CSNbbs
Football Recruiting: 2019 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: Football Recruiting: 2019 (/thread-842162.html)

RE: Football Recruiting: 2019 - Gilesfan - 06-26-2018 02:18 PM

(06-26-2018 01:09 PM)ODU True Blue Wrote:  
(06-26-2018 12:20 PM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  Secured a 6-0 Ath/CB recruit from 757 out of LT. Beat out some FCS and a D2 program. Chattanooga, Hampton, Towson, Saint Francis, Western Illinois, and UVA-Wise.

Before you pile on the derision. And I'm not saying this kid is that good, but there was a player taken in the top 10 of the NFL draft this year that one single FBS offer coming out of high school - to Wyoming.

You are never going to convince him that the stars for players in the P-5 is meaningless despite being shown over and over that the people ranking these kids arent even following them.

RE: Football Recruiting: 2019 - Old Dominion - 06-26-2018 02:32 PM

?????????

RE: Football Recruiting: 2019 - Punk - 06-26-2018 02:38 PM

https://pilotonline.com/sports/college/old-dominion/football/article_8f58b6d2-7967-11e8-8111-071fc11420de.html

Article on Wolff and Harvey

RE: Football Recruiting: 2019 - ODU AGGIE - 06-26-2018 05:41 PM

[Image: 5b328eab884f7.image.jpg]

Here's a big Monarch welcome to Mr. Wolff. Welcome aboard, sir!

RE: Football Recruiting: 2019 - AimHigher - 06-26-2018 06:23 PM

By having Wolff, it would be nice to sign his younger brother in a few years. The kid is as big as his brother.

RE: Football Recruiting: 2019 - Mr.BigBlue - 06-26-2018 06:46 PM

(06-26-2018 02:18 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(06-26-2018 12:20 PM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  Secured a 6-0 Ath/CB recruit from 757 out of LT. Beat out some FCS and a D2 program. Chattanooga, Hampton, Towson, Saint Francis, Western Illinois, and UVA-Wise.

Before you pile on the derision. And I'm not saying this kid is that good, but there was a player taken in the top 10 of the NFL draft this year that one single FBS offer coming out of high school - to Wyoming.

You are never going to convince him that the stars for players in the P-5 is meaningless despite being shown over and over that the people ranking these kids arent even following them.

And you are not going to convince me or many others that stars do not matter. I would take a recruiting class of 3star rated players vs what we have been recruiting. Yes some don't pan out and some exceed expectations. Give me a team with more than half full of 3 stars competing day in and day out in the weight room, in practice, and on the field vs a team full of FCS level recruits that we stole from the likes of Towson, Hampton, High Point, etc.

RE: Football Recruiting: 2019 - Grommet - 06-26-2018 08:06 PM

[Image: d99.jpg]

RE: Football Recruiting: 2019 - Old Dominion - 06-27-2018 05:48 AM

Perfect! love it.

RE: Football Recruiting: 2019 - benny_t - 06-27-2018 06:42 AM

(06-26-2018 06:46 PM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  
(06-26-2018 02:18 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  

And you are not going to convince me or many others that stars do not matter. I would take a recruiting class of 3star rated players vs what we have been recruiting. Yes some don't pan out and some exceed expectations. Give me a team with more than half full of 3 stars competing day in and day out in the weight room, in practice, and on the field vs a team full of FCS level recruits that we stole from the likes of Towson, Hampton, High Point, etc.

Exactly, it's not just about stars. It is also about who else offered. Yes you can find a hidden gem that other schools missed but they normally happen in small towns or a kid that develops late. When a kids only offers are from mediocre FCS teams it doesn't look like we are recruiting FBS levels.

RE: Football Recruiting: 2019 - odufansam - 06-27-2018 07:54 AM

Javon Harvey is a typical FCS recruit. He doesn't have great quickness to play DB or elusiveness to play WR. I'm interested to see how the coaches plan to use him. If he bulks up, he could be an undersized safety with really good speed. We will see.

ODU coaches, for the last three years, have shifted recruiting philosophy. They have had a harder time snagging highly recruited talent because of several factors: losing our best recruiters in Zyskowski and Burden, Wilder's redshirting philosophy, and a 757 bias. Time will tell if they can succeed with recruiting primarily raw talent. We won't really know until the 2019 season when this senior heavy class graduates. TE will be the position to watch this season. Marcus Joyner and Keion White were both "FCS" recruits and didn't have FBS programs after them. If White gets better with his hands, I think he's in for a huge year.

RE: Football Recruiting: 2019 - jumpshooter - 06-27-2018 08:05 AM

OL and QB are the keys for this team and its success.

RE: Football Recruiting: 2019 - ODU AGGIE - 06-27-2018 08:12 AM

Re: The discussion on three-star recruits

I certainly agree with the basic concept that the higher rated our recruits are the more likely we are to be gathering talent into the Monarch family. But I think we all have to remember that it is very early in the process for the class of 2019 with the senior year yet to be played for these guys. Lack of three-star status at this time is not likely to be a valid indicator of a recruit's true quality, and I think our coaches have shown a solid ability to identify the players who meet our standards, regardless of stars they currently carry.

A good example of what I am trying to get my arms around is Teagan McDonald. If you look at his 247sports page, he has interest from a number of G5 and FCS schools, but only one offer and that is from the Monarchs. Now look at his hudl video and tell me what you think. Personally, I hope to see him on Saturdays at New Foreman Field.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/2901573/Teagan-McDonald

RE: Football Recruiting: 2019 - monarx - 06-27-2018 01:23 PM

Who else has offered is a far greater indicator of talent IMO. But most of the time, if a kid gets a P5 offer or several FBS offers he will be rated 3*s. So its kind of a chicken/egg scenario. I feel like most of our classes should be about 50% 3* guys, 30% 2* guys and 20% risky unknowns. We've done great with the unknowns, but our players who hold their own against the more established teams are more consistently the ones with 3* size and talent (Bently and Heinike excluded). Ray Lowry, Oshane X for example. The AAC teams, and the top CUSA teams, typically have a lot of 3* guys on them. Thats not a coincidence.

RE: Football Recruiting: 2019 - Big Bluezilla - 06-27-2018 01:38 PM

https://virginiapreps.rivals.com/news/lake-taylor-s-harvey-to-stay-in-norfolk-with-odu-pledge

A lot of nice stuff in this article, but one of my major takeaways is the relationship with the Old Dominion coaches. It's nice to hear directly from some local coaches on the relationships forged with Coach Wilder and his team. If other local schools relationships develop like Lake Taylor's it could pay dividends going forward.

RE: Football Recruiting: 2019 - jumpshooter - 06-27-2018 02:39 PM

The LT coach felt like he "owed" Wilder something. How refreshing. The kid may not be the 4* we hope one day stays home and opens the floodgates, but he may be a better ambassador.

RE: Football Recruiting: 2019 - cmett003 - 06-27-2018 03:18 PM

https://pilotonline.com/sports/college/old-dominion/football/article_3449651c-7a3d-11e8-b561-db9f76c45f28.html

Update story from Ed Miller. If we get the younger Wolff brother next year as well that would be huge. You cant coach the chemistry that they probably already have from growing up together.

RE: Football Recruiting: 2019 - xxxoduxxx - 06-27-2018 04:18 PM

QB Hayden Wolff

2017 Mid Season, height: 6'5", weight: 205

Offers from: ODU, Columbia, Dartmouth, Eastern Michigan, FIU, Harvard, Kentucky, Toledo, Western Kentucky, Yale.

Interest from: Yale, Ball State, Cincinnati, Duke, Florida, Michigan State, Ohio State, Pittsburgh, USF, Vanderbilt.

Articles:

Virginia Pilot: ODU gets commitment from Florida QB sought by several Power 5 schools

Virginia Pilot: Big-armed ODU quarterback recruit has high hopes, says he's fully committed

Quote:July 19,2017: Wolff received his first FBS scholarship offer from Kentucky on July 19, five days after visiting the school for a camp. Lemon Bay football coach Donald Southwell told Land of 10 that Vanderbilt and Ohio State also have been in contact with Wolff. Ball State, Cincinnati and Pittsburgh also have shown interest.

Link: QB Hayden Wolff likes Badgers, competition for OT Logan Brown

Quote:Being such a big athlete, I asked Wolff about his style and strengths as a quarterback.

ā€Iā€™m a pro-style, drop back passer and use my legs and run when I have to.ā€

link: 2019 QB HAYDEN WOLFF VISITING PITT TONIGHT

Midseason highlight:

RE: Football Recruiting: 2019 - monarx - 06-27-2018 05:15 PM

Man, Im very encouraged by this news about Wolff. I really hope to see him play in a Monarch uniform, but as we all know, ya gotta wait until they're enrolled to get really excited. I hope landing a recruit like him this early will nudge some other guys with decent FBS offers to seriously consider us this year.

RE: Football Recruiting: 2019 - Old Dominion - 06-27-2018 05:52 PM

(06-27-2018 08:12 AM)ODU AGGIE Wrote:  Re: The discussion on three-star recruits

I certainly agree with the basic concept that the higher rated our recruits are the more likely we are to be gathering talent into the Monarch family. But I think we all have to remember that it is very early in the process for the class of 2019 with the senior year yet to be played for these guys. Lack of three-star status at this time is not likely to be a valid indicator of a recruit's true quality, and I think our coaches have shown a solid ability to identify the players who meet our standards, regardless of stars they currently carry.

A good example of what I am trying to get my arms around is Teagan McDonald. If you look at his 247sports page, he has interest from a number of G5 and FCS schools, but only one offer and that is from the Monarchs. Now look at his hudl video and tell me what you think. Personally, I hope to see him on Saturdays at New Foreman Field.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/2901573/Teagan-McDonald

I agree with your assessment that stars don't tell all, but in general, they are fairly predictive of a kids talent. That coupled with offers from schools generally considered at or above our level tell a pretty compelling story. What I don't really pay much attention to are high light films. Questionable competition coupled with absolutely no context makes them of little value IMHO. If highlights were well regarded by recruiters, every kid in America would be getting offers from Alabama. For every highlight play, I wonder how many bone head plays we never see.

RE: Football Recruiting: 2019 - Full_Court_Press - 06-27-2018 06:27 PM

Congrats to the recruiting 2019 recruiting class. Look forward to your arrival on campus. Wishing you guys well in your HS Senior Year.