CSNbbs
Football Recruiting: 2019 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: Football Recruiting: 2019 (/thread-842162.html)

RE: Football Recruiting: 2019 - 12thmonarch - 08-02-2018 05:31 PM

(08-02-2018 05:06 PM)ODU Oldtimer Wrote:  247 sports could not care less about ODU. Evan Watkins's is the VA Tech rep and recruiting reporter. His official title is Evan Watkins
Recruiting Insider VT Scoop. There was a time that Evan did some ODU reporting, but that has dwindled to almost nothing. Evan had hoped that ODU would bring in some money when we just got started playing football. There was a lot of buzz and interest around the program and Evan had jumped on the Monarch train in the early years. However very few fans signed up and have payed for the information they report as the "247 insiders" and therefore over the years there is less and less about ODU's recruiting achievements and prospects. ODU has NO assigned agent/reporter/advocate or what ever you want to call it. There was a short time we had the ODU Alumni that had started the ODU blog "BLEED BLUE". Evan asked him to get the inside info and report on ODU recruiting - Football and Basketball. That did not last very long, a few months.

Because of the lack of money that the ODU football fans have "NOT" contributed to the 247 brand or signed into as members the 247 recruiting service dropped ODU like a hot potato. ODU gets little if any true inside reporting or even the smallest amount of assistance in rankings, ratings with 247. When you have NO ONE advocating for the Football and Basketball Programs it is clear that we will get very little help. Certainly Evan rarely in the last few years has been willing to dig or get the inside news regarding recruits that are interested in becoming Monarchs.

Just an example . ODU currently has 17 new recruits for the 2019 football recruiting class. Evan has never given any of the recruits that have shown interest in our program a Crystal Ball report ... https://247sports.com/college/old-dominion/Season/2019-Football/InstitutionPredictions/ I assume there is no interest on Evans part to even report that for us. Or, maybe he felt there was NO interest in ODU from the fans....right! If you look at VA Tech Evan has reported that 24 players have been given Crystal ball predictions that had interest in VA Tech... https://247sports.com/college/virginia-tech/Season/2019-Football/InstitutionPredictions/. Amazing stats.... ODU - 0 VA Tech 24. Yet ODU has more commitments at this time than VA Tech.

Just shows where the interest is when it comes to ODU.

I assume that that is the way it will be until a time that ODU emerges as a "Powerhouse" program in the G5 ranks. or joins the ACC....LOL

OT, You are absolutely correct. We better start winning soon otherwise we will end up being stagnant and go no where. I subscribed to VA Pilot digital version simply to encourage them to cover ODU better not that i care about reading what is happening in HR every day. I need to start doing that to 247 too and may be someday we will have enough for 247 to allot a dedicated person covering ODU. We need to figure out a way to pump new blood and thus dollars into the program sooner than later.

RE: Football Recruiting: 2019 - Grommet - 08-02-2018 05:52 PM

By comparison, and without rejecting OT's point, for which G5 schools does 247 have a full slate of Crystal Ball predictions? I tried to bounce around and look but kept ending up in each schools class calculator.

RE: Football Recruiting: 2019 - Gilesfan - 08-02-2018 06:12 PM

(08-02-2018 05:31 PM)12thmonarch Wrote:  
(08-02-2018 05:06 PM)ODU Oldtimer Wrote:  247 sports could not care less about ODU. Evan Watkins's is the VA Tech rep and recruiting reporter. His official title is Evan Watkins
Recruiting Insider VT Scoop. There was a time that Evan did some ODU reporting, but that has dwindled to almost nothing. Evan had hoped that ODU would bring in some money when we just got started playing football. There was a lot of buzz and interest around the program and Evan had jumped on the Monarch train in the early years. However very few fans signed up and have payed for the information they report as the "247 insiders" and therefore over the years there is less and less about ODU's recruiting achievements and prospects. ODU has NO assigned agent/reporter/advocate or what ever you want to call it. There was a short time we had the ODU Alumni that had started the ODU blog "BLEED BLUE". Evan asked him to get the inside info and report on ODU recruiting - Football and Basketball. That did not last very long, a few months.

Because of the lack of money that the ODU football fans have "NOT" contributed to the 247 brand or signed into as members the 247 recruiting service dropped ODU like a hot potato. ODU gets little if any true inside reporting or even the smallest amount of assistance in rankings, ratings with 247. When you have NO ONE advocating for the Football and Basketball Programs it is clear that we will get very little help. Certainly Evan rarely in the last few years has been willing to dig or get the inside news regarding recruits that are interested in becoming Monarchs.

Just an example . ODU currently has 17 new recruits for the 2019 football recruiting class. Evan has never given any of the recruits that have shown interest in our program a Crystal Ball report ... https://247sports.com/college/old-dominion/Season/2019-Football/InstitutionPredictions/ I assume there is no interest on Evans part to even report that for us. Or, maybe he felt there was NO interest in ODU from the fans....right! If you look at VA Tech Evan has reported that 24 players have been given Crystal ball predictions that had interest in VA Tech... https://247sports.com/college/virginia-tech/Season/2019-Football/InstitutionPredictions/. Amazing stats.... ODU - 0 VA Tech 24. Yet ODU has more commitments at this time than VA Tech.

I assume that that is the way it will be until a time that ODU emerges as a "Powerhouse" program in the G5 ranks. or joins the ACC....LOL

OT, You are absolutely correct. We better start winning soon otherwise we will end up being stagnant and go no where. I subscribed to VA Pilot digital version simply to encourage them to cover ODU better not that i care about reading what is happening in HR every day. I need to start doing that to 247 too and may be someday we will have enough for 247 to allot a dedicated person covering ODU. We need to figure out a way to pump new blood and thus dollars into the program sooner than later.

Why would we care what our ratings are?

RE: Football Recruiting: 2019 - FearTheLion - 08-02-2018 06:19 PM

Interesting stuff and probably right on the money. And I'm still paying for that service--thought others were as well hoping it would help get more ODU coverage out there. Am I the only one still left?

RE: Football Recruiting: 2019 - 12thmonarch - 08-02-2018 06:27 PM

(08-02-2018 06:12 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  

Why would we care anything about ODU at all? I don't know where you live but i live in Atlanta and there are folks that live in other countries and even at sea thousands of miles away from the school that we have attended at some point in our lives and here we are all talking about all things ODU. So if you can find out why we are here on this forum that should tell why we should care about those ratings. Also its not only about ratings, its also about us being relevant to what is happening out there.

RE: Football Recruiting: 2019 - Gilesfan - 08-02-2018 08:28 PM

Ratings are pointless and irrelevant. Wins and losses matter. I will never understand why people care what the ratings are of players that arent even warched/scouted.

RE: Football Recruiting: 2019 - bit_9 - 08-02-2018 08:39 PM

(08-02-2018 08:28 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  Ratings are pointless and irrelevant. Wins and losses matter. I will never understand why people care what the ratings are of players that arent even warched/scouted.

It's all about keeping up with the Jones.

RE: Football Recruiting: 2019 - ODU Oldtimer - 08-03-2018 07:10 AM

(08-02-2018 06:27 PM)12thmonarch Wrote:  
(08-02-2018 06:12 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  

Why would we care anything about ODU at all? I don't know where you live but i live in Atlanta and there are folks that live in other countries and even at sea thousands of miles away from the school that we have attended at some point in our lives and here we are all talking about all things ODU. So if you can find out why we are here on this forum that should tell why we should care about those ratings. Also its not only about ratings, its also about us being relevant to what is happening out there.

My point exactly

RE: Football Recruiting: 2019 - Monarchist13 - 08-03-2018 07:37 AM

(08-02-2018 06:19 PM)FearTheLion Wrote:  Interesting stuff and probably right on the money. And I'm still paying for that service--thought others were as well hoping it would help get more ODU coverage out there. Am I the only one still left?

I was a member for a while. Then they kept increasing the cost while decreasing their ODU content. It's twice the cost of what I pay for the Pilot with a fraction of the content. So I cancelled. If we want to make a concerted effort as a group to join, I will. But I'm not going to pay $10 a month for nothing.

RE: Football Recruiting: 2019 - ODU Oldtimer - 08-03-2018 08:37 AM

(08-02-2018 08:28 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  Ratings are pointless and irrelevant. Wins and losses matter. I will never understand why people care what the ratings are of players that arent even warched/scouted.

Ratings by themselves are irrelevant. However for ODU to be competitive and build a perception around the program that will motivate recruits to want to be a part of...well we suck at that. We will lose out on many players that potentially would want to play for ODU if we do not create a better PERCEPTION and vision for the Athletic Department. The best players will always want to be relevant and play for a winner. No matter how good a Coach may present a vision. Perception and reputation will be king. Parents will want the best for their kids and they will also look, listen and make conclusions based on the PUBLIC sentiment about were a program has been and where it is headed. We need the media, all inclusive, the VA Pilot, Daily Press, Regional newspapers and even 247Sport. Every Football recruit looks, compares and makes decisions after evaluating their potential landing place from a multitude of sources, Parents, Friends, Family members influence a recruits decision. Most of that inner circle of Family, friends are not exposed to the Coaches, and players of a program. However, that sphere of people that touch or may be a part of the everyday life of a recruit can influence a players decision, and usually it is based on perception. It is just as important that what they read and hear elevates a Schools perception, because that is a big influences on the overall decision that they will be making.

Why do P5 Schools always get the best players. perception, reputation and the cachet from recruits that they will be a part of a winning program. Perception is what P5 program sell and even the AAC..... "WE are Better". We need to play the game of "PERCEPTION" smarter and we MUST learn how to build and sell ODU to the prospects that we should be winning. WE need for them to believe, feel and we MUST sell that perception "We are Better". The new Stadium will help, the SELL OUT streak has always been a plus. Like it our not the perception is very attractive to a young recruit. Our location, all positives.

In the last few years we lost the moment that was surrounding the program and we suck at elevating our perception to the public that ODU is a GREAT PLACE to go to School. The game of public opinion is one game we are losing at, and especially with recruits.

There is no way we will ever be competitive if we cant get the best recruits to believe in us. if the potential players feel no one cares about the program, why would they want to be a part of that. We MUST recognize through perception and branding that we our a program that will be competitive with other G5 programs and even our Conference mates. The perception from High School Players, HS Coaches and the public in general has not been elevated in the last few years. IMO we have taken a step backwards.

So ratings are not irrelevant to the recruits, and we have been tossed away by 247 as just another program that is irrelevant. We must change that IMO, or we will never be the best or get the best if our perception is not elevated.

RE: Football Recruiting: 2019 - monarx - 08-03-2018 08:37 AM

Chicken or the egg? If its good, we'll pay for it, and if we pay for it they "might" make it good. I do think its important though because it raises the profile of the program among hard core football fans, which includes HS coaches and recruiting prospects.

RE: Football Recruiting: 2019 - Old Dominion - 08-03-2018 08:49 AM

Perception is one of those vague, unmeasurables that are essential to a programs success. Many things such as recruit stars, team rank, well attended summer camps, new stadium etc all contribute. It's easy to question the value of any one thing, but taken collectively they create a perception.

On a side note, is it just me or do others see the 2019 class as being unusually high IQ? When I look at the list of schools going after our commits it seems our kids are on a whole pretty bright. I like that and think it can also contribute to perception is a very positive way.

RE: Football Recruiting: 2019 - bit_9 - 08-03-2018 08:56 AM

(08-03-2018 08:37 AM)monarx Wrote:  Chicken or the egg? If its good, we'll pay for it, and if we pay for it they "might" make it good. I do think its important though because it raises the profile of the program among hard core football fans, which includes HS coaches and recruiting prospects.

To me the onus is on 247 to make me want to buy their product. If we have to have a bunch of people invest in a product in hopes that they'll produce that's bassackwarsd. You don't run a business that way. They aren't on kickstarter, indiegogo, or anything like that.

RE: Football Recruiting: 2019 - ODU Oldtimer - 08-03-2018 09:30 AM

(08-03-2018 07:37 AM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  
(08-02-2018 06:19 PM)FearTheLion Wrote:  Interesting stuff and probably right on the money. And I'm still paying for that service--thought others were as well hoping it would help get more ODU coverage out there. Am I the only one still left?

I was a member for a while. Then they kept increasing the cost while decreasing their ODU content. It's twice the cost of what I pay for the Pilot with a fraction of the content. So I cancelled. If we want to make a concerted effort as a group to join, I will. But I'm not going to pay $10 a month for nothing.

I feel the same way. Was a member and Yes, I felt that the coverage Evan had been giving ODU changed. My simple way of showing my displeasure with the reporting was with my dollar. So I dropped it. It was a double edge sword. It makes sense if no one pays for info about ODU that the coverage would drop. I'm not sure there is an answer unless we can get someone or a team of ODU enthusiast that might have the time to research and present articles or even inside recruiting scoop info to 247. I use to love the "ODU ALERTS" New recruit just committed, follow 247 for inside information in the next hour.

"ODU Bleed Blue" did a lot to help ODU, he loved the basketball side more, but he would do some digging about potential recruits for Football as well. I was sorry he was not able to continue his coverage of ODU, but I understood. He had two kids, a full time job and the Blog took an incredible amount of time each day to manage.

At the end, Bleed Blues had to cut his ties and decided to dedicate his time to his family..... Evan reached out to him I believe just a few months before the end and asked him to join the staff or he hired him, if that is the right terminology. For a short period of time he would be a part of the ODU 247 team. He "ODU BLEED BLUE" did it for like 3 or 4 months than he stopped everything. That was the beginning of the end for ODU with 247.

There was a time when Evan offered, a few years back. If you purchased his 247 ODU package in May you received like 3 months free. I have not seen that type of promotion in years offered to ODU.

I would love to see a dedicated person from ODU that would take over and potentially join with Evan to assert ODU's relevance again. More important a "watch dog" so to speak, for the School and the Athletic Department. It could only help...… I would consider returning as a subscriber if there was a dedicated ODU rep or team of reps that reported for 247 about ODU. But, as it exist now, I have no interest.

RE: Football Recruiting: 2019 - odufansam - 08-03-2018 09:32 AM

(08-03-2018 08:56 AM)bit_9 Wrote:  
(08-03-2018 08:37 AM)monarx Wrote:  Chicken or the egg? If its good, we'll pay for it, and if we pay for it they "might" make it good. I do think its important though because it raises the profile of the program among hard core football fans, which includes HS coaches and recruiting prospects.

To me the onus is on 247 to make me want to buy their product. If we have to have a bunch of people invest in a product in hopes that they'll produce that's bassackwarsd. You don't run a business that way. They aren't on kickstarter, indiegogo, or anything like that.

This. I paid for the service and it wasn't worth it. I can say the same for CUSA.tv. They only had one ODU football game on their platform last season. Not worth the $99 / year.

RE: Football Recruiting: 2019 - Gilesfan - 08-03-2018 10:06 AM

(08-03-2018 08:37 AM)ODU Oldtimer Wrote:  

Ratings by themselves are irrelevant. However for ODU to be competitive and build a perception around the program that will motivate recruits to want to be a part of...well we suck at that. We will lose out on many players that potentially would want to play for ODU if we do not create a better PERCEPTION and vision for the Athletic Department. The best players will always want to be relevant and play for a winner. No matter how good a Coach may present a vision. Perception and reputation will be king. Parents will want the best for their kids and they will also look, listen and make conclusions based on the PUBLIC sentiment about were a program has been and where it is headed. We need the media, all inclusive, the VA Pilot, Daily Press, Regional newspapers and even 247Sport. Every Football recruit looks, compares and makes decisions after evaluating their potential landing place from a multitude of sources, Parents, Friends, Family members influence a recruits decision. Most of that inner circle of Family, friends are not exposed to the Coaches, and players of a program. However, that sphere of people that touch or may be a part of the everyday life of a recruit can influence a players decision, and usually it is based on perception. It is just as important that what they read and hear elevates a Schools perception, because that is a big influences on the overall decision that they will be making.

Why do P5 Schools always get the best players. perception, reputation and the cachet from recruits that they will be a part of a winning program. Perception is what P5 program sell and even the AAC..... "WE are Better". We need to play the game of "PERCEPTION" smarter and we MUST learn how to build and sell ODU to the prospects that we should be winning. WE need for them to believe, feel and we MUST sell that perception "We are Better". The new Stadium will help, the SELL OUT streak has always been a plus. Like it our not the perception is very attractive to a young recruit. Our location, all positives.

In the last few years we lost the moment that was surrounding the program and we suck at elevating our perception to the public that ODU is a GREAT PLACE to go to School. The game of public opinion is one game we are losing at, and especially with recruits.

There is no way we will ever be competitive if we cant get the best recruits to believe in us. if the potential players feel no one cares about the program, why would they want to be a part of that. We MUST recognize through perception and branding that we our a program that will be competitive with other G5 programs and even our Conference mates. The perception from High School Players, HS Coaches and the public in general has not been elevated in the last few years. IMO we have taken a step backwards.

So ratings are not irrelevant to the recruits, and we have been tossed away by 247 as just another program that is irrelevant. We must change that IMO, or we will never be the best or get the best if our perception is not elevated.

I agree with many of your points. I do not think kids make a decision to attend ODU or not based on what the schools 247 recruiting ranking is.

RE: Football Recruiting: 2019 - FearTheLion - 08-03-2018 11:03 AM

(08-03-2018 07:37 AM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  I was a member for a while. Then they kept increasing the cost while decreasing their ODU content. It's twice the cost of what I pay for the Pilot with a fraction of the content. So I cancelled. If we want to make a concerted effort as a group to join, I will. But I'm not going to pay $10 a month for nothing.

I just went through some of the links on 247 and it looks like Evan posts a thread on each commitment we are getting. But of course, there is no fan comment on hardly any of them. I wonder if it would make a different if folks could go in and engage some chat to show that ODU fans are out there and active?

I guess the other question is whether you can get to the 247 boards for free. I didn't log off and try before posting this. Anyway, I'm game for anything that shows outsiders that ODU's fanbase is active and even a thing. That's a big part of what we need to sustain recruiting as well.

RE: Football Recruiting: 2019 - 12thmonarch - 08-03-2018 11:08 AM

(08-03-2018 07:37 AM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  

+1

RE: Football Recruiting: 2019 - Monarchist13 - 08-03-2018 12:13 PM

(08-03-2018 11:03 AM)FearTheLion Wrote:  I just went through some of the links on 247 and it looks like Evan posts a thread on each commitment we are getting.

He seems to be trying more in the last month and I enjoy his articles. Otherwise, we would have no clue about players being recruited with a position change until signing day. But he's only done write-ups on 4 of the commits. We have 18.

RE: Football Recruiting: 2019 - Grommet - 08-03-2018 03:30 PM

(08-03-2018 11:03 AM)FearTheLion Wrote:  
(08-03-2018 07:37 AM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  I was a member for a while. Then they kept increasing the cost while decreasing their ODU content. It's twice the cost of what I pay for the Pilot with a fraction of the content. So I cancelled. If we want to make a concerted effort as a group to join, I will. But I'm not going to pay $10 a month for nothing.

I just went through some of the links on 247 and it looks like Evan posts a thread on each commitment we are getting. But of course, there is no fan comment on hardly any of them. I wonder if it would make a different if folks could go in and engage some chat to show that ODU fans are out there and active?

I guess the other question is whether you can get to the 247 boards for free. I didn't log off and try before posting this. Anyway, I'm game for anything that shows outsiders that ODU's fanbase is active and even a thing. That's a big part of what we need to sustain recruiting as well.

This?

https://247sports.com/college/old-dominion/Board/Old-Dominion-Monarchs-Message-Board-Forum-59464/

Yes. I've never had a subscription. Worth noting there are between 75 and 1400 views on each of the 2019 threads, with the mean closer to 150.