St., Washington St.]

OTHERS
0 of the top-10 (89K+)
1 of the top-20 (70K+) [Notre Dame]
1 of the top-30 (56.7K+)
2 of the top-40 (50K+) [+BYU]
2 of the top-51 (42K+)

* EDITED: to add top-40, top-50, and below 40K average categories

RE: 2017 NCAA Football Attendance: - JRsec - 02-09-2018 12:26 PM

We'll have to wait until next year to see if the SEC's 3.2% decline was more than just coaching changes at work:

Texas A&M down roughly 3,000 in average attendance: coaches last year
Florida down roughly 1,000 in average attendance: coaches last year
Tennessee down roughly 5,000 in average attendance: coaches last year
Arkansas down roughly 6,000 in average attendance: coaches last year
Ole Miss down roughly 6,000 in average attendance: scandal and coaches last year

The rest of the schools were roughly plus or minus .5% or flat with three exceptions.

L.S.U. which was down 3,000 in average attendance with a coach that was not a universally acclaimed hire last year.

South Carolina which was up 2,500 in average attendance with a coach that beat expectations last year.

Kentucky which was up 3,000 in average attendance with a coach their fans feel is turning things around.

So if you simply toss out the happy coaches stories and the coaching firings and look at the stable programs numbers the SEC would have been down roughly between .3 to .5 %.

RE: 2017 NCAA Football Attendance: - Wedge - 02-09-2018 01:08 PM

Stewart Mandel had some thoughts on this (on his subscription site, The Athletic)

Quote:Here's my own personal observation from having attended a whole lot of big college football games over the years but also having spent a lot more weekends on the couch the past few seasons than I did previously. College football has some of the coolest pregame pageantry you could ever hope to experience, and there is no topping the electricity of a stadium right before kickoff and in the final minutes of a close game.

For most of those three-plus hours in between, though, it's a far better viewing experience on TV. There's no denying it at this point. The production values of the big network games have risen dramatically over the past decade with the use of more camera angles (including the wire cam overhead), more advanced replay and telestrator technology, the advent of officiating analysts and more. Plus, there are so many more games on TV in general that you can spend the entire afternoon just working the remote.

And, perhaps most importantly, it's easier to stay abreast of everything on Twitter, where no how obscure the game, someone is going to have the highlight. And given that, it sure is nice to have your own reliable home wi-fi than stadiums where I still, even today, get shoddy reception most places I go.

I was surprised to see a 40-something sportswriter complaining about Wi-Fi, but he's right. It's not just for the kids. No one wants to pay $50 or more per ticket and have their phone become a brick until they get back to their car after the game.

RE: 2017 NCAA Football Attendance: - JRsec - 02-09-2018 01:26 PM

(02-09-2018 01:08 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Stewart Mandel had some thoughts on this (on his subscription site, The Athletic)

Quote:Here's my own personal observation from having attended a whole lot of big college football games over the years but also having spent a lot more weekends on the couch the past few seasons than I did previously. College football has some of the coolest pregame pageantry you could ever hope to experience, and there is no topping the electricity of a stadium right before kickoff and in the final minutes of a close game.

For most of those three-plus hours in between, though, it's a far better viewing experience on TV. There's no denying it at this point. The production values of the big network games have risen dramatically over the past decade with the use of more camera angles (including the wire cam overhead), more advanced replay and telestrator technology, the advent of officiating analysts and more. Plus, there are so many more games on TV in general that you can spend the entire afternoon just working the remote.

And, perhaps most importantly, it's easier to stay abreast of everything on Twitter, where no how obscure the game, someone is going to have the highlight. And given that, it sure is nice to have your own reliable home wi-fi than stadiums where I still, even today, get shoddy reception most places I go.

I was surprised to see a 40-something sportswriter complaining about Wi-Fi, but he's right. It's not just for the kids. No one wants to pay $50 or more per ticket and have their phone become a brick until they get back to their car after the game.

I can see this. But I can also see the rising costs factoring into it too from just a purely economic perspective. When fuel and food costs are not factored into inflation and food has risen nearly 30% in the past 5 or so years, and healthcare insurance premiums outpace wage increases, something is going to have to give and sports attendance is a luxury expenditure. While I don't think that accounts for all of the decline, it is at least one of more than a few factors.

NOTE: I've posted the totals for the schools within conference groupings on the SEC Board in a Thread with the Same Title. It is pinned at the top of the Board.

Since I finished them in the OP I couldn't transfer to this thread without losing the posts. Sorry.

JR

RE: 2017 NCAA Football Attendance: - C2__ - 02-09-2018 06:00 PM

(02-09-2018 10:16 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  CFB attendance continues to shrink. Loss of regional rivalries/opponents, ease and comfort of watching games at home on the big screen are the primary culprits IMO.

Meaning if you aren't in the club already, you aren't moving up unless you're in the right place at the right time. There's only about 15-20 schools that I think can realistically [re]join the club:

Houston
Cincinnati
Memphis
UConn
UCF
USF
UTSA
New Mexico
Colorado State
East Carolina (football only)
UNLV (because of the Raiders new stadium)
BYU
Boise State
Temple (probably just Olympics)
UTEP
Rice
Hawai'i (football only)
Dayton (Olympics)
SLU (Olympics)
Richmond (Olympics)

Nobody from outside that group is moving up, not even if they win 12 games every season from here on out. Not even if their basketball team becomes a yearly Final Four contender. The club is as big as it was in 1998, plus a few Big East basketball schools.

RE: 2017 NCAA Football Attendance: - Nerdlinger - 02-09-2018 06:17 PM

(02-09-2018 01:26 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(02-09-2018 01:08 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Stewart Mandel had some thoughts on this (on his subscription site, The Athletic)

I can see this. But I can also see the rising costs factoring into it too from just a purely economic perspective. When fuel and food costs are not factored into inflation and food has risen nearly 30% in the past 5 or so years, and healthcare insurance premiums outpace wage increases, something is going to have to give and sports attendance is a luxury expenditure. While I don't think that accounts for all of the decline, it is at least one of more than a few factors.

NOTE: I've posted the totals for the schools within conference groupings on the SEC Board in a Thread with the Same Title. It is pinned at the top of the Board.

Since I finished them in the OP I couldn't transfer to this thread without losing the posts. Sorry.

JR

You could just copy-paste the text.

RE: 2017 NCAA Football Attendance: - JRsec - 02-09-2018 06:20 PM

(02-09-2018 06:00 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  
(02-09-2018 10:16 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  CFB attendance continues to shrink. Loss of regional rivalries/opponents, ease and comfort of watching games at home on the big screen are the primary culprits IMO.

Meaning if you aren't in the club already, you aren't moving up unless you're in the right place at the right time. There's only about 15-20 schools that I think can realistically [re]join the club:

Houston
Cincinnati
Memphis
UConn
UCF
USF
UTSA
New Mexico
Colorado State
East Carolina (football only)
UNLV (because of the Raiders new stadium)
BYU
Boise State
Temple (probably just Olympics)
UTEP
Rice
Hawai'i (football only)
Dayton (Olympics)
SLU (Olympics)
Richmond (Olympics)

Nobody from outside that group is moving up, not even if they win 12 games every season from here on out. Not even if their basketball team becomes a yearly Final Four contender. The club is as big as it was in 1998, plus a few Big East basketball schools.

Check their attendance and the number you list would shrink to about 4 or 5 and the only one that should be in is B.Y.U.. But they have the misfortune of suffering the California anti Mormon bias. So because their school is governed by religious principles and they are located closest to the PAC they are an outlier for the other P conferences and are stuck with the leftist fundamentalism for being rightest fundamentalists.

RE: 2017 NCAA Football Attendance: - C2__ - 02-09-2018 06:43 PM

I disagree and we're talking long term not short term. The majority are long shots, which is better than no shot.

RE: 2017 NCAA Football Attendance: - JRsec - 02-09-2018 08:00 PM

(02-09-2018 06:43 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  I disagree and we're talking long term not short term. The majority are long shots, which is better than no shot.

The only school with an attendance over 36,000 was B.Y.U. at 57,000. Cincinnati had 28,000, UConn 20,000, and a favorite discussed on Big 12 talk sites is Tulane 16,000. Houston did 32, UCF did 37, USF did 31, and Memphis did 36. ECU did about 36. That's miles away from compensating for academic ratings with stellar support numbers.

RE: 2017 NCAA Football Attendance: - Nerdlinger - 02-09-2018 08:24 PM

(02-09-2018 08:00 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(02-09-2018 06:43 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  I disagree and we're talking long term not short term. The majority are long shots, which is better than no shot.

The only school with an attendance over 36,000 was B.Y.U. at 57,000. Cincinnati had 28,000, UConn 20,000, and a favorite discussed on Big 12 talk sites is Tulane 16,000. Houston did 32, UCF did 37, USF did 31, and Memphis did 36. ECU did about 36. That's miles away from compensating for academic ratings with stellar support numbers.

But if any of those teams were to be elevated to a power conference, one would expect their attendance numbers to increase significantly.

RE: 2017 NCAA Football Attendance: - Hokie Mark - 02-09-2018 08:37 PM

Houston, Cincinnati, Temple and UConn are all plausible, though even those have a tough road. Tulane and Rice seem just theoretical. East Carolina and UCF are intriguing but also face Big obstacles. Memphis, Bose State and USF even tougher sells, IMO.

TCU, Utah, Louisville, even Rutgers while flawed all had p5-worthy resumes. The more you pick through the clearance sale rack, the fewer actual bargains you find...

RE: 2017 NCAA Football Attendance: - JRsec - 02-09-2018 08:52 PM

(02-09-2018 08:37 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  Houston, Cincinnati, Temple and UConn are all plausible, though even those have a tough road. Tulane and Rice seem just theoretical. East Carolina and UCF are intriguing but also face Big obstacles. Memphis, Bose State and USF even tougher sells, IMO.

TCU, Utah, Louisville, even Rutgers while flawed all had p5-worthy resumes. The more you pick through the clearance sale rack, the fewer actual bargains you find...

Well, Houston has a market. But they operate the athletics in the red and only draw 32,000 in a stadium in dire need of replacement. What many here don't understand Mark is that most P5 conferences have minimum program requirements. A lot of these schools don't offer the spectrum of required sports. But, if they do, then their venues have to meet the standards of the conferences they hope to join.

The second time WVU applied to the SEC we sent the prospectus of what needed to be done to venues and which sports had to be added before they could be considered. Amenities at SEC venues should be very similar from site to site. What an SEC program expects in the way of a baseball venue is a major difference from what some of these schools presently have. So it's the investment of millions of dollars to just meet minimums that hold many of these schools out.

Then we like to see certain attendance levels and certain sports endowment levels in addition to the facilities. When we added Missouri we were expecting attendance at their football games to be in the low 70's. They started out that way but the past two year's they've been in the low 50's placing them behind everyone but Vandy's 31,000.

If Vandy applied today like Wake and Northwestern they might have a hard time qualifying in anyway other than academics. So when these guys compare 32,000 attendance against these schools and Duke they are merely dreaming. If you don't average in the 60's the SEC probably won't even consider you and we would prefer schools that meet our average attendance which this year is 75,000.

Here's the link to the Conference and School attendance figures for the P5 and some of the schools mentioned here.

http://www.csnbbs.com/thread-842348.html

RE: 2017 NCAA Football Attendance: - Wedge - 02-09-2018 08:53 PM

Any new member to a P5 conference has to walk in the door adding over $30 million/year in value, or over $40 million/year if it's the SEC or Big Ten. Otherwise the existing members will lose a lot of money by expanding.

AFAIK, no one in charge at any of these schools is complaining that they make too much money and hoping they can find a way to make less money in the future. 07-coffee3

RE: 2017 NCAA Football Attendance: - JRsec - 02-09-2018 09:20 PM

(02-09-2018 08:53 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Any new member to a P5 conference has to walk in the door adding over $30 million/year in value, or over $40 million/year if it's the SEC or Big Ten. Otherwise the existing members will lose a lot of money by expanding.

AFAIK, no one in charge at any of these schools is complaining that they make too much money and hoping they can find a way to make less money in the future. 07-coffee3

That'll be 51 million for the Big 10 starting next year and about 46 million for the SEC.

I just read an interesting piece on TCU, but one that didn't make too much sense. The average around their stadium capacity of 45,000. They are worried what will happen with the expiration of the Big 12 contract with FOX in 2023. The odd part is that they are planning an expansion, and to make themselves more attractive that makes sense. It also makes sense that it will be with luxury seating since in DFW that will probably yield them more revenue than standard seating. The puzzling part is that it will only be for 1000 seats. They truly need to be in at least the mid 50's on seating to make themselves attractive to some other P conferences.

RE: 2017 NCAA Football Attendance: - Nerdlinger - 02-09-2018 10:07 PM

(02-09-2018 08:37 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  Houston, Cincinnati, Temple and UConn are all plausible, though even those have a tough road. Tulane and Rice seem just theoretical. East Carolina and UCF are intriguing but also face Big obstacles. Memphis, Bose State and USF even tougher sells, IMO.

Why do people keep thinking Rutgers was promoted from a non-power conference? They joined the Big East in 1991.