CSNbbs
Transferring Athletes - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt West Team Talk (/forum-290.html)
+----- Forum: Southern Miss (/forum-447.html)
+----- Thread: Transferring Athletes (/thread-841514.html)

Transferring Athletes - cadillacman - 01-30-2018 08:38 PM

The NCAA is about to pass some game changing transfer rules. Basically, the new rules would allow the athlete to transfer if the coach was fired or left. At first glance, I thought this would help our recruiting efforts going forward.
But when you think about it, Southern Miss consistently hires a new head Football coach every 3 to 5 years. This new rule would actually hurt us more than it would help us...If this rule was in place prior before Hopson took over, we would have lost alot of our top talent. Same goes for when Johnson and Fedora left.

I do think this is a positive for the student athlete...

Proposed transfer policy details
https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-must-back-revolutionary-athlete-transfer-proposal-220528626.html

Cadillacman

RE: Transferring Athletes - Reggie Favre - 01-30-2018 10:54 PM

(01-30-2018 08:38 PM)cadillacman Wrote:  The NCAA is about to pass some game changing transfer rules. Basically, the new rules would allow the athlete to transfer if the coach was fired or left. At first glance, I thought this would help our recruiting efforts going forward.
But when you think about it, Southern Miss consistently hires a new head Football coach every 3 to 5 years. This new rule would actually hurt us more than it would help us...If this rule was in place prior before Hopson took over, we would have lost alot of our top talent. Same goes for when Johnson and Fedora left.

I do think this is a positive for the student athlete...

Proposed transfer policy details
https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-must-back-revolutionary-athlete-transfer-proposal-220528626.html

Cadillacman

this will prob hurt USM, simply bc USM always ends up on the short end of the stick. however, if we lose a coach every 3-5 years, we still get the benefit of gaining some transfers, EVERY year. so we may get an overall benefit from the rule. hard to say. i personally dont think the rule will pass.

RE: Transferring Athletes - EagNBran - 01-31-2018 11:10 AM

You won’t see players leave immediately. They’ll probably see who the hire is. Arizona State is lucky this rule wasn’t around this year.

RE: Transferring Athletes - Eagleaidaholic - 01-31-2018 02:41 PM

This will absolutely hurt us. Since most of the time we lose a coach is because we had a good season. When that happens the bigger schools in our area will pick off our top underclassmen. Bank it. They weren't good enough out of high school but they are now. If the big 5 schools are the triple a for the nfl then we will be the single and double a.

RE: Transferring Athletes - HarborPointe - 01-31-2018 06:12 PM

The P5 literally run the NCAA now because the rest of us surrendered what power we had. If the NCAA considers a rule change, rest assured said rule benefits the P5 and programs like ours will be damaged.

Let me say this again: The P5 didn’t want to deal with the political blowback of leaving the NCAA. Instead, they’re going to do things to help themselves and harm us until we’re the ones asking for a split.

RE: Transferring Athletes - cadillacman - 01-31-2018 06:52 PM

(01-31-2018 02:41 PM)Eagleaidaholic Wrote:  This will absolutely hurt us. Since most of the time we lose a coach is because we had a good season. When that happens the bigger schools in our area will pick off our top underclassmen. Bank it. They weren't good enough out of high school but they are now. If the big 5 schools are the triple a for the nfl then we will be the single and double a.

This is the same way I feel. I'm all for giving the student athletes more freedom. All
of a sudden, we are no better than East Mississippi Junior College or Mississippi Gulf Coast Junior College. Let's see how this plays out.

RE: Transferring Athletes - stinkfist - 01-31-2018 09:26 PM

(01-31-2018 06:12 PM)HarborPointe Wrote:  The P5 literally run the NCAA now because the rest of us surrendered what power we had. If the NCAA considers a rule change, rest assured said rule benefits the P5 and programs like ours will be damaged.

Let me say this again: The P5 didn’t want to deal with the political blowback of leaving the NCAA. Instead, they’re going to do things to help themselves and harm us until we’re the ones asking for a split.

this was going to happen regardless....many of us predicted this as soon as realignment began on that board.....ya have to back to '11 to find it.....

how we combat the inevitable is all that remains to be seen.....

they've (p5) played this one perfectly to date......

I'm actually shocked anti-trust lawsuits have yet to be filed.....maybe some are camping on 'the wait and see what happens'

it's going to get juicy around '20