CSNbbs
Cleveland Indians removing Chief logo - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Sports Bar (/forum-531.html)
+----- Forum: Pro Sports (/forum-516.html)
+----- Thread: Cleveland Indians removing Chief logo (/thread-841460.html)

Cleveland Indians removing Chief logo - PirateTreasureNC - 01-30-2018 11:48 AM

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/22255143/cleveland-indians-removing-chief-wahoo-logo-uniforms

How you guys feel about it?

My thoughts:

1) The Indians logo to me looks like a caricature so I can buy it being offensive more so than others under that banner.

2) In comparison to other pro franchises you have the Blackhawks (NHL), Chiefs (NFL), and Redskins (NFL). While really the Redskins and the Blackhawks are arguably the closest comparison. No one seems to get upset about those.

3) This has hit the college ranks yet somehow not to many get riled up over the Seminoles as the most prominent one . Not sure about other colleges who use a Indian themed moniker.

4) If you play Devil's advocate then you have Vikings, Celtics, and Cowboys along those lines of thought.

RE: Cleveland Indians removing Chief logo - Wedge - 01-30-2018 01:13 PM

Yeah, the caricature makes the Wahoo logo an obvious one that should go.

I personally think it's ok to keep the Indians nickname without using any mascots or representations of people purporting to be Indians -- which is apparently the route the Kansas City Chiefs have taken, for example -- but obviously not everyone agrees.

Teams should be careful with any team name that represents actual people. The Boston Celtics "mascot" guy, if you can call him that, appears to smartly avoid any of the obvious negative caricatures.

RE: Cleveland Indians removing Chief logo - C2__ - 01-30-2018 02:23 PM

(01-30-2018 11:48 AM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/22255143/cleveland-indians-removing-chief-wahoo-logo-uniforms

My thoughts:

1) The Indians logo to me looks like a caricature so I can buy it being offensive more so than others under that banner.

2) In comparison to other pro franchises you have the Blackhawks (NHL), Chiefs (NFL), and Redskins (NFL). While really the Redskins and the Blackhawks are arguably the closest comparison. No one seems to get upset about those.

3) This has hit the college ranks yet somehow not to many get riled up over the Seminoles as the most prominent one . Not sure about other colleges who use a Indian themed moniker.

4) If you play Devil's advocate then you have Vikings, Celtics, and Cowboys along those lines of thought.

The NCAA was going to force Florida State to change it but the Seminole tribe protested because they took pride in being represented.

This one was an obvious one that needed to go because it's a big smiling logo, let alone a caricature.

That said, whether they officially retire it or not, as long as the Indians keep the current color scheme, it will never be retired and will show up among the fans, both in public and in the stadium.

RE: Cleveland Indians removing Chief logo - vandiver49 - 01-31-2018 01:40 PM

(01-30-2018 02:23 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  
(01-30-2018 11:48 AM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/22255143/cleveland-indians-removing-chief-wahoo-logo-uniforms

My thoughts:

The NCAA was going to force Florida State to change it but the Seminole tribe protested because they took pride in being represented.

This one was an obvious one that needed to go because it's a big smiling logo, let alone a caricature.

That said, whether they officially retire it or not, as long as the Indians keep the current color scheme, it will never be retired and will show up among the fans, both in public and in the stadium.

They are just making it official. Last year the Tribe used the ‘Block C’ as the cap logo, with Wahoo being relegated to the sleeve logo on the blue jerseys. I guess he can go to the same place Chief Nocahoma retired to.

RE: Cleveland Indians removing Chief logo - BobcatEngineer - 01-31-2018 03:47 PM

My thoughts:

1) As an Indians fan, I'm totally fine with Chief Wahoo being removed from their jerseys. Lots of my friends are upset, but they'll still be selling Chief Wahoo gear at Progressive and I think people will eventually get over it. Besides, I think these cartoon caricatures depicting racial groups need to be a thing of the past.

2) I think plenty of people are upset with the Redskins. If not the logo, than DEFINITELY the name.

3) In 2005, the NCAA did a evaluation of colleges using Native American monikers. 19 were sited for having "hostile or abusive" names and were pretty much forced to change them or else forfeit the ability to host tournaments in the future. Some colleges, such as Central Michigan (Chippewas), Utah (Utes), and Florida State (Seminoles) were granted waivers because they had gotten permission from the various local tribes to use the mascot. Others, like Arkansas State, changed their name due to this from the Indians to the Red Wolves.

4) I think Vikings and Celtics mostly reflect the shared heritage of a large group people who call Minnesota and Boston, respectively, home. For instance, roughly a third of people who live in Minnesota are of Scandinavian decent, and everyone knows, Boston is synonymous with their Irish background.

Cowboy is a profession. I really can't see how anyone would be offended about that. If that were that case, you could add the Edmonton Oilers, Green Bay Packers, Pittsburgh Steelers, Milwaukee Brewers, etc... to the list.

RE: Cleveland Indians removing Chief logo - C2__ - 01-31-2018 07:04 PM

You offend people who are sensitive about being sterotyped as country but Cowboys is fine. Most in Texas embrace the culture.

RE: Cleveland Indians removing Chief logo - Wedge - 01-31-2018 07:47 PM

(01-31-2018 03:47 PM)BobcatEngineer Wrote:  4) I think Vikings and Celtics mostly reflect the shared heritage of a large group people who call Minnesota and Boston, respectively, home. For instance, roughly a third of people who live in Minnesota are of Scandinavian decent, and everyone knows, Boston is synonymous with their Irish background.

Those mascots are not limited to those localities, though. We have high schools in California with the Viking mascot, even though neither Leif Eriksen nor any other Viking explorer was ever within 1,000 miles of California. There isn't even any concentration of residents of Scandinavian descent.

RE: Cleveland Indians removing Chief logo - C2__ - 01-31-2018 07:57 PM

Yeah but that's high school. There's so many high schools that wouldn't it be boring if all the high schools were generic mascots like Tigers, Lions, Wildcats (none of which are present locally pretty much any place in the US outside of a zoo)? Plus, they copy off the college and pro names anyways.

I think he was just pointing out that in some cases they weren't just chosen at random and also embraced by the locals.

RE: Cleveland Indians removing Chief logo - BadgerMJ - 02-01-2018 07:25 AM

My thoughts:

We've become a society that's SO outraged at the least little thing that we're in a state of being perpetually offended.

I can answer that with one simple line from a great movie.

As Sergeant Hulka once said..... "Lighten up Francis"....

RE: Cleveland Indians removing Chief logo - PirateTreasureNC - 02-01-2018 11:55 AM

(02-01-2018 07:25 AM)BadgerMJ Wrote:  I can answer that with one simple line from a great movie.

As Sergeant Hulka once said..... "Lighten up Francis"....

The Indians logo was kind of borderline IMO considering the cartoonish design of it I could buy it being offensive. Just about everything else no so much.

RE: Cleveland Indians removing Chief logo - EPJr2 - 07-12-2020 06:08 PM

and now the name?